News:

• April 28, 2024, 09:15:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Does electric offer any significant shift in the modeling paradigim.  (Read 3381 times)

Offline jim gilmore

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Does going to electric flight now offer some changes that were uavailable with ic engines? I'm specifically wondering if both multi engine and canard stlye get a favorable Boost with the new electric system. some of the canards i've seen always seemed to suffer from whereto flip the prop,while multiengine model, especially 1/2a suffer from engines being able to run together.
I also thing the batteries and equipment might be a step towards having a stable c/g during the whole flight.
I'm wondering what others think.

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Does electric offer any significant shift in the modeling paradigim.
« Reply #1 on: June 07, 2008, 06:39:16 AM »
I see your question as being more of a statement.  The short easy answer is yes, e-power airframe designs can go places that are difficult to do with IC power.

The longer answer like WHAT changes - that will take a little longer to re-sort!  At the present just about all the electric airplanes flying are conversions of designs for IC.  E-power has certainly proven it's viable.  Next step will be the purpose-built birds, designed to take advantage of the cleaner installations, engine braking and ability to move the battery closer to the CG. 

I personally do not think canards will ever be better stunters than conventional layout, but electric surely makes it easier to try, and someone will prove or disprove the capability of a canard.  BTW have you noticed that almost everyone who talks about electric power also talks about TWINS?  I think electric designs will in time be substantially distinct from IC designs... y1
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #2 on: June 07, 2008, 11:56:52 AM »
I saw Paul Walker's new, redesigned Impact at the recent NW Regionals. He certainly took advantage of some of the things electrics offer and was able to move the battery back almost over the center of gravity.

Truth is, I don't think that electrics are really superior to IC. But the one thing they offer that makes them extremely attractive is repeatability. Every flight Paul flies is the same as the last (as far as engine run). The ability of the the setup to adjust to variable loads perfectly every time is just awesome. I have had engine runs with IC that are as good, but I've also had some that were terrible. Paul doesn't get terrible runs. That makes the system incredibly attractive. And when I re-finance my house so I'll have the money, I plan to get into it. But it's still very expensive to get a setup like Paul's.
« Last Edit: June 09, 2008, 09:59:42 AM by Randy Powell »
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 07, 2008, 03:26:03 PM »
I wonder how running a governor would effect a pattern.  Think about a constant RPM no matter what the aircraft is doing.
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 07, 2008, 05:56:25 PM »
In Philly I've watched Mike Palko doing electric for years. Sickening. Consistent run flight after flight. Now Jack Weston's doing it. They're smug. Electric works. Sorry to say. I hate electric. No big time engine crackle when they fly. No burnt castor smell in the clothes... Perhaps the dental drill motor screech will make them mad.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2008, 10:02:00 AM »
Dennis,

Listening to Paul's it's kinda of cool. I guess I never knew that a 13.5" prop could make that much noise. The prop noise is usually washed out (or at least largely covered) by engine sounds. The whoosh of Paul's prop is kinda neat. You can actually hear the change in sound when the plane turns a square corner.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2008, 04:04:11 PM »
So how cool is electric?

Yesterday we took out another test plane, a Vector ARF.  Did the assembly, Programmed the ESC and did some pre-flight tests in the garage one evening.  At the field I set it for a 2 minute test flight.  My Nephew told me to set the static RPM for 10,500 for a 5.5 sec lap time on 63' lines.  He missed by .1 sec.  The 2 minute flight showed the bird needed just a hint of flap tweak, leadout position and tip weight looked OK, and we have turn to burn.

Flight 2 we set for 6 minutes and started committing CLPA.

Yeah electric is REAL cool!

Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Steve Holt

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: June 13, 2008, 01:00:23 PM »
During a particularly windy day, a bunch of us were doing a bit of "hanger flying" and the subject of electric power came up.  I haven't been able to find it again, but there was an ad a while back for an electric power system that used two motors with concentric shafts for counter rotating props without a gearbox.  If a unit like this were available in a proper size for stunt, it would eleminate most of the issues we trim for now relative to compensation for torque, swirl, and P factor.  What would a stunt ship look like if none of these were issues?  The system I saw was in an R/C Bugatti Racer.
Steve

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 13, 2008, 08:51:39 PM »
Also,

Fuel Proof Paint is not required.  That opens up some areas in finishing that could lead to lighter weight finishes.

Jim Pollock   :o

Offline Pinecone

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2008, 09:58:01 AM »
During a particularly windy day, a bunch of us were doing a bit of "hanger flying" and the subject of electric power came up.  I haven't been able to find it again, but there was an ad a while back for an electric power system that used two motors with concentric shafts for counter rotating props without a gearbox.  If a unit like this were available in a proper size for stunt, it would eleminate most of the issues we trim for now relative to compensation for torque, swirl, and P factor.  What would a stunt ship look like if none of these were issues?  The system I saw was in an R/C Bugatti Racer.
Steve

Himax makes them in various sizes. 

http://www.maxxprod.com/mpi/mpi-266.html
Terry Carraway
AMA 47402

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2008, 06:00:15 PM »
I agree with many of the comments made so far. Electric is about on par with IC. The consistency may nudge it slightly ahead? Either way electric cannot and will not dominate for for quite a few more years. With better technology and some engineered designs electric may start to offer the edge it takes to win.

Dennis Moritz needs to fly electric! ;D His mushy ARF profiles have held up his progress for the past two years. Horrible engine runs drown out the electric flights at the home field. I get tired watching him struggle with sour engines runs. Z@@ZZZ Maybe I will force him to fly one of my airplanes this summer........ Maybe not........ 

When flying my Mustang the prop noise on the ground is quite loud at full throttle! Once the motor settles to flight RPM is is not so bad and in the air the noise is a slight hummmm. As Randy said the square corners give you a great sound.

Mike   

Offline Larry Wong

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2008, 09:39:59 PM »
Mike I've notice that to it's almost hard to tell if the speed is up for take off, I finely got a full pattern with my ECL I have 65 ft lines and lape time at 5.0 for 6 min will try to cut the time down to 5 min.
Larry

Believing is the Beginning to greatness <><

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #12 on: June 18, 2008, 02:10:55 PM »
I can tell you that holding Paul's Impact XLE, the thing about drags me around the circle. Tremendous amount of thrust is generated.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 18, 2008, 05:23:24 PM »
Electric provides a very consistent run. More so than any IC engine I've observed. Biggest draw backs are weight and price. Issues of weight are offset somewhat by flexibility in adjusting CG (no add on weights, simply move battery). Also, CG does not shift as the battery charge is used up. Battery packs cost a lot, no way around that, but chargers and balancers can be used for different systems. Crashes are also, I believe, more problematic and expensive, when it comes to electric. Very easy to damage a battery pack in a crash. Motors are also, I believe, more vulnerable than IC to crash damage. At Brodak I saw an electric Smoothie brought in hot stripping the landing gear, smashing the nose some. Not a particular difficult or expensive repair in an IC plane. In this case the battery pack was bent and probably compromised. Costly. The motor as well may have been knocked out of balance with a slightly bent shaft.

Crashes are not a problem for Mike. Only thing I've seen him crash is Jack Weston's Fox 35 powered Ringmaster. Mike often dorks that.

Offline proparc

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 18, 2008, 05:55:19 PM »
Electric in and off itself does not deliver a winning advantage. I tend to see it the same as the difference between 2 and 4 strokes, you can take care of your business with either one. In the RC F3A world where you can REALLY assess it's high level competitive capabilities, it's really a wash. A YS DZ 170 up against a full blown Plettenberg setup comes down to the pilot as usual. It is very similar to the scenario in modern day frontline fighters. One side makes a big technical jump. The other side catches up. Parity is achieved and they end up going back to WWI style phone booth dogfighting.

I have personally met people who for some reason or another simply cannot master stunt motors. Dave Fitzgerald could remove his PA 75 setup out of his plane and give it to them and man,I tell you, they would screw it up!!! I think the electric just may be the savior for them.  I personally would not hesitate use them to grind out practice flights in a sensitive community situation.

Milton "Proparc" Graham

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 18, 2008, 09:10:30 PM »
Perhaps we underestimate the skill involved in tuning in an effective stunt run with IC. Those, in the past, who competed at the highest level had mastered the intricate drill to the point where adjustments were intuitive or at least familiar. But the process is a very subtle one that takes many factors into account. All kinds of variables come into play that will upset a given adjustment. It seems to me it takes years of hands on experience to compensate for atmospheric shifts. Experience and a "feel" are essential when troubleshooting the numerous breakages (large and small) that upset a good IC run. It's often hard and tricky to diagnose tank leakage, plug deterioration, bad vibration resonance etc. Even the widely experienced and expert get a bad run now and then. New setups, in any case, often take lots of time to get right.

Electric, from what I've observed, has a big advantage here. No sweat getting a good motor run. Also, I believe, easier to tune for optimum performance.

In any case: I HATE ELECTRIC!
« Last Edit: June 19, 2008, 03:54:08 AM by Dennis Moritz »

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: June 19, 2008, 04:21:24 AM »
I question the engine run. Those that run IC engines work to maintain a good run and no over run. Electics are programed. No overun! Why in competition is the advantage given to electric. Seems a bit unfair considering the hoopla when Windy used a timer. Any comments!
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 19, 2008, 04:44:01 AM »
Yes. Why not allow engine powered planes to use a timer. At Brodak even Dan Banjok a heckuva engine tuner had an overrun in profile. His recalcitrant LA46 running lean and over long. I watched Dan tuning in the Saito 72 that powers his Vista, a process that evolved over 2 or 3 seasons. Palko is still fiddling with props on his new electric Mustang. (After 16 flights.) But watching these guys make adjustments side by side, it seems to me that Mike has by far an easier time of it. As far as engines go, even what appears to be a simple set up, can be daunting. Dan has fiddled for a year and a half to get his Foxberg Miss Sarah to run right. It would take a page or two (or more) to describe the lengthy process. Mike's mention of my "mushy profile" poor engine runs is sadly accurate. Last season nothing ran consistently for me. Every competition was plagued by weird engine stuff. It didn't seem to matter which of three planes I tried. Even with DB and Jack Weston (and Mike) troubleshooting, it was run run runaway. This year, so far, EVERYTHING seems to be working. Go figure. In the meantime the electrics hum without an overrun or over lean run. Time after time.

(Nevertheless, I still hate electric.)

Kim Doherty

« Reply #18 on: June 19, 2008, 07:51:43 AM »
I question the engine run. Those that run IC engines work to maintain a good run and no over run. Electrics are programed. No overrun! Why in competition is the advantage given to electric. Seems a bit unfair considering the hoopla when Windy used a timer. Any comments!
Thanks
Wayne

Hi Wayne,

Certainly in FAI F2B there is no restriction on the use of a timer to stop the engine. The problem is much more complex however than it first appears.

The Electric setup:

1. When you "start" the motor you are at the same time starting the timer countdown. The two are in sync and will not result in a flight running short or long. It will run exactly to the preset duration.

2. The mechanism to actually shut the motor off is just some logic in the chip. Logic weighs very little. No other physical apparatus is required. The power for this comes from the flight battery and so there is no additional weight penalty incurred.

The IC setup:

1. Assuming you have implemented a timer, you would have to decide whether to manually start the timer before flipping the prop (and taking a chance that the engine did not fire immediately with a resulting shortened run) or manually initiating the timer after the engine had started (with the possibility that the time taken since signaling the timekeeper is longer than what is required to shut off and land under the time limit)

2. You will need to determine an effective means of stopping the engine. A partially shut off engine will run lean, cook the engine and put you over the time limit. If you are racing this might not seem like much of a risk. In stunt a good motor is a pretty valuable commodity.

3. You will need some physical means to make the engine shut off. Let's assume you will pinch the fuel line. You will need a battery, a servo, a timer/device to control the servo, a method of setting/initiating the timer, access to all of the components (the battery will need to be removeable), access to the fuel line from the servo and a device to hold the fuel line while you are pinching it. This will weigh a fair bit and will need to be located up close to the nose of the plane. (C of G issues)

Alternative IC Setup:

Learn how to manage your engine run properly like all of the top fliers do and meter the correct amount of fuel. (there now that was pretty simple Eh?)

Kim   :-)

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: June 19, 2008, 01:19:29 PM »
Kim, I'm not complaining, I don't fly well enough to do so. However judging from your descriptions it takes more to accomplish a non overun flight with an IC engine setup than electric. I just wanted to know if thats fair. Sounds to me that electric should have its own class. I see pull tests, line size and overuns as issues in C/L aerobatics, electric versus IC.
I can surely tell you that I favor pull tests based on weight versus displacement. How can you compare an IC engine to an electric motor to determine pull test.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Online Crist Rigotti

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Electric - The future of Old Time Stunt
« Reply #20 on: June 19, 2008, 03:52:07 PM »
Next year if the votes pass, you won't have to worry about the line pull test.  They will all be the same.
Crist
AMA 482497
Waxahachie, TX
Electric - The Future of Old Time Stunt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #21 on: June 19, 2008, 09:00:30 PM »
I'll make a controversial statement.  y1

I will bet that in 10-15 years, glow engines will be in the same position that ignition engines are in now. In electric, things will only get better. Glow will get better too, but not a lot-it is after all pretty good right now, but I don't think there is a lot of room there for improvement (unless someone comes up with a miracle principle). Electric will only go up (only way to go!), batteries will get lighter---electric motors are already pretty efficient, only 20-30% improvement there.

To back up what I say, my Electric Arf Nobler weighs 44oz. My Brodak 40 version of same weighs ~39oz, but without fuel. When they match up this close, I am not sure of the intrinsic glow advantage.

Now another question is how the models will evolve for electric. Right now the state of art has evolved for the big lazy large displacement glow powerplants. I can easily believe that they are not optimal for electric. It will take a really good flyer (not me!) who is willing to experiment in airframes to lead the way.

Offline Mike Palko

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: June 19, 2008, 09:25:15 PM »
Hi Alan,
   Your comments may be controversial, but they may also be true. I have said since my first electric pattern in 2003 that electric is in the stage of life that the glow engine (forget spark ignition) was way back when. Look how bad the performance was in the IC early days and compare it to how good the performance is with electric already! This is using off the shelf R/C items, not purpose built like many of the IC engines are for PA. It is scary to think what could be possible in the next 10-15 years and I look forward to it.

Mike

Kim Doherty

« Reply #23 on: June 19, 2008, 10:06:29 PM »
Over the last two years I have had the distinct and enlightening pleasure to be involved with Paul Walker in the development of not one, not two but THREE !! electric models. To make a long story short, at every step of the way by way of comparison with any other model he may have flown, the electric has come out ahead as the clear choice to do battle with. This includes going head to head with his 2006 IC powered W/C's plane to determine which model would make the journey to France.

In just two years he has mastered the electric model, won a spot on Team USA and in approximately five weeks will more than likely become the first person to fly an electric model in the finals of the W/C's.

To question IF electric power is the equal of IC or better is the same as wondering if shaving the corners off of nickel shaped wheels would be an improvement.

And to answer Wayne's question about fairness, it is of course fair. The rules make it so. There is no discussion now or pending about a separate class or other accommodations. Thats all been looked at and put to bed. Time to move on. Time to move ahead.

Kim. 

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #24 on: June 20, 2008, 05:03:39 AM »
Fine. Never said that it wasn't worth doing. I wouldn't question progress just how things get stepped on going up the road.
Thanks
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD

Alan Hahn

« Reply #25 on: July 17, 2008, 02:45:00 PM »
....snip

To question IF electric power is the equal of IC or better is the same as wondering if shaving the corners off of nickel shaped wheels would be an improvement.

...snip
Kim. 

What the heck is a nickel shaped wheel??? Now I am curious!

Kim Doherty

« Reply #26 on: July 18, 2008, 08:02:43 AM »

Kim. 

Alan,

I guess thats the problem with writing to a multinational audience. Our nickels used to be twelve sided.

So I will now restate this in AMERICAN English (oh the poor Queen)

To question IF electric power is the equal of IC or better is the same as wondering if dry paint is an improvement over wet.

Kim  :)

Alan Hahn

« Reply #27 on: July 18, 2008, 01:08:30 PM »
I'm guessing when common glow plugs hit the $10 range (not the OS 4 stroke plugs which are already there), electric will begin to look cheap!

Offline Dave Evar

• Ensign
« Reply #28 on: August 21, 2008, 10:54:35 AM »
In reference to Dennis Mortiz’s 6/18 note about the Electric Smoothie crash at Brodak's June 13.  I actually clipped the ground at the bottom of an outside loop, surgically removing the vertical fin.  The plane continued smoothly around up to about ten feet, stalled and went in nose first due to lack of airspeed.  The main parts of the plane stopped shortly before the landing gear, battery, and ESC stopped.  The pilot sustained no injury.  The spinner was already modified similar to the Adamisin Oriental.

Mike Palko was not encouraging when I showed him the battery.  I didn’t even touch that plane for over a month after returning home.

After the extended period of indecision, reconstruction cautiously began.  It took a whole two or three hours.  In addition to the battery, the ESC had smashed thru the firewall, which had been modified for wiring and ventilation, and posed no resistance.  Battery damage turned out to be cosmetic.  There is now a clearer path for ventilation.  The motor “feels” different, but performs just fine.

What it is:   Brodal ARF Smoothie, 50 oz. (ugh).  Tank area modified to accommodate the ten oz. EVO 11.1 volt, 3.3 amp Li-Po battery, shoved way back into altered cockpit area.  Rimfire 35-48-1300 motor.  APC 11.5X4 gas prop.  Viper 60-Amp ESC.  Will Hubin FM-1 timer.  BP Hobbies charger (as advertised in MA, August, pg.15)  Flight time 5.5 minutes, 5 to 5.2 second laps, using 27 amps, about 75% of the battery.

All I need now is to learn how to fly.

Dave
Brooklyn OH

North Coast Control Liners   Find us on Face Book
Bean Hill Fliers, Albion PA Akron Skymasters Control line Association  Gone, but not forgotten.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: August 31, 2008, 10:22:29 AM »
If that battery shows any kind of physical damage it's a bomb waiting to go off!  It may seem to work all right but beware!  If you've never seen a li-poly fire you're in for a shock.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #30 on: September 13, 2008, 07:14:13 AM »
About the paradigm....

It won't shift fully to electrics until electric motor's are on a power level equal to a PA ROJ 75,76 or higher and the weight of an AT .36.  That's when there will be no choice whatsoever; that you must have electric to even be remotely competitive.

Jim Pollock, seems reasonable to me....... y1  n~ 

Alan Hahn

« Reply #31 on: September 13, 2008, 09:47:10 AM »
Jim,
Actually the motors are already there---some small issues with the batteries, although they are already close enough. Now add in a little airframe design and you are way past the glow engine.

I feel a little sorry for the paper towel industry.

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: September 18, 2008, 04:41:18 PM »
Alan,

Granted Igor's electric wasn't too far behind David's IC PA .75 and if Paul could have kept his together a while longer the story there could have been different.  I guess we won't know for sure until Paul brings out his next XLE and avoids the bird swarms.

Jim Pollock  Look out  %^@ it's a bird!

Offline phil c

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: September 24, 2008, 09:50:30 AM »
What it is:   Brodal ARF Smoothie, 50 oz. (ugh). .......

All I need now is to learn how to fly.

Dave

Dave,  50 oz. Smoothie is going to be a handful no matter how you cut it.  It needs to be in the 40 oz. range.
phil Cartier

Offline MikeyPratt

• Captain
« Reply #34 on: September 26, 2008, 11:04:16 AM »
I see your question as being more of a statement.  The short easy answer is yes, e-power airframe designs can go places that are difficult to do with IC power.

The longer answer like WHAT changes - that will take a little longer to re-sort!  At the present just about all the electric airplanes flying are conversions of designs for IC.  E-power has certainly proven it's viable.  Next step will be the purpose-built birds, designed to take advantage of the cleaner installations, engine braking and ability to move the battery closer to the CG. 

I personally do not think canards will ever be better stunters than conventional layout, but electric surely makes it easier to try, and someone will prove or disprove the capability of a canard.  BTW have you noticed that almost everyone who talks about electric power also talks about TWINS?  I think electric designs will in time be substantially distinct from IC designs... y1

Well here are a few of my thoughts to the “E” revolution and design specific airframe requirements that I see at this point in time (no doubt things will need to change as batteries and “E” motors evolve).

Airframe Layout: I don’t see any advantage to pushers and canards at this time. But a delta wing may have some advantages by reducing the mass of the fuselage (weight).  My Delta Force, although IC powered, flies extremely well for an un-flapped model and has the fuel tank located on the C.G. It shows very little difference in trim from the beginning to the end of the flight. 

Wing Design: Not much of a shocker here from current practices, but slightly thinner airfoils to reduce the drag of the airframe.  However, a strong wing is still required mostly because the all up weights are not much different from IC powered models.  I-Beams may have an advantage at this time with their generally lighter construction (more on this later).

Fuselage: This is where I think most of the changes will come to the forefront on “E” models.  The fuselage can be built without much or very little plywood reinforcement and eliminating the maple engine bearers.  More molded fuse parts such as top & bottom blocks, molded from thinner balsa stock and/or molded C/F parts.

Tail & Moments: Still, not much reason to change these except to help balance the model with the possible exception of building them lighter to make up for the lighter “E” motors.  Another option is to lengthen the nose to arrive at the proper C.G.

I am of the opinion that the closer the battery pack is to the C.G. the better.  Also, I think the battery pack should be located as close to the vertical C.G. as well.  This is where I think the I-Beam wing design allows the pack to be placed closer to the vertical C.G. without degrading the wing structure by cutting through the wing spars and center section sheeting.  I know there are other ways around this but this seems to be the best choice at this time without adding additional weight.

I started crunching numbers and doodling on the computer to see just what I would come up with an “E” PA stunt design, and so far, it still looks like a Magnum or a “G” Force <LOL>.  But I will keep at it a see where all this leads me.

Mikey

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: September 29, 2008, 01:40:37 PM »
There are big bucks being spent on electric systems.  On smaller, more powerful motors, on smaller, lighter, safer, cheaper power sources.  On control systems, etc.  So as time goes by electric is going to become more powerful, lighter, safer, cheaper, and more controllable.  ;D

In comparison, there is almost nothing being spent to develop better glowplug engines for model airplanes. I think we are talking billions vs thousands.  :o

I predict, in fifteen years, the only IC model airplane engine manufactured and offered for sale will be the Fox Stunt 35! LL~

Alan Hahn

« Reply #36 on: September 29, 2008, 08:05:50 PM »
Actually I don't think there is a lot of "R" in the R&D on DC electric motors. Basically it comes down to producing the strongest and cheapest (and heat resistant) permanent magnets.

The real R&D is in battery or fuel cell technology. That's where the future development is coming. The motors are really already pretty darn good.

Electric motors are trivial in their technology compared to the IC engine. Also IC engines are a pretty mature technology (been around on the scale of 100 years). I am not too sure what else you can do.

I agree that the Fox 35 will most likely be a survivor---sort of like cockroaches!! %^@

Offline Dean Pappas

• Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2008, 09:54:34 AM »
Hi Gang,
By and large, I'm with Mikey on almost everything.
Just to play devil's advocate, I have flown a killer canard, and it was a 1/2A. i hold great hope for that congiguration.

For "normally" configured Stunters, the improvement in polar inertia is second only to the lack of CG shift in importance.
As the powerplant characteristics are better tailored with development, we will see less design effort aimed at putting the brakes on in corners, and more L/D optimization. That means narrow flaps, as a first cut. It also means non-linear control mechanisms, as pioneered by Werwage, and brought to fruition by Igor Burger.
regards,
Dean Pappas
Dean Pappas

Offline Dennis Moritz

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #38 on: October 08, 2008, 05:10:07 AM »
Seems to me the paradigm shift towards electric is already apparent, with the electric technology getting better while the IC technology is fully mature with less likelihood of improvement. After all Mike Palko finished 8th at the past NATs in a Bob Hunt designed Mustang, sized for a PA61. Very, very, close to a top 6 finish. Mike's system is dead reliable while providing a high level of performance. One remarkable aspect of Mike's system is the straight forward conventionality of the approach. Components are off the shelf, but well matched.

Offline John Hammonds

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #39 on: October 08, 2008, 12:37:45 PM »
and if we could one day leave the battery out of the plane.......  #^

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/6725955.stm

TTFN
John.
I started out with nothing and still have most of it left.....
Fast, Cheap, Reliable - Choose any 2!
BMFA 165249

Offline Peter Ferguson

• Commander
« Reply #40 on: October 24, 2008, 09:23:03 AM »
Yesterday we took out another test plane, a Vector ARF.  Did the assembly, Programmed the ESC and did some pre-flight tests in the garage one evening.

Dennis could you provide the setup on the ARC Vector and how it came out weight and performance-wise. I've been pondering a setup like this.
Peter Ferguson
Auburn, WA

Offline Ted Fancher

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: October 24, 2008, 09:43:42 PM »
I'm curious why some feel one advantage of the electric is the ability to put the battery somewhere around the CG. The "full" battery weighs pretty much the same as the"empty" battery so, as far as I can see, the battery ought to be used to adjust the CG to where the airplane flies best.  That is a dandy advantage.

Placing a heavy battery over the desired CG location (around 25% MAC)  means that more dead weight would almost certainly have to be placed up around the much lighter motor to get the CG to its optimum location.  The only other option would be to make noses very long so that the airplane would balance correctly without adding dead weight behind the motor.

What am I missing here????

Ted

p.s.  Never having held an electric motor equivalent in power to a modern .60/.75 IC engine I might be all wet here.  Does the electric motor weigh more than a equally powerful IC engine???

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: October 24, 2008, 11:30:42 PM »
Ted,
from my limited experience thus far what you say is the direction I approached it from. One of the things we are dealing with now is that most of the people are using airframes that were designed for IC engines. for example, my P-40 flew with an LA 46 , the engine weighs about 8.6 oz plus a small muffler. Then the fuel tank as well. I in fact ended up with the battery forward of the CG to balance the beast.
 Now on my new bird, I did the math and extended the nose a small amount which allowed the battery to live much closer to the cg. The one thing that has to be considered is that the battery is so heavy it dramatically affects the vertical CG. On my new bird dihedral allows the battery to find a happy home closer to the vertical cg. The AXI  motor I am using weighs abotu 6.5 oz. the batteries are about 14 oz. I will in fact have some room to move the battery forward and back to adjust the cg. Another thing I found was that by the battery living on the outside of the fuse (profile) I was able to take out most all of the tip weight.
one of he things of concern is accelerating the mass of the battery around corners if its to far away from the cg. Or so is my feelings. I dont know of any of the gents flying electric that are just placing the battery flat out on the cg.
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #43 on: October 25, 2008, 07:51:40 AM »
Pete:

Thanks for question.  The Vector was built for John B, using Brodak components.  It uses a Brodak motor and (3S x 4000mah) Brodak battery.  This is controlled by a Phoenix 35 ESC and a Will Hubin timer.  It drives a 10x5 APC-E prop at roughly 10,500 to fly the Vector ARF quite well on 61' to 63' lines using about 2400-2700 mah of the battery depending on the line length, speed selected and wind.  The set-up duplicates what my nephew has been flying in a Oriental ARF for the past two seasons.  We have also flown both of these birds with 11X5.5 APC-E prop - it works but the motor runs hotter.  The Oriental flat-out flies better with a 10" instead of the 11" prop too, the Vector flies well witht he 10" or 11" prop.

The installation included removing the existing engine mounting beams (easier than it sounds) installing the electric motor mount on the nosering, and putting the battery in what had been the tank compartment.  The battery is about the same size as a 5 oz metal fuel tank.  The Vector cowl is long and provides adequate access for battery change-out.  One unforseen consequence: the E-vector is actually a touch tail heavy.  I think that kind of dovetails with Ted's post.

Another solid opportunity is the system I used in the Swinger.  That has a Rimfire 35-36-1200 motor, 4Sx2500 battery, Phoenix 35 and Will Hubin timer with a 10x5 APC-E.  This system is about 5 oz. lighter (about 13 oz total) and will easily turn a 11" prop.  I am using this system in a new still double secret bird which I will set-up with an 11" prop.

Have I confused the issue enough yet?  b1
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #44 on: October 25, 2008, 08:22:06 AM »
I'm curious why some feel one advantage of the electric is the ability to put the battery somewhere around the CG. (snip)

Placing a heavy battery over the desired CG location (around 25% MAC)  means that more dead weight would almost certainly have to be placed up around the much lighter motor to get the CG to its optimum location.  The only other option would be to make noses very long so that the airplane would balance correctly without adding dead weight behind the motor.

Ted

p.s.  Never having held an electric motor equivalent in power to a modern .60/.75 IC engine I might be all wet here.  Does the electric motor weigh more than a equally powerful IC engine???

Ted:
You are of course completely correct about the CG-trade-off.  No real advantage to moving the battery back to the CG unless you can also make the tail weigh less and/or the nose longer to still hit the CG. 

Digging a little deeper, the  heaviest E-power component is the battery, and in most set-ups that is roughly located where the fuel tank would be - meaning its moment arm is shorter than the motor.  For "big power", I think PW's original set-up uses a very large/heavy battery which compelled him to work some magic to get that mass closer to the CG.  Mike Palko's Mustang designed for similar power level uses a lighter battery in a more "normal" arrangement.  I believe Mike also uses an adjustable battery tray so he can fine tune CG.  In both cases PW's & Mike's birds weights are similar to most 75 sized IC birds - its a break even.

My new bird has the battery on a tray to move it over about a 2" range for CG refinement.  I do not have what Mark suggested, and that is a means of adjusting the battery VERTICALLY for vertical CG.

You KNOW what size bird and power level I like!  The complete power package in the Swinger weighs about 13 oz and delivers power of a strong 40.  Weight-wise it is competitive with a 35-40 size IC power system, especially when you include the weights of motor mounts & such.  It is perfectly feasible to use this power set-up in a Classic sized bird and still hit a Classic weight target of around 40 oz.

My new Classic Typhoon will use this power system, with the battery located as low as possible to control the vertical CG, and as far forward as possible to emulate the old unmuffled McCoy 40 I used in 1969.  Looks like the battery will be nearly UNDER the motor in the middle of the chin scoop, hopefully with some fore-aft adjustment room...

Addendum:
I see way back in post #2 I said something about moving the battery closer to CG: the context for that statement was the E-Oriental conversion which as built was a little noseheavy.  However, I am now using a 2 oz lighter motor, and 3.5 oz lighter battery.  A "new" Oriental could easily weigh 5 oz less with all of the weight loss ahead of the CG.  Thus CG issue could easily swing the other way!  Still, there are no plans to convert the Oriental to the lighter package; it flies fine as is and I'd rather spend my efforts on NEW stuff.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2008, 08:50:07 AM by Dennis Adamisin »
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

Alan Hahn

« Reply #45 on: October 25, 2008, 10:29:50 AM »
I'm curious why some feel one advantage of the electric is the ability to put the battery somewhere around the CG. The "full" battery weighs pretty much the same as the"empty" battery so, as far as I can see, the battery ought to be used to adjust the CG to where the airplane flies best.  That is a dandy advantage.
<snip>....

Ted

To some extent I think this type of thinking [putting the battery on the cg] comes from the "bad old days" where the battery was a real heavy brick, and the only way to get a balance was to get it back near the cg. With modern Lipo batteries, the weight is often not much heavier than the full tank that it replaces. That countered with an electric motor which weighs less than the glow engine, the tank compartment is usually a pretty good place to put the battery.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here