News:

• May 04, 2024, 11:31:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Into the wind drag load vs. prop drag load which is greater?  (Read 2380 times)

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Into the wind drag load vs. prop drag load which is greater?
« on: January 02, 2011, 07:50:39 AM »
Guys,
Has anyone come across information that relates the "into the wind" increase in drag on the airframe vs. that on the prop? What I am getting at is in high wind conditions the ship will come from the downwind side of the circle and hit the wind usually resulting in a slight slowdown till it passes the upwind point then will start to accelerate. The question is when the wind hits there is a sudden increase in airflow over the airframe which increases the drag, it also pushes against the prop windmilling it a bit but it is like the prop is coming from a dive and braking the ship, which one has a greater influence and could the motor be trimmed to pull through this by sensing the load?

Best,       DennisT

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Into the wind drag load vs. prop drag load which is greater?
« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2011, 11:02:04 AM »
That's an interesting topic.  How do you discern going upwind when you want the prop to add power from going downhill when you want the prop to reduce power?   I have an idea, but I haven't tried it yet.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 02, 2011, 11:52:03 AM »
That's an interesting topic.  How do you discern going upwind when you want the prop to add power from going downhill when you want the prop to reduce power?   I have an idea, but I haven't tried it yet.
Do you want the prop to add power going upwind?  Is it better to have the plane flying at a constant ground speed, or is it better to have the plane flying at a constant air speed?  Flying at a constant airspeed would mean that the plane would have to decelerate coming into the wind, not accelerate.

(Note: I'm not being a smarta** here -- I really don't know, and I'm curious as to the answer).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2011, 12:33:01 PM »
I think maybe a constant ground speed, but maybe not.  When we make a system to do constant ground speed, we'll probably find out that's not what we want.  Stunt has a requirements issue.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2011, 02:05:36 PM »
There is also wind drag on the lines, which I think may be more important than wind drag on the airplane.

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2011, 02:23:08 PM »
Surely the airspeed remains the same? its only the ground speed that varies? A 45mph aeroplane with a 15mph tailwind, = 60mph ground speed, then with a 15mph headwind =30mph groundspeed, the ASI still registers 45mph in both directions, right? ??? If you slow down on the downwind side you'll be stalling?

Cheers
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2011, 04:43:11 PM »
There is also wind drag on the lines, which I think may be more important than wind drag on the airplane.

That's interesting, too.  Going into the wind has a different effect on lines, hence airplane yaw angle, than speeding up on the downhill part of the wingover.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2011, 05:03:28 PM »
Stunt has a requirements issue.

Whadda ya mean?  Isn't "make the customer happy" definite and succinct enough for you?

Heck, that's more guidance than I sometimes get from the Marketing team when I'm doing engineering on a new project!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2011, 05:14:37 PM »
I think maybe a constant ground speed, but maybe not.  When we make a system to do constant ground speed, we'll probably find out that's not what we want.  Stunt has a requirements issue.

I think it's about halfway between constant ground speed and constant airspeed. Anyone who was at the 2003 NATs on Friday can see what the effects of constant airspeed can be. Gieske's airplane was 49 oz with a 65, ran along at a constant (low) airspeed, and couldn't make it around the upwind side. Mine was a little closer bit still way too slow going upwind. Mine would have made it if it was about 1/4 sec faster. Just flying level, I would have had a better chance with a Nobler and a Fox than with the regular airplane. Of course, it wouldn't have done many maneuvers, and I would have made it fine if I could have gotten to all of them.

You can see the same "too much speed stability" in less extreme cases, too  - particularly the top legs of the square 8. Its pretty easy to make them too stable with tuned pipe engines and very low pitch. I think it's a compromise between short-term stability (to keep it going in the middle of and out of corners)  and long term speed variation (you need some That's one reason we moved away from the original piped systems, where we ran pretty big 2-blades at 3.25" of pitch at 12,000 in the air - it was amazing in good air, like super-slow-mo, and had no tendency to whip up. They also tended to run out of gas punching back into the wind - it would always make it but you had to make extreme timing corrections to get the tops and bottoms of equal length. I think you need a compromise between the short-term and long-term airspeed stability. You need lots of stability for getting through the middle and exits of corners and not nearly so much for punching back into the wind in places like the square 8 and overheads.

Brett

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #9 on: January 02, 2011, 06:21:42 PM »
So Brett ,

Im still not sure what the answer to the question is.
I do recall the nats you are talking about ( I wasnt there but have heard many stories ) about Bob and yours almost stopping going into the wind.

For me its a question of airframe drag. Not weight or power avaliable. Bobs bear would have been the traditional thicker wing section - Dave has solved that issue of flying into wind with a thinner wing. You mentioned you would have better luck with a Nobler.
My 1951 Nobler with the stalker 61 was brilliant in wind - Didnt notice any decernable difference in up - down wind.
Many people admit the Nobler is a great wind flying model anyway, but with the constant growl of low down torque and ( 47 oz model ) with huge power ( .61 ) made wind penetration a walk in the park.

After that experiment and Daves thundergazer, made me realize its more about airframe drag vs weight. Most of my models now reflect this discovery. Albeit not as drastic as a nobler thickness. ( I must do that oneday... )

If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 02, 2011, 07:28:56 PM »
Interesting thoughts have been presented. The apparent speeding up, and slowing down of our tethered modelos, is not due to anything other than the apparent airspeed being affected by wind speed relative to a fixed point on the ground..

In free air, flying without contraints, as in full sized flight, the airspeed is dependent on the prop pitch, engine rpm, and the state of trim of the aircraft. When balanced out, the 4 forces affecting flight are balanced out. Trimmed to fly level, with the speed and pitch constant, the aircraft is left only affected with the wind speed, and direction.

One of the early skills taught flying full sized craft is a "Turn around a point". It teaches the new pilot about the effects of the wind in the air to maintaining a turn around a specific point on the ground. You quickly learn that the radius of the turn is constantly changing while you attempt to keep your wing tip attached to a point on the ground.

When flying into a head wind, the airspeed indicator still registers the same speed, but ground speed will be, the indicated air speed, less the actual speed of the head wind. one of the skills a new pilot must learn is how to vector these forces. Without these skills, Navigation can be tricky.

An example would be, an indicated air speed of 200 mph. An actual head wind of 60 mph, you would wind up with a ground speed of 140 mph. Your aircrfaft is trimmed to fly at 200 mph, and as far as it is concerned nothing has changed. You sitting inside, will notice nothing, unless you try to turn around a point. Oh yes, if you were flying to destination 200 miles up wind, you will still be 80 miles out after an hours flying. I hope you put enough gas in the tanks to fly about 1 1/2 hours for that 1 hour flight.

If the airspeed did slow down. going into the wind, the plane would loose a proportional amount of lift, and the plane would have to be re-trimmed to maintain level flight.

Since our models are tethered to the ground, in a circular flight patterrn, going up wind, and down wind once each revolution. it appears that the model is speeding up going down wind, and slowing up going into the wind. Since we are not floating in the "river of air" our model is flying in, it appears to be so. Now, if we we're floating in the air, we would not notice this effect at all, relative to ourselves, as we would be affected by the same wind.

So the difference we observe while flying our planes, is not airspeed, but relative ground speed when observed from a stationary, fixed, point on the un-moving ground. This gives rise to the thought that our models are flying at a more constant speed, relative to the air.  D>K
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 02, 2011, 09:36:55 PM »
>>>could the motor be trimmed to pull through this by sensing the load?<<<

that is why the larger (prop, motor) is not always the better  VD~

that is why I need only 12x6 prop in wind and turbulence and it goes to wind well, and still need 10x4 on model in gym (calm) with only 1/10 of weight (I think you are speaking abut constant rpm electric)

simply ... you need proper prop size (power) to mass ratio to keep good speed stability in calm and good penetratin in wind  S?P

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2011, 11:52:58 PM »
For me its a question of airframe drag. Not weight or power avaliable. Bobs bear would have been the traditional thicker wing section - Dave has solved that issue of flying into wind with a thinner wing.

No, PJ, the airplane in question was a Billy-style medium airfoil very close to if not identical to David's (and incidentally very close to the Imitiation and just about every other airplane we flew before the first-generation piped designs). It's only thinner compared to the sort of Trivial Pursuit and Infinity-style wings. Ted, David, and I came to the conclusion that they were probably thicker than we needed quite a while ago.  David's airplane has a Thunderbolt airfoil.

I mentioned the power and weight because the power setup and light weight tend to enhance the speed stability  - negligible momentum and no "carry". Drag is certainly part of it since the drag and weight determine the ballistic coefficient but the engine setup is critical, too, as it can greatly enhance the effect. That's *why* the Trivial Pursuit and Infinity are unnecessarily thick -we were still stuck in the 4-2 break design concept and that's how you dealt with larger engines at the time. We underestimated how effective the engine and prop could be in controlling the speed. It actually still has some desirable characteristics and it makes the performance much less dependent on perfect engine runs, and you would have a tough time finding anything the flies a lot better. 

Mine was only slightly better than Gieseke's, because although it had a much thicker airfoil (with slightly higher parasitic drag) it was also much heavier, which gave it a somewhat better ballistic coefficient. But the engine was still running ram air intake and with that and the overall setup of the engine, it killed any momentum coming around into the wind very effectively. And it was faster to begin with. It was great in the maneuvers but had a lot of problems getting around upwind.

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2011, 02:47:11 PM »
Guys,
It sounds like we need a combination of low drag thinner airfoil for level flight with a flap design to give higher lift then we used in the past and a little extra weight (at the CG). Could slightly larger flaps visa-vee Al Rabe with a thinner section then he used coupled with modern power help get through the tough wind?

Best,      DennisT

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2011, 09:21:55 PM »
Guys,
It sounds like we need a combination of low drag thinner airfoil for level flight with a flap design to give higher lift then we used in the past and a little extra weight (at the CG). Could slightly larger flaps visa-vee Al Rabe with a thinner section then he used coupled with modern power help get through the tough wind?

Al's airfoils are not consequentially different, thickness-wise, to the Imitation type, although the shape is drastically different. Al used his own personal definition of thickness that did not include the flap chord, which is not the conventional way to do it. Once you take that into account you can see that most of us were using something in that ballpark before piped engines came along, maybe 21-22%. The Infinity, by comparison, is 26%, measured the normal way, and is *much* thicker than Al's.

I also don't necessarily think you want more flaps. If nothing else, the hinge moments will greatly increase. By far, the biggest problem in flying piped airplanes in extremely heavy wind is muscling it through the corners. If anything I would do just the opposite - cut the flap area to the bone, if wind flying was the only consideration. With piped airplanes you are going to have *no* problem running out of lift with any reasonable airfoil and any flyable weight. Check out Jim Aron's 585 square inch 64 oz airplane with a very thin airfoil (but a good one with a pretty blunt LE). Oh, and a piped 65.

But designing for conditions like the 2003 NATs is not something I think is worth pursuing. It's just such a "corner case" that it's certainly not worth  compromising it for anything else. Regular airplanes got through it if they were set up and flown correctly - I made a needle mistake on the second flight but I got through just fine on the first flight with only marginally better conditions. We now suspend flying at the NATs at far lower wind speeds. And one of the ways Ted and I got through to the end so easily in 2006 was because our airplanes handled the conditions better than most and Ted, at least, was hoping for more rough weather because he thought it gave us an advantage. I wouldn't have gone that far but it sure didn't hurt anything.

Brett

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2011, 10:20:37 AM »
Brett,
I understand your point and designing to extreme conditions may give up to much in normal wind. One idea that might be worth discussing is to use the slightly thinner airfoil (say 16% measured the normal way) with slightly larger flaps (increase about 5% ish) then go to a slightly higher aspect ratio (say 6 -7 vs 5.5) to reduce the hinge moment then use T-Bird type tapered wing tip shape. Maybe add a little longer tail moment (say add 1/4-1/2").

Also one thing that Igor mentioned was using a smaller diameter prop, this might also reduce the upwind slow down  but needs to be a compromise with up top pull and windup control.

Question is what to try first?

Best,           DennisT 

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 04, 2011, 12:23:19 PM »
By far, the biggest problem in flying piped airplanes in extremely heavy wind is muscling it through the corners.   

I don't see the problem.  Do you, PJ?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 04, 2011, 12:35:00 PM »
I mention drag on the lines because when I was flying my Humongous if fairly high steady wind, when it came around into the wind the lines bowed maybe a foot or more.  It was very obvious compared to very little bow in calm or down wind. 

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: January 04, 2011, 01:19:22 PM »
to use the slightly thinner airfoil (say 16% measured the normal way) with slightly larger flaps (increase about 5% ish)

This will bring you to low airfoil drag in level flight and high arfoil drag in corners, exactly something you do now want. You have to optimize airfoil for high load (high AoA, deflected flaps) and then carefully design model to fly corners at its optimal point. I did that and got model which makes windy day always an advantage. If you then limit hinge moment, you have good plane for turbullence.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 04, 2011, 04:06:55 PM »
I mention drag on the lines because when I was flying my Humongous if fairly high steady wind, when it came around into the wind the lines bowed maybe a foot or more.  It was very obvious compared to very little bow in calm or down wind. 

I made a crude version of Line2 awhile back.  What happens with lines in the wind as you go around the circle is interesting, particularly with light airplanes and thick lines.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Neville Legg

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2011, 06:34:25 PM »
Would line groupers work on a stunt model? The team race bods used them to keep the lines together and reduce drag, but I think they've been banned in competition?

Cheers
"I think, therefore I have problems"

(not) Descartes

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 04, 2011, 06:59:13 PM »
Would line groupers work on a stunt model? The team race bods used them to keep the lines together and reduce drag, but I think they've been banned in competition?

I am not aware that there is anything in the AMA rules banning them, but for FAI, I think there may be. Its moot in AMA speed, since it uses monoline.

That's a very interesting idea that had occurred to me, too,  but I have never had the guts to try it. Of course, after the first loops, they are grouped anyway, at least at the end that matters.

Brett

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: January 05, 2011, 02:43:10 PM »
Not sure if they would work with a stunter. The object is usually to reduce line drag, which they do significantly, but this relies on the two lines being one behind the other over their whole length. If twisted together you'd get a wave profile all along the lines, the nodes would certainly be one behind the other, but at max. amplitude you'd get a profile twice the line dia.
As Brett says, after the first loop the're twisted anyway, so it's a situation we already fly in all the time.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #23 on: January 05, 2011, 07:28:08 PM »
Howard : I dont see any problem at all..... Never muscled anything, not piped, not 62 oz, not 110 oz - Dont know about electric bombers tho...   y1

Id love to fly your impact next year to see if its the same as mine.. :)
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 07, 2011, 12:16:47 PM »
Neat thread!  I've been out of touch for a while.

Some quick thoughts.

I expect the only effect on "airspeed" is the result of engine changes that come with loading and unloading, because...

In level flight you don't "suddenly" have a tail wind or headwind.  Because we are flying tethered in a circle the wind is constantly changing, going from a maximum headwind at one split second and a maximum tail wind in a slightly shorter split second.  Every other point of the lap is some predictable fraction of those two maximum conditions.  These external forces balance out in simple level flight around the tether.  We essentially never experience what is being talked about, i.e. a sudden change from a head wind of X MPH on one side of the circle and a tail wind of X MPH 180 degrees later.

The other factor which one would think could effect airspeed (but doesn't much) would be inertial effects as the mass in motion wants to continue at the same rate despite the change to a headwind or tailwind.  Inertial stuff like that is the result of speed across the ground, not through the air.  (this is also why lines bow more upwind and less downwind even though the speed through the air mass is essentially constant--a function of rotational peed relative to the tether(pilot) and centrifugal/centripetal forces).  Again because the ground speed of the airplane is constantly changing (not "suddenly" changing) the inertial effects balance out...for every instance of acceleration there  is a balancing instance of deceleration).  If this wasn't true the lap times would constantly increase or decrease...which they don't.

Looked at another way: If the four pound stunter was flying in dead air at 55MPH (Ground Speed and Air Speed)and "all of a sudden" was struck by a twenty MPH headwind it wouldn't instantaneously slow to 35 MPH GS (Ground Speed) and remain at 55 MPH AS (Air Speed).  Because of inertia (mass in motion) GS would remain at 55 for a split second and gradually slow to 35 as the inertial dissipates.  Airspeed would momentarily jump to 75 and reduce as inertia ebbed.  The opposite effects would result from a "sudden" tail wind of 20 MPH.  In a steady state wind with a tethered plane, however that "sudden" increase/decrease in the flow of the airmass relative to the airplane never occurs.  (By the way, a sudden change in wind speed or direction is the "definition" of "Wind Shear" and is a significantly different animal where as the air mass itself is altered,,,not the path of the airplane through it.)  

The airspeed, therefore, will be relatively constant (not considering powertrain changes previously discussed) in level flight although line tension will vary a lot because ground speed "will" be changing.  This is what Brett was talking about.  The airplane thinks it's going just as fast and doesn't understand why the pilot is whining about anything!

Gotta think some more and Shareen wants help putting away the Christmas stuff.

Ted

p.s.  When you start to talk about maneuvering in winds the effects of inertia become a much bigger deal and when combined with rapidly changing lift produced by the wing and tail as the pitch attitude relative to the ambient airflow changes the whole thing becomes a lot more complex and things such as "wind up" can occur  (or it's less talked about reverse phenomenon, "wind down", should you seriously miss the wind with reference to your maneuver).  I'm not sure I even want to go there.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2011, 02:40:16 PM by Ted Fancher »

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #25 on: January 07, 2011, 12:39:48 PM »
RE: Coupled or faired lines. AMA rules do not allow this in competition. See Control Line Rules, General. para 5.3.6
Don

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2011, 08:42:23 AM »
All aircraft fly in the air so drag is consistant but the perception of change when flying our CL planes in a circle is the issue.  Crosswind is constantly changing but airspeed remains the same, ground speed changes. I believe that drag remains constant relative to the air that we are flying through just as speed does.
Interesting subject though.

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2011, 09:08:16 AM »
Ted says there's inertia, Phil says not.  If Phil is correct, the engine RPM wouldn't change as the airplane goes around the circle.  How about something quantitative?

The Jive Combat Team

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2011, 10:03:58 AM »
Howard, I said nothingt about inertia, I was addressing the issue of drag.  The percieved drag change would be relative to the ground bound pilot going round and round in a circle, constantly changing relationship to the prevailing winds.  Ofcourse the plane loads and unloads according to where it is in relationship to the cross wind compponent. Perhaps I was too quick on the trigger.          :-)

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2011, 03:03:04 PM »
Hmm, it's not as obvious as I thought.  I think Phil is right except for the small contribution of line drag.   I spent the morning drawing pictures instead of cleaning the basement.  The first picture shows the relative wind on the lines going upwind and going downwind at constant airplane airspeed.  Going upwind, the relative wind blowing on the lines goes from + wind speed at the handle to airplane airspeed at the airplane.  Going downwind, the relative wind blowing on the lines goes from - wind speed at the handle to airplane airspeed at the airplane.  Line drag is more going upwind, so the airplane wouldn't hold airspeed going upwind; the extra drag would slow it down.  

Danged if I know what the second picture means.  The first confusing thing is that I changed sign on the vectors.  Whereas the first drawing shows the relative wind blowing on the airplane and lines, the second drawing shows the airplane velocity relative to the air mass.  Airplane velocity relative to the air mass (the resultant vector going across the parallelograms) is the vector sum of the inertial velocity relative to the ground, shown tangent to the circle, and the upwind velocity.  I held airspeed constant.  So for constant airspeed, ground speed would be higher going downwind than upwind.  Something would have to accelerate the airplane in the inertial frame, wouldn't it, to keep airspeed constant?  In the case of the infamous downwind turn issue with untethered airplanes, the airplane's bank angle tilts the lift vector and accelerates the airplane sideways.  It looks like this is similar, with the control lines and side force due to sideslip doing the sideways accelerating.  I'd expect the contribution of side force from sideslip to be equal going upwind and going downwind.  Muddying the water is the drag, which, for constant airspeed would probably be higher directly upwind and directly downwind, where sideslip is maximum, and the yaw from the angle of the lines at the airplane being greater going upwind than going downwind (not shown on the drawing).

All in all, this is a bloody poor explanation of anything.  
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 07:06:31 PM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2011, 05:14:30 PM »
It is an interesting topic to think about, Howard.        :-)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: January 08, 2011, 10:20:57 PM »
Hmm, it's not as obvious as I thought.  I think Phil is right except for the small contribution of line drag.   I spent the morning drawing pictures instead of cleaning the basement.  The first picture shows the relative wind on the lines going upwind and going downwind at constant airplane airspeed.  Going upwind, the relative wind blowing on the lines goes from + wind speed at the handle to airplane airspeed at the airplane.  Going downwind, the relative wind blowing on the lines goes from - wind speed at the handle to airplane airspeed at the airplane.  Line drag is more going upwind, so the airplane wouldn't hold airspeed going upwind; the extra drag would slow it down.  

I don't think you know enough of the parameters. Clearly the airplane does have momentum so its mass and the absolute magnitude of the drag are critical factors. If nothing else, without the momentum, whipping it around the downwind side wouldn't help.

Brett
« Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 11:04:44 PM by Brett Buck »

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #32 on: January 08, 2011, 10:24:36 PM »

TED WROTE
"Looked at another way: If the four pound stunter was flying in dead air at 55MPH (Ground Speed and Air Speed)and "all of a sudden" was struck by a twenty MPH headwind it wouldn't instantaneously slow to 35 MPH GS (Ground Speed) and remain at 55 MPH AS (Air Speed).  Because of inertia (mass in motion) GS would remain at 55 for a split second and gradually slow to 35 as the inertial dissipates.  Airspeed would momentarily jump to 75 and reduce as inertia ebbed.  The opposite effects would result from a "sudden" tail wind of 20 MPH.  In a steady state wind with a tethered plane, however that "sudden" increase/decrease in the flow of the airmass relative to the airplane never occurs.  (By the way, a sudden change in wind speed or direction is the "definition" of "Wind Shear" and is a significantly different animal where as the air mass itself is altered,,,not the path of the airplane through it.)  "

HI Ted

This is also why the engines, even ones on pressure go rich and lean, the inertia of the ship driving into upwind air, unloads the engine and as it speeds the prop and helps the engine to go rich, the opposite occurs downwind

Randy

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: January 09, 2011, 01:02:25 PM »
Yep, I can hear my engine change speed.  I don't understand why.  

I don't think you know enough of the parameters. Clearly the airplane does have momentum so its mass and the absolute magnitude of the drag are critical factors. If nothing else, without the momentum, whipping it around the downwind side wouldn't help.

I was hoping that you would fill all that stuff in with sines and cosines and such.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: January 09, 2011, 02:20:00 PM »
Yep, I can hear my engine change speed.  I don't understand why.  

I was hoping that you would fill all that stuff in with sines and cosines and such.  

Actually, I think I have an idea how to do it, with some guesses at the drag coefficient. What I don't have is the engine/prop effects but it might be good enough to get a feel for it, if not exactly accurate. I keep hinting at Frank Williams to fire up his wind tunnel with a running engine in it and a thrust stand and dyno, but so far he hasn't bit. Maybe if the TTs are in Houston we can set it up. Assuming of course I end up flying airplane AT ALL this year.

Brett

Offline Phil Bare

• Captain
« Reply #35 on: January 10, 2011, 11:32:39 AM »
Howard, just a thought, If we draw a picture showing the airplane going around the circle from the fixed pivot point and a pointer indicating the wind direction, it becomes obvious that the load on the lines is constantly changing due to the ever changing profile presented to the wind. Down wind is loaded the most ( wind at your backi )  full side view presented to the wind blowing away from the handle. Upwind is loaded the least ( wind in your face ) full side view presented to the wind blowing towards the handle.  I think that it become rather obvious real quick that the parameters change constantly with every degree of rotation around the pivot point. I think that the side loading component is responsible for the percieved change in engine sound (load).

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here