News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:02:47 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: IS THEIR A BETTER WAY that a conventional U control handle? DAAA???  (Read 965 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
I noticed on the Stunt Grunt of the Day....Don Clemens had a funny little spring loaded handle that he would "trigger" every time he flew invented?
When I was a mere child...(in Jr. High School in DesMoines Iowa...around 1953 I made up a weird little handle that I could hold in either the upright or upside down position?
In truth it worked for a while...but soon my thumb got blisters and I had to repair my little El Diablo about 4 times until I gave up and flew with a conventional handle?

Anyone else ever try somethin' like these attached flying handles?
such as just using kite straps...up line in one hand and the down line in the other...or???
a telescoping twist lock alum. handle that could be instantly lengthened and shortened by a mere simple quick twist?
(Still I think our Robin Huntski...in flight dial in up and down was the cats meeeeoooooooowweee? LL~ As much as I loved that handle...I cut the extentions down...which seemed to go along with my muscle trained hot rock handles...(I wish that I had worked longer with Bob's handle before chopping off the extentions.)
I remember lending that handle to someone to try..but somehow it never returned.
Any new thoughts???  or brain stormin about handle design concepts?
Don Shultz

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: IS THEIR A BETTER WAY that a conventional U control handle? DAAA???
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2009, 04:18:10 PM »
Something like this was popular with some folks in the midwest for awhile.  It was a dowel with a piece of 3/16 in. music wire through the center, with loops on the ends.  You held the dowel with the wire between your 2nd and 3rd fingers, with your thumb down on the wire.  The up line on top.  Going inverted, flip your hand over and the down line is on top and the plane flies just like it was rigged for clockwise flight.  It would not be very good for a plane needing a lot of pull to work the controls, since you had little leverage for down(unless you have an extra thumb).  Probably why it faded from use.
phil Cartier

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2009, 03:41:23 PM »
Years ago there was a commercial handle just like what Phil describes.  It was a metal tube that had a flat plat centered on it.  There weere holes for the line clips on the flat plate.  Holding the handle with the thumb pointing in the anti-clock wise direction made the top leg the up side.  With thumb pointing to clock wise the up line was now down.  I think it was to confusing to get used to.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2009, 03:45:13 PM »
I saw a guy fly holding an Easyjust with both hands with his fingers and thumbs on the cables.  He flew pretty well. He said that was how he had learned to fly.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2009, 02:11:28 PM »
This subject should probably be in a different category, but I think that would be Flight Equipment which doesn't yet exsist?  Sparky do we need another category or should this thread go in Open Forum?

Jim Pollock,  Designing administrator

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2009, 07:59:05 PM »
I noticed on the Stunt Grunt of the Day....Don Clemens had a funny little spring loaded handle that he would "trigger" every time he flew invented?
When I was a mere child...(in Jr. High School in DesMoines Iowa...around 1953 I made up a weird little handle that I could hold in either the upright or upside down position?
In truth it worked for a while...but soon my thumb got blisters and I had to repair my little El Diablo about 4 times until I gave up and flew with a conventional handle?

Anyone else ever try somethin' like these attached flying handles?
such as just using kite straps...up line in one hand and the down line in the other...or???
a telescoping twist lock alum. handle that could be instantly lengthened and shortened by a mere simple quick twist?
(Still I think our Robin Huntski...in flight dial in up and down was the cats meeeeoooooooowweee? LL~ As much as I loved that handle...I cut the extentions down...which seemed to go along with my muscle trained hot rock handles...(I wish that I had worked longer with Bob's handle before chopping off the extentions.)
I remember lending that handle to someone to try..but somehow it never returned.
Any new thoughts???  or brain stormin about handle design concepts?
Naw! I just built a lot of planes, most of them crooked!

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2009, 07:39:22 AM »
Maybe this should have been in the open forum, but, it's getting responses.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here