News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:30:53 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: CHECK OUT THE TEENIE FLAPS ON THIS ONE!!!  (Read 2217 times)

Offline Shultzie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
CHECK OUT THE TEENIE FLAPS ON THIS ONE!!!
« on: October 09, 2009, 01:03:50 PM »
After I saw this photo it reminded me of the time that I INSTALLED SOME REALLY HUGE OVERSIZED FLAPS on an old Nobler of mine.
However the FLAPS SHOWN ON THIS PHOTO ARE FAR AND AWAY LARGER than the ones on that old Blue Nobler that I made an elevator-flap size test bed out of it.

Talk about FLAPS TAKIN OVER ON TAKE OFF'S on my old Nobler with the oversized flaps...
(Even the slightest amount of UP ELEVATOR..would tip that Nobler on take off in a less than a heart beat...
Speaking of HEART BEATS... that was the first plane that I could tighten multi loops...tighter and tighter radius loops...until I could stall it into a flipping over n' over Tumbling thingee and just adding a tad netural input to the nose of the Nobler when the nose would point straight up----plus backing up and leading the lines...I could continue flying loops until...the lines became so stiff and bound up...I would have to do outside loops to uwind the mess.
I destroyed a really nice set of .015 lines that looked like a LADY'S HAIR CURLING IRON had been used on them.
Needless to say...I broke a lot of 9-6 Tornados with that Nobler...and Gary Letsinger and I ran out of 9-6 props.
However...after a few weeks of toying flap n elevator sizes...I returned the old orignial flaps and elevators than Geogeee Boy Aldrich had designed. That old Nobler served me and many other flyers after I gave that model to one of my son's friend and that old Nobler was PAID FORWARD many times before its last tarmac nose landing.
« Last Edit: October 10, 2009, 02:09:56 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
Re: CHECK OUT THE TEENIE FLAPS ON THIS ONE!!!
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2009, 09:56:49 PM »
I don't know about the flaps on the Nobler but it looks to me this guy could steal most of your girlfiends away.  LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 10:19:57 AM by Leo Mehl »

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2009, 10:50:05 AM »
Looks like one of the monstrosities folks built for the '84 Reno NATS; truly huge flaps. And they really didn't fly all that well, either . . .

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2009, 01:03:21 PM »
Things about flaps...that makes ya go-------------hummmmmmmmmmmmm? n~ n~
In the late 70's I was assigned to a wind tunnel test that was being conducted by a Swiss team of high performance sail plane glider nutzski's that were looking for ways to distribute the excessive forces that hinged flaps and ailerons were causing not only stress but also cause excessive stalls and including loss of altitude at higher altitudes where the air becomes  thinner?

For competition sail plane and sailboat rich folks...nothing is too krazzzeeee' or expensive for big boys with too much $$$ to spend on their toys. (Boeing in those daze days..were taking all kind of weird stuff from all kinds of BIG$$$ BOYS WITH TOYS.

For most of us model makers and the design team of Aero engineering staff...the first road block was simply trying to find  the right material with the correct amount of stiffness and flexibility that would allow the flaps (without a normal hinge line)to be workable...
but remain and afixed  solidly at the wingtips but still be flexible enough for  the pilots controls that would allow the wing itself to simply warp into the up or down configuration when control input to the flexible trailing edge of the sail planes long wings?

This test was a real  HB~>BANGER for everyone. Building a flutter model wing actually with such capibility was not a problem for a test but the R&D development time frame.

Sadly this sail plane flexible control surfaced project ran out of tunnel time and budget and the team ended up taking the test back to the Russian facility for further studies....

Often I keep thing back to just MAYBE A FIXED FLAP CONCEPT...FOR CLPA MODELS...could have some kind of merit...especially on HIGHER ASPECT WINGS..

After reading this drivil (too many cups of Starbucks java again)...I almost deleted this post.
Any thoughts on flexible moving surfaces on our wings n' elevators. LL~ LL~ n~ n~
« Last Edit: October 14, 2009, 01:20:32 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2009, 02:30:20 PM »
In the late 70's I was assigned to a wind tunnel test that was being conducted by a Swiss team of high performance sail plane glider nutzski's that were looking for ways to distribute the excessive forces that hinged flaps and ailerons were causing not only stress but also cause excessive stalls and including loss of altitude at higher altitudes where the air becomes  thinner?

For competition sail plane and sailboat rich folks...nothing is too krazzzeeee' or expensive for big boys with too much $$$ to spend on their toys. (Boeing in those daze days..were taking all kind of weird stuff from all kinds of BIG$$$ BOYS WITH TOYS.

For most of us model makers and the design team of Aero engineering staff...the first road block was simply trying to find  the right material with the correct amount of stiffness and flexibility that would allow the flaps (without a normal hinge line)to be workable...
but remain and afixed  solidly at the wingtips but still be flexible enough for  the pilots controls that would allow the wing itself to simply warp into the up or down configuration when control input to the flexible trailing edge of the sail planes long wings?

This test was a real  HB~>BANGER for everyone. Building a flutter model wing actually with such capibility was not a problem for a test but the R&D development time frame.

Sadly this sail plane flexible control surfaced project ran out of tunnel time and budget and the team ended up taking the test back to the Russian facility for further studies....

Often I keep thing back to just MAYBE A FIXED FLAP CONCEPT...FOR CLPA MODELS...could have some kind of merit...especially on HIGHER ASPECT WINGS..

After reading this drivil (too many cups of Starbucks java again)...I almost deleted this post.
Any thoughts on flexible moving surfaces on our wings n' elevators. LL~ LL~ n~ n~
I like big stiff flaps, they make the model look important OR is that impotent. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2009, 07:24:11 PM »
I like big stiff flaps, they make the model look important OR is that impotent. LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ LL~ HB~>

Great to have you back Leo...and you are RIGHT ON about LOOKING IMPORTANT...and also perhaps EQUALLY CORRECT when you said IMPOTENT!  

Especially when trying to take off a grass field that hasn't been mowed for a while...
In the good old daze-days... (1956 Collins Iowas school yard) brings back memories  of all those  busted honey colored transparent funny looking  plastic props...while trying to HOP OFF GRASS with flapped stunters.

I couldn't believe my eyeballs...the first time that happened and I actually thought that I had turned my handle upside down by mistake...when the prop wash re-direct the airflow onto the flaps instead of elevator...the result being that the flaps took over the elevators dirty double duty...LIFTING THE TAIL...AND TURNING THAT OLD PANTHER INTO A WEED WHACKER.
Don Shultz

Offline Jim Oliver

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2009, 11:27:08 AM »
Well, the kid looks OK, but he can't spell for nuttin'! ;D

Jim
Jim Oliver
AMA 18475

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2009, 07:53:43 PM »
Well, the kid looks OK, but he can't spell for nuttin'! ;D

Jim

Ha! Must be related to the SHULTZ CLAN? Spullin' twernt' ez fur me? LL~

FOURTY FARTY' HAD A PARTY? LL~ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2009, 12:49:19 PM »
Larry Scarenzi (spelling?) had a couple of supper flipper type airplanes, with 2/3 or more of the wing chord being the flaps.  One was a 1/2A and the other a 15 size airplane.  He told me they flew well. I built a pretty elliptical wing airplane for Sky Fury 074 inspired by Larry's really ugly 1/2A.  Have to find a photo and post it.

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2009, 07:45:34 PM »
This looks a bit like a Greenaway LJ. The idea was huge flaps that didn't deflect much. Worked pretty well.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 25, 2009, 08:32:06 AM »
That sounds logical.  Some said something about spelling.  I blame mine on this new fangled key board.  Nothing like the old type writers we used to learn typing in school.   My brother helped design the ball writer that IMB used to have.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Erik Janssen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: October 29, 2009, 11:12:19 AM »
Hi there, I recognised myself as the pilot with my Fourty Six-II model. I was part of the Dutch Team in the 1984 Chicopee World Championships. After the competition I travelled around for 6 weeks and spent some time with Windy Utknowski. I remember Windy told me the design was from Big Jim Greenaway. Het was kind enough to lend me his Reno Sweeper for a local Stunt Competition. I never flew a .60 before. We went practising and it felt good right after takeoff, without warning I threw it into the reverse wingover. I loved it. That week-end I competed at the Garden State Circle Burners against a lot of other pilots and finished 2nd. Jimmy Casale won the competition. I regret not having that model to compete in the WCh. I still have the trophy in my building room.

After returning home I constructed a big flap model, which did not work very well. The next season I constructed the Fourty Six II which was very good. In 1988 I flew 14 competitions in Europe, 7 wins, 6 second and 1 third place. My best season ever. The picture is from 1987.

Big flaps work but.... if they are warped you lose line tension everywhere. During the season I replaced the flaps 4 times. For weight reasons I decided to increase wing area and decrease the flaps. In 1994 I used roughly the same model for the World Championships in Shanghai, placed 21st and was very happy with the performance.

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 29, 2009, 12:24:35 PM »
ERIC!!!!
WELCOME ABOARD THE STUNT HANGER SOUL TRAIN!!!!
What an informative post about this great looking model that I found on the Fessel-website and since I first started that post...I have received quite a few E mails asking more about you and your CLPA models and history.

If you have a scanner and photos....and more interesting stories about our history in CLPA it would be a pleasure to keep this thread alive.

My apolo's to you...pertaining to  the Razzin'-n-jazzin' about those interesting LARGE FLAPS....(and the interesting spullin' on your wing by one of our fellow Stunt-Gruntin'-Spellin Freaks) I am looking forward to hearing more about your life in the stunt-circles.
 Again, THANKS for that Interesting story about where your interest in models with larger flap configurations came about.

Shultzie...
exiled here in Gig Harbor, Washington USA (PE**) HIHI%%
« Last Edit: October 29, 2009, 12:47:21 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

Offline Erik Janssen

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: October 29, 2009, 01:51:46 PM »
When leaving the USA Windy Urtknowski gave me a couple of pictures. Top one is Big Jim with one of the big flap models. Bottom pic is the Sweeper Reno that Windy was kind enough to let me fly. These guys really know what they are doing.

More interesting stories? Well after the 1996 WCh in Sweden I retired from active competition. The story seemed to end there. Then electric came along and I helped Bruno van Hoek to make it to the 2006 WCh in Spain, It worked but we did not know why. The years following that we learned more about electrical flight, made out own timer and this year I did one competition to prove my concept is working.

More on this in the engineering section of this forum.

Offline John Sunderland

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2009, 12:39:43 AM »
Hey man....its all in how you make it stall! LL~

Offline minnesotamodeler

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
  • Me and my Chief Engineer
    • Minnesotamodeler
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2010, 06:35:52 PM »
In the late 70's I was assigned to a wind tunnel test that was being conducted by a Swiss team of high performance sail plane glider nutzski's that were looking for ways to distribute the excessive forces that hinged flaps and ailerons were causing not only stress but also cause excessive stalls and including loss of altitude at higher altitudes where the air becomes  thinner?

For most of us model makers and the design team of Aero engineering staff...the first road block was simply trying to find  the right material with the correct amount of stiffness and flexibility that would allow the flaps (without a normal hinge line)to be workable...
but remain and afixed  solidly at the wingtips but still be flexible enough for  the pilots controls that would allow the wing itself to simply warp into the up or down configuration when control input to the flexible trailing edge of the sail planes long wings?

This test was a real  HB~>BANGER for everyone. Building a flutter model wing actually with such capibility was not a problem for a test but the R&D development time frame.

I monkeyed with the concept for awhile on a flat-wing combat plane..."flex-tail", I believe I christened it the "Stone Stabilator"!  It worked really, really well on some, not so well on others.  I couldn't find a construction method to make the flex predictable from one model to the next.  Each was unique in amount of flex, shape of flex, BC authority required, etc.  Not much good for mass production as I had in mind. 
--Ray 
Roseville MN (St. Paul suburb, Arctic Circle)
AMA902472

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 02, 2010, 10:15:39 AM »
WOW!
Reminds me of one of the Boeing Phantom Works projects that I had experience bouts of both   extreme pain and pleasure of airbrushing  some extreeeeeeemly thin  pressure sensitive paint finishes onto those flexible & delicate "Hingeless" control surfaced wind tunnel models. HB~> HB~> HB~> :-X

After all was sad and dung' on that project....I have always dreamed about a stunt model that contained both flap and elevator surfaces that could be easily moved, simply by warping the trailing edges but contained enough memory that once the control warp was not needed to instantly return to a COMMON NETURAL SETTING.  :!

( after re-reading this post of mine...TAKE EXTREME CAUTION....see what too many hours of sniffing strange fumes from strange exotic paint fomulas through my collection of Iwata paint guns..have done to my poor ol' 71 year old limited gene pool body of mine? n~ n~ n~ n~ :X
Don Shultz

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #17 on: February 02, 2010, 06:08:55 PM »
Photos of windy with the BJ's models Bij Jim designs Windys Artistry the white ship is the BJ 900 flaps 5" at root
Jose Modesto

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 02, 2010, 06:47:40 PM »
WOW! THOSE ARE SOME KIND OF HUGE CONTROL SURFACES...(talk about POWA'STEEEEEEERING!BIG TIME!!! LL~ LL~
Don Shultz

Offline Jim Pollock

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: March 10, 2010, 04:42:35 PM »
Ahh, Shultzie,

Those huge flaps would work great at 7,000 feet altitude with 90 degrees temperature.  Or, lower down if
you limit their throw to 10 degrees!

Jim Pollock   S?P

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #20 on: March 10, 2010, 06:00:56 PM »
the flaps on Big Jim's J model moved 66% of elevator deflection
assume 15 degrees of elevator, the flaps moved 10 Degrees so your number of 10 Degrees is correct.
From the photos taken of models flying the corners the elevator deflection looks to be less than 15 degrees.
Photo is my Big Jim LJ/ST46 model with 2/3 to 1 controls.
Jose Modesto

Offline Randy Powell

• 21 supporter
  • Admiral
  • TreeTop Flyer
« Reply #21 on: March 11, 2010, 03:00:42 PM »
Jose,

Now you're going to make me pull out the pictures of MY LJ. Sigh .... It's not as pretty as yours.
Member in good standing of P.I.S.T
(Politically Incorrect Stunt Team)
AMA 67711
 Randy Powell

Offline jose modesto

• 22 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #22 on: March 12, 2010, 06:22:49 PM »
Randy thanks for the compliment on my LJ. model as photographed had powder on wing panels for inking.
 Randy check out this BJ by Creg Gunder. This is the Repainted Model saved 8+oz

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here