News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:28:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flite Streak for the 21st century  (Read 1603 times)

Offline Chris Gilbert IRL-1638

• EI-1638
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
Flite Streak for the 21st century
« on: March 05, 2007, 07:00:26 AM »
My flying buddy and I have been flying his flite streak for some time now.

If I may be so bold as to criticise a great design, but between us we can't get it to behave perfectly for the full schedule, it either flies great level (and doesn't do much else) or flies the manoeuvres brilliantly and is impossible to keep at shoulder height in level flight (upright or inverted).

As far as I can see the trim of the model is fine - insides and outsides behave the same, so I'm thinking that the problem is the stabiliser/elevator area - that it's too small for "precision" aerobatics, but just perfect for sport and combat. I did see a post about scaling up a streak to 45 size, and one poster recommended increasing the tail area by an extra few percent.

Don't get me wrong, I really love flying the streak, but what changes to the design (aerodynamics only) would people recommend for the 21st century?

I have a suitable motor (not an FP20) lying around and before I start cutting balsa what if any changes to the basic design can you guys recommend?

IRL-1638

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
Re: Flite Streak for the 21st century
« Reply #1 on: March 05, 2007, 07:10:25 AM »
Hi there,

I would say that if you don't plan on flying it in classic - then you could do the same things that Ted Fancher did with the Twister.  Lengthen the tail moment (not a bad idea with today's heavy motors), increas the stab/elevator areas along with using the slight positive incidence in the stab.  Another modification I would personally make, is to locate the landing gear in the wing and slow the control ratio down.

Jim Pollock   H^^

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2007, 08:08:51 AM »
I have not noticed your problem with either Jr. or big Flitestreak.  I don't think it is due to a design flaw, but perhaps something peculiar to your situation. 

Offline Glen Wearden

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2007, 09:40:53 AM »
I had an extra ARF wing, so I built a fuselage with 1" added to the nose moment and 2" to the tail.  All other dimensions were the same as the ARF.  I did install a 2-wheel LG.  I also installed an "idler horn" ( for want of a better term) to the side of the fuselage at the point where a flap horn would go for a flapped model.  The model balanced perfectly with an old Fox 25 up front turning a 9/4 prop.  Very docile, very stable, smooth turns; flies they way I think and react........Glen
Glen Wearden

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2007, 09:42:40 AM »
My Streaks also grooved well enough and flew smooth credible maneuvers. Are your controls binding? Something like a Primary Force might be more suitable for a serious step up. They point a lot better. Not much harder to build. No flaps.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #5 on: March 09, 2007, 04:32:05 PM »
Hi Chris,

As Jim said:  Extend the tail moment, and increase the tail volume.  That turns it into more "modern" numbers.  Depending on engine weight, you might want to extend th nose moment, also.  I would if I were wanting to "redesign" it.  Don't know *exactly* how much better it will fly, though! ;D

Bill <><
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline dave siegler

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • sport flier
    • Circlemasters Flying club
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2007, 07:18:21 AM »
Many have enlarged the stab and especially elevator, and report better control feel.  Some have made it much larger, like a doodlebog, but then it doesn't look like a streak.  One of the cool things about a streak is the rudder, stab and tip shapes.  You could tell Mr Aldridge had training in design.

If I were to do it ( and I have a lightening streak kit on the shelf)  I would increase the stab and elevator, especially the elevator chord.  If you want it to still look like a streak, just add another 1/2 inch to the stab chord.  The structure could use a little updating to make it easier to scratch build.  The tips could be reworked to make them easier to cover and add a adjustable lead out to, but that is about all.

I would dump the sheet spar use, and use cap strips like a lightening streak, longer motor mounts. and cut down the rudder.  It is about the right size for general fooling around with a 20-25 engine and it fits in the car well.  I would keep the 1 wheel gear. 

If you lengthen the nose, tail moment, and junk the flaps, change the tip shape of a streak you have a Sig Sky Ray.  If you want something to start with and modify, the skyray is a better choice.  More modern structure, longer moments and a modern control system.

They are very close.  Put the plans side by side sometime.

Dave
Dave Siegler
NE9N extra class
AMA 720731
EAA 1231299 UAS Certificate Number FA39HY9ML7  Member of the Milwaukee Circlemasters. A Gold Leader Club for over 25 years!  http://www.circlemasters.com/

Steve Kientz

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2007, 07:40:55 AM »
  I rebuilt a crashed F streak ARf for a friend.Prior to crashing the plane was not flying well at all.The pilot had a .32 on 30% plus 2oz of tail weight.After launching I found shelter.I'm not saying it was more than he could handle as he flew speed and fast combat(30 yrs ago).Well needless to say Mother Earth prevailed.
  To rebuild I copied my Skyray fuse.We did shorten the nose while installing a .25 this time.he also bought a gallon of 10%. Made a big difference as people would come out of hiding to watch.

Offline Larry Renger

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 12, 2007, 09:39:28 AM »
Thanks to numbers provided by Mild Bill Netzband, we have been building "Doodle Streaks" here in Southern California.  One even won a Profile 40 contest in the hands of Stan Tyler.  The stabilizer has about 4" more span, and 1/2" is added to the elevator.  The result is a model that turns easily but won't "bobble" coming out of a hard corner.  The elevator throw is reduced to match the added area and control power.  A longer fuselage wouldn't hurt, but a new stab and elevator are really a minor bit of work when throwing together an ARF 'Streak.

After watching Stan's model fly, Bill remarked "I'll be ***, it actually works!"
Think S.M.A.L.L. y'all and, it's all good, CL, FF and RC!

DesignMan
 BTW, Dracula Sucks!  A closed mouth gathers no feet!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here