News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:10:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interesting mid engine experiment by an un-named NW CLPA addict  (Read 1220 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
Check out this mid engined CLPA experiment GONE WILD! :! n~ Quite a long shaft to the mid engine.
My demented brain cells and time have deminished and demented who the model builder was with this arrangement.
I never got to test ride this little 19 powered "XENOS X-1-19"....(It bit the tarmac on its first flight if I rememba'? LL~ H^^ ~^
Don Shultz

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: Interesting mid engine experiment by an un-named NW CLPA addict
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2010, 12:05:44 AM »
Check out this mid engined CLPA experiment GONE WILD! :! n~ Quite a long shaft to the mid engine.
My demented brain cells and time have deminished and demented who the model builder was with this arrangement.
I never got to test ride this little 19 powered "XENOS X-1-19"....(It bit the tarmac on its first flight if I rememba'? LL~ H^^ ~^

I have no idea who might have done that, but I recall someone publishing a C/L scale P-39 in the mid-late 70's with a similar (prototypical) arrangement.

Brett

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2010, 09:42:45 AM »
Thanks Brett....Hummm? Makes me wonder where he would position the fuel tank?
Also I would think that a great deal of attention to MAKING CERTAIN that the CG location would be exactly in the right place.
(Just maybe that  could have been the reason that model experienced just a short FRIGHT-FLIGHT-LIFE?  LL~ :o
Don Shultz

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2010, 09:03:34 PM »
That critter bears a strong resemblance to a 1/2a proto speed model published by a local in MA way back...'80's, I think. I'd bet it was the same fella. Hard to beat a conventional setup, isn't it?  :o Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2010, 10:57:52 PM »
But WHAT does it FLY like !

Offline dennis lipsett

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2010, 07:33:12 AM »
   I have no idea who might have done that, but I recall someone publishing a C/L scale P-39 in the mid-late 70's with a similar (prototypical) arrangement.

Brett

I also remember that one. It was powered with an Enya 45. What I can't remember is if it was a stunt or scale.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2010, 09:15:06 AM »
I remember that one(P-39) and it was a scale plane.   The article was very good on how he did to get the engine to stay cool and the construction.  Remember in scale you don't fly flat out high speed, so the engine will run cooler. 

My flying partner at the time did build the little 1/2A Proto Speed with the Teedee set back in the fuselage.  Flew great, problem was remembering to oil the front bearing on the long drive shaft.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2010, 01:51:04 PM »
I also remember that one. It was powered with an Enya 45. What I can't remember is if it was a stunt or scale.

Scale.

Brett

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 21, 2010, 08:20:19 AM »
Be intresting to see if the nose swings in /out in turns , as all the theorys would have us believe.

Personal intrest , as ive got a PC-7 (definately not politically correct > Piaago ) Flying Submarine (as it was called ) drawn up.

Just been loking at a magnificent Mc 39 that tragically DOESNT have floats. This doesnt either . It Has HYDOFOILS .

will need a similar shaft drive set up . No pinching the Pc7 idea . Sorry !

My theory is a light smallish prop , at steady revs will be the most satisfactory , the needley nose shouldnt impair the thrust.
                           -------------------------------------------------------------------------

Some radio flyer got a Pc7 working. electric water prop , clutched glow to airscrew. Full Size (1800 HP) had Dog Clutch Problems .
Very LOUD ones , I should think .

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 21, 2010, 09:59:59 AM »

John Stolly did the Enya .45 powered P-39 in the May 82 issue of Model Aviation.  He received the NASA Special Achievement Award at the 81 Nats.  Outstanding drawings that are probably available from the AMA Plans Service.  Shows details for a blower fan to cool the radiator, used antifreeze as a coolant circulating from a housing around the head and a radiator tank.  Had retracts and flaps.  Engine mounted in the cockpit with the long extension shaft to the prop.  Needless to say, there was a lot of equipment in the fuselage from the cockpit forward. 

Jack Stolly also did a super well done P-38 (Feb 88 Model Aviation that won the Nats in 1986.  Had retracts and working fowler flaps.  His drawings are works of art.  (By the way, when we are talking about good CL P-38's, Clancy Arnold has a nice one in March 86 Model Aviation.)

Keith

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 21, 2010, 10:11:37 AM »
That critter bears a strong resemblance to a 1/2a proto speed model published by a local in MA way back...'80's, I think. I'd bet it was the same fella. Hard to beat a conventional setup, isn't it?  :o Steve 

Stiletto, 1/2A Proto, by Richard LaConte, published in American Aircraft Modeler.  I do not have the date but the plans have March, 1970.  Plans are available from the AMA Plans Service.

Kieth

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here