News:

• May 08, 2024, 05:49:13 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Found a Piece of Balsa...  (Read 3232 times)

Offline Doug Burright

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
  • Legacy, Brodak kit
Found a Piece of Balsa...
« on: February 24, 2014, 12:07:24 AM »
I had just completed a couple of planes, and was "straightening up" the shop area, when I found a piece of balsa that had been stashed away. It is a 28 inch long remnant of a 1/2" x 4" sheet from SIG, and the ink stamp on it reads 65 cents.
 I've had this one for a while, huh? Do you guys have any old, good balsa in your supplies?
I will build it. It's gonna be really difficult to find me with an ARF. I know every bit of my airplane!

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Found a Piece of Balsa...
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2014, 12:30:57 AM »
I have kept a few choice pieces of balsa in my scrap box.  Next to this computer screen, I am holding a 4" piece from a sheet of Sig balsa that is marked "1/4x3x36" with a price of 38 cents.

Keith

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2014, 06:36:32 AM »
I have a good bit of Testors sheet out of a storage area.  Some of it is not too bad. 

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2014, 06:35:51 PM »
I used a piece from 1962 in my latest airplane.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline KenP51

• Commander
  • K Pitts
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2014, 07:32:53 PM »
I bought a 3x3x36 piece around the mid 80s. I just cut into it for my latest airplane. now I am down to 2x3 x36. One has a split several inches deep. Still have a piece of light ply bought at the same time that is 1/4x12x36. I don't have much use for it. If i need that thickness I will usually laminate  two 1/8 pieces or use a combination of light and birch ply. I might use the 1/4" to make part of a new flight box.

Ken

But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2014, 04:35:56 PM »

An old scrap I saved that sits in my shop, I think the rest of it is in my PBY.
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Steve_Pollock

• 2019 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2014, 09:06:48 PM »
Sig 1/4" x 3" x 36" was 38 cents in a September 1961 copy of American Modeller.

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: February 26, 2014, 04:29:10 AM »
Was given some old sheets from a balsa cutter from his garage / tin shed roof . Been Roasted anually for over ten years - well seasoned thus nice and stiff for wing sheeting .
Was a box of Mid West by the frosted glass back door that got the afternoon sun for a similar time in a stationary ( pens & papers ) shop - some good 1/4 quater grain from that lot .
AND still have the other half of the 3/4 x 4 sheet from the Mew Gulls Tail Plane - from last century . Plus over 300 sheets of selected matched grain in any useable thicknesses from
over the last 5 years , plus the strip & spruce .
Then theres a Cap 21 R.C. kit I grabbed FOR THE WOOD , this is pretty good , as it dates back to 1980 or so - so thrirty years on it should be pretty stable . ;D

Looked on google maps at the TREES at my old house, wattles . One guyfawkes after a few beers , sharpened the axe and put the chain block on the tree and pulled it back so it wouldnt fall
over the wall / on the road . As it was all leaning over where the rest of the row were Vertical . Darn TOUGH trees - or was it something else , sharpened the axe four times , got nowhere
ecept ruining the Axe as the edge went all waveey , so ran out the extension leads and blew up the skill saw trying that . General disgust and defeat meant the chain block stayed tied off and ignored
untill next needed most of three weeks later .
After two pulls on the chain , the rope was loose - with the B#*^?y tree sitting nice and vertical , as it apears still to this day .
This tells us timber is a liveing material and the Lord works in mysterious ways .  ;) H^^

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 26, 2014, 05:23:43 AM »
Occasionally I still find in a scrap bin (I have lots of balsa scrap bins...) a piece of balsa from a supply that my dad found back around 1947 or so.

It seems that after the war many of the fighter planes that were brought home were being scraped in New Jersey. Before scraping them, all the salvageable stuff was stripped out. The gas tanks were also removed to prevent water contamination I suppose. It seems that after stripping the planes, they were put on a barge and towed out to sea for dumping. The tanks had been wedged in place in the planes with large blocks of extremely light balsa. Dad told me that for just a very few dollars he was able to purchase a good-sized truckload of these balsa blocks.

I remember when I was very young that the rafters in the basement of our house were stuffed with huge blocks of balsa. Dad shared a lot of this wood with his fellow Union Model Airplane Club members, but there was still a large number of blocks left to store and use.

As the years wore on, I started to use this balsa in my stunt models. The majority of the blocks were in the 3 1/2 to 5-pound density range, and I remember that there were lots of fungus marks throughout them. This was extremely light wood!

In the 1970's I was still using this wood for the top and bottom blocks, the cowl blocks, the wing tip blocks and other parts in my planes, and also sharing it with my fellow stunt fliers in the Garden State Circle Burners club. We built a lot of very light models using that wood and it lasted a long time. Near the end of the supply we started using it just for top and bottom blocks, but there was a lot of scrap generated, and I saved every piece! Again, some of it still turns up at the bottom of a scrap bin.

I'm fairly certain that I will never again see balsa that light!

Bob Hunt     

Online FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #9 on: February 27, 2014, 05:32:18 PM »
Well, my oldest plane still flying was built in 1962.  I'm not going to take it apart to check the balsa prices.

F.C.
90 years, but still going (mostly)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: April 05, 2014, 06:33:36 PM »
Well, my oldest plane still flying was built in 1962.  I'm not going to take it apart to check the balsa prices.

F.C.

Hi Floyd,

My oldest, still flying plane was also built in 1962, but it was a Veco kit.  IIRC, the price was 7.95.  It is a Smoothie.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Bob Hills

• Ensign
« Reply #11 on: April 27, 2014, 12:19:11 PM »

!/16x3x36  testors from 1957    16 cents

Bob Hills  in ct.
Bob Hills  AMA 15512

Offline RogerGreene

• 21 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2014, 08:37:20 AM »
In my wood bin I found 7 sheets of SIG Contest 1/16"x3"x36" for 32¢.

Roger
Fly Stunt <><
AMA 435R
USAF Veteran 1962-66 SAC
Life is 10% what happens to you and 90% of how you react to it. FAA #FA3RFLPAN7

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2014, 06:37:28 AM »
When I opened up  a wing panel last year to my 1965 jet style stunter I found "contest balsa" written on a rib. I was quite suprised %^@
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Dick Pacini

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 21, 2014, 10:53:58 AM »
There is much to be said for "Contest Grade" balsa and I used to buy a lot of it years back.

However, it has one drawback for me is that it is often very delicate.  Case in point, one of the many kits I recently bought from custom producers came with beautiful, light balsa.  The box was so light, I wondered if I bought an empty one.

Down the road as the airplane was nearing completion, I became aware of the many cases of hangar rash on the profile  fuselage, just from jigging and handling.  Sanding the first coat of primer off revealed many small dings, reminding me of the "death by a thousand cuts" story.

The wood was absolutely  perfect when it came out of the box.  Not so after I got my Neanderthal mitts on it.  It took so much spot putty, it reminded me of pigs in a blanket. HB~>

I really need to sand the calluses of my hands and trim my nails much shorter.
AMA 62221

Once, twice, three times a lady.  Four times and she does it for a living.  "You want me on that wall.  You need me on that wall."

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here