News:

• April 30, 2024, 03:12:10 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Flap to Evelator ratio?  (Read 4928 times)

Offline Phil Coopy

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
  • SHADE TREE MECHANIC, NO ENGINEER
Flap to Evelator ratio?
« on: March 16, 2006, 08:23:56 PM »
As a starting point, is there a  rule of thumb for the throw ratio between the flap and elevator on a newly constructed C/L aircraft?

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
Re: Flap to Evelator ratio?
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2006, 01:57:08 AM »
45/45 or 30/45 seem to be the number of degrees movement up and down on flap/elevator that people go for. There are reasons for choosing one or the other or somewhere in between, but there are others better equipped to explain that to you after they get back from Tuscon.

Start with 30/45 with room to adjust and you won't be far wrong.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline peabody

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2006, 06:26:39 AM »
I like adjustability...
I also believe that the ratio that most aim for in "modern" (long tail moment) is one-to-one, equal movement of flap to elevtor. I have been told that 15 to 20* deflection (both ways) is plenty.

For older designs, with less tail movement, I believe that you will find that LESS flap movement is desired...on my SMOOTHIE I use a 2 to 3 ratio with satisfaction....

I hope this helps.....

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2006, 04:32:52 PM »
It depends mostly on the weight/wing loading of the plane.  I haven't figured out any kind of exact graph, but a 38 oz. Smoothie has plenty of flap with the flaps travelling 2/3 of the elevator.  A 44 oz. Cardinal needs the flaps to move about the same, or trim the width a third.   Something like a 45 oz. Nobler is usually fine with 1:1 travel. Like Rich says, if at all possible, make the travel ratio adjustable.

Too much flap makes the plane stagger in turns, possibly because the excess lift and drag slow it down before the elevator can get enough lift to turn the plane.
phil Cartier

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2006, 05:32:08 PM »
It depends mostly on the weight/wing loading of the plane.  I haven't figured out any kind of exact graph, but a 38 oz. Smoothie has plenty of flap with the flaps travelling 2/3 of the elevator.  A 44 oz. Cardinal needs the flaps to move about the same, or trim the width a third.   Something like a 45 oz. Nobler is usually fine with 1:1 travel. Like Rich says, if at all possible, make the travel ratio adjustable.

Too much flap makes the plane stagger in turns, possibly because the excess lift and drag slow it down before the elevator can get enough lift to turn the plane.

Since I have been installing adj. elev. horns, I have been very pleased with the ability to fine tune the turn.
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2006, 10:34:34 AM »
As has already been suggested several times, the best flap/elevator movement ratio for ANY model is dependent on many factors including but not necessarily limited to:

wing loading
size of the flaps
size of the elevators
tail moment
the power train
effectiveness of elevator gap and flap gap seals

The optimum flap/elevator ratio may be different for two models of the same design that might have slightly different weights and power trains.

If you are building an existing design, use what the designer used as a starting place as that was something that worked for that designer (but may not necessarily best for your particular model).

If you are building a model to do serious stunt flying, even a proven design, it is imperative to make provisions to be able to adjust the flap/elevator ratio.  For "typical" configurations, you will likely find that a flap/elevator ratio from around 2:3 (or 0.67:1) to 1:1 will get you in the right range.  I can tell a difference in turn performance by changing the ratio, for example, from 0.7:1 to 0.8:1. 

I had two Chizlers, same power plant, different props, different weights, and they trimmed out with different flap/elevator ratios.

Keith Trostle

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2006, 09:18:54 PM »
I have built a number of 1/2A stunt-type airplanes.  My thinking is that they fly better with not a whole lot of flap movement compared to larger airplanes.  It is a good idea to make everything adjustable.

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2006, 12:24:41 AM »
As a starting point, is there a  rule of thumb for the throw ratio between the flap and elevator on a newly constructed C/L aircraft?

You've gotten some good generalized input so far.  Any chance you can give us specifics as to what design you're talking about, what power plant and how much it is going to weigh?

With that info we can probably give you a good starting place.

FWIW, my Vice President's column in the next issue of Stunt News will discuss my trimming experience with the brand new unflown Ruffy I took to VSC last week.  It will include some discussion of ratio changes, what I did, why I did it and the results.

As a teaser, first flights were just awful in terms of response to control inputs and the last flight before leaving for home was the highest scoring flight of the last round of Classic.  A lot ... once again, a lot ... of the reason for that improvement was from finding the right flap elevator ratio and getting the CG and leadouts in the right position.

You might find it interesting reading.

In the meantime, give us some info on the ship.

Ted Fancher

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 03, 2006, 05:10:55 PM »
Ted,

Did you use a wart on the outboard flap to change the ratio of inboard to ourboard flap?  My guess is that you did because of the much longer inboard flap....Right??

Jim Pollock   javascript:replaceText(' ::)', document.postmodify.message);
Roll Eyes

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2006, 04:33:38 PM »
Hi Jim,

No, so far I haven't put a "wart" on the Ruffy.  I thought about it a bit at VSC but there were other problems in greater need of "fixing" and it kind of got lost in the noise.

It is possible that, if I ever get serious about refining the trim, I might experiment with one but, since I usually only fly my classic ships at contests it probably won't happen any time soon.

Now, a thought about flap movement for those who believe that tight corners are solely the result of wing loading.  Why would anyone choose to use less flap movement than they can mechanically obtain?  After all, flaps add lift, so moving them as much as possible short of stalling the wing should always make the plane turn tighter shouldn't it?

(Hint, I don't really believe that's a good idea myself!)
 ;) ;) ;)

Ted

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2006, 06:26:37 PM »
"Now, a thought about flap movement for those who believe that tight corners are solely the result of wing loading.  Why would anyone choose to use less flap movement than they can mechanically obtain?  After all, flaps add lift, so moving them as much as possible short of stalling the wing should always make the plane turn tighter shouldn't it?

(Hint, I don't really believe that's a good idea myself!)
Wink Wink Wink

Ted"

I would like to know the answer to that myself.  Aaron's Geo XL definitely benefitted "turn wise" by increaseing the elevator throw.  700sq. (Geo Bolt wing) at 62 oz. trimmed out, PA 51 & 61 on pipe.  So did my USA-1, 54oz. RTF w/T&L ST G51.  Problem is, I haven't tried to fly a fairly heavy wing loaded plane since I began to fly in meets, so my experiences can't speak to both sides.
I can say that I didn't have the means to trim with an adj. elevator early on.

So, what's going on here?  I've always "heard" that a heavier plane flys better at 1-1 while lighter loaded might go down to 2-3.  You got my curiosity!  x:)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 12, 2006, 07:09:28 PM »
Bill,

The answer to that is actually kind of simple.  We need enough lift to support the weight of the airplane in the corner (weight X G force for the radius of turn).  th eproper amount of lift will result in the CG of the aircraft pretty much following the desired radius.

Too little lift and the airplane will stall because the wing can't support the weight in the corner. The flight path will open up (nose down) as a result ... and, of course, if the stall happens in the wrong place you might break something!

Too much lift and the ship will accelerate perpendicular (roughly) to the desired flight path and the track of the CG will tend to be inside the desired radius (the appearance of turning aft of the wing and "leaping" into corners).

The results you mention (one to one with a heavy ship, 2/3 for a lighter ship, etc) fall neatly in line with that concept and are generally a pretty good place to start.  then you use the slider horn to fine tune the response and flight track.

It does, of course, get a little more complex the deeper you delve into the issue.  One of the consequences of cambering an airfoil (what happens when we deflect the flaps) is the airfoil produces a pitching moment in the direction the flaps are deflected; i.e. when the flaps go down the ship wants to pitch nose down (a negative pitching moment).

BEFORE THE ELEVATORS CAN DRIVE THE NOSE IN THE DESIRED DIRECTION (UP IN THIS EXAMPLE) THEY MUST FIRST PRODUCE ENOUGH DOWN FORCE TO OVERCOME THE NEGATIVE PITCHING MOMENT!  THIS CAN BE A VERY BIG DEAL.

Thus, if you increase the flap movement on a given ship you will do two things. 

First, you will increase the amount of lift from a given amount of control input at the handle.

Second, you will reduce the rate of pitch change because the pitching moment of the wing has increased (see the above).

The net result?  More lift, less turn!  Sheesh, who made up these rules anyhow?

No problem, if you need the lift (your airplane is heavy and may stall once in a while in hard corners) you can simply increase the spacing on the handle to regain the rate of pitch change you want and the wing will produce the additional lift necessary to avoid the dropsies.  (I may just have had some experience with this phenomenom over the years).

It's even a bit more complicated than that.  Let's look at another aspect of the lift/pitch conundrum.

The down load the tail produces to overcome pitching moments is exactly the same thing as adding weight to the airplane itself.  Anything you do to the airplane that produces a negative pitching moment is precisely the same thing as making the airplane heavier.  It's even worse because it compounds itself in corners. 

(It is worth mentioning here that there is one more very real source of negative pitching moment that is very important in our stunters.  That's right, Ted's favorite subject, the relationship between the Center of Gravity and the Center of Lift of the wing.  The farther forward the CG is from the center of lift the more download is required by the tail to keep the nose from falling.

Every little bit of added G force (whenever we maneuver) accelerates that moment and, given enough Gs and enough distance between the CG and the CL and it is entirely possible that your stunter will not be able to stunt worth a darn ... if at all)
  So, if you combine excesses of these sources of negative pitching moments you can easily reduce the performance capability of the ship.

Lift in and of itself will not generate a tighter loop.  The more lift you are capable of producing, however, the tighter the corner the airplane will be capable of flying given the necessary tail authority to drive the wing to the resulting G loads.

As others have said here, however, the ability of the wing to produce enough lift is seldom a problem on a sound stunter at a "reasonable" weight.  The limiting factor has always been more the degree to which the pilot is capable of utilizing the performance he can build into the airplane and still present a pattern which will impress the judges.

The discussion on another forum regarding our eye/brain's ability to process visual data was a real eye opener.  From my reading following a google search I can see that even if we could produce five foot corners we would have great difficulty in processing the result visually.

Fascinating stuff.

Ted

EDIT for HTML
« Last Edit: April 12, 2006, 09:08:09 PM by Robert Storick »

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #12 on: April 13, 2006, 07:07:53 AM »
Hi Ted,

This goes with the overall trend towards bigger tails and longer effective tail moments, I guess.  ???

Looking at the evolution of a series of "like designs" over the years, it appears that airfoils got fatter when more power became available.  With that came bigger planes and the bigger tails, etc.

One design that I have flown in Classic, the "Spacehound" is a wierd one.  Longish wing, thin airfoil and tiny tail surfaces.  Since I didn't really build it too light, I inserted a ST 46.  This plane "presents well" as I am told, but it sure is hard to get a "corner" that "I" like.  ;D  It is now retired!!

This stuff is beginning to get my attention.  In the past, I took the lead from y'all, and just built proven designs, or slight cosmetic differences to suit my taste.  That has worked well.  But, I now have an URGE to "design" one myself.  Is this a sign of senility setting in???  :o ;D ;D ;D 8)
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 13, 2006, 05:43:12 PM »
Hi Ted,

This goes with the overall trend towards bigger tails and longer effective tail moments, I guess.  ???

Looking at the evolution of a series of "like designs" over the years, it appears that airfoils got fatter when more power became available.  With that came bigger planes and the bigger tails, etc.

One design that I have flown in Classic, the "Spacehound" is a wierd one.  Longish wing, thin airfoil and tiny tail surfaces.  Since I didn't really build it too light, I inserted a ST 46.  This plane "presents well" as I am told, but it sure is hard to get a "corner" that "I" like.  ;D  It is now retired!!

This stuff is beginning to get my attention.  In the past, I took the lead from y'all, and just built proven designs, or slight cosmetic differences to suit my taste.  That has worked well.  But, I now have an URGE to "design" one myself.  Is this a sign of senility setting in???  :o ;D ;D ;D 8)

Hi Bill,

No, I don't think so.  Or else I've been senile for many a year.

You're exactly right about the longer, bigger tails.  The first step was the bigger tails used by the New York/New Jersey guys like Jimmy Casale, Bobby Hunt.  Later came the longer tails and then a bit later yet the thicker wings for the heavier power trains.  They've all kind of come together the last 10 years or so and are more or less the standard for US designs.  Billy's stuff seems to be the primary exception and, as I'm sure you're aware, we have some differing ideas on wing loadings, etc.  Different strokes and all that.  I sure haven't beat him much lately ... although he beats me just as bad when I fly skinny winged Noblers, Tuckers and Ruffys as when I fly T.P. sort of stuff.  Maybe the airplane isn't everything, ya think?

My bet on the Spacehound is that you found the response rate to change pretty dramatically from start to finish of a flight.  Tiny tails don't take well to CG changes and the response on a ship with a 15 or 16% tail can go from sluggish at the start of the flight to twitchy after three or four oz are burned out of the nose.  Ships with bigger tail volumes retain their stability through a much wider useable range of CG locations.

At least that's my opinion and I'm stuck with it! y1

Thanks for the questions.
Ted

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2006, 07:00:37 PM »
Ted,

I think everyone started using bigger tail sections right after Bill Netzband put out his article with the 35/40 average stunter.  I think he had a 53" span airplane with a 30" span stab/elevator combo. 

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2006, 08:36:26 PM »
Hi Bill,

No, I don't think so.  Or else I've been senile for many a year.

You're exactly right about the longer, bigger tails.  The first step was the bigger tails used by the New York/New Jersey guys like Jimmy Casale, Bobby Hunt.  Later came the longer tails and then a bit later yet the thicker wings for the heavier power trains.  They've all kind of come together the last 10 years or so and are more or less the standard for US designs.  Billy's stuff seems to be the primary exception and, as I'm sure you're aware, we have some differing ideas on wing loadings, etc.  Different strokes and all that.  I sure haven't beat him much lately ... although he beats me just as bad when I fly skinny winged Noblers, Tuckers and Ruffys as when I fly T.P. sort of stuff.  Maybe the airplane isn't everything, ya think?

My bet on the Spacehound is that you found the response rate to change pretty dramatically from start to finish of a flight.  Tiny tails don't take well to CG changes and the response on a ship with a 15 or 16% tail can go from sluggish at the start of the flight to twitchy after three or four oz are burned out of the nose.  Ships with bigger tail volumes retain their stability through a much wider useable range of CG locations.

At least that's my opinion and I'm stuck with it! y1

Thanks for the questions.
Ted

Hi Ted,

I am finding this stuff is starting to "get to me"!  I have looked over your designs from the Citation, Excitation through the Trivial Pursuit, and see slight changes as you went.. 

I see much the same in Billy's USA-1 through the Geo Xl, which all carry pretty much the same wing 

A *little* something here, and a *little* something there.  Refinements and revisions as different engines, power trains and all were developed.

But, you know, it's weird that a Ruffy, Nobler, Skylark, Ares, Tucker Special, Caprice,et. al., can be pretty darn good airplanes especially since we add in the adjustable trim features and a modern powerplant.  I still convince myself that the "new" stuff is really much better, but I sometimes wonder just HOW much better.  Especially in the hands of us that are not up to the level of the World Class flyers, yourself included, naturally!
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: April 13, 2006, 11:10:04 PM »
Ted,

I think everyone started using bigger tail sections right after Bill Netzband put out his article with the 35/40 average stunter.  I think he had a 53" span airplane with a 30" span stab/elevator combo. 

Jim,

I think maybe you're thinking about the Humbug concept.  A very high aspect ratio tail and no flaps.  The lack of flaps eliminated the negative pitching moment which made the tail more effective.  The high aspect ratio tail was a very efficient lift producer (just like the long wings on sailplanes.  Small angle of attack changes make for large changes in lift).  The lack of negative pitching moment combined with a very effective tail and a high airspeed made for a ship that would turn with great alacrity.

I still think the large tailed, flapped ships originated with the Joisey guys. The combination with far aft CGs was pretty much a Paull Walker innovation quickly  copied by yours truly.

For many, many years the average tail size hovered around 15-16% or so of the wing area.  I remember in (I believe) Model Airlane News somebody published a table of twenty or so top stunters from the '60s and '70s and that was pretty much the standard of that group. From the mid to late '70s the larger tail concept took hold.

The "standard" (if there is such a thing) modern US design tends to be a thicked winged, full flapped, large tailed ship with a CG around 25% MAC or even a bit further aft.

The Europeans are actually a bit more innovative, particularly the French, in playing aggressively with the CG and flap size, etc. and producing competitive designs that fly much differently.  I've not flown any myself yet (theBerringer ships, in particular) but their approach is very provocative and worthy of investigation.  Word of mouth from those that have flown them tends to make me shy away from them.  I only fly a handful of flights a year and need my planes to pretty much fly themselves, i.e. stable and responsive with no surprises and not requiring a lot of recent stick time to fly well.  The word is that these ships need to be pampered and the pilot very much in tune with their needs.

That's a recipe for doing "pretty well" year in and year out but probably not for being a real threat to win major meets.  The Berringer ships look to be real thorougbreds that with finely tuned skills and lots of stick time are capable of superior precision maneuvering.  Paul's ships that I've flown (save the bomber which was a thrill but not likely to win a WC) have much the same quality.  They're reasonably easy to fly but are capable of much better performance than I would be able to perform on an occasional basis.

An eyeball evaluation of the Yatsenko designs appears to me to be somewhere in the middle.  They appear to fly more like the current US designs but, if for no other reason than there absolute consistency from one to the other, appear very comfortable to fly.  The might well be the current best of both worlds.

Again, just from watching them fly.

Ted

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2006, 05:49:35 AM »
Ted,

There was lots of Baron influence no doubt in Bill's 35/40 Average Stunter Concept, but it did have flaps!  I forget what date that came out in Bill's Round and Round article but I seem to remember sometime in 1969 or maybe 1970.  Bill sometimes - or maybe a lot of times shadows these boards and if he sees this he might remember the date of that aritcle and chime in or e-mail you the date, or even a copy of the R&R in question here?

Jim Pollock    y1 

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 11, 2006, 10:18:08 AM »
Ted,

I forget what date that came out in Bill's Round and Round article but I seem to remember sometime in 1969 or maybe 1970.  Bill sometimes - or maybe a lot of times shadows these boards and if he sees this he might remember the date of that aritcle and chime in or e-mail you the date, or even a copy of the R&R in question here?

Jim Pollock    y1 

Sorry Imissed this one.  I have not been spending much time on these forums lately.  The Model Airplane News Round and Round column by Harry Higley in August 1973 had a table which compared the dimensions of 24 "contemporary" designs from that time frame.  Flap area then was comparitively small.  Most of these designs had about 15% flap, some with slightly more, some with slightly less (like down to 12%.  But then, there were two with more than 20 % (would you believe 25% on guess what?  Al Rabe's Bearcat III and his Sea Fury.

Tail area by today's standards were also comparitively small with some as low as 15% and the range went up to 18 or 19%.  There were a couple over 20%, like Simons' Shoestring and Silhavey's Gypsey at 22% and 25 % respectively. (Maybe we should have noticed back then, these were some of the better cornering airplanes in that day.  Maybe stunt designers are a little slow in starting trends, but at least the trend since then as been larger stabs.  With several exceptions, almost all had even distribution of area between elevators and the fixed horizontal tail.

There was another interesting table published in the British magazine, Model Aircraft in January 1960.  This compared 16 designs of that time and then gave a "Trend" or average set of numbers.  Flaps were at 15 % and total tail areal at 16% with just less than half of the tail area in the elevators.

Interesting reading.  It would be a worthwhile endeavor to tabulate the current crop of designs.  There are many to do and the work that Higley did was painstaking and he got little or no recognition for it.

Keith

Offline Terry Fancher

• AMA Member
  • New Pilot
« Reply #19 on: June 13, 2006, 11:02:33 AM »
Just to keep this thread active here's another thought to consider.

Almost by definition, the less flap travel required to perform the desired pattern  means the wing is larger than necessary to do so.  IOW, the same amount of lift could be produced by a smaller wing with the flaps deflected further.

This is clearly obvious.  What's the matter with that?

Possibly that the bigger the wing or the lighter the wing loading the more the airplane will simulate a stunt kite in high winds.  We can never lose sight of the fact that our airplanes are tethered and will quite literally react to winds exactly like a kite.  This is preciselly how Marvin and others manage to do all those dead engined figure eights, etc.  The are essentially flying kites.  the wind is supplying the motive force which drives the stunter/kite forward, thus allowing the wing to do its thing in supporting pitch responses.

The case could be made that the smaller the wing area required to provide the lift necessary for the desired pattern the better in terms of flying in the wind.  This is really brought home to yours truly flying the Doctor in high winds.  Zero flap, very low wing loading and serious kiting effects.

Not a no brainer, however, since all the "downsides" of pitching moments, etc. discussed previously remain to be dealt with.  The less you deflect flaps the less of those you get.  Hate all these trade offs....

Ted

Offline c.maikis

• New Pilot
« Reply #20 on: July 02, 2006, 10:54:26 AM »
I've only stumpled over this thread today.
I fully agree with what has been said so far. I have always built my airplanes with a 3/4 ( flap to elevator ) deflection ratio, and I still do it today, but I have fully adjustable controls, so after trimming I really don't know what exact ratio I finally have.
But my ( 41 ounces !) Smoothie has more flap than elevator travel now !!!
Regards,  claus

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2006, 12:30:34 AM »
I've only stumpled over this thread today.
I fully agree with what has been said so far. I have always built my airplanes with a 3/4 ( flap to elevator ) deflection ratio, and I still do it today, but I have fully adjustable controls, so after trimming I really don't know what exact ratio I finally have.
But my ( 41 ounces !) Smoothie has more flap than elevator travel now !!!
Regards,  claus

HI Claus,

Just saw this post.

Worth pointing out that the Smoothie is quite a bit different from the standard full flapped stunter.  It's flaps are only about 2/3 span and have a pretty narrow chord.

We must remember that flaps only have an effect on the portion of the span that they encompass.  Thus the rather small in area Smoothie has a comparatively high wing loading even at only 41 oz.  When you then install flaps on only a fraction of the 50 inch span the lift capability of the wing at max Lc is even less.

It doesn't surprise me very much that such a ship might fly better with more flap movement than, say, a Chief or Nobler with full span flaps.

My "voluptuous" Trivial Pursuit just earned probably its fourth or fifth Nats second place finish last week.  At at least 68 oz (I'm scared to weigh it any more) on only 660 square inches and with less than full span flaps it is truly on the ragged edge of excessively plump.

You'll probably not be surprised to learn the flaps travel more than the elevators.

I feel the need to stress again; the flaps and the tail (stab/elevator) have two entirely different jobs.  they DO NOT work together to make the ship turn.  The tail makes the it turn.  The wing simply provides the lift to support the "g" increased weight of the ship in the turn.  It's really important to think of them as separate tools even though they work hand in hand.

Ted

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2006, 10:42:23 PM »
Golly,

I just got done re-looking at the July-Aug 1998 Stunt News.  Larry Cunningham's article about control geometry is one of the best technical articles ever written.  I believe it rivals Nezbands "Control Line Aerodynamics made Painful" or, er, Painless!  Also Ted, there is a picture of the 1977 Concourse winning "Citation".  The "Citation" is a  really "beautiflul"  airplane.  Do you still have it on hand, or has it traversed into a Stunt legend?

Jim Pollock,  j1 y1

Offline Terry Fancher

• AMA Member
  • New Pilot
« Reply #23 on: August 15, 2006, 11:00:20 AM »
Hi Jim,

Hadn't thought of the Citation in some time.  In fact, I need to look up that article because I only have one or two pics of the airplane, none of which are much good.

The airplane is still around, but broken the last time I saw it.  I was flying it at a "mall air show" many years ago (still ST .46 years) and on the take off roll the outboard wing struck a young boy on the ankle.  He had pushed forward against the ropes to get a better view.  Fortunately I was making a long roll and it was just breaking ground when it got to him.

Knocked about six inches off the outboard tip.  I flew out the tank, landed, made sure the boy was OK and left for home.  Stripped the hardware out and stuck the mess up in the attic.

Pete Peterson asked about it a year or two ago while visiting and when he found out it was up there asked if he could take it home and repair it.  Sure, I said, and promptly handed it to him.  As far as I know he still has it at his new home near Tacoma, Wash.

Ted

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: September 04, 2006, 10:17:41 PM »
Ted,

Might be worth a call to Tacoma?  It was a very pretty airplane!

Jim Pollock

Offline Will Stewart

• New Pilot
« Reply #25 on: November 09, 2006, 07:28:29 PM »
Attn Ted Fancher,

I enjoyed your analysis of  increase in wing negative pitching moment with flap deflection and its interaction with required force from the stabilizer-elevator.

Imagine that someone has developed a simple, light control means for varying wing incidence. Wouldn't direct lift modulation as the primary pitch control, with the stabilizer (possibly without elevator)  serving to keep the fuselage aligned with the relative wind, offer advantages in CL Stunt?

Will Stewart

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2007, 10:33:59 AM »
Attn Ted Fancher,

I enjoyed your analysis of  increase in wing negative pitching moment with flap deflection and its interaction with required force from the stabilizer-elevator.

Imagine that someone has developed a simple, light control means for varying wing incidence. Wouldn't direct lift modulation as the primary pitch control, with the stabilizer (possibly without elevator)  serving to keep the fuselage aligned with the relative wind, offer advantages in CL Stunt?

Will Stewart

Will,

You have my heartfelt apologies.  I was surfing through some old threads today and for the first time ever saw this post.  Hope you're still around to get my mea culpa.

Your suggestion is very interesting and not a configuration I'd ever really considered.  My off the cuff opinion is that response in the pitch axis would be sluggish at best and not likely conducive to flying the stunt pattern.  It definitely would not be advantageous if used with coupled flaps that would produce a negative pitching moment that the fixed stab would be unlikely to overcome.

I'll have to give the subject more thought before going beyond the above WAG.

Once again, sorry for not responding in a timely fashion.  Wasn't intentional.  I simply never returned to the thread.

Ted Fancher

Offline Greg L Bahrman

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2007, 06:07:45 PM »
Hi Ted,
I found it interesting what you had to say in Stunt news about the flaps on Pauls Cardinal Profile as I have built a couple. Now that you mentioned it, I think there are others also with the same problem. To much flap. It got me to looking at my Nobler also because the flaps are almost the same size as the Cardinal and my Nobler weighs 44 oz. and probably doesn't need large flaps. Your thoughts in general ???
« Last Edit: April 10, 2007, 01:29:08 PM by Greg L Bahrman »
Greg Bahrman, AMA 312522
Simi Valley, Ca.

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #28 on: February 09, 2011, 01:32:35 PM »
Guys,
I know this is a very old thread but it has lots of good information and a question comes to mind - is it better to vary the flap travel while keeping the elevator horn length or go the conventional approach by varying the length of the elevator horn and keeping the flap horn length fixed? One could set up the flap horn with a slider and a slider on the elevator horn. Seems this would give less sensitivity on the handle spacing setting.

Best,         DennisT

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #29 on: February 09, 2011, 03:07:11 PM »
Guys,
I know this is a very old thread but it has lots of good information and a question comes to mind - is it better to vary the flap travel while keeping the elevator horn length or go the conventional approach by varying the length of the elevator horn and keeping the flap horn length fixed? One could set up the flap horn with a slider and a slider on the elevator horn. Seems this would give less sensitivity on the handle spacing setting.

Best,         DennisT

Hi Dennis,

I in no way can speak for everyone, but i can say what I have witnessed.  The slider horn on the elevator is the easiest set up, so about everyone I have seen simply has used that.  Personally I use the Tom Morris ones all the time now.  Bob McDonald had a movable flap horn a while back in a plane I saw, but I do not know if he still has them available.

Maybe Ted, Brett, Howard, Randy, or one of the designers and are more up on the "What's and wherefores of it will see  this and chime in on what would actually be the "best" way to do it.  I can't go there, I don't know enough of the technical side, really.

But in my experience, a slider elevator horn is sufficient for about all the adjusting usually needed.  The whole trimming process gets involved, so just one thing is hard to pin point for me.  I have moved the elevator horn slider and not had to touch anything else, and have also done it and had to adjust the handle, or even CG, or LOs, .......

Then again, a lot of planes I have built have just gotten everything else trimmed and flown....... ;D

A side note to the previous posts.  Ted mentioned wing size versus lift capability.  That was about 5 years ago, and now models like Dave Fitzgerald's are down in the 630-650 sq. in. range instead of the 670-700 sq in range that was very prevalent 5-6 years go.  And the engines have just gotten bigger in some examples! ;D

Big Bear
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here