News:

• April 28, 2024, 07:33:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Old time Flite Streak  (Read 3003 times)

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Old time Flite Streak
« on: April 21, 2009, 02:22:19 PM »
  OK, I know it isn't, but I seem to fly better with a Streak than anything else I've tried.  What Old Time legal airplanes would come closest to matching Flite Streak performance when the Streak has a Fox 35 for power?  How about some suggestions?  It doesn't have to be a profile, but Fox power would be nice. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon
Just North of the California border

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Old time Flite Streak
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2009, 04:27:59 PM »
I don't think there is an OTS equivalent to the Flite Streak.  I think a Barnstormer or a B-C Trixter Profile with a Fox 35 would be pretty good. Another possibility is the BoxCar Chief, which flies amazing well with a Fox 35. I'm flying an Australian Herns' Demon with Fox 35. It is OK, but nowhere near a Flite Streak.   

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2009, 05:41:02 PM »
Interesting about the Boxcar Chief.  I have been thinking that it looks like something I would like to build.  Thanks.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2009, 07:03:36 PM »
I'm not sure about using a Fox, but my Feno with an OS FP20 flies quite a bit like a Flite Streak with the same engine.  Unlike most OTS airplanes, the Feno has a very thick wing (like a Flite Streak) and can be built at about 27 oz weight.  The RSM kit is very good and the wood is light.  It even lands better than many OTS airplanes like the Ringmaster and El Diablo.

Steve

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2009, 07:17:50 PM »
Steve, I've heard of the Feno, but where could I get plans?  Barry Baxter and Leonard don't list them..
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2009, 07:20:12 PM »
Do you have a Feno picture?  I have at least seen photos of the Boxcar Chief.
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2009, 08:01:08 PM »

There is a picture of the Feno on Eric Rules RSM site at:

http://www.rsmdistribution.com/index-2.htm

Also, plans are available from the AMA plans service.  This is a reproduction of the Model Airplane News construction article that shows the two versions of Feno.  The OTS version has a short nose with an upright engine.

Keith

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2009, 10:28:44 PM »

Here are some:

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2009, 07:20:55 AM »
Hello Russell

If you are looking for something similar to the Streak -  How about a Super Clown w/o the flaps for OTS ????
The Fox .35 might be a bit much for it though..

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2009, 09:16:55 AM »
Super Clown with Fox 35 Stunt and a 10-5 prop.  The Flite Streak I flew back in the day were Fox Combat Special powered with 9-7 props.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2009, 12:32:57 PM »

Here is my OTS version.  The RSM kit builds either an inverted engine classic legal airplane with moveable flaps or an upright engine fixed flap version which is legal for old time.

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 22, 2009, 12:52:38 PM »
What about an Easy? 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #12 on: April 22, 2009, 02:00:24 PM »
   Never had an Easy but I was looking at the plans a couple days ago.  Looks pretty "easy" to build and I  like the upright engine.

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 22, 2009, 07:34:21 PM »
One part of this equation may be that your flite streak naturally was in better trim than any other plane you flew . Perhaps its a matter more of the plane replicating the flite streaks trim, than the flite streak itself? I dont know your level of experience, or expertise, can only make an assesment based upon your equipment selection so I may be off base here. But Unless you spend some significant time trimming each plane, I would say perhaps its just the natural of the bench trim of the flite streak that you are liking.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 22, 2009, 09:12:12 PM »
Barnstormer! Or Still's Stuka! I kinda hate to say it, but Jamison Special is also a good one. The Viking is a good match for the Fox, too.  If you fly on grass, OTS models makes sense. But then again, a later design with the LG moved forward would be even better.  H^^ Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2009, 08:49:46 AM »
Easy with an upright engine? Not familiar with that one.

Offline Dalton Hammett

• 21 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2009, 09:01:00 AM »
I may be looking at the wrong plane - LeRoy Decharme's Easy, 39"  ---  But then again , I guess it isn't OTS qualified...........

Dalton H.
Dalton Hammett  
Albion, Pa.
Bean Hill Flyers
AMA  29918

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2009, 10:10:36 AM »
Steve, I do fly off grass, and Mark, "expertise" is something I don't have.  I'm working on the beginner pattern.  I have more than one Flite Streak and they all feel comfortable to me.  My Twister on the other hand has a magic attraction to the dirt.  I have to glue the rear fuselage back on for the third time.  It probably does have trim problems but I'm not smart enough to figure it out. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: April 23, 2009, 10:35:26 AM »
Russel
since all flite streaks are more or less created "equal" it would be safe to assume that they would generally be somewhat close to each other in trim.
perhaps if you could share what happens when your twister decides to chew dirt, there could be some long distance advice to help enlighten you as to changes that may help the survivability of your creations.
things like where you have it balanced,, what line length you are using, what are your lap times,,and what happens right before the shower of dust happens,,

as Robert Palmer said,, " looking for clues"  ;D
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Russell Shaffer

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2009, 10:50:48 AM »
Mark, I think my major Twister problem is pilot error.  I just pull out too low sometimes.  I made a 6 inch pullout with a Streak the other day, for example, and my Twister just wouldn't have made the turn.  I've tried CG points from just behind the LE clear back to the spar, and it does best for me right where the plans show.  I think I will increase the elevator travel when it gets back together today.  It won't be as smooth but maybe it will turn quicker when I need to save it.  Mostly I need more flight time. 
Russell Shaffer
Klamath Falls, Oregon

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2009, 11:12:22 AM »
You may want to look and make sure that the flap elevator movement is proportional. In other words, make sure that if the elevator moves up 30 degrees, and the flap moves down 30 degrees, then when the elevator moves down 30 degrees that the flap moves the same 30 degrees up. Insure you have symetrical movement in other words. I trust you have checked your lateral balance, as in tip weight? how long are your lines? and how fast are your lap times. One other issue, if the plane is to heavy,, for a twister I would think about 45 oz would be a HIGH number,  then you could be stalling it as you try to turn, and it cant turn when you want it to. it will just mush into the ground. If its fairly heavy, then you want MORE flap movement for the same elevator movement, not less. this will help generate lift to turn the plane.

If you want, I can PM you my phone number and we can chat live that way,, maybe we can work up a plan of attack, not that I am any great expert, but it wasnt long ago that I was right where you are now,, like two years maybe?
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: April 24, 2009, 03:38:12 PM »
Mark, I think my major Twister problem is pilot error.  I just pull out too low sometimes.  I made a 6 inch pullout with a Streak the other day, for example, and my Twister just wouldn't have made the turn.  I've tried CG points from just behind the LE clear back to the spar, and it does best for me right where the plans show.  I think I will increase the elevator travel when it gets back together today.  It won't be as smooth but maybe it will turn quicker when I need to save it.  Mostly I need more flight time. 

I know it's a bit of a haul for a local contest, but we are having a contest in Woodland, CA, on Sunday. If you want to come down and fly I am sure some of us would take a look at it and see what is going on. About 300 miles straight down I-5. Contact me in email if you want the details.

Brett

Online afml

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: April 25, 2009, 05:00:24 PM »

"Tight lines!"

Wes
Wes Eakin

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here