News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:57:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine size vs. Plane size  (Read 1973 times)

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Engine size vs. Plane size
« on: November 17, 2012, 02:05:07 PM »
This may belong in the 1/2 A forum.  But I'll ask it here, anyway.

I just got a recommendation that a Pat Johnson Ringmaster 207 (with a 207 square inch wing) would work well with a McCoy or Cox Black Widow 049.

Yet, I have a plan from 1954 for a CL flying boat that calls out a K & B 19, and has a 250 square inch wing.

Why such a small difference?  Is it just that the predicted weight of the RM 207 is around 10 oz, while the Aquabat looks like it'll be around 20oz all up?  Or is a Black Widow all that more powerful size-for-size than the K & B?

Or what?
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
Re: Engine size vs. Plane size
« Reply #1 on: November 17, 2012, 03:11:15 PM »
I am beginning to think that weight, or, maybe more accurately, wing loading, is the important thing in determining power needed.  It is not the only factor, of course.  10 oz for a 207 square inch wing CL airplane sounds fine for something like a TD 049. I think it would need to be a couple oz lighter for a Black Widow.  As to the relative power to weight of a Black Widow vs a Torp 19, I couldn't say as I don't have appropriate engine reviews at hand.  I've flown both engines CL and find them difficult to compare.  The Torp 19 is a powerful engine (held the A CL speed record at one time).  I think the one I had would have easily flown the stunt pattern on a large Flitestreak. 

The Aquabat might need more power to get off the water.   I think a 20 oz large Flitestreak with a Torp 19 would fly very well. but I would think the Aquabat more a sport model. Also, a 250 square wing is almost 25% larger than a 207 square wing. 

Thinking about it, I'd probably take each airplane as an individual situation and do very little comparison with other airplanes.   

Offline Dave_Trible

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: November 17, 2012, 04:28:09 PM »
Hi Tim.  Jim is right on about needing the power to get on step and off the water-in a half lap or less.  If you look in the magazines of that era there was more emphasis on speed (since stunt capabilty was marginal I guess).  Many airplanes seemed overpowered, said from a guy who puts a piped .61 in a .40 size airplane today!  I have a Torp .09 on a OT FF Megow Ranger that does a job about like I think a Tee Dee .049 would.  As a kid I had the Torp .23 in a junior Nobler that seemed like the perfect package. I always thought the Jr. Flew better than the full-size Nobler. (What did that have to do with anything?). Anyway,  engine up for the water!  Have fun with it!

Dave
AMA 20934
FAA Certificate FA3ATY4T94

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #3 on: December 09, 2012, 01:27:35 PM »
Hi Tim,

There is so much to consider like Jim and Dave say.  The RM 207 was expressly designed with 1/2A power in mind.  Drag (the different types I don't know much about), wing loading, and other factors I am less knowledgeable about, all must be considered when picking an engine for a model.

I do know that many times a smaller "modern" engine will fly a model designed for a larger one.  And people will always work out ways to put larger engines into smaller models.

(personally, I feel that the McCoy/Testors .049 will be a touch small on the RM207)

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Timothy Payne

• Mr Payne
  • Lieutenant
  • Classic Racer
Re: Homebrew Fuel
« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 04:31:59 AM »
Come on you Glowheads! Let us know any ideas/formulae you have up there for making that 1 gallon can last over winter?

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: May 09, 2013, 09:35:24 AM »
This may belong in the 1/2 A forum.  But I'll ask it here, anyway.

I just got a recommendation that a Pat Johnson Ringmaster 207 (with a 207 square inch wing) would work well with a McCoy or Cox Black Widow 049.

Yet, I have a plan from 1954 for a CL flying boat that calls out a K & B 19, and has a 250 square inch wing.

Why such a small difference?  Is it just that the predicted weight of the RM 207 is around 10 oz, while the Aquabat looks like it'll be around 20oz all up?  Or is a Black Widow all that more powerful size-for-size than the K & B?

Or what?

Or what, mostly. Pat's is a stunt plane, the flying boat may have been touted as a "stunter" but that might mean it can do a loop.  1/2A's at the time had incredibly feeble power compared to something like a Black Widow. All of the Cox engines were an amazing improvement over the Infant Torpedo and the like.

Brett

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: May 09, 2013, 03:06:49 PM »
Come on you Glowheads! Let us know any ideas/formulae you have up there for making that 1 gallon can last over winter?

Ah, I will take a stab at this and will try not to be too technical.  To make a gallon of fuel last over the winter, live somewhere North where there is a lot of snow, is really windy and really cold.  Another solution is to not fly very much in the winter.

Keith
« Last Edit: May 16, 2013, 03:52:06 PM by Trostle »

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2013, 04:02:52 PM »
Ah, I will take a stab at this and will try not to be too technical.  To make a gallon of fule last over the winter, live somewhere North where there is a lot of snow, is really windy and really cold.  Another solution is to not fly very much in the winter.

Or switch to electric!
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Online Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2013, 04:09:01 PM »
Or switch to electric!

Tim

I was trying to not make my answer too technical like you just did.  But technical is OK.

KT

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here