News:

• May 01, 2024, 08:09:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flaps Area  (Read 3504 times)

Offline Larry Wong

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Flaps Area
« on: May 13, 2014, 07:54:17 PM »
On some of the question on flaps, cutting the flaps along the trailing edge 1/4" to reduce the area,would it have the same affect if you cut the flap in length and keep the same wing area, like some of the European Yak's and extra's? ???
« Last Edit: May 13, 2014, 09:09:09 PM by Larry Wong »
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Flaps Area
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2014, 07:24:58 AM »
Larry, if I may answer at least partly,  when you trim off the flap trailing edge you are changing the angle of attack of the wing with relation to control input.   When you shorten span but not chord this isn't true so much.  At least mentally draw a side view  of the wing and flap with the flaps deflected at any amount- say 30 degrees for discussion.   Also draw a centerline straight through the leading and trailing edge OF THE WING.  Now draw a centerline from the center of the leading edge and the very trailing edge of the deflected flaps.  This is your working angle of attack.  It can be seen if you trim off the flap trailing edge the center line moves and flattens the angle.  You'll feel that at the handle real fast.  It has the effect of changing control ratio where shortening flap span doesn't change the AoA but simply the quantity of deflected area.  What shortening the flap span WILL do is lessen the forward pitching that deflected flaps induce speeding up the turn rate a little,  until you start running out of lift if the airplane is heavier.  Experimentation is king here to getting the max from it all.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 08:02:36 AM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2014, 11:17:23 AM »
You are forcing me to break my Internet silence.

Experimentation is king here to getting the max from it all.

That is correct, because the "theoretical" explanation above is nonsense.  

The main effect you'll notice is probably the greater hinge moment from the shortened flap span relative to the shortened flap chord.  Hinge moment is roughly proportional to flap area x flap chord, or flap span x flap chord2. Capt. Ted has done the experimentation and can tell you the difference.  
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Online Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2014, 12:08:28 PM »
All I can say is it was pretty common in the past to go 3/4 span flaps for snappy turns.  I don't have much other explanation for it.  Have done it, it works if the machine isn't too heavy.  The chord issue I played with quite a bit solving a few issues on several airplanes where I don't use adjustable ratios,  that by gluing on or whacking off strips to the flap trailing edges.  Here even an 1/8" strip can make big changes at the handle end.  Too little and a heavy plane might stall.  Add a strip and it won't stall.  Add too much and the handle pressure goes up uncomfortably and the turn rate slows.  The affect is real- call it what you will.

Dave
« Last Edit: May 14, 2014, 12:38:41 PM by Dave_Trible »
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 15, 2014, 08:06:06 AM »
Wide tip chord flaps in turbulent air get lateral rock , 2/3 span flaps dont .

Thick control T.e.s were all the rage not so long ago , for enhanced control bite at initial movement , and the drag controls the speed a bit .

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 15, 2014, 08:25:55 PM »
On some of the question on flaps, cutting the flaps along the trailing edge 1/4" to reduce the area,would it have the same affect if you cut the flap in length and keep the same wing area, like some of the European Yak's and extra's? ???

As Howard notes, it is not the same. You get more lift from a given amount of hinge moment by making a large-span, narrow chord flap than you do with the same area but reduced span. I think you get less drag for a given amount of lift with full span, as well, but I couldn't prove it quickly.

That's not to say one is "better" than the other, depending on the rest of the airplane. Mine are going to be essentially full-span from here out.

Brett

Offline Akihiro Danjo

• 23 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: May 16, 2014, 04:52:27 AM »

When I cut the full length TE 1/4" of ARF Nobler, I felt the model turned a little sharper.
(of course, both wing and flap area reduced in this case)

Aki

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 16, 2014, 06:06:43 AM »
Many of the articles that came with stunt plans in the magazines in the 1950-60's said if you build heavy 50 ounces use one to one and if you build light 40 ounces  use two thirds to one. Some articles said to cut down the flaps to 3/4 span. Most of these early stunt planes had smaller flaps than we use now. For many years I used 2/3x1 on my I/Beam models as they were very light,34-38 ounces Fox powered. They has instant turns but not always smooth. You had to be super quick with your hand to turn cleanly.Around 1975 I saw Billy's Juno and copied it and it was like flying a bomber. Slow and very very smooth. That was OK but it always felt to slow so I built several like this 615 sq inches with ST/40. The flaps are small at the tip but are 3+" at center. One was modified with short flaps and it was only OK not better. In the 1960's I built several swept wing stunt planes.They worked well with 1/2 to 2/3 span flaps but I never considered them as first line stunt planes.
EddyR VD~
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 18, 2014, 07:09:32 PM »
I encourage those interested in what the effects of varied flap configurations will be to go on the AMA web site at this link--   https://library.modelaviation.com/search-by-title  --and request to download the "Imitation" article, author's name "Fancher" from the September and October 1979 issues of Model Aviation.  You'll have to wade through a lot of other stuff but there is extensive discussion of the use of different length flaps and the original airplane was configured to allow the use of flaps of three different lengths.  You'll quickly see a a three view that makes the configurations clear and the articles spend considerable time discussing the very significant impacts of the various configurations.

The two articles are long and cover a lot of stunt ship factors but I think you'll be able to pick out the flap related parts reasonably quickly.  Most of the "stuff" in the articles I'm still pretty sanguine about.  Howard will (most likely...and accurately) find some of it technically short of a full deck in scientific terms but reasonably sound experimental practice was used in evaluating what the impact of the various parameters investigated were in the circle.  You will likely note that at the time I was using 33% of the MAC as the approximate location of the "center of lift", a number gleaned from many previous articles that I had pretty much assumed were gospel...they weren't.  Nowadays I think I'm more accurate when I use the 25% MAC approximation.  This is a good example of an incorrect number that, in terms of evaluating the effects of things on flight performance, was of little consequence as the pragmatic nature of the evaluation was still reasonably sound.

Take a look, if you haven't read the articles before and I think they'll provide some insight with respect to flaps (their % of span, in particular).

The one thing I would stress is that I believe that lots of stunt flaps are way too broad in chord and, thus, create too great a hinge moment (increased difficulty in deflection under high loads) which is a huge factor in the dreaded Netzeband wall and, thus, increases the pilot muscle required to fly a corner.  I don't see any need for the chord to be any greater than is necessary to allow the wing to develop the lift necessary in the hardest corners you're going to fly...plus a modest excess to account for higher density altitude situations than those in which you normally fly at your home field.  The flaps on the Imitation were a constant 17% of the chord from root to tip and the airplane flew extremely well at up to 62 oz or more on a wing area in the low 600s.

Ted

Note: the link should take you directly to the "Search" page but after filling in the desired article/author, etc. a window will pop up in which you will have to use your AMA username and password to access the articles themselves.  

Note 2: To save time, review the 09 (September) article first.  It covers the lion's share of the design thought discussion.  The October issue was more or less just another construction article.
« Last Edit: May 18, 2014, 07:27:10 PM by Ted Fancher »

Online David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: May 19, 2014, 10:06:44 AM »
How would a curious Canuck who is obviously not an AMA member access the articles?
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: May 19, 2014, 03:40:34 PM »
How would a curious Canuck who is obviously not an AMA member access the articles?

I've left the original but, unbeknownst to me when I posted it, incorrect, text below.  It can be ignored as the magazine pages did, in fact, get posted.

FYI, while the entire is worth reviewing the most germane part of the text (flap spans, chords,  etc. and their effect on flight path control) are mostly on page 115 near the end of the article.

It's also worth advising that the data sheets in the article that I developed along with Bill Fitzgerald shouldn't be thought of as aerodynamically valid for anything really serious...like designing the next SST.  The were intended primarily to allow come "WAG" eyeball evaluation of the manner in which one more or less conventionally configured stunt ship might perform with respect to its peers.  The resulting "numbers" for the Imitation can, in my estimation be utilized to design a ship of your own that, as long as the numbers are within spitting distance of those for the Imitation will produce an airplane with similar performance.

Ted

David,  

I tried to attach the files that make up the downloaded article to this response but they don't seem to be recognized.   Maybe somebody else knows how to do it but that was my only guess.  You might check with AMA and see if a non-member is able to purchase a download.  I've no idea whether that's an option or not.  Here's a url to their site to get you started.  http://www.modelaircraft.org/

Ted
« Last Edit: May 19, 2014, 04:12:17 PM by Ted Fancher »

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 19, 2014, 03:44:47 PM »
Well, how about that.  They didn't come up when I "previewed" the post but they did when I posted it.  I'll go ahead and post the balance of the article in two or three more posts.  I won't bother with the second installment from October because it isn't significantly germane to the subject of the thread.

Hope this all helps David.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: May 19, 2014, 03:47:15 PM »
More of the Imitation article

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: May 19, 2014, 03:51:30 PM »
The last page.

Ted

Online David Hoover

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: May 19, 2014, 04:58:30 PM »
Thanks very much Ted.  You are a gentleman and a scholar.
Life is simple. Eat. Sleep. Fly!
Best, Hoovie

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: May 31, 2014, 10:45:53 PM »
In days of yore, in a land not so far away, it was thought that smaller flaps made for snappy turns, while larger flaps made for buttery smooth turns. It was finally determined that the horizontal tail volume of the buttery smooth stunter was too small for the flaps, as well as the engine being too wussy, the prop pitch too high, the bellcranks too small, the control horns much too short, and the leadouts in the wrong place. The only thing that was correct was that the BC was mounted in the right place, because if it's about on the spar, it's close enough.  y1 Steve 
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 02, 2014, 12:08:03 AM »
In days of yore, in a land not so far away, it was thought that smaller flaps made for snappy turns, while larger flaps made for buttery smooth turns. It was finally determined that the horizontal tail volume of the buttery smooth stunter was too small for the flaps, as well as the engine being too wussy, the prop pitch too high, the bellcranks too small, the control horns much too short, and the leadouts in the wrong place. The only thing that was correct was that the BC was mounted in the right place, because if it's about on the spar, it's close enough.  y1 Steve 

Steve,

Any chance you can lighten up the bottom left corner of the B/C location equation.  Based on my comprehensive review of the of the visible remnants of the formula it appears obvious there has to be an error somewhere in the shadowy regions the photographer obscured.  Perhaps on purpose????

This is far too important to go uncorrected.  Thanks in advance for any light you can shed on the mystery.

Ted

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here