News:

• May 04, 2024, 10:36:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Down Thrust.  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Chris Wilson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Down Thrust.
« on: September 06, 2010, 11:17:00 PM »
Hi all,
I must admit that I do not fully understand why down thrust works when the model is inverted, that and is it of any benefit with inline models?

I have not seen down thrust recommended on any plan that I have but I know of a few very good pilots that swear by it but all of their models have inverted engines with the trust line above the mean chord line and the tailplane some where in between.

So do models like the Yatsenko Shark or Beringers Gee Bee use down thrust?

Cheers.
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
Re: Down Thrust.
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2010, 04:59:40 PM »
Because prop make pitching moment up - due to gyroscopic moment and p-factor.

Wing drag under the thrust line, landing gears drag, or also motor offset and tail incidence can ballance it. If not, you must do it on handle and will lead to variable neutral regarding line tension and that leads to hunting, inaccurate corners etc.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 07, 2010, 05:03:59 PM »
Thanks for the reply Igor, and I have heard that before and accept it but I do not understand it when the model goes inverted.

And do you know if inline models need this down thrust phenomenon?

Thanks.
« Last Edit: September 07, 2010, 06:04:51 PM by Chris Wilson »
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #3 on: September 07, 2010, 07:57:44 PM »
It does effect it a little inverted.

fact is you do 6 laps inverted, and 1/2 lap inverted for the complete pattern.

Its not enough to notice - If you wish to practice and test this out, do as Ive done, flip the model inverted jsut after you take off and fly the pattern in reverse. You will notice a difference.
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Igor Burger

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2010, 01:07:40 AM »
Thanks for the reply Igor, and I have heard that before and accept it but I do not understand it when the model goes inverted.
All is reversed ... all moments, and also model, so it still works well :-)

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2010, 12:24:36 PM »
Hi all,
I must admit that I do not fully understand why down thrust works when the model is inverted, that and is it of any benefit with inline models?

Probably need MORE downthrust (or positive incidence in the tail) for an in-liner than a conventional layout.

The reason it works upright and inverted is that the precession is created in the body frame of the airplane, and so are the compensation effect. This just accomplished what the in-line design was supposed to in the first place, i.e. equivalent characteristics upright and inverted.

Brett

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2010, 02:42:54 PM »
Simply put, when the plane is flying upright, the prop effects are trying to push the nose up, or towards the top of the plane. When inverted, they are still trying to push the nose towards the top of the plane, except, now, the plane is inverted, and the top of the plane is towards the ground.

The downthrust when upright, works to nuetralize the prop effects that try to raise the nose. The "downthrust", becomes upthrust when inverted, and still works to nuetralize the prop effects, which reverse when flying inverted. y1
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #7 on: September 08, 2010, 02:45:37 PM »
Simply put, when the plane is flying upright, the prop effects are trying to push the nose up, or towards the top of the plane. When inverted, they are still trying to push the nose towards the top of the plane, except, now, the plane is inverted, and the top of the plane is towards the ground.

The downthrust when upright, works to nuetralize the prop effects that try to raise the nose. The "downthrust", becomes upthrust when inverted, and still works to nuetralize the prop effects, which reverse when flying inverted. y1

AHHHH but what if we have a pusher prop going opposite direction????? S?P

Randy

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 08, 2010, 03:47:18 PM »
Randy, Are you trolling :!, or just stirring the pot?  S?P  VD~

Ok, I'll make a try at an answer to your question.

Our normal CCW rotation causes prop effects that tend to yaw the nose in, and push the nose up in level flight. Reversing the direction of the prop rotation will now change the prop effects so that the plane tends to yaw to the outside of the circle in our circular flight. This helps a bunch and contributes to tighter line tension at all times, when the engine is running. Such a change will also change the nose up force with standard CCW rotation, to nose down force with CW rotation.

So, is there still a need for thrust line adjustments? I suspect so. Simple logic says that it would be so, but I'd prefer some hands on experimentation before I fully committed to the idea. If it proves true, and I suspect it will, then with a Clock Wise rotating propellor, some upthrust may indeed be beneficial.

Further more, it might also be helpful to add a small amount of stab incidence adjustment. The amount should be small if using thrust line adjustments.

Going further;

An in-line design can be successful as has been proven in various designs over the years. Maintaining good control geometry will help a lot to cure variations mostly brought on by poor control system geometry.

It will still be necessary to make thrust line incidence corrections to help obviate the prop effects, which are not a function of whether the plane is in-line or not. These effects occur because the plane is flying with a single spinning prop, located in the front of the plane, while that plane is flying in a circular path.  H^^
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 08, 2010, 04:27:48 PM »
AHHHH but what if we have a pusher prop going opposite direction????? S?P

Randy

Electric guys report that upthrust is needed with a clockwise spinning prop.

Thanks for the replies guys, I indeed 'get it' now!
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Alan Resinger

• Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #10 on: September 08, 2010, 09:43:05 PM »
I always use a bit of up thrust on my planes.  Of course I fly clockwise.
Alan Resinger

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here