News:

• May 03, 2024, 11:23:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Control throws  (Read 1511 times)

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Control throws
« on: June 14, 2010, 12:42:09 PM »
This is really more of a trim question, but it goes to design as well. If you have an overweight plane, it is worthwhile to increase the amount of flap throw (relative to elevator) in order to get a bit more flap deflection to help carry the additional poundage? I'm flying a plane that really goes pretty well but clearly has some issues with portliness. Most of the pattern is fine, but in areas when extra lift is needed, well, it has some minor problems. It's not grossly heavy, but heavier than I would like.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
Re: Control throws
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2010, 03:21:25 PM »
Ty,

Well, I have the engine running where I want and I shortened the lines to get a bit more relative speed. I was just wondering if it's worthwhile to increase the amount of throw in the flaps to increase lift. I don't need a lot, just a bit.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2010, 10:46:58 AM »
Randy, what is your flap to elevator throw ratio?

Here at our altitude, we usually wind up with 26-28 degrees of flap to 32-36 degrees of elevator. With heavier airframes, we dial out a little elevator thus getting closer to 1-1. I persoanally feel that exceeding 1-1 is not a good idea, though I tried it at one time. The quality of the turn suffered, but then the plane might have been OK had the loading been higher.

Dial out a little elevator and see what happens.   H^^
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 03:02:14 PM by John Miller »
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2010, 02:51:56 PM »
Right now I'm getting about 17% flap to 20% elevator (more or less). What I'm really looking to do is bring it to 1 to 1. Normally, I set them up with a bit more elevator than flap. I'm just wondering aloud really if having more flap relative to the elevator is worthwhile. I'm not talking about 45° of flap to 25° or elevator or anything, just if having a bit more flap that elevator is worthwhile.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline John Miller

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2010, 03:05:54 PM »
I think I see where you are going now Randy. Simply dialing out elevator might not do the job, since you only have 17 degrees of flaps. going to 1-1 might leave you still wanting.

Is it possible for you to easily dial in more flap?

About 26 degrees on both might give you enough elevator to handle the turn if you dialed in slightly over square on the flaps. H^^

Edit: about an hour later....

I just finished reading a classic construction artical by Jean Pailet, wherin he describes getting his best flights out of his Skylark design when he dialed in, more than a bit more flap than elevator. He also described the plane as heavy. It appears that there's room for experimentation. Randy.

S?P H^^
« Last Edit: June 15, 2010, 04:02:17 PM by John Miller »
Getting a line on life. AMA 1601

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2010, 04:45:29 PM »
Thanks John. What I can do is dial out some elevator then increase the line spacing a bit to get the amount of elevator throw I'm using back. The control will move more than I am using, that's clear. So I will give it a try this weekend and see what I have. It seems in corners that it needs just a bit more lift. Not a lot, just a little.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2010, 08:29:43 PM »
This is really more of a trim question, but it goes to design as well. If you have an overweight plane, it is worthwhile to increase the amount of flap throw (relative to elevator) in order to get a bit more flap deflection to help carry the additional poundage?

Yes.

Brett

Online Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2010, 10:00:19 PM »
Ty,

Well, I have the engine running where I want and I shortened the lines to get a bit more relative speed. I was just wondering if it's worthwhile to increase the amount of throw in the flaps to increase lift. I don't need a lot, just a bit.

Air speed will get you more lift and more room to manuver. LENGTHEN the lines then power-up to get your lap times back.
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Serge_Krauss

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2010, 11:47:24 PM »
Yes, and by achieving the same lap times on longer lines, you increase line tension too.

SK

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
    • Aero Products
« Reply #9 on: June 16, 2010, 12:39:50 PM »
Ty,

Hi Randy

I would put the ratio to 1 to 1  and you would use longer lines to get more airspeed, not shorter ones, both will help with increasing lift, If the flaps are small you can add a little chord.
I assume the hinge lines are sealed?

Regards
Randyl

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #10 on: June 16, 2010, 12:59:46 PM »
Randy,

Yes, the hingelines are sealed. This isn't a horrible problem or anything. The plane is just a bit overweight. I can fly a decent pattern with it, but I have to keep the corners a bit softer than I'd like and have to be careful in windy/turbulent conditions to get the plane to fly through certain rough spots. I was just wondering if a bit more flap would help give it a touch more lift to help in some of those spots. Perhaps help to tighten the corners somewhat. It's not a bad plane like it is.

I actually shortened the lines a bit. I have the engine running just about where I want it. But the lap times were too slow to help much in lift. I could go up in pitch to increase airspeed or shorten the lines to increase air speed. I decided to try shorter lines and that definitely helped. I may go back to the longer lines (about 2 feet) and just try another prop with a bit more pitch at some point.

Just messing around with the plane, trying to overcome some minor handicaps I managed to give it. The real cure is to build the plane again but lighter.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #11 on: June 16, 2010, 07:56:40 PM »
Randy

It seems then that the plane is close enough that just a small increase in lift will solve the small problem you have. I have always had much better luck running a couple of feet longer lines and using a little more pitch, This is the way to increase the airspeed. Along with the change to a 1 to 1 control ratio  you should have...problem solved...    ;D

Regards
Randy

steven yampolsky

« Reply #12 on: June 16, 2010, 10:08:05 PM »
This is really more of a trim question, but it goes to design as well. If you have an overweight plane, it is worthwhile to increase the amount of flap throw (relative to elevator) in order to get a bit more flap deflection to help carry the additional poundage? I'm flying a plane that really goes pretty well but clearly has some issues with portliness. Most of the pattern is fine, but in areas when extra lift is needed, well, it has some minor problems. It's not grossly heavy, but heavier than I would like.

Randy,

Longer lines and more pitch are indeed good ideas. I used them successfully on a 78oz Cardinal(it was 82oz before I put it on Jenny Craig). There is one more trim suggestion:
By increasing amount of flap movement, you also increase amount of down pitch(on inside turns). This has the same effect as forward CG only it's there during turns. Move the CG back a bit more than usual. This will cause the model to become more sensitive in level flight but the upside will be smaller control surface movements. Correct sensitivity with handle spacing.

Steve

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: June 16, 2010, 11:02:12 PM »
This will cause the model to become more sensitive in level flight but the upside will be smaller control surface movements. Correct sensitivity with handle spacing.

If he is really running out of lift, I don't think he wants to move the CG aft or reduce the control throw. If he needs more lift, you want the flaps to deflect more. Running the CG *forward* will cause him to have to move the elevator more for a given pitch rate, and which gives him more camber, which increases the lift for  given pitch rate. Just like Al mentioned in the Bearcat article. If there was no way to change the flap/elevator ratio, that would have been my recommendation. Since he can adjust the ratios, leaving the CG alone and increasing the flap:elevator ratio is a much better solution. Ted and I went through this in 2004 at the W/C and NATs on his airplane. Moving the CG forward helped but a tiny change to add some flap travel worked FAR better.

And with all due respect to everyone, using longer lines and (presumably) flying it faster is pretty much my last choice. It will hypothetically help, but only very weakly compared to a lot of other solutions. And with far worse potential side effects - more line whip, less precision, more control compliance, etc. At best it's going to add maybe 5% to the airspeed (maybe 10% more lift). But you can get a far better effect with .2" less pitch (helical) and whatever RPM it takes to keep the same airspeed - might cut the speed loss in the corners from 20% to 10% and only when it counts. That a lot more lift with no ill effects of longer lines. Or, take the same prop, and add 1/4" of pitch at the last 3 stations - similar effect, with none of the downsides. Or 5% more nitro or 1/4" shorter pipe, same effect again. Or, in a pinch, another 1/2" of diameter, although that is my second-to-last choice, again, because of the side-effects.

Brett
« Last Edit: June 17, 2010, 10:47:40 AM by Brett Buck »

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: June 17, 2010, 05:00:57 AM »
The 'Big Flap ' trick gets it feeling like a 4 w d car on gravel ,  Traction at the wing LIFTING the wing thu the corners ( squares ) .

SO , what your feeling at the handle is the wing pulling it through and the tail being sucked along behind , as it were .

Someone somewhere once said more flap travle relates to geting the C.G. a notch aft , and Visa Versa ,(or was it the other way round ? )
 NO ,

With variable ratios youll definately feel the effect , like oversteer , maybe . Anyway , feel rather differant , to the usual  feedback of the

elevator altering the angle of incedance.where sudden movements get resistance.

Theres a continuous firm soft ( marshmellow ? ) resistance from the flaps of a higher magnitude ,than that of the elevators  which take a

bit of detecting over the larger primary force .

Talking  20 - 30 deg flap ea way here .

AND longer lines'l give you more airspace AND lift @ the same sec. per Lap . More inertia to , so thatll keep you on the balls of your feet .
and help your appreciation of timing. Effects are less obvious in rounds , probly improve steerability in overhead 8 s .Watch the wind up .

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 17, 2010, 09:51:16 AM »
Now I am thoroughly confuse or even more than normal.  Guess I will pull my Ringmaster off the hook and go play. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #16 on: June 17, 2010, 10:06:03 AM »
Brett's line of thought is what I have been thinking. I have plenty of power and drive on the engine. Certainly enough to pull it through maneuvers even with more flap travel ... easily. What I wanted was just to get a touch more lift out of the wing.

However, there's a new problem. I looked at the elevator adjustment (it's a slider horn) and I already have it out at the end of the horn. No more room. Hmmm... Maybe I'll just need to live with it. It's not a bad flying plane at all. In good conditions, it's a lot of fun to fly. But in heavy turbulence or dead air, it just doesn't have quite enough lift in the corners and in areas of the pattern where you really need it.

AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: June 17, 2010, 11:08:21 AM »
Brett's line of thought is what I have been thinking. I have plenty of power and drive on the engine. Certainly enough to pull it through maneuvers even with more flap travel ... easily. What I wanted was just to get a touch more lift out of the wing.

You may have missed part of that point. Even with the flaps as they are, tweaking in a little more speed stability via prop changes will be far more effective than longer lines.

However, there's a new problem. I looked at the elevator adjustment (it's a slider horn) and I already have it out at the end of the horn. No more room. Hmmm... Maybe I'll just need to live with it. It's not a bad flying plane at all. In good conditions, it's a lot of fun to fly. But in heavy turbulence or dead air, it just doesn't have quite enough lift in the corners and in areas of the pattern where you really need it.

D'OH!

Yet another alternative, still better than longer lines, would be to tape a strip balsa about 1/4" wide and the thickness of the TE, to the trailing edge of each flap to give yourself more area. This is another direct solution to the problem. If it works, you can build new flaps the same size, and replace the current ones - because you *did* make the flaps removable, right?  

Brett

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #18 on: June 17, 2010, 12:38:57 PM »
Hi Randy

As I had stated earlier up this thread, you can add on a little to the TE of the flaps to increase area, That was one of the suggestions along with moving toward 1 to 1.
I agree with Brett that adding flap movement is the first thing I would try, and putting out more thrust from the power plant does wonders. however the adding of a foot or maybe 2 will give you actual real lift, and if you are only adding a foot It will not make major feel changes or kill off performance.
I had a plane several years back I trimmed for a flyer who added a little extra paint and it was too heavy by just a tad. I added a 1\2 ounce nose weight to put the plane just a slight bit toward a more foward CG. then added 1 foot to the lines after that, Those 2 things were enough to make a substantial differance in flight and took the plane from one you eased thru the corners to now one that you could hit harder.
I have seen many many times back in the late 70s and early 80s when many went to the ST 60 the planes would drop in the corners if hit too hard, They added about a 1\4 inch pice to the flaps or made new ones to eleminate the loss of lift, Frank McMillan did much the same to a couple of his planes with excellent results.

Regards
Randy

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #19 on: June 17, 2010, 01:33:46 PM »
I'll give the additional flap a try. If it works, I'll just build new flaps for it.
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline RandySmith

• Administrator
  • Admiral
    • Aero Products
« Reply #20 on: June 17, 2010, 01:50:08 PM »
I'll give the additional flap a try. If it works, I'll just build new flaps for it.

Randy

Another thing I have done is take a dremel tool and made the slider slot longer, If your elevator slider has enough material you can maybe add to the slot by grinding a litle out

Randy

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2010, 08:39:49 AM »
Now I am thoroughly confuse or even more than normal.  Guess I will pull my Ringmaster off the hook and go play. H^^

If, two flapped wings , say 1.5+ O/A Chord seperation ,in tandem.as the mathematical model.

seeing front engined is the relevant configuration , the sums would start with were the C.G. is located ,

and what we do with the areas. So ,seeing the C.G. is pretty much defined, out of intrest ,assume

for and aft wing are eqal areas and equal control surface areas. (assue existing plane thus.)     O.K.

Where are the movements for desired flight envelope.   Define  .

THEN , cals @ curent rear wing % of mainplane area to provide same manouvreability .

Tho its not nessesarily possible due to mass to create such an airframe , the comparison

would presumably be, that @ some 1/3 of the  100 % area, the movements of the

convention rear control surfaces would require vasrtly more movement to equal the force at the

rear hinge.Probably exceed adheshion (stall?) other problems turning moment from flap deflection.

AND its effect on the centre of lift in relation to the c.g.

SO . . . after 3 days calcs on the slide rule , hed probably say "increase the flap chord".

Now where did I see that ! particularly if its airfoil is flatish surfaces aft of the  max depth.

A more curved airfoil would lend itself to larger flap movements,

looking at the airflow on the top surface of the wing . =contiuity of curve / re  disruption of air momentum .

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: June 18, 2010, 09:23:30 AM »
And, I was about to hack the P-38 to bits. flew it on 016 solids.

Year and a half since its flown- On .018 7 strand steel, which it

hit squares with acceptably. or predictably at least . Just as well

I recalled it, or didnt hack it up to soon.was going to pull in Stab

4 in and redisign stab.May do it , but not till ive tried it again on

non elastic lines . (next onel have to loose 12 or more ounces)

A/ If shes heavy it should punch through gusts . If say above 20 ft Alt its being deflected from path , three guesses .

B/ If shes stalling out in tight turns, which gets scarey in the bottom ones , Al Rabes bring the CG Fwd and increase Flap travel , to get

MORE LIFT.may be it.

Might pay to see if it stalls / wags / drops (looses lift) in the bottom corners.OBVIOUSLY  use a reserve of hight .IE pull out a bit high and hard.
(this is a TEST) preferably over  dropped of  ground. *
If its NOT stalling it may just be theres not enough ridjidity / resiliance in the control wires. The feeling like a Octopus out there .

Does it point / track ,STRAIGHT thru gusts @ height .Or are they steering it to a degree ? despite handle posn. One should
FEEL the air load on controls.Elev. easy.      BIG flap load not really the same feel  . at all .   

* not everyones cup of tea , but considerd a catapult launched plane to fly of a conical hill. Arrestor wires to stop runaway 'alighting'
   so would get Vert-8s 1/2 above , 1/2 below horizontal . See what I mean about a bit of 'drop of' , to avoid impacts. !
 the other drawback hitting over hard Sq bottoms is LEAPING aft if youve lost airspeed (stalled out) to maintain steering  .

* not sure if this will catch on ! Ifitll screw around like a combat wing , go anywhere you want ,its a good air test.Before trying pattern manouvres.

a perspective seperate from the 'prescribed flight path'. your trying for pointability and responce .If its O.K. there , It can clarify a few issues    elsewhere.                               

Like the odd vehical , some take more time for assimilation , learning there form rather than bending them to yours.                                      Matt.                   

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here