News:

• May 03, 2024, 03:49:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Elevator Deflection  (Read 3170 times)

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Elevator Deflection
« on: December 05, 2013, 12:02:20 PM »
Reading posts here and especially on SSWF over the years, I've found estimates and measurements of maximum elevator deflection ranging from about 12o to 45o, with medium to lower figures seeming to be more reliable. Obviously, wings, flaps, tail volumes, etc are relevant here, as are instantaneous values needed in some fast transitions. However, there seemed to be definite opinions on how much maximum control deflection to allow.

I just laminated some stabilizer sheeting on a tail pictured below for an LA.25-powered, flapless stunter with a 500 in2 P-Force derivative wing, and as usual, I did a good job with a small bit of positioning error. Unfortunately my mistake limits my control range. I'd aimed for 35o, but came up with only about 29o. I think I'll need to get out some very thin abrasive thing and try to open up the beveled spacing some. The question is what deflection I should shoot for. Obviously this little error will take some considerable time to fix; so what's your current thinking on the amount of elevator deflection is needed? The span is 21" and area is about 20% of the wing area. Thanks!

SK

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Elevator Deflection
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2013, 12:30:53 PM »
I don't know how much it has to move, but that's sure pretty wood.
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Dennis Toth

• 2020 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2013, 02:54:53 PM »
Serge,
I have both an El Diablo and Ringmaster for OTS that have 20 deg at most elevator deflection, both can turn much tighter than needed, I think your 29 deg is going to work fine. If you need to tighten the turn you can always drop to a 9" diameter prop, will usually do the trick.

Best,        DennisT

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2013, 09:20:45 PM »
Serge,
I have both an El Diablo and Ringmaster for OTS that have 20 deg at most elevator deflection, both can turn much tighter than needed, I think your 29 deg is going to work fine. If you need to tighten the turn you can always drop to a 9" diameter prop, will usually do the trick.

Best,        DennisT

I agree with Dennis.  Given a "normal range" of tail areas the CG location is a greater factor than are large amounts of elevator deflection...especially with an unflapped wing.

Yes, that's pretty dandy wood!

Ted

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2013, 12:34:33 PM »
We used to be able to pick up better wood all the time. The sheet on the other side is much blander B stuff. They were 7-8 pound and 6.4 pound sheets respectively. What surprised me was that the two sheeting pieces totalled .60 oz, while the latticed stab, hinges, elevator, and horn attachment pads and dowels totalled only .70 oz. 'sure wish I had more of that C-grain stuff!

I had done pretty well laminating the first piece of 1/16" sheet with CF, except that I thought I 'd have used less epoxy, if it hadn't set up so fast. Nevertheless, I felt that I could still save .1 oz over the previous stab. So for the bottom, I tried a different order of application. I really got caught out this time, and instead of improving, I used noticeably more epoxy, and under weights, it squeezed out over the tape protecting the hinge gap and hinges. That adhered the tape and closed the beveled area. What a mess that was to fix - more or less. So now I've lost the weight advantage and have a bottom I don't like to look at. THEN, I dropped the thing and over-sanded in one place, necessitating an insert and patch. This age thing shows up in a lot of extra work. Incidentally, I'm not sure I'd do the CF veil in the seam again; the edge sands like steel and makes contouring much more laborious, if you want accuracy. It's stiff already, and when the outer layer is applied (FG, CF, or silkspan) it should be over-kill stiff.

Pictures show where I am now, with roughed contouring in progress. Lines are for bevelling equally on both sides to ensure some airfoil symmetry. The l.e is critical for me; so I've learned to get the CF edge accurately under my abrasive block by listening for the higher pitched sanding noise, when my sanding block or file angle is right.

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2013, 01:13:30 PM »

We used to be able to pick up better wood all the time. The sheet on the other side is much blander B stuff. They were 7-8 pound and 6.4 pound sheets respectively. What surprised me was that the two sheeting pieces totalled .60 oz, while the latticed stab, hinges, elevator, and horn attachment pads and dowels totalled only .70 oz. 'sure wish I had more of that C-grain stuff!

I had done pretty well laminating the first piece of 1/16" sheet with CF, except that I thought I 'd have used less epoxy, if it hadn't set up so fast. Nevertheless, I felt that I could still save .1 oz over the previous stab. So for the bottom, I tried a different order of application. I really got caught out this time, and instead of improving, I used noticeably more epoxy, and under weights, it squeezed out over the tape protecting the hinge gap and hinges. That adhered the tape and closed the beveled area. What a mess that was to fix - more or less. So now I've lost the weight advantage and have a bottom I don't like to look at. THEN, I dropped the thing and over-sanded in one place, necessitating an insert and patch. This age thing shows up in a lot of extra work. Incidentally, I'm not sure I'd do the CF veil in the seam again; the edge sands like steel and makes contouring much more laborious, if you want accuracy. It's stiff already, and when the outer layer is applied (FG, CF, or silkspan) it should be over-kill stiff.

Pictures show where I am now, with roughed contouring in progress. Lines are for bevelling equally on both sides to ensure some airfoil symmetry. The l.e is critical for me; so I've learned to get the CF edge accurately under my abrasive block by listening for the higher pitched sanding noise, when my sanding block or file angle is right.

How much deflection you need (or can use...) is a function of the tail moment. The reason you only need (or can use...) +-3/8" in the Ringmaster is that the tail is really short. The "zero-lift angle" of the stab/elevator combined with the length of the tail define the maximum pitch rate for a given airspeed, or if you like, the ratio of the equilibrium pitch rate to the airspeed. The bigger the angle, or the shorter the tail, the higher the possible pitch rate. To first approximation, what you want is to be able to drive the pitch rate for given airspeed up as high as you can tolerate without stalling the wing. With the super-stubby tail on a typical Ringmaster, you can tolerate very little deflection. The heavier it is, the less you can have because the pitch rate that generates the stall is lower.

Of course the are other considerations. The length the tail also figures heavily into the damping, the longer, the more damped. This has to be played off against the maximum rate issue. Clearly the Ringmaster is too short. I think the Skyray is marginally too long, leading me to use every possible degree of angle in the elevator deflection I can get, which makes it really sensitive around neutral since the ratios have to be so fast. This has led to me running the CG much further forward than I started. This has had nearly no effect on the ability to turn but does reduce the sensitivity around neutral.

I think the Skyray would be better off overall with a slightly shorter tail with less elevator deflection. Somewhere between the stock setup, and a Flite Streak (which is pretty darn close to the same wing, minus a bit of aspect ratio). The 20FP Flite Streaks I have flown have been somewhat better behaved around neutral when the CG just right than the Skyray. The problem is the that even 2 ounces of fuel running out of the Flite Streak means you have to have it nose-heavy at the beginning and tail-heavy at the end, and it's razor-edge as far as the static CG goes. I have in the past suggested that someone try a Skyray with about 1 1/2" off the tail, with the tail enlarged to keep the same TVC, but I haven't tried it myself.

Note that nowhere here have I mentioned the absolute torque capability of the tail. This is the driving factor on flapped airplanes, but these unflapped wings seem pretty darn easy to pitch around, so it doesn't seem to matter very much, compared the the torque/pitch rate ratio. You could pick the tail moment for the right ratio, then fiddle with the size of the tail to see where the limits are, but I would expect that it doesn't make much difference and that you could get away with a very small tail area before any serious issues were seen.

Brett

Offline RknRusty

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
    • My Tube channel
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2013, 07:07:52 PM »
Brett, I've got a Skyray that badly needs a new stab and elevator. It's built with all of your mods plus the addition of longer wingtips and static flaps. It's my training plane but it looks as if it could start shedding a trail of bits at any time. When I make a new stab for it, I'll cut an inch and half off of the tail and report back on any differences I see in its flight. I'll do that after I finish building my new Skyray late this Winter. I hope I'm in tune with my flying well enough to give a useful report.

Rusty
DON'T PANIC!
Rusty Knowlton
... and never Ever think about how good you are at something...
while you're doing it!

Jackson Flyers Association (a.k.a. The Wildcat Rangers(C/L))- Fort Jackson, SC
Metrolina Control Line Society (MCLS) - Huntersville, NC - The Carolina Gang
Congaree Flyers - Gaston, SC -  http://www.congareeflyer.com
www.coxengineforum.com

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 21, 2013, 11:36:04 PM »
To first approximation, what you want is to be able to drive the pitch rate for given airspeed up as high as you can tolerate without stalling the wing. With the super-stubby tail on a typical Ringmaster, you can tolerate very little deflection. The heavier it is, the less you can have because the pitch rate that generates the stall is lower.

Huh?
The Jive Combat Team

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2013, 12:55:22 AM »
Huh?

Pitch angular rate is what creates the wing AoA. The lighter the airplane, the quicker it changes direction for a given AoA (turns tighter for a given amount of lift), which causes the direction of the oncoming airstream to change faster. Look at it the opposite way - if it's turning more tightly the pitch angular rate has to also be higher, which means a lighter airplane can tolerate more pitch rate.

Brett

Online Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 22, 2013, 02:20:44 AM »
That's a funny way of looking at it.  I have visions of a wing chasing an elusive relative wind.  I hesitate to say it's wrong: one gets in trouble in aero thinking of one thing causing another.  I look at angle of attack and lift as having a pretty constant relationship.  You can draw a curve that gives you one as a function of another.  There are a few subtleties: 1) there's a second-order lag between angle of attack and lift (I looked for where I saw that recently and couldn't find it), there's the effect of Reynolds number, there's the effective camber as loop radius decreases that Igor wrote about (of which I'm not yet convinced, nor do I remember the sign), and there's probably some more alpha-dot stuff, but I don't think these subtleties amount to much.  Once you've put in elevator to get to the equilibrium alpha, it stays there, and the airplane turns a loop of radius mV2/L.  The longer the tail, the more it needs to deflect to get the angle of attack it needs to hold the wing at a given alpha, because air in a loop is round, as Igor showed in his recent Stunt News article.  I always thought of this as being OK.  It's a virtue in combat.  It lets you pick the loop radius you want more easily, and my people use δe/g as a measure of stability.  Mind you, if you have a traditional elevator and stabilizer, you'd need to operate it at some ugly angle of attack to get enough tail lift to rotate the wing to the angle of attack you want the wing to have.  This might make it hard to do a nice square corner, and I thought this is what you've been telling me is a disadvantage of a long tail.   
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 23, 2013, 01:57:39 PM »
Those considerations were what concerned me, when I asked the first question. My tail arm is marginally longer than the original P-Force from which I have the (l.e. curve-modified) wing, and the tail has a bit more area (more than 20% of the wing area). My understanding, as I've posted over the years, is that longer tail arms increase the a.o.a. of the tail, requiring more elevator deflection, and that increased horiz. tail area increases rotational inertia and aero stability. These all mean I might well worry about elevator deflection.

I can still get in there with a file and open things up. Here's where I was last week, after a mistake required me to take off too much wood on one side (now I KNOW I'm glassing the thing). I'll probably sand the thick side some more.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 23, 2013, 02:22:03 PM »
Good question but not so easy answer, there are minimally 3 effects to think about

1/ separation bubble on high pressure side of stab in corner ... it was that sharp vs blunt think so many times commented ... the effect of bubble is clear and its existence depends on tail length

2/ AoA of stab in corner also differs with tail length so the elevator needs different deflection depending on tail length ... yes, as Howard mentioned I wrote it in that my article

3/ there are transients depending on tail length and elevator to tail ratio - the response of tail moment regarding its AoA is not linear, good response needs strong force (and thus moment) when model still flies straight and elevator is already deflected, and less and less as the model goes to circular path ... short tail with large elevator (especially in case of small tail when it must overcome large flaps moment) can be easily stalled and its effect can grow as model enters circular path, so it can have for pilot some kind of difficulties to make corners repetitive

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here