News:

• April 28, 2024, 12:09:03 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Interesting Bellcrank  (Read 18923 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Interesting Bellcrank
« on: January 22, 2012, 02:19:32 PM »
This from Yves Fernandez via Jan Skrabalek (I think that's the name). kinda of a new twist on the Expocrank.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
Re: Interesting Bellcrank
« Reply #1 on: January 22, 2012, 05:07:42 PM »
Two wires.

Interesting because it's a positive no slop set up.

Could weigh a bit more?

Guy's thinking.

CB
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: January 22, 2012, 05:57:20 PM »
Ty, I'm pretty sure that you're looking at the wooden bulkhead-looking thing from the nose of the aircraft, and that the bellcrank itself is conventional as far as it goes, with a slider from the bellcrank to the linkage that actually moves the control rod.

I almost asked Randy to clarify this, myself.

Randy, do you know what the action of this thing is, and why it's supposed to enough better to justify all the extra pivots?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: January 22, 2012, 06:12:48 PM »
Randy, do you know what the action of this thing is, and why it's supposed to enough better to justify all the extra pivots?

It's kinda interesting.  It gives you more mechanical advantage over hinge moment.  I'd use a value of a/b of .3 or .4.  Behold that b could be greater than a or the output arm could stick out the other way.  Another option would be to implement Igor's mechanism using this to drive the flaps and a conventional pushrod from the bellcrank to drive the elevator.  You'd have to do a 3D analysis (you could use my program) to get them symmetrical.  This might weigh more than doing it Igor's way, but it would eliminate the evil of mass behind the flap hinge.  How do you like that sign reversal in the slope?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #4 on: January 22, 2012, 07:51:30 PM »
Howard,

Exactly. I was fascinated by both the mechanical advantage and to potential. Could be done a lot lighter, that's certain.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2012, 08:36:07 PM »
This from Yves Fernandez via Jan Skrabalek (I think that's the name). kinda of a new twist on the Expocrank.

Inverse expocrank, faster around neutral than the ends.

Brett

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: January 23, 2012, 12:31:56 AM »
Could be done a lot lighter, that's certain.

How?  

I was comparing the weight of Igor's mechanism to the weight of an implementation of Igor's mechanism using this to drive the flaps and a conventional pushrod from the bellcrank to drive the elevator.  The increment in weight there is the extra length of pushrod between this thing and the flaps.  

Here is the case of a > b.  This would be a bit more cumbersome to implement, but might have less error from the slider.  

The only thing I think would justify a slider like this would be Igor's mechanism.  Can one of you clever people show me how to implement Igor's mechanism with a four-bar linkage?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 12:58:17 AM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: January 23, 2012, 02:19:52 AM »
This is logarithmic bellcrank of Jan Skrabalek (slovakia). He had it in Hungary if someone remember him.

He did it to make easier flying in corners - lower feedback and lower sensitivity in corners - means exact defelection of handle in corners is less critical

I think logarithmic function (unlike expo) is much better for large models, while expo is better on small models. I am very confortable with my logaritmic device on flaps, while I wold like to have expo on small indoors, because it makes troubles to fly perfect level and still enough sensitivity in corners.

However I prefer to have logarithimic device on flaps only, not on elevator, because it makse level and rounds with nice reponse with lot of flaps, while corners are still easy to do. This bellcrank makes flap-elevator linkage 1:1 and only linkage to handle is logarithmic. I think its function can be done with circular or eliptical bellcrank with lines, instead of fixed point leadouts from arms.

Offline Derek Barry

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2012, 05:46:28 AM »
I like Yves' single blade stunt prop...

Derek

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: January 23, 2012, 06:33:12 AM »
Variation on the theme, as designed by Fred Bachl in the early 1960's  I think this is a somewhat softer transition than the opposing crank arm would be.  I'll find out this summer if I like it...
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: January 23, 2012, 01:13:13 PM »
Variation on the theme, as designed by Fred Bachl in the early 1960's  I think this is a somewhat softer transition than the opposing crank arm would be.  I'll find out this summer if I like it...

Looks like the opposite curve.  According to Igor you should keep it indoors.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: January 23, 2012, 01:51:15 PM »
Looks like the opposite curve.  According to Igor you should keep it indoors.

Golf Dome here I come...!  8)
« Last Edit: January 23, 2012, 06:00:02 PM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: January 23, 2012, 05:21:10 PM »
Bob Baron/Wild Bill Netzeband used something similar on the original Humbug.  However, the output arm pivot was between the bellcrank pivot and the pushrod output, so it would have a softer neutral, a much snappier response than putting the pivot on the other side of the bellcrank pivot.  Apparently it only took a small amount.  I remember the article saying that without it he couldn't  get both snappy corners and no overcontrol.
phil Cartier

Offline Pat Johnston

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: January 25, 2012, 06:42:49 AM »
That was my first impression.  A negative expo-crank.  This would be the wrong way to go for me.  Personally, I would love to have just a little desensitized neutral and the normal amount of deflection for corners.  That would be a matter of experimenting on the geometry of the Expo crank.  Denny, I have a feeling that you may like this one.  Don't see why it matters what sized model it flies in.  The Expo concept is something I would like to try.
Pat Johnston
Skunk Works

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 25, 2012, 03:58:34 PM »
Personally, I would love to have just a little desensitized neutral and the normal amount of deflection for corners.

That sounded like a good idea, but having thought about it, I don't think it will work.  The amount of leverage you have to overcome hinge moment is proportional to the slope of control deflection vs. leadout travel.  Having the same slope at max travel (I presume that's what you mean by normal amount of deflection for corners) keeps you the same distance away from Mr. Netzeband's wall.    If +/- 2" of leadout travel gives you +/- 30 degrees of elevator, you can't get the same slope as the linear system at max travel and less at neutral without having the slope be steeper somewhere between.   Here's a picture.  

edited to add quote.
edited again to add explanation.

« Last Edit: January 25, 2012, 09:17:46 PM by Howard Rush »
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2012, 09:44:36 AM »
Seems to me the only way to get what Pat is talking about is to put slop in the controls at neutral and for me that's a no-no.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2012, 10:43:38 AM »
You could try something like this.  If you can keep all the straight stuff in the shallow zone and the round loops on the steeper slope, it might be OK.  It might be interesting to look at actual control position recordings to see if straight flight, round loops, and corners are all flown in separate regions of the curve.  If so, you might be able to pick the slopes you want for each, and have the transitions do what they need to to connect the segments.  A funny-shaped bellcrank would be one way to mechanize this, but a cable going around corners might be like flying with a cable handle.  It would be fun to try, but if you want to do something with nonlinear control responses I think your best bet is Igor's.
The Jive Combat Team

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2012, 10:52:41 AM »
Seems to me the only way to get what Pat is talking about is to put slop in the controls at neutral and for me that's a no-no.

I think that what Pat wants is pretty much exactly what the Expocrank does. I wouldn't think it would be a good match with his general design approach (which would seem to me to be pretty slow around neutral already - although not as much as the Cardinal/Patternmaster type designs) but there's only one way to find out for sure.

I hadn't previously considered the mechanical advantage issue that Howard notes. I guess if you are slow around neutral you have to catch up at some point and if you are catching up the control rate has to be faster and thus give you less leverage. That might be a double whammy on the giant flap models. But it might good on short-coupled airplanes that tend to be a bit twitchy in the first place - sort of like the Humbug.

I would think it would be more advantageous/less of a disadvantage on the Imitation-style models that tend to be a little quicker around neutral to begin with as opposed to the giant flap models that already take two hands to get out of level flight. The original Imitation and designs around that era also used circular bellcranks which are actually faster around neutral when you use a straight handle, but have more mechanical advantage at the extremes - where you NEED more mechanical advantage.

If anyone is worried about slop, a better solution might be a "circular" bellcrank that *isn't circular*. If you make it elliptical or some other shape you think will work better, it can have whatever response you want, and no slop. If you have a take-apart it would be a relatively simple matter to make the bellcrank removable and then you can experiment (and then probably go back to a standard bellcrank when you give up).

All of this can be pretty easily controlled without mechanical monkeying around. If you have enough TVC and enough tail moment you can freely alter the CG and handle spacing to get it slow around neutral or fast around neutral. If you have adjustable flap/elevator rates you have even more freedom. That's what I do - and I have to tell everybody that my problem has been getting it to be FASTER around neutral without being crazy in the middle of the corner. I realized about halfway through the 2011 NATs that I was grossly overshooting the controls to get the corners started and stopped - hitting as much control as I could get to start, backing off in the middle, and then overshooting the other way (i.e. briefly putting in down in an inside corner) to get it stopped. That picture in SN showing my wrist about bent double is almost certainly at the start of an outside corner, and if it had been 10 ms later it would have been a third of that.

Getting them to track in level flight is easy enough as long as you don't listen to 70's style trimming notes.

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2012, 12:04:13 PM »
Brett,

Very good points. I have certainly tried all kinds of, uh, let's say modified control set ups. Circular bellcranks to expo type bellcranks to a weird cable/slider bellcrank I came up with (that Ted might remember) to a cable and wheel control system. I ended up coming back to an Adamisin type bellcrank with the flap arm in front and the bent arms. I've had the best luck overall with that and truth is, I just didn't really see any great advantage in any of the various other systems I've tried. Much like the various ways to adjust flaps I've tried. I've used clamping blocks, a system not unlike Paul was using in his last plane, a sort of birdcage arrangement Pat Johnston came up with and a screw block system I tried. But in the end, I haven't felt (at least at my level of trim expertise) that any of them gave any really substantial advantage so I went back to simpler systems.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: January 26, 2012, 01:08:38 PM »
I ended up coming back to an Adamisin type bellcrank with the flap arm in front and the bent arms.

Bent how?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #20 on: January 26, 2012, 02:00:15 PM »
Howard,

Look up Adamisin "self-neutralizing" bellcrank. It doesn't actually self-neutralize, but that's what it's called.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: January 26, 2012, 02:29:34 PM »
Searches here and SSW were for naught, but Google has Dennis writing of bellcranks with 10-degree angles.  I presume that is with arms bent 10 degrees each toward the inside of the circle.  Do a lot of people use these?  By "front" do you mean toward the inside of the circle?
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2012, 03:13:15 PM »
Howard,

Yes, each arm is "bent" about 12° toward the inside of the circle and the control arm is on the inside (as opposed to the outside) side of the circle.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2012, 03:19:30 PM »
Howard,

Yes, each arm is "bent" about 12° toward the inside of the circle and the control arm is on the inside (as opposed to the outside) side of the circle.

I've seen those.  I suspect that the control arm being on the inside doesn't do much to the action one way or another, but the offset holes would.

So, why say you that it isn't self-centering?  It would tend to pull toward the center any time it's offset.  Or is it just that you don't feel that the "self centering" action is what really makes a difference?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2012, 03:20:35 PM »
Howard,

Look up Adamisin "self-neutralizing" bellcrank. It doesn't actually self-neutralize, but that's what it's called.

I don't know why you say it doesn't self-neutralize. In most cases it certainly would tend to put in a centering force (any case where the leadouts are close than 24 degrees to each other).

Brett

p.s. Howard and I were channeling each other.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2012, 03:49:25 PM »
The idea (as I understand it) was to help the controls to neutralize when line tension was lost (Dennis will probably jump in here and beat me with a club). My point was that without line tension, it wouldn't do anything. What it does do is make it easier to neutralize the controls in areas where that's advantageous. Such as when exiting a corner. I like that a lot. I tend to bounce fewer corners with this sort of bellcrank. I saw a real advantage to it, at least for me, and that's why the last 3 or 4 planes I've built have had one.

I only keep stuff that it seems like is working for me, not because it looks cool or whatever..

Wait, you mean Brett and Howard are not the same guy?   ;D
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2012, 04:05:36 PM »
The idea (as I understand it) was to help the controls to neutralize when line tension was lost (Dennis will probably jump in here and beat me with a club). My point was that without line tension, it wouldn't do anything.

True, but that wasn't the point as near as I can tell. It was to help put some restoring force around neutral, which it does.

Brett

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #27 on: January 26, 2012, 04:15:45 PM »
Brett,

OK, I suppose that's true. But in the end, it's simple and it works so I've kept it in.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: January 26, 2012, 04:16:46 PM »
The offset arms (bent toward the pilot) are naturally stable at neutral position.  When the crank is deflected, the arm that you are pulling on gets shorter and the other arm gets longer - thus the crank wants to return to the neutral (stable) position.   The first of these my dad made (1966) were 1/16" steel (!!!) and had the output arm toward the o/b wing (i.e., front line DOWN).  Upon numerous and lengthy discussions with Al Rabe we moved the pushrod to the other side - for front line UP starting with the 1972 birds.  The Sig 4" crank is made that way too.  Now that I am flying pusher props I am building the new stuff front line DOWN again.

The last bent cranks I made (early 1980's) were offset 30 degrees, I think the Sig 4"  is around 10 degrees.  Now I am mostly using just a plain old Brodak 4" and getting the stabilization elsewhere.

The crank system shown in my post above is going into the new bird with thin wing that ought to be very lively around neutral - so I think the "soft" neutral will be a good thing.  In pix #1 you can see around neutral the crank will act like it has a 1/2" output arm.  In pix 2 you can see that at 45 deg it will behave like it has a roughly 7/8" throw. The accelerating throw (versus a standard 'crank) should come into play at higher control deflections.  It would make sense to replace the straght-armed crank with a round one to maintain more mechanical advantage at higher deflections - however, round cranks scare the crap out of me in terms of keeping the cable in the groove.  Worked pretty well for Ted tho (and others?)

Oh yeah, my handle would give you guys nightmares...  :X
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #29 on: January 26, 2012, 05:04:27 PM »
If one wants to mess with non linear controls, all kinds of responses can be made by whacking out a handle with an insert between the lines. For instance, a square shape with 3 inch line spacing at neutral would widen out to ~4.25 at 45 degrees handle movement.. Too much?? make it only 2 inches wide etc. By cutting different shapes you can get about anything you want and it requires no changes to your test mule. Just whack out a temporary handle and try it! John Wright did this using a round insert so that the line spacing would not lessen as he tilted the handle. I think I did a piece in Stunt News about this a long time ago.

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #30 on: January 26, 2012, 06:17:41 PM »

To me, this looks like it is functionally equivalent to Fred's Expocrank design as published in PAMPA Stunt News. Exponential action is governed by the length of the (wooden) swingarm and the (neutral position) drive radius on bellcrank.

Also, Don, some of us in Las Cruces built John Wright's cam-type handle, but I don't think we played with it enough to appreciate it. You know how it goes. The general shape and feel of the handle does take some getting used to. It worked extremely well for John Wright, but John Wright is one of the best fliers around.

I'd personally like to play with an electronic "cam" in the form of a look-up mapping table in flash memory, to have configurable controls, with programmable actions on flaps, elevators, and even rudder. (That way, when I crash spectacularly, I could claim my battery went dead..) ;->

As a practical matter, it would take some serious dedication to properly evaluate any programmable system, and the results would still be subjective, specific to the individual and his particular ship.

Still.. ;->

L.

"All business proceeds on beliefs, or judgments of probabilities, and not on certainties." -Charles W. Eliot
AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #31 on: February 01, 2012, 10:55:26 AM »
Does anyone have photo of the "Expocrank design"? Which issue in Stunt News?

Thanks

Roger.
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #32 on: February 08, 2012, 11:37:32 AM »
Does anyone have photo of the "Expocrank design"? Which issue in Stunt News?

Thanks

Roger.

Roger, unfortunately I can't tell you a precise issue  number, but it was published back when I was editor of PAMPA Stunt News, which would be 1996/1997 (I think 1997).

I recently submitted articles to Control Line World magazine about Fred Bachl's Expocrank, and I'll attach graphics for the SN design I published plus a modernized version using a ball link drive joint.

L.

"I don't want everyone to like me; I should think less of myself if some people did." -Henry James

Online Lauri Malila

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 08, 2012, 12:26:51 PM »
Does not look very intelligent, strenghtwise. L

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #34 on: February 08, 2012, 12:55:46 PM »
Does not look very intelligent, strenghtwise. L

Design something better. ;->

L.

"Thought is action in rehearsal." -Sigmund Freud

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 08, 2012, 02:01:49 PM »
Design something better.

Just close the near end of the slot.

I have been doing some ciphering on control systems, although lately it's been sidetracked by sanding.    Don is probably on the right track.  Think of Dolby noise reduction. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #36 on: February 08, 2012, 03:10:40 PM »
Just close the near end of the slot.

I'm not sure what that would contribute to strength. The standoff drive point on the swingarm is held captive in the bellcrank slot. The bellcrank portion bears the major force (pull test) and it is similar to conventional bellcranks. It is suspended on a 1/8" OD axle which is only 7/8" tall. Swingarm position is maintained by the bellcrank slot, and the balljoint drive point only has to bear up to resistive forces in the control rod link between it and a 1.25" radius flap horn arm drive point.

I'll include more illustrations which may help. First is a left side view, showing my canted bellcrank configuration. Second is a view of it in wing mount, with transparent left rib. Third is a bottom view of an "axle mount" version, which may clarify it some. And last is a top view, showing full deflection, wherein further deflection is limited by the swingarm against the bellcrank axle; notice also that the round ball joint drive standoff remains captive in the bellcrank slot.

Leaving the drive slot open makes for easier "machining" using my crude tools (jigsaw and drill press)..

Top and bottom supports must be precise to hold axles in proper alignment. The axle mounted version does not use a T-shaped bottom support.

L.

"However, never daunted, I will cope with adversity in my usual manner.. sulking and nausea." -Tom K. Ryan

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 08, 2012, 03:36:52 PM »
I'm not sure what that would contribute to strength ............

From what I can see you have in effect the jaws of a pair of pliers being pulled shut by line tension onto your push rod mounting post.

Closing off that open end would definitely stop this effect from happening and could simply be effected by adding a brace over that gap after wards if you wish to retain the simplicity of manufacture.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #38 on: February 08, 2012, 03:59:51 PM »
Chris,

..only if the bellcrank is made of rubber! Honestly, that is the last area I would worry about in this design. However, if that is a concern, you can certainly enlarge the bellcrank and close off the end, or simply increase the radius of the corners of the inner cutouts.

I need to pull test at 45 lbs, and I believe that a 1/8" hard sheet plastic bellcrank will easily stand that without the plier jaws effects you are concerned with.

As for "rubber", I made the mistake of making my original expocrank bellcranks (not this design, the original one from 14+ years ago) out of 1/8" lexan. It machined beautifully, and I used a similar (narrow) open ended drive slot. At 45 lbs pull, the problem was not a plier jaws effect, but the bellcrank arms themselves, which assume arc shapes! They returned to original shape on release, but it was an unsatisfactory material. Rusty Brown was the first one to point out the problem to me..

I have square foot samples of several different plastic 1/8" sheets, including nylon and PVC, and I think all but a couple of them would be acceptable material for these parts. Fred's sample expocranks that he provided me were in a hard red plastic of some sort.

L.

"It ain't what we don't know that gives us trouble, it's what we know that ain't so." -Will Rogers

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #39 on: February 09, 2012, 02:36:19 PM »
I once made bellcranks out of 1/8" PC board. Worked out pretty well, actually.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #40 on: February 09, 2012, 06:02:16 PM »
I hear that's what Kim Doherty and Pat MacKenzie are doing.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #41 on: February 09, 2012, 06:38:24 PM »
So the advantage of the expocrank is??

So the pushrod doesen't work in such an arc?? Am I right???

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #42 on: February 09, 2012, 07:04:25 PM »
Correct me if I am wrong but it looks like the ideal is the same as dialing in some expo on an rc plane. In that application I have I have seen it take a real handful, difficult to control plane (to sensitive) and tame it into a nice mellow kitty cat of a plane, but when I got on the sticks hard I still had the wild control rates without hitting a dual rate switch. Expo let me have my cake and eat it too ;D ;D I used a fair amount of expo on a wingeron slope glider, mainly on roll axis. Wild (3 rolls per second), but still easy to handle.

hmm I keep looking at one of the plastic (of some kind) cutting boards that my wife has. And no I ain't going to touch it but I could buy another one to use.
Looks like it would make good stock to carve a expo bell crank from. Delrin or something like it I think. 5$ cheap enough to experiment with.
But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #43 on: February 10, 2012, 04:48:46 AM »
Yes Ken, teoretically correct, but unlike R/C we feel what is happening in the model, so that exponential function eliminate feedback in neutral and magnify in deflections, just opposite we want on large models

so it can make so strong feedback in corners, that it coul make model insensitive in corners "forcewise" ... means large model can make just opposite feeling than you want, that was why I wrote that expo crank will be benefical on indoors, and that is reason why we fly rather logarithmic functions on large models.

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #44 on: February 10, 2012, 08:58:43 AM »
An epiphany for me logarithmic controls on CL ships: feedback feel to the flyer!

It is evident that the human portion of our control system is superbly adaptable. This is why people insisting "linearized" control systems are unnecessary are correct - we adapt! The best example I've seen is Bart Klapinsky, who can seemingly pick up anyone's handle cold and put their model through a respectable pattern, without practice flights, neutral adjustments, etc.. It's rather amazing.

Most of us adjust more slowly. If I move neutral on your handle while you aren't looking, as soon as you fly it, you'll notice and perhaps  assume something is wrong with your ship. This illustrates the importance of feedback FEEL from our models.

Another aspect influencing many of us (say.. me) is expectation. If I expect improvement from my expocrank or a logaricrank I'm likely to believe it did. Consider changing from a 3" to 4" bellcrank.  Some will suggest that narrowing line spacing at the handle produces the same effect, but others insist it's not equivalent. In reality it may have more to do with imitating our mentors {top competition flyers}.

I observed imitation effects with dirt bikes; competition leaders were watched very closely. If the top dog added "Kawasaki green" plastic fork protectors to his bike, several others would follow suit. This extended to such unrelated items as the helmet visor, jerseys, almost all equipment. Don't be astonished if I get serious about competition CL Stunt and emulate items as Ted Fancher's shorts after his fresh Nats win! (I might just use Ted's circular bellcrank.. there's a reason Ted named his ship "Imitation"!)  ;->

When I was studying control system non-linearities my good friend Gary Marchand mentioned "measuring ghost turds" (aimed at me, I'm pretty sure). I admit if I go to the effort to create a custom Magic Geometry linearized control system in my next model, I'm likely to report it succeeded, whether or not its actual effects submit to practical measurement.

In the end, therefore, I believe it is makes good sense to simply do what makes us happy.

L.

"Stay thirsty, my friend.." -the Most Interesting Man in the World

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #45 on: February 10, 2012, 07:56:07 PM »
I once made bellcranks out of 1/8" PC board. Worked out pretty well, actually.

We would cut up PC boards and use them for servo trays in pattern ships.

Charles
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #46 on: February 11, 2012, 09:24:22 AM »
A bellcrank should have been designed around a .5" shaft for attachment. Or larger.

Charles

Admittedly, I'm easily confused. Can you provide a rough sketch of the bellcrank design you're referring to?

Thanks,

L.

"If you can't convince 'em, confuse 'em." -Harry Truman

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #47 on: February 13, 2012, 11:30:30 AM »
Larry,

Ya know, most that know me will admit that I've never been opposed to experimentation. From high aspect ratio planes to goofy engine setups to bizarre control systems, I've tried a lot of stuff. Real fliers such as Paul Walker or Ted Fancher have often told me I was, ah, probably not using my time as wisely as I might. I've had it explained to me any number of times that just going with proven components and designs are more likely to result in success. And it's even true. But I'm an experimenter at heart and have continued to try new stuff. I've done expocrank systems, a sort of strange logarithmic crank not unlike your illustration above, a cable system with sliders and pulleys in place of a bellcrank (Ted even flew that plane - the idea being to develop a linear system), circular bellcranks and one really odd direct cable system with pulleys in place of both bellcrank and control horns. That one was fun. Over the course of 10 or 12 planes (mostly in the 80s and early 90s) I tried all kinds of stuff. Upshot was, I never saw any significant gain over the boring old standard bellcrank and horns setup. In some cases, I saw a significant degradation compared to a standard system. Once or twice I tried to convince myself the the slick, new, never before tried system was superior and it may have been, but not enough to put up with the hassles and point failures that such a system presented. About the only thing I've kept in was much longer control horns and bellcranks just to increase the mechanical advantage. It's the only thing that seem superior to the more conventional setup.

I'm all for innovation, but it's also nice to have a system that you just know is going to work. There is something to be said for consistency and predictability.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #48 on: February 13, 2012, 12:38:32 PM »
Randy,

I agree with you to a very large degree. I remember well once I had made some offhand remark about Howard Rush simply "copying" winning setups (I think he had an Impact?) and he said specifically, that was exactly what he was doing, in order to quickly get to a competitive level. It's a sort of wisdom, there are good reasons why certain (often simple, if imperfect in the purest sense) features of our models have persisted. They work!

If a person were truly determined to be a competitive stunt jock, he would invest most of his time and effort practicing (once he had the established quality equipment) and flying contests. Simply, we're not likely to conquer stunt with some novel equipment feature, at least not in itself. I'm not meaning to preclude the contributions innovations have made to stunt, everything from foam wings, molded balsa sheeting, engine mount crutches, uniflo and clunk fuel tanks, 4" bellcranks and longer control horn arms, arrowshaft control rods, adjustable leadouts, removable gear, take apart ships, backwards bellcranks, wiggly rudders, longer tail moments, weight boxes, molded fiberglass and CF parts, piped engines, miniature synchronous electric motors, LiPo batteries and solid state controllers, pusher props, and a dozen other things that didn't just fly into my head this moment. 

And most of us "know" many of the handful of innovators - they are/were serious competition flyers. Of course innovation is important.

In the case of exponential controls, I personally felt {once I got used to it} it made my model easier to fly. If not already clear, however, I want to assure everyone I'm not promoting expocranks. I have no personal interest in producing and/or selling them! I'm not a competitor, I'll use them on my models {as canted bellcrank and 7-degree neutral offset flap horn setups} to satisfy my own interests.

I'll gladly share information and ideas about expocranks, but I believe it foolish to regard them as magic bullets.

L.

"The innovator is not an opponent of the old, but a proponent of the new." -Lyle E. Schaller

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #49 on: February 13, 2012, 02:45:36 PM »
Right you are, Larry. My point was just that I've been down many "less traveled" roads and what you usually find is a cliff at the end. But it depends on what you're looking for, I suppose. I had an awful lot of fun on those roads.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here