News:

• April 30, 2024, 07:50:36 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Nose Moments  (Read 2331 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Nose Moments
« on: March 13, 2010, 06:29:06 PM »
Is there any aerodynamic reason for the long noses I see on stunt planes, is this just a way to achieve balance, or are we all just in the habit of making a good mechanical fit of the engine and tank without (horrors!) notching the leading edge of the wing?

Put another way, if I've got a heavy engine, is there any reason _not_ to shorten the nose, as an alternative to building it long and having to put weight in the tail?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Nose Moments
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2010, 02:47:23 PM »
There's no aerodynamic reason I can think of.  I've heard some bogus ones.

Among the reasons you cited, you left out looking cool. 
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2010, 12:02:21 PM »
I have always thought that the nose length issue was related more to moving the flywheel of the prop. I know that if I change the flywheel characteristic of the prop by going say from a EW to a W I can feel the difference. The issue then would seem to be mechanical and not aerodynamic.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2010, 12:38:47 PM »
I've always believed that nose moment is most often determined by the space required for the engine, and a tank large enough to fly through the pattern with. The tail moment therefore, has to be long enough to balance the nose. Couple that with proper numbers for the wing-flaps-stab-elevators, and you've a good start on a stunt design. H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2010, 12:44:06 PM »
The flywheel effect is a moment, not a force.  Where it happens on a rigid airplane doesn't matter.  
The Jive Combat Team

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »
The flywheel effect is a moment, not a force.  Where it happens on a rigid airplane doesn't matter.  

If the flywheel efferct remains a constant and the distance to the center of lift changes there is no effect? An honest question about levers and such because this is your wheelhouse. Teachable moment (doh)  and all that. Thanks.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2010, 03:35:46 PM »
If the flywheel efferct remains a constant and the distance to the center of lift changes there is no effect? An honest question about levers and such because this is your wheelhouse. Teachable moment (doh)  and all that. Thanks.
If I'm reading your wording right, yes.

The flywheel effect, by itself, is a pure torque.  Torques act the same on a rigid body in free space regardless of where they are applied.

If there are any other effects from the prop (I think there's some lift to be had from a prop that isn't at right angle to the line of flight) then that'll show up differently as its lever arm changes.  But I have no clue how significant these effects may be (or even their direction) -- hence my question.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2010, 04:01:46 PM »
If I'm reading your wording right, yes.

The flywheel effect, by itself, is a pure torque.  Torques act the same on a rigid body in free space regardless of where they are applied.

If there are any other effects from the prop (I think there's some lift to be had from a prop that isn't at right angle to the line of flight) then that'll show up differently as its lever arm changes.  But I have no clue how significant these effects may be (or even their direction) -- hence my question.
Is the load I'm fighting to visualize the precession load? I can feel a change in the damping effect of the prop. What is the change that causes this perception or change in feel? Short nosed stunters lack damping comming out of a corner. We used to make our rat racer noses as short as possible and balanced them at the same point on the wing as John K's. Ours were faster with the same engine and pulled a lot less. They also flew a LOT better. I know this from lots of 1000 lap races where MOBA and I each flew at least 5 to 6 races with everyone elses planes. All of this is just fuzzy logic.... The older I get the fuzzier it gets...... It is worth noting that we used wood props that were a lot lighter than the nylon horrors John was spinning...
« Last Edit: March 15, 2010, 04:52:22 PM by Dave Adamisin »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2010, 05:13:41 PM »
Gyroscopic effect = precession.

A 'pure' gyro has no damping -- damping would have to come from aerodynamic forces on the prop.

Maybe I should make some planes with different nose moments and give them a try.

Were your long nose racers balanced with long tails?  Long tails would tend to give damping on the corners, regardless of any propeller effect.
AMA 64232

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2010, 06:51:45 PM »
Actually ours were the short nose racers. The tank (Hoyer Bongo with quick fill with the front cut off to move it bsck to the QF pipe) were up within a 1/4 in of the venturi and the quick fill tube was against the leading edge of the wing. Hard to make them shorter. This I suppose made the tail moment longer than  the normal pan type rats. It was sop for others to balance the plane by moving the wing back and forth to get the balance right. We had a standard set of moments and hollowed the body to set the balance. The longer tail moment (the pans were all the same length so if you moved the wing forward the tail could get longer)probably help the flight responsiveness. They would actually climb and dive without slowing too much. Back to stunters.... Gonna read some...

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2010, 09:46:38 AM »
The flywheel effect, by itself, is a pure torque.  Torques act the same on a rigid body in free space regardless of where they are applied.

Thank you!  Exactly correct, but so rarely grasped by stunt fliers.

Brett

Dave Adamisin

« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2010, 08:13:25 PM »
   Thank you!  Exactly correct, but so rarely grasped by stunt fliers.

Brett
So the effective issue is the precession? Or the force necessary to "deflect" the propeller disk/flywheel? The nose moment is defined from? I see the pitch moments defined as levers front and rear with the fulcrum at the wings center of lift. If there is no change in the effect of the propeller disk but the front lever is lengthened/shortened to accomidate the static balance of the system, the propeller disk has no effect on the responce of the system? Honest questions no other motive.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2010, 08:47:19 PM »
Deal with prop effects with a bit of down thrust. You still need enough room to mount the engine, and a large enough tank to get through the pattern. When you take away, or diminish the prop effects with thrust line adjustments, you're left with physical weight, and moment adjustments, needed to balance the plane fore and aft.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2010, 12:32:47 AM »
So the effective issue is the precession? Or the force necessary to "deflect" the propeller disk/flywheel? The nose moment is defined from? I see the pitch moments defined as levers front and rear with the fulcrum at the wings center of lift. If there is no change in the effect of the propeller disk but the front lever is lengthened/shortened to accomidate the static balance of the system, the propeller disk has no effect on the responce of the system? Honest questions no other motive.

The nose moment makes NO difference aside from the balance and mass properties. The point he was trying to make is that any torques arising from the propellor rotation are the same regardless of the nose moment. It's clear that precession and p-factor are both real things but they have nothing to do with the nose moment.

OF course the original question - aerodynamic effects - is also no (or at least negligible). Many/most of the important features of stunt plane performance have nothing at all to do with aerodynamics, although that about all we talk about.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2010, 03:27:49 PM »
The terms "nose moment" and "tail moment" seem to be peculiar to stunt.  I remember hearing them as a kid and figuring I'd learn their significance in school.  I never did.  The standard definition of "moment" in physics (and engineering) is torque.  I figure that somebody a long time ago was making a list of stunt plane parameters and picked some lengths he could measure and named them "moments".  As to from where to where the "nose moment" is defined, you'd have to ask the guy who defined it.  I'm pretty sure it has no significance.  Tail length does have an aerodynamic significance, and is usually measured from the quarter (mean aerodynamic) chord of the wing to that of the tail.  I don't know if that's the same as "tail moment".

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2010, 03:41:08 PM »
OF course the original question - aerodynamic effects - is also no (or at least negligible). Many/most of the important features of stunt plane performance have nothing at all to do with aerodynamics, although that about all we talk about.

This is kinda interesting, because: a) if there were an aerodynamic effect, however small, Brett would be the one who could feel it, and 2) Brett has no doubt seen the data on it.  A guy at Brett's company, with whom Brett probably worked, wrote about a zillion papers on aerodynamic characteristics of airplane and rocket noses. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2010, 02:39:48 PM »
Gee Howard,

I didn't know Brett's company name was classified?  Guess I better not use it anymore...... 

Jim Pollock    n~

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2010, 07:16:13 PM »
Gee Howard,

I didn't know Brett's company name was classified?  Guess I better not use it anymore...... 

Howard is just scared that, if a Boeing guy uttered it (even a retired Boeing guy), they would be struck with plagues, pestilence, and probably meteorites and lightning too. You see what happened to the Nazis that opened the Ark, well, then you get the idea.

Brett

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2010, 07:18:43 PM »
This is kinda interesting, because: a) if there were an aerodynamic effect, however small, Brett would be the one who could feel it, and 2) Brett has no doubt seen the data on it.  A guy at Brett's company, with whom Brett probably worked, wrote about a zillion papers on aerodynamic characteristics of airplane and rocket noses. 

I doubt it was anyone I worked with - I have so far managed to avoid having to deal with AIR in my professional life.

I am not sure who you would be referring to, and I haven't read many useful papers (aside from the VERY interesting but not stunt-related study about aerospikes and burning aerospikes on Trident missiles. )

Brett

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 22, 2010, 11:45:35 AM »

Dennis, I've also noticed changing the prop, sometimes even between different shapes with the same diameter and pitch, can affect the "feel" you mention.  It might be due to P effect, which is especially noticeable on two bladed propellors.  When the plane is pitched to an angle of attack the airflow does not hit the propellor straight on, so the downgoind blade is at a higher angle of attack than the up going blade.  When you come out of a maneuver, this effect disappears and it might contribute to a better feel of when the plane is at 0 angle of attack.

A bigger problem though, at least for me, is sort of a mental lock.  Trying to hit a sharp corner your mind kind of gets locked in and the plane has turned too far before you can break it loose.  Trying harder to feel what the control pressures are, and trying to time max control movement with the actual position of the plane in the maneuver also seems to help break this.  Next thing to try is an exponential bellcrank to get a less sensitive neutral.
phil Cartier

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2010, 04:47:20 PM »
I could be wrong here, but I would venture to say that long nose moments are less difficult to pitch up or down when the are propped with less circ. Shorter nose moments seem to gain some stability from large props and in fact seem to fly off of the prop so to speak.

Practically, as John put so well, the significance of the nose moment for our purposes is simply a function of accommodating engine and tank for a 6 minute or so run.

Short nose big prop designs seem to turn differently...looks like the tail slides back and locks on the desired attitude and kind of pivots/ turns on the prop arc more so than the wing. Somewhat an illusion but you can see and feel the difference at the handle.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: March 24, 2010, 10:56:34 PM »
Hmmm,

I believe Brett's Aerodynamic Guru is Ted.  And Howard it's O.K. to say L O C K H E E D Occasionally.  After all Paul was on loan to them for a time wasn't he?

Jim Pollock   8)  In disguise...

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: March 25, 2010, 02:47:52 AM »
Tourque is a force  as in Lbs / in .

Moment a DISTANCE  . as in In.

So we CAN have Lb / in / in .

Or levarage  . Applied Moment .

Prop AND crankshaft are BOTH gyroscopes , and all the other little spinning bits , including the big end .

Wottl happen if we put a chap with a gyroscope in one oNASA's centrefuges . Better not've eaten ? !

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: March 25, 2010, 03:16:52 AM »
Moment is the same as torque.  Its units are force x distance.  A moment arm is a distance.  You can look it up.  Way back when, somebody named a bunch of stunt plane measurements using scientific-sounding words he'd heard, but didn't really know the real meanings of.  It's been difficult to decode what stunt flyers are talking about ever since.

Lars Ericsson is the Lockheed guy to whom I was referring.  He was a prolific paper writer.  Sorry, I didn't mean to be cryptic. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2010, 10:11:16 PM »
Geez guys... my old man explained what a "moment" was when I was nine. In short..as Howard said it is simply a distance. That distance in relation to other distances on either side of a fulcrum is why they call it a "nose moment" or "tail moment" using the CG as the fulcrum or pitch axis I believe. If I am wrong I am sure someone will let me know. :P

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 26, 2010, 10:20:15 PM »
That's a moment arm.  Moment is torque.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2010, 10:17:54 AM »
Now, let's really go crazy and introduce the term 'couple.'

#^
\BEST\LOU

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 03:51:23 PM »
Ty, and I'll try to get this right, after a goof in the "shrinking" thread, here...

Gyro precession acts to move the axis of the gyro disk in the direction of the pressure applied, but 90° later in the rotating mass's direction of rotation.  E.g, think a CCW flying ukie w/CCW rotating prop (viewed as from starting position): --

In effect, giving UP input would be pushing the top of the prop disk back. 90° later in prop rotation is the outboard side of the disk. We get a nose-out tendency on UP-input. Vice versa, a nose-in tendency on DOWN-input, where we in effect push the bottom of the prop disk back. 90° later moves the push to the inboard half of the prop disk.

J'ever hold the axle of a bicycle wheel by hand, have someone spin the wheel, then try to turn the axle's length direction??? Kinda convincing...
\BEST\LOU

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #28 on: March 30, 2010, 01:46:53 PM »
I do not read this section of the forum so often, so sorry for late input ... I will react to Brett’s comment, because it has actually just that what I want react to:

The nose moment makes NO difference aside from the balance and mass properties. The point he was trying to make is that any torques arising from the propellor rotation are the same regardless of the nose moment. It's clear that precession and p-factor are both real things but they have nothing to do with the nose moment.

This is mechanically ok, but if we speak about P-factor, and now I mean that which comes from side wind and which make pitching moment up and which we must balance by down tail moment, that IS depending on nose length ... just imagine, if the prop is exactly at tangent point, then it has zero side wind, but extremely long nose will cause side wind and thus prop will make up moment. However that difference is very small.

Here I will not agree too much … the position of the fuselage to the flying path (or position of LO to the CG) is very important, and side wind can change it, and short/long nose can change proper balance if side areas, which can lead to improper flying properties in the wind … I know that in time when we tried outboard mounted engines and when we had extremely thin and short noses with heavy MVVS 40, we needed to install additional fins on nose, to extend its side area.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 30, 2010, 04:55:20 PM »
Them I believe.
That makes one of us.  Gyroscopic precession would only happen while the airplane is pitching.  Those guys can tell you what to do, but their scientific explanations are sometimes suspect. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 30, 2010, 06:22:08 PM »
What happened to the old "enough room" for the engine and tank thingy like we use to do. :'(
Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 31, 2010, 01:14:59 AM »
Yep, pitching is up and down in airplanes, too, and rolling is from side to side.  The gyroscopic effect would require rudder one way when the airplane is pitching up (proportional to pitch rate) and the other way when it is pitching down.   I don't know what all goes on during a takeoff in a propeller airplane, but what you're talking about sounds like the effect of torque, which would be the greatest when the airplane is slow and the engine is running hard.

I had a boss who bought a P-51.  He hadn't flown anything like it before, but he calculated how much rudder to put in on takeoff.  He was a little off in his calculation.  On his first takeoff he made an abrupt turn and came really close to the tower.  Lots of people were waiting to talk to him when he landed.   
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: March 31, 2010, 06:56:06 AM »
Communication seems to have broken down slightly over differentiating "pitching" vs "pitched." It is while the nose is rotating up or down (pitching) that the precession effect takes place - as Howard said. After it has settled at some pitch angle (i.e. is 'pitched'), there is no precession from pitching, although there is still precession from flying in a circle (yawing) that causes an upward pitching force. However, the other prop effect does take place when there is an aoa. We need to keep these separate.

Igor has a point about the nose side area. The air meets the nose from the inside of the circle when the plane is flying tangent to the circle at its c.g. However, I hadn't realized that the effect was that notiicable, considering the longer tail arm and its side/fin area, along which air passes from the outside.

SK

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #33 on: March 31, 2010, 01:23:53 PM »
Just to help me start to follow this :- So other than slightly moving the cg back, Duke Fox achieved nothing when he made his specially short nosed combat engines?
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: March 31, 2010, 02:13:51 PM »
Duke moved the prop mass back. This would have reduced the polar moment of inertia of the plane, increasing its pitch rate. Moving mass rearward, even when it is increased to maintain the chosen c.g. can still achieve this, although the minimum turn radius will increase. Interestingly,...

If the plane balances with a greater weight on a shorter nose or has a shorter nose and shorter tail to balance it, then its polar moment of inertia can be smaller. This basically means that the plane can be pitched more quickly (higher angular acceleration). The moment of inertia is proportional to the first power of mass and the second power of the radius (distance from point of rotation); so the radius dominates. That is something of value to combat flyers, but usually not needed by stunt folks, whose planes pitch quickly enough to challenge reflexes, but also need some pitch damping to allow smooth recovery without overshooting, or overcorrecting causing point-losing wiggles.

For example, since for concentrated masses, the moment of inertia I = mr2,  we can change only two things: the mass or the radius ('of gyration'). Suppose our engine/prop has a mass of 10 mass units of some sort and its center of mass is located 10 appropriate length units ahead of the plane's center of mass.

So m1 = 10, and r1 = 10.  The moment of inertia contribution from the engine/prop, to be countered by the elevator's torque, is I1 = 10 x 102 = 1000 units.

If we double the engine/prop's weight and re-balance the plane, we will find that it will balance with the engine half the previous distance forward of the chosen c.g.

So m2 = 20, and r2 = 5. The moment of inertia contribution from the engine is now I = 20 x 52 = 500 units.

By mounting even an engine/prop combination twice as heavy, we have cut the inertial moment in half. The plane will actually pitch quicker, even though it will require much more lift (higher aoa) for maneuvering.

So, in short, Duke probably had a reason for that. The shorter shaft moved the prop in and probably saved some mass. This would have made for quicker turns. As we've seen above, this can be done even with heavier weights. There is another related consideration - FWIW. For light engines like Fox .35's, adding shaft extensions may reduce the polar moment of inertia by moving the largest mass (engine) back, but it can and usually does move the c.g. forward, rather than back. I think a lot of classic stunters actually got heavier and gained turn radius due to the mistaken use of these devices. The point of c.g. benefit for extensions on classic sized/proportioned planes is somewhere around engine weights of 10 oz. 'but of course, "we don't need no steenkin' math."
SK
« Last Edit: March 31, 2010, 02:37:36 PM by Serge_Krauss »

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: March 31, 2010, 02:50:06 PM »
I'll bet that Duke's main consideration was the mass of his wallet. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 09:12:25 PM »
Hi Gang,
Nose length or moment arm is bad!
The nose should, as a practical matter, be just long enough to balance the plane and no more.

The prop is a destabilizing influence.
It produces a "sideward" force in the direction that the axis of prop rotation is inclined to the oncoming air.
This can easily amount to a similar effect as having an unintended canard surface of ~3% of the prop disc area placed where the prop is.
That requires either more tail or a more forward CG, and that's without any gyrosopic whatevers going on.

take care,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here