News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:01:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: For Ted...if he is lurking...Another scan for today  (Read 1692 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
For Ted...if he is lurking...Another scan for today
« on: May 27, 2009, 11:51:48 AM »
Wish I could have been there...at the regionals...to see so many of our friends from the SW!
Wow Ted...if you  are lurking.
Here is scan for today from the past.

Hey whats going on with our local stunt grunters backs???
Peterson...
Powell......n'
Rush????
HEARL BROTHA'S!!!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2009, 08:51:21 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: For Ted...if he is lurking...Another scan for today
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2009, 09:42:08 PM »
Hey, Schultzie!

Wow,, great picture.  That airplane (the second "Moby Dick" ... named for obvious reasons, too many Sparkies) is pretty much at the crux of my strong feelings about the rolling cut off date in classic.  It's really nothing more than a Nobler with silly wingtips and a quasi jet styled fuse.  But, because the original was built in 1970 (39 years ago), it's not "legal" to fly in classic.  I'd build another in a heartbeat if I wouldn't feel like a cheater flying a sprightly, young 40 year old "design" at VSC next year.  Oi vey.

That airplane still exists and is hanging on the wall of my den/office right behind me as I type.  It hung on the ceiling of J&M Hobbies in San Carlos for about three decades before I pulled it down and brought it home.  Discovered the red on the left wing was almost entirely faded away due to sitting under a fluorescent light for all those years.  This ship was flown to some sort of second ten finals finish at the bi-centennial nats in 1976

The original Moby Dick (which flew to something like 15th place while almost falling apart from old age at the '74 Nats) was more or less in one piece until a month or so ago when it got trashed by the framers doing our home remodel.  It would have been fun to bring both of the oldies but goodies to Tucson along with a fresh version to fly.

The original was powered by a Testor's McCoy .40 and weighed 64 oz (on a Nobler wing!).  The one in the picture wasn't quite so obese and flew with a beautiful running Big Art O.S. .35.  It was a dandy flying ship, good enough that a really nice guy named Bill Rutherford (yes, that Bill Rutherford) sent me a very nice letter after competing against it at a NOrthern California area contest.  He said he thought the airplane and the pilot showed great promise and might someday be pretty good.  That was a particularly important event in my decision to try to fly stunt as well as I could.  Bill is a thoughtful man and a good friend.

I have another picture of that airplane with me starting it and my late, great friend Bill Fitzgerald holding it at the old "Sewer Plant" flying site in Redwood City.  More good memories than I could count, all in a fuzzy snap shot.  Thanks for sharing this picture, my friend.

Ted

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2009, 09:51:47 PM »
Don,

Just noticed something I had entirely forgotten.  The landing gear on the ship is different from what is on it now.  I had completely forgotten I made two sets of gear.  The one in the picture with just skirts on the wire and a second set which simulated drop tanks.  They are oversized wheel pants with a circular cross section and look like ... yes ... red, white and blue drop tanks!

I've no idea whatever happened to the gear in the picture.  The original had the drop tank gear that were fixed permanently in the wing.  That airplane had my first ever foam core wing (made by the Stotts, as I recall).  It was solid foam without the coring that Bobby Who has made standard in the format.  Thinking the RC pylon guys knew what they were doing I covered it with 1/64" plywood applied with spray on contact cement. 

It weighed a ton!!!! Even I knew there were too many Sparkies in it.

I cut out the part of the wing that looked like where ribs and cap strips would be and installed stubby versions of them and then covered it with silkspan.  Now it only weighed half a ton!  Unwilling to trash it I went ahead and finished it and had a lot of fun flying my 64oz semi-Nobler.

Sorry, you got me started down memory lane.

Ted

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2009, 11:21:32 PM »
That airplane still exists and is hanging on the wall of my den/office right behind me as I type.  It hung on the ceiling of J&M Hobbies in San Carlos for about three decades before I pulled it down and brought it home.  Discovered the red on the left wing was almost entirely faded away due to sitting under a fluorescent light for all those years.  This ship was flown to some sort of second ten finals finish at the bi-centennial nats in 1976

I say we put an engine in it and fly it again.

Brett

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 29, 2009, 09:29:26 AM »
Thanks for the Memories Ted, now don't start singing the song.  Stuff like this is what I like and I guess I missed because I was too busy flying other events.  DOC Holliday

PS:Couldn't you fudge a little and say you had the idea for the design in 69,   jeh
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Mike Ferguson

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: May 29, 2009, 09:48:17 AM »
I'd build another in a heartbeat if I wouldn't feel like a cheater flying a sprightly, young 40 year old "design" at VSC next year.  Oi vey.

That's a shame.

It's reasons like that why I really wish the cutoff date for Classic would be "bumped" up 5 years.  There's a lot of great designs in that timeframe.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #6 on: May 29, 2009, 10:34:46 AM »
>>There's a lot of great designs in that timeframe.<<

Truer words....
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2009, 11:28:53 AM »
Thanks for the Memories Ted, now don't start singing the song.  Stuff like this is what I like and I guess I missed because I was too busy flying other events.  DOC Holliday

PS:Couldn't you fudge a little and say you had the idea for the design in 69,   jeh

Hi Doc,

Don't worry, don't know how to put it on the internet even if I knew the words!

Re the Moby Dick.  It's sort of my own stupid way of demonstrating over the silliness (IMHO) of the fixed cut-off date.  Sure, I could fib about it and probably fly my "nobler" without too much mumbling about the rules, but it wouldn't help with the problem of guys like myself with a lifetime in the hobby who will continue to be legislated out of the best part of engaging in nostalgia style events ... flying their own stuff from when they were ... er, um ... less experienced.

So, I cut off my nose to spite my face.

Ted

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2009, 03:11:49 PM »
I would like to see Classic opened up to:

*Anything built around a Nobler wing.

*Anything flown with a Fox 35

Why? There were countless unpublished designs in the Classic era built around Nobler wings.   If you believe (as I do ) that the wing pretty well defines the performance capabiity of the airplane then I think it would be pretty hard for anyone use "modern" ideas to really change that capability.  Must use a Nobler wing, with tips no wider than 3" and Flaps no wider than 3".   Thus you would be asked to be "original" but starting with a NObler - just like lots of folks did in the classic era!

Similarly, there have been countless designs built around Fox 35's.  Again, the engine pretty well defines what wairframe you can put behind it.  again, I think the final design would end up pretty close to Classic parameters.

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2009, 12:31:39 PM »
I would like to point out that Ted never "lurks". He peruses.   ;D
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2009, 03:33:54 PM »
Hi Ted,

Too bad it wasn't *designed* before Dec. 31, 1969! LL~  That us a very sharp looking 1970 plane. 

As to the rule (please forgive me!) I feel that, possibly, a 30 year cut off *might* be a consideration.  25 years seems a *little* too recent (especially since my PAMPA plane, itself, is almost 15 years old! LOL!!), and I think that 1969 is now too far in the past for many of the *younger* guys now in CLPA.  Their *Classic* memories are of a much later time period.  I do understand the thoughts behind the 1969 cut off, and especially the fact that OTS has a definitive cut off date, but.........  The USA-1 is a Classic legal design, and it would still be a hard plane to beat today with a modern power train.  (I still think the power train is one of, if not THE, most important improvements in CLPA)

Again, like Brett said: Put an engine in her and take her out for a spin! ;D

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2009, 10:25:59 PM »
It might not be a sister ship to the Black Bomber, but is does have the same dates on the wings?
Please explain?

Jim Pollock   ???

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 12, 2009, 10:10:48 PM »
HI Jim,

I obviously missed this post.  Sorry.

The airplane in the picture was built for the bi-centennial Nats in 1976; actually built it in '75.  The number on the left wing is 1776 and on the right wing 1976.  The black bomber was built in late '76 and early '77 and the number on its wing is '77.

Ted

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2009, 06:11:38 AM »
Ted,

I'll bet your noggin was buzzin' in late 69, hmmmmm, what am I going to build to fly in '70 and that Nobler winged heavy was in a corner of that mind somewhere? Right!  I know that in Oct 69 Mike and I were going through some flying mags and a picture of the Akromaster poped into my head as an idea for a simi-scale model!  I've got # 2 near the finishing process now.  Just gotta get it done.....whew!

Jim Pollock   y1

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: January 24, 2010, 08:59:25 PM »
The #2 Akro just needs a coat of filler and sand it off then start with thin layers of white until it's covered then the good old Akro trim scheme.  Mine will have one difference from the original plane.  I'm going to do a checkerboard red/white on the bottom of the wing instead of the original all red!

Jim Pollock   H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here