News:

• May 02, 2024, 01:11:12 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Is there a simple trick...  (Read 1922 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Is there a simple trick...
« on: September 17, 2010, 12:49:13 AM »
I put this in stunt design because I was not sure where else to ask this. Is there a simple way to turn three view and other drawings iinto better black and white only drawings ? Seems any three view I try to expan gets so blurry Its unreadable and much of the white ares turn shades of gray.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Is there a simple trick...
« Reply #1 on: September 17, 2010, 08:24:08 AM »
Not that I know of, other than by hand work.  I use QCad to do my drafting.  It'll let me lay a jpg under the work that I'm doing; I do that, then I look for the line/circle/whatever that'll fit nicely into the middle of the expanded line.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2010, 10:50:21 AM »
I don't know how you are trying to blow-up your 3 views, but I work on plan copiers and plotters for a living, and have no problems blowing-up old Flying Models A4 size magazine drawings to working size! Yes, the lines get a little thicker, but they are nice and black, and reasonably sharp! The plan copier that gives the best results for me, is the Ricoh 240W or the Ricoh MPW2400, and you can scan your 3 view to a memory stick and print it that way! ;D

Cheers    Neville
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2010, 12:29:24 PM »
I put this in stunt design because I was not sure where else to ask this. Is there a simple way to turn three view and other drawings iinto better black and white only drawings ? Seems any three view I try to expan gets so blurry Its unreadable and much of the white ares turn shades of gray.

If we are talking digital images, jack up the contrast. Actually, that would work with photo-reproduction (they make special super-high-contrast copy film) or Xerox machines.

Brett

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2010, 01:03:05 PM »
Yes they are digital plan copier/printers/scanners. If the M/c is in good order the copy quality will be superb.

Cheers   Neville

(not) Descartes

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2010, 03:50:52 PM »
M/c? I'm considering buying a wide format printer for roughly $150. Nothing great but will serve 2 functions.
Printing both plans and printing wing skins on silkspan or tissue paper.

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2010, 09:32:41 PM »
M/c,  shorthand! for machine ;D

Cheers

(not) Descartes

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 06:59:05 PM »
It's pretty amazing sometimes what you can do on your PC with a zero-cost graphics program like Irfanview to recover and improve images.

Here's an example of a friend's "business logo" (for Blind Hog Research, where "even a blind hog gets an occasional acorn") scanned from a faded, yellowed sheet over 25 year's old. I thought the result came out pretty good, good enough to have on the wing of a stunt ship!

(Imagine what someone could do with a Mac running full-pop Photoshop or similar.) ;->

L.

"It's no credit to anyone to work too hard." -Ed Howe
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline t michael jennings

• AMA 83322
  • 2016 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2011, 03:49:56 PM »
Gentlemen,

Which is the best format to scan a plan from a magazine?

XXX.jpg
                  XXX.pdf

What should the resolution be set on the scanner?

dots/inch      300; 600; 1200

Thanks for the info.

T Michael Jennings                      D>K
Knoxville, TN.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2011, 09:59:29 PM »
Gentlemen,

XXX.jpg
                  XXX.pdf

Thanks for the info.

Knoxville, TN.

HI T. Michael,

Although I know there is a difference in jpg and pdf, I don't know EXACTLY what it is.  I do kow that all my pdf files open in Adobe while I can open jpgs in other programs.   

I do artwork for decals in coreldraw which is a vector based (mathematical formulas I'm told) which reproduces sharper image when enlarged or shrunk that "raster" programs like some of the "raster" (sp?) programs that come installed on the computers.  Maybe jpg and pdf are similar?

I do know that the higher you set the resolution when scanning, the better the copy is when printing.  Especially when enlarging.  And the higher setting takes longer to scan. ;D

Not much help, but I know the guys who scan plans seem to prefer the pdf format, and I would scan as high as I could.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 21, 2011, 03:55:43 PM »
Gentlemen,

XXX.jpg
                  XXX.pdf

Thanks for the info.

Knoxville, TN.

A PDF or portable document file has both vector and raster formats combined in other words fonts are still editable fonts, graphics are still editable graphics but it exists in a compressed form that is very 'portable' or easily transmissible.

A JPEG file is simply a compressed graphic file that is degraded depending upon its settings.

Now the question of which format is best for a scanned graphic would be best answered by the use of the  highest  quality setting of 12 in the JPEG format captured at 1200 dpi.
This may result in huge final files though, so drop the resolution to suit what your needs are mate.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2011, 02:00:52 AM »
While you can blow up magazine plans and small sketches to a larger size, typically the lines get wider and wider.  Several graphics programs are available that are supposed to converts raster images to drawings- Corel Draw is one, Photoshop also, I believe.  I've never had any success with Corel.  It generates tons and tons of lines that take forever to clean up.  I've had the best luck, like Tim Wescott, drawing over a JPG image.  It is pretty easy to set lines up to follow the center of the line on the graphic.  Knowing key measurements from the real model or plane helps a lot to set the overall sizes.

One thing to watch out for- many of the plans I've seen published lately in magazines are just pieces of the plans, and often they use different sizes and scaling so it is very difficult to draw up for use.  Some of them use different scales on different pieces of the plane.  In one case the top and side views were different scales so the wing chord and thickness did not match.  Fortunately I knew the designer and he gave me the correct numbers.

Good Luck.
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here