News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:50:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Have you ever used plans from a magazine and been disappointed?  (Read 1283 times)

Online Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Have you ever used plans from a magazine and been disappointed?
« on: October 16, 2012, 05:58:05 PM »
 H^^
« Last Edit: March 19, 2017, 10:18:46 PM by Ty Marcucci »
Ty Marcucci

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Have you ever used plans from a magazine and been disappointed?
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2012, 07:08:43 PM »
I built a "Houdini" from MAN plans. That was supposed to be a rudder-only R/C plane for a .15. It ended up with rudder and elevator and a Fox .29 Stunt or a Fox .201. Worked out pretty good, actually. It flew very well inverted, despite massive dihederal and a flat bottomed airfoil! Who'da thunk?

Two stunters were built off magazine articles by scaling up the plans...a Mathis "Excalibur" and a profile version of a James Wilson "Dominator". Both flew quite well, tho I think I could make them fly a lot better now. Bigger bellcranks, better fuel tanks, CG shifts, better props, fuel, etc.

Kits (back then) generally didn't set well with me. I made a lot of Comet and Cleveland stick kits, a 1/2A CG Blazer, a Jasco Trooper, and a Ramrod 600 from kits. That Berkley kit wasn't nice. Sal Taibi's kits were great. Sterling Ringmaster, "Super Swoop", Fliteline "Sneaker", Veco "Big Iron", etc. Some of them were just horrible kits. The Sal Taibi, Jasco, and Riley's kits were outstanding. Otherwise, I found it a lot less agonizing to just build from scratch, which often meant designing my own. Most flew somewhere between ok and real good, mostly a weight thing. "Simplicate and add lightness" is a good theme song that was never written.  y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 11:10:43 AM »
...2. The leadouts need to go farther forward and this seems to be a big problem on wings with an extreme taper as this one has. The lead outs need to come out the LE, not the forward part of the tip. Mine had enough yaw to make several of the over head maneuvers really suck. So it no longer exists...

Ty-

This may be one of those points where the "steenking math" comes in handy - maybe not?

Anyway, I bought a copy of George Aldrich's original (6/60) "Magnum" plans at VSC's Aldrich auction. The "Magnum" has a highly swept leading edge and quite a bit of taper. He was not happy with the plane's performance, although later builders found theirs to fly well. Over a year later (8/61), George had penciled in leadouts going through the leading edge, a 1" shorter nose, and an inch longer tail. I think he must just have placed the original c.g. according to the root chord length and position, rather than referencing the MAC, thus getting it far ahead of where it should have been, because on this plane, the MAC is further aft relative to the root chord. He probably never computed it. By shortening the nose and lengthening the tail, he would essentially just have moved the wing forward in an effort to chase the c.g., when the c.g. should have been placed relative to the lifting surface MAC in the first place. The wing move would have moved the c.g. a bit further forward anyway. A think later builders probably placed their c.g.'s better.

So, did you check the c.g. position? I think most straight and squarely built models should fly well with proper c.g. and control ratios.

Just a thought.

SK

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 11:29:10 AM »
I've certainly looked at magazine plans that I would never build, because of structural or aerodynamic features that I disagree with.  I've always been more interested in building to my own design, so I rarely scratch-build to a plan (and when I do, I have a hard time not modifying things!).
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2012, 04:00:11 PM »
A lot of the older magazine plans(pre '70 or so) show what happens when you design to a formula without understanding why the formula works.  It took a looong time after Wild Bill and Pete Soule and friends figured out the engineering of our little toys and what the critical parameters were.  Now you can design a new plane from the C.G. up and be sure that it will fly pretty much the way you want with no major surgery required.

The only times I've gotten is trouble is when I skipped steps, like not calculating the pushrod loads or something like that.

Another reason for disappointment is that many of the magazine plans, especially earlier ones, were modified by the draftsman when he didn't understand the modelers working drawings.  For some examples, look at the classic plane published in Flying Models in the 1990's.  Many(some) of them were redrawn to correct changes made in the original article.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2012, 06:33:07 PM by phil c »
phil Cartier

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here