News:

• April 27, 2024, 11:30:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fantasy Scale Stunters??????  (Read 1773 times)

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Fantasy Scale Stunters??????
« on: November 08, 2008, 03:34:10 PM »
Over the last couple of years I've ben playing a "What if" game with my self.

I've seen many modelors doing something similar, by taking our Stunt ships into the fantasy realm by marking them in some recognizable way to make them appear as military, Vintage, or whatever, anything but a modern stunter. Shultzie's recent post of Charlie Reeve's 1968 Shark done up in German WWll fighter markiings, illustrates this concept pretty well. You can find this picture posted ib the Stunt Grunts forum here on Stunt Hangar.

Recently I saw a picture of a Nobler done up as a WWll fighter, complete with invasion stripes. My own copy of Gierke's All American Eagle, Done up as a Blue Angel Show team performer falls into the niche as well.

Here's where the "What if" comes into play. I'm working on a smaller twin design. It'll use a pair of strong .15's to decent .25's. It has slightly less than a 53 inch span, about 575 sq inches in area.

The design is based on the question, What if the German aircraft designers recognised the need for a good ground attack craft, which at the time only the Soviets had a purpose designed aircraft, the IL -22. Another "what if", is that they were aware of Grummans F5 design, and liked the idea of two engines in a ground attack roll.

What might such an aircraft look like if the Messerschmidt engineers worked up a flying prototype?

I'm calling it "Ziepanzerflug".  More to follow on this plane.

Anyway, It's a step further down the road towards fantasy scale stunters.

So, tell me your ideas, this might be fun.
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Fantasy Scale Stunters??????
« Reply #1 on: November 08, 2008, 03:38:27 PM »
Over the last couple of years I've ben playing a "What if" game with my self.

I've seen many modelors doing something similar, by taking our Stunt ships into the fantasy realm by marking them in some recognizable way to make them appear as military, Vintage, or whatever, anything but a modern stunter. Shultzie's recent post of Charlie Reeve's 1968 Shark done up in German WWll fighter markiings, illustrates this concept pretty well. You can find this picture posted ib the Stunt Grunts forum here on Stunt Hangar.

Recently I saw a picture of a Nobler done up as a WWll fighter, complete with invasion stripes. My own copy of Gierke's All American Eagle, Done up as a Blue Angel Show team performer falls into the niche as well.

Here's where the "What if" comes into play. I'm working on a smaller twin design. It'll use a pair of strong .15's to decent .25's. It has slightly less than a 53 inch span, about 575 sq inches in area.

The design is based on the question, What if the German aircraft designers recognised the need for a good ground attack craft, which at the time only the Soviets had a purpose designed aircraft, the IL -22. Another "what if", is that they were aware of Grummans F5 design, and liked the idea of two engines in a ground attack roll.

What might such an aircraft look like if the Messerschmidt engineers worked up a flying prototype?

I'm calling it "Ziepanzerflug".  More to follow on this plane.

Anyway, It's a step further down the road towards fantasy scale stunters.

So, tell me your ideas, this might be fun.

Whoops, sorry about the double post, I was try to do an edit. n~

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: November 09, 2008, 01:08:34 AM »
Hi John,

well, I have something like that going. It's a fantasy Reno Air Racer.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: November 09, 2008, 07:26:38 AM »
John:
...you mean like the Granville Brother's ultra rare Gee Vee racer?
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #4 on: November 09, 2008, 12:03:29 PM »
GEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE-VEEEEEEEEEEEE! WOW! RIGHT ON!!! H^^ BW@ CLP**
Don Shultz

Offline Don Hutchinson AMA5402

• 2014 Supporters
  • Captain
« Reply #5 on: November 09, 2008, 06:51:38 PM »
Like this one? Very nice flying airplane, I have drawings for 5 others as well. Almost dead scale in the profile, just not a full fuselage. 40 size, 500 sq ins wing area.
Don

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: November 09, 2008, 08:43:48 PM »
Hi John

I suppose that the German's were aware of the U.S. P-38 Lightning Fighters since they most certainly did have
some spying going on here in the good old USA.  I'll bet if you built a P-38 and made it look like it came from
the Messershmidt (sp) factory it would be pretty neat looking.  I think the neatest looking fighter of WWII was
Germany's ME-262.

Regards,

Jim Pollock  H^^

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2008, 01:24:25 PM »
Hey guys, thanks for posting your efforts. I think this is one of the best things about being a modeler. Innovation plus ingenuity, creating something that never was, but could have been.

I'll try to post a screen shot of what I think the Messerschmidt design group might have done with the Grumman Sky Rocket.

« Last Edit: November 10, 2008, 01:59:07 PM by John Miller »

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2008, 02:00:46 PM »
Like this one? Very nice flying airplane, I have drawings for 5 others as well. Almost dead scale in the profile, just not a full fuselage. 40 size, 500 sq ins wing area.
Don

Hutch, your profiles are much more than fantasy scale. They are very good candidates for profile scale competition. They also fly a decent pattern.

Offline Al Rabe

• Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2009, 12:20:52 PM »
Fantasy Scale,  Like this?  As I understand the concept of fantasy scale, these airplanes should deal with "what if" rather than airplanes which are clearly recognizable semi-scale versions of existing aircraft.

All Mustunts have WWII military paint jobs and none are semi-scale anything.

Al
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 10:22:14 AM by Al Rabe »

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #10 on: March 01, 2009, 01:46:30 PM »
Thanks for posting that awesome Fantasy stunter...but to me your beautiful SeaFury that you published in the March 1973 Issue of AAM was the best of the best...although it can't be considered a "Fantasy" model when in reality, how scale can ya get when you look at these models up close and personal. I guess the "Fantasy" for me would be to have the pleasure to beg a test ride on the handle of any of these  Al Rabe's masterpieces.  H^^

Not only the article was so well written....arguable, this article and issue could be deemed the  ALPHA N OMEGA "BIBLE OF SCALE CLPA STUNT MACHINES ARTICLES" and should be in the bookshelves of every stunt flyer or scale model builder that ever walked the tarmacs of this earth.

Hey gang...If it hasn't happened already...this article needs to be republished for this article is filled with so much great design concepts, building ideas...and finishing techniques that are the pure mutta'load book of CLPA modelin' knowledge and should be on your lists of GOT-STA READ ARTICLES.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 11:55:37 AM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: March 02, 2009, 08:06:21 AM »
Here is the CP90 that I had in the 80s. The CP90 was a Claude Piel single seat aerobatic development of his Emeraude. The CAP aircraft evolved from these airplane.

My CP90 was painted like the French Connection aircraft. Power was a Big Jim ST .60.

I have a more scale like rare 30s air racer in the "Skunk Works".It will probably have a rear exhaust .60+ engine with an expansion type muffler in the nose. (No Hints)

I am also considering a similar .40+ size airplane. 

Since these airplanes will be candidates for publishing, does anyone have a size preference?
AMA 7544

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 02, 2009, 08:36:22 AM »
.40 size please. H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: March 06, 2009, 09:23:00 PM »
Ty,

The Silver Lancer belongs to Scott Richlin of the Northern Virginia Control Line club.
He's had it for several years and did a re-vamp on it around 2003. 
The other plane was built by Fred Bachel and used the Exponential Bellcrank.  Check with Larry Cunningham, I think he's using the Expocrank exclusively now.

Jim Pollock 

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: March 10, 2009, 08:26:26 PM »
There was a German secret attack/ fighter twin, designed near the end of the war. The only prototype was stolen by a rogue counterintelligence organization whose goal was to outwit both the Allied and the Axis components.   I happen to have in my possession rare photos of the bird.  For Your Eyes Only

Will Moore
Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Offline Glenn (Gravitywell) Reach

• Gravitywell
  • 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: March 10, 2009, 08:35:09 PM »
Will....that is very cool looking, very cool! H^^
Glenn Reach
Westlock, Alberta
gravitywell2011 @ gmail . com

Offline Will Moore

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: March 10, 2009, 08:40:03 PM »
Thanks Glen;

This was my electric project 2 years ago.  Flies extremely well.  I have had a lot of fun with this bird. 

Will Moore
Things take longer to happen than you think they will,

Then they happen much faster than you thought they could.
 AMA # 209

Offline walterbro

• walter brownell
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #17 on: March 11, 2009, 08:45:34 AM »
  There was a period from 1935 to 1940 when several prtotype aircraft were flown.
This bomber is one of them. It was a U S Army Air Force twin engine bomber which was a development prototype prior to the B-17 . Since the model is Electric I call it
POLYAMPA 2.

Walt

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: March 23, 2009, 11:35:25 AM »
Hi Tom,  Is the CP90 outline close to the French Connections CAP10?  Nice plane!
AMA 59633

Offline Tom Niebuhr

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 23, 2009, 10:53:47 PM »
Walt,

That is really nice!

Michael,

The CP 90 is similar but was a single seat version of Claude Piel's Emeraude. They have the same heritage. I used the French Connection paint scheme, since they were based at an airport a short drive away from where I lived at the time. I was fortunate to see them fly 8 or 10 times. I also had met them. It was a big loss when they had their accident.
AMA 7544

Offline Michael Boucher

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 24, 2009, 06:01:33 AM »
Hi Tom,  Thanks for getting back to me about the CP90.  I had seen the French Connection perform a few times at Sussex's Airport in New Jersey.  Had also gotten their autograph.  Always wanted to do a CAP 10 done up in their colors. Maybe two joined together?  Would have to give it more thought.  I did a search of Claude Piel and saw the lineage of the planes,  thanks.  Mike :)
AMA 59633

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here