News:

• April 26, 2024, 11:03:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Adj. Lead Out guides  (Read 17639 times)

Offline Bill Little

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
Adj. Lead Out guides
« on: February 14, 2012, 01:18:07 PM »
Hi All,

After seeing a few other posts I have a question:

Just how effective is having "both" lead outs adjustable, separately from each other?  I have used both but can't come to a conclusion myself.

Thoughts and ideas please!
Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Adj. Lead Out guides
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2012, 01:58:05 PM »
That's something else that's hard for me to calculate and the effect of which is hard for me to remember.  Randy Powell was doing this, but I forgot why. Randy?
The Jive Combat Team
Making combat and stunt great again

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2012, 02:42:31 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but I would think that the best lead spacing is to get them as close as possible without danger of the line clips binding.

If you look at Jim Walker's patent, one of his claims is about having well-spaced lines with one line specifically in front of the other, arranged so that if the plane yaws in it'll automatically pitch up or down (I can't remember which).  There's a long bit of razz-matazz about how this would self correct for line tension (so I assume that if it pitched in it'd get down elevator, go faster, and get more tense).

But as far as I can see, whatever benefit you may gain in positive-G flight from the lines being separated and arranged in a certain way (up in front vs. down in front), will turn into an equal and opposite liability as soon as you do negative-G maneuver  -- so it would seem to my over-analytical and under-experienced brain that the best thing to do is to negate any coupling between yaw and pitch commands as much as possible (by spacing your lines closely together), and get whatever effects you want in a direction-neutral way.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2012, 03:30:16 PM »
Anyone for Stanzel monoline then?
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2012, 04:13:18 PM »
Maybe I'm missing something, but I would think that the best lead spacing is to get them as close as possible without danger of the line clips binding.

If you look at Jim Walker's patent, one of his claims is about having well-spaced lines with one line specifically in front of the other, arranged so that if the plane yaws in it'll automatically pitch up or down (I can't remember which).  There's a long bit of razz-matazz about how this would self correct for line tension (so I assume that if it pitched in it'd get down elevator, go faster, and get more tense).

But as far as I can see, whatever benefit you may gain in positive-G flight from the lines being separated and arranged in a certain way (up in front vs. down in front), will turn into an equal and opposite liability as soon as you do negative-G maneuver  -- so it would seem to my over-analytical and under-experienced brain that the best thing to do is to negate any coupling between yaw and pitch commands as much as possible (by spacing your lines closely together), and get whatever effects you want in a direction-neutral way.

HI Tim,

Commercial lead out guides come with both holes in one slider, or two separate sliders.  I have used both, and when using the two line adj. I still keep them very close together.  I am wondering if guys like Howard, Ted, Brett, Dave, Derek, etc., etc., find a definitive reason to use separate adj. lead outs. ???

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2012, 04:25:13 PM »
I am wondering if guys like Howard, Ted, Brett, Dave, Derek, etc., etc., find a definitive reason to use separate adj. lead outs. ???

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Whilst I am not the likes of 'Howard, Ted, Brett, Dave, Derek, etc., etc' I think that having separate guides equates to the scientific train of thought of only ever changing ONE thing at a time and recording the results, and who is to say exactly what the line separation should be anyway, to some its 10mm, others 15mm and yet others profess to like the over and under system.

Its just one more tuning aid to add to your arsenal.

[/quote]
MAAA AUS 73427

You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something, sometime in your life.
 Nothing in life is so exhilarating as to be shot at without result.  It's not enough that we do our best; sometimes we have to do what's required

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
  • Klaatu barada nikto my ass
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #6 on: February 15, 2012, 12:56:58 AM »
Mightn't having lines separated by a larger distance (say >2") have some potential for imparting yaw to the model, particularly in a very rapid control application, like a 120 degree turn? A single slider is simpler, however dual sliders can be oriented to allow narrow line spacing, so you have more options.

A popular feature is the Rabe-style "backwards" bellcrank orientation, which sets the front line as UP. I always assumed this in the interest of orienting any yaw induced by the lines in a specific direction {say to yaw outward during an outside maneuver?}. In other words, it would seem to indicate we feel that line induced yaw exists. If this is not the case, please explain the thinking which prefers the front line as UP..

A few ships have oriented their line guides vertically, again making me assume someone intended to minimize line induced yaw.

I'm not referring to historical arguments about bellcrank fore/aft positioning inside the wing. {Ignoring leadout guide friction and altered bellcrank to flap horn geometry effects, bellcrank position does not matter.}

So. Does a significant force couple really exist?

L.

"Right now I'm having amnesia and deja vu at the same time. I think I've forgotten this before." -Steven Wright

AMA 247439 - '09, '10, '11, '12 and '13 Supporter of this site..

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2012, 09:17:40 AM »
OK,  the front line is "UP" control.  I am needing some tension over 45*.  I move my unified line slider 1/8" forward and test.

Same scenario but I have separate sliders.  Do I move both, equally 1/8" forward?  or just the front line?  Just the rear line? 

I have never really heard what the procedure is for trimming using two sliders.

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Online Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: February 15, 2012, 10:31:46 AM »
OK,  the front line is "UP" control.  I am needing some tension over 45*.  I move my unified line slider 1/8" forward and test.

Same scenario but I have separate sliders.  Do I move both, equally 1/8" forward?  or just the front line?  Just the rear line? 

I have never really heard what the procedure is for trimming using two sliders.

To start, put them as close together as you dare, and them move them together. IF and only if you have some untrimmable yaw in the square 8, move them apart to try to control it. You may find that you want the rear line up if you have it the other way, putting them right next to each other is the best you can do.

Brett

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2012, 12:11:50 PM »
On 1/2a stunt airplanes, I have gone to a single leadout hole.  On a small airplane like that, even 3/8 separation will give observable yaws with control input. 

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2012, 03:34:12 PM »
Reply to #6, Larry Cunningham's...

35 or so years ago, I worked up coarse estimates of several basic things:

...the leverage train from handle to bellcrank to horn(s)...

... using the fore-aft CG as the entire model, reduced to a hypothetical single point, to study forces acting on, through or near it...

... estimating the g-loads IF the model actually flew 5' or 10' radius turns, and in 45° loops, both low and high...

... using the g-loads, model weight, airspeed (from laptime on the flight radius, and approx time to complete a 90° turn or a 45° loop) to swag the lift required, and the lift coefficients needed to get the lift...

Various model publications printed ways to estimate the shape of the lines due to their drag, and to estimate the gyroscopic moments of props (by RPM, diameter and mass <weight>). The line curvature equation was by Pete Soule' in an Aeromodeller Annual (?1970-71?) and the gyro by J. van Hattum, a Dutch flier, in another AM Annual. (Pete Soule's article apparently led eventually to the highly refined LINE... programs.)

Coarse, crude but worked pretty well for me at my ever modest skill level.

Relevant conclusions:

Prop Gyro precession effects are - or can be - quite signicifant.

Leadout position can reduce unwanted yaw.

"Line rake" can be estimated. ...meaning, the angle the lines make as they reach the inboard tip/leadouts, so that the pull force aims through the CG. Flying lines can't push sideways, but the leadouts aim Pull through the leadouts along the "rake angle" direction.

Simple centrifugal force "Pull" (accepted term, let's ignore the precise definition for now?) can be estimated. Half the Pull is on each line when the model is ideally trimmed and flying low and level. The mid-point between leadouts is the effective "aiming point" at the CG.

Lines apply differing force to the bellcrank for maneuvering. The UP line, say, needs more force to force the flaps and elevators out into the airflow to execute inside maneuvers, and vice versa.
With the crude estimates of forces on the control surfaces, and knowing the linkage train, the difference between loaded and unloaded line force requirements can also be swagged.

As the gyro precession torques also can be estimated for severe maneuvers, these ideas can be combined to offset, or cancel out!, each other. Placing the leadouts to straddle the level flight pull direction by the distance which should counter the gyro yaw tendency should help...

Gross presumptions: to perform minimum radius corners, ALL line pull acts on the loaded line, none on the other. Where Pull aims - through the leadouts - shifts from centered on the CG toward the leadout on the loaded arm of the bellcrank.

"Natural" gyro reaction on a standard model (CCW engine, CCW flight) is "out on UP" and "in on DOWN" inputs. If the pull shifts forward of the CG on an inside maneuver, that forms a torque tending to pull the nose in, i.e., opposing the nose-out gyro yaw.

Using this loose chain of estimated forces, I guesstimated how wide the leadout spacing should be. The idea is to aim the pull through the loaded line far enough ahead of the CG (on insides) to at least partly counter the nose-out gyro yaw, and, vice versa, far enough aft of CG to partly counter the nose-in yaw on outsides.

All this for worst case conditions. Lesser cases were presumed to be covered when the worst cases were dealt with.

Of course, it is easier to estimate things for steady, low level flight. We fly an almost symmetrical pattern, in terms of the directions, locations and violence of rapid g-load changes.

"Hinging" seems to be a result of incorrect trim failing to counter the gyro yaw swing on hard corners:

The advancing wing goes faster, lifts more;  retreating wing slower, lifts less -> roll;

The higher lifting wing produces more induced drag, and vice versa -> yaw opposite to the roll's bank angle.

Again, all this is IMHO, but apparently did work to a useful degree for several years.
\BEST\LOU

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2012, 05:21:05 PM »
I've been trying to do some of these calculations.  If you calculate differential line tension due to hinge moment and prop gyro effect, you can see how much leadout separation it takes to counter the gyro effect.  I'll bet you will find that Al Rabe's coupled rudder is a better solution.   

I do feel obligated to refute an often-repeated bit of misinformation:

The advancing wing goes faster, lifts more;  retreating wing slower, lifts less -> roll;

There is a real phenomenon here, and it's a big deal for control line airplanes.  It's rolling moment due to sideslip.  You can do a search on it here and find some useful stuff.  The advancing-wing-going-faster phenomenon is real, too.  It's called rolling moment due to yaw rate, and it's puny by comparison.  Misattributing  the  effect of sideslip to yaw rate can keep people from doing what they need to do to fix it. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2012, 05:59:38 PM »
Dang, Lou, I clean forgot and ignored gyro precession effects.. There's our justification for front line UP, right?

One thing you mentioned estimating 5' or 10' radius loops - I'd suggest 15' is closer to worst (best?) case. I believe I calculated ~17' by watching videos of seemingly very good pattern flights: stepping frame by frame, assuming line length at the 70' maximum + 3' arm length, timing laps to guess average speeds, and counting video frames from level to vertical or vice versa as a "quarter loop period" {I know - that is crude 1/30 second = 33.3 ms resolution}. And there's a time lapse photo which I believe shows a similar result.

I'm confident you did a rigorous analysis, but did I miss it? Did you mention what you finally chose for your leadout spacing, in a typical case? Tell us! Hahah

The discussion of your analysis reminds us again how complex the real world is, and renews my own respect for serious analysis and simulation (particularly real time) work. It's obvious than cubic megaflops of computing power are needed for the real time stuff. And it again triggers me to renew my poo-pooing of fears of (digital) microprocessors pulling auto-pilot duties on CL Stunt models.

I remain very interested in logging acceleration, RPM, temperature, control deflections, voltage and current, etc. relevant data for trend and other fuzzy post flight analysis. Maybe we can come up with some workable control laws for modulating motor RPM, or "families" of swags for setup of various common competitive stunter control configuration. Satisfaction of interest alone justifies it for me.

Good input, Lou, as always.

Best,

L.

"We especially need imagination in science. It is not all mathematics, nor all logic, but it is somewhat beauty and poetry." -Maria Mitchell

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2012, 06:11:07 PM »
I remain very interested in logging acceleration, RPM, temperature, control deflections, voltage and current, etc. relevant data for trend and other fuzzy post flight analysis.

Me, too, but I'm not making much progress.  I got me a little data logger, but it has me confused.  My first priority is to get an airplane flying to make measurements on, so it might be awhile before I do any measuring.  What's a good way to measure control deflection?  I ask because I've got one of Igor's sliders installed, but not hooked up, on my flap control horn.  I figure I need to see how much the flaps move before I decide where to put the nonlinearity. I want to do it with minimal iterations, because I have to make some holes in the airplane each time.  
The Jive Combat Team

Offline PJ Rowland

• AUS - 29541 AMA - 809970
  • Admiral
  • Melbourne - AUSTRALIA
« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2012, 06:30:20 PM »
Howard : If you want to get REALLY accurate.

This is how I did it..

We installed a very tiny camera onto the wing facing toward the fuselage rear . On the fuse where the Flap meets the root, we had a small ( looked like a protractor ) and we could see the control deflection in flight.

You would be amazed at how LITTLE we actually and for very minute time frames. I never saw anymore than 5 degree's of inflight deflection. - I was astounded.... ???
If you always put limit on everything you do, physical or anything else. It will spread into your work and into your life. There are no limits. There are only plateaus, and you must not stay there, you must go beyond them.” - Bruce Lee.

I Yearn for a world where chickens can cross the road without having their motives questioned.

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2012, 07:41:48 PM »
Howard,

You could measure deflection of any: elevator, flap, or bellcrank. I would pick the latter and use an inexpensive 50K (nominal) potentiometer, with the bellcrank mounted on its (say 1/4" diameter) shaft. Monitor its wiper voltage with an A/D input commonly provided on the little PIC microcontrollers.

Another {digital} approach might use a small optical encoder with quadrature outputs. You can typically measure 1 degree or more of shaft deflection, and electronically (with a handful of gates) double or quadruple that. A microcontroller can easily monitor two quadrature bits to decode and drive an up/down position counter.

I'm no mechanical engineer (obvious!) but the bellcrank seems a prime location for a transducer - physically close to CG, battery pack, and likely your little microcontroller board; shorter wires, etc. The root area of the wing is thick, with space for a pot or shaft decoder. Years ago I considered developing a "one-chip" data acquisition/programmable mapping ROM lookup table/data RAM/servo drivers/laptop interface Altera FPGA chip. I found a miniature quadrature output shaft encoder device which looked ideal, but wasn't cheap (say >$75). Now I can't seem to find where I saved specifics, but commercial devices exist.

Likely the best alternative to a custom device is a PIC controller chip.

L.

"My milkshake brings all the boys to the yard,
And they're like
It's better than yours,
Dam_n right it's better than yours,
I can teach you,
But I have to charge.." -Kelis, Milkshake lyrics

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: February 16, 2012, 09:43:57 AM »
Charles,
one of the most basic presumptions of CL stunt is that you are constantly trimming, adjusting, to improve your planes performance. In the lifespan of my Avenger ( aproaching 100 flights or more at this point) I have adjusted my leadouts probably a dozen times as I fidget with other trim items. they all interact. If I am experimenting, I may move them 1/4" , but If I am trying to hone in on something, I have moved them less than 1/8".
I cannot always tell definitevly that I have affected what I wanted. Typically I will move a large amount to see the change ( 3/16" ) and then back off the change if needed. The leadouts typically move any time you adjust the CG for one example.
Brett Buck is one of the masters at trimming and he has a far better method than I do. In fact a search on here should net his "trim chart" which is a flow chart that outlines the process for trimming, and a very logical progression. I dont know the full history, I think perhaps that Brett and Paul Walker collaborated, or modified each others aproach? it was before my time,,,,,
For years the rat race had me going around in circles, Now I do it for fun!
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #17 on: February 16, 2012, 02:08:23 PM »
I really appreciate all the input here, guys.  Starting with Paul's Impact article I put to use the bench trimming and flow chart.  I do understand (basically) which change does what.

BUT!  I will admit to doing fairly rudimentary trimming.  CG and line tension plus wings high/low.  Not much more past that.  CG is rarely a big problem as I really work during construction and finishing to keep it about where it is called out on the plans, etc..  Some mnir weight here and there will occur from time to time.  Elevator bias seems to be a major trim change sometimes, but I feel that is more for my personal "feel".

Anyway, further discussion will be appreciated!

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: February 16, 2012, 02:17:10 PM »
To : Howard's #12 and Larry's #13 -

Thanks for adding things learned since!

I may have to dig back into the relevant threads to get a clearer view of the sideslip action...

Please keep in mind I first played with these things in the mid-1970's, when few people applied the full-scale aerodynamic,  and even space-age, technologies as we do today for our toy airplanes. I just used the theoretical g that would be needed IF we flew a 5' radius. Bill Netzeband eventually wound up agreeing with the 17 to 20 g some have observed. He admitted he wasted a lot of effort trying to achieve that 5' radius...

The formulas I used were very basic - Lift, Induced Drag, CF, etc., etc. And, no, Larry there is no universal magic number for line rake or leadout separation... I suspect you knew that  >:D

Each model's dimensions, including CG location, were used. I even came up with a solution for the theoretical panel length difference. Approached this way:

All forces applied to the model in flight have lines of action. If a force's line of action does not pass through that hypothetical point, the CG, it forms a torque tending to rotate the model until the force does pass through the CG.

The aerodynamic performance across the wingspan is affected by the gradually increasing velocity from the inboard tip to the outboard tip. Lift, in other words, is not centered at the physical mid-point of the span.

The CG is usually within the fuselage, spanwise, or very nearly so when the model is neither connected to the lines nor moving in its basic circular orbit at flight speed. Differing lift between the physical half-spans means that its theoretical center point is somewhat outboard.

That's where it seems sensible to hang the fuselage, AT the dynamic mid-point of the wing's lift in flight. The weight of the fuselage, engine and empennage, ahem... would not be off center, causing a torque trying (unsuccessfully) to roll the model until it lines up.

This involves the shift of lift AND tip weight... Simplest starting point to find the needed tipweight is to balance half the weight of the flying lines. Trim to perfection from there; you'll have enough for a safe first flight. The idea is that in the neutral condition, low, level, steady flight, the flier carries half the lines' weight and the model carries the other half.

The shift of lift, in a simplified reduction, should be close to the (ready?) cube root of the average of the cubes of the dynamic radii. Lift's dynamic radius? The actual radius to the point lift is equal to  the inside and to the outside as the model flies in that neutral condition. It includes some of the length of the flier's arm, of the line connector overhang, the eye-to-eye line length, the distance from the connectors at the inboard wingtip and the span to the outboard tip.

Would an example help?

Arm: 24" from center of rotation to handle
Handle Overhang: from 2" to however long the cable is to the flying line connectors. We'll use 6".
Flying lines: 60' (720")
Wing leadouts to "last airfoiled rib": say another 6"
Span: 48"

So, we have the inboard tip term: (24+6+720+6) and outboard tip term(24+6+720+6+48).

Cube each and average them.

Find the cube root of the average.

Subtract that from the outboard tip term to get the dynamic spanwise lift center location measured from that tip, or subtract the inboard tip term from the dynamic spanwise lift center. Either way finds the intended location.  

So, these two factors try to reduce a 'mass' imbalance due to tip weight, and to try to place the fuselage and assorted bits ON the center of the wing's lift in flight.

Line pull is one of the major forces on the model, and it provides a large stabilizing factor. Somewhere in the neighborhood of 3g is a generally acceptable SWAG. For a 4 lb model, that's 12 lbs. The various shifts from perfectly aligned trim due to maneuvering are immediately countered by the way they tend to aim pull force away from the CG. ...creates a restoring torque  ...trim is quickly restored. Is even takeoff thrust as much as 12 lbs?

Now, let's see what word was posted while I was typing...
« Last Edit: February 16, 2012, 02:36:36 PM by L0U CRANE »
\BEST\LOU

Offline Tim Wescott

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2012, 02:42:44 PM »
Me, too, but I'm not making much progress.  I got me a little data logger, but it has me confused.  My first priority is to get an airplane flying to make measurements on, so it might be awhile before I do any measuring.  What's a good way to measure control deflection?  I ask because I've got one of Igor's sliders installed, but not hooked up, on my flap control horn.  I figure I need to see how much the flaps move before I decide where to put the nonlinearity. I want to do it with minimal iterations, because I have to make some holes in the airplane each time.  
If the level of friction doesn't leave you unhappy, get an RC servo and gut as much of it as you can while keeping the output shaft in place and "talking" to the feedback pot.  On most of them you will be left with the output shaft, the pot, the case, and a whole bunch of empty space.  Then connect the pot to your data logger (I'm assuming that your data logger makes ground and excitation voltage available), and connect the servo to the bellcrank with a suitable output arm and bit of music wire.

Fancy ball bearing RC servos probably have lots less friction than the el-cheapo ones that I have.
AMA 64232

The problem with electric is that once you get the smoke generator and sound system installed, the plane is too heavy.

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2012, 03:43:08 PM »
I hadn't thought of that.  I was stuck on having to attach something to the bellcrank or flap control horn.  Thanks, Tim.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: February 16, 2012, 06:09:50 PM »
The shift of lift, in a simplified reduction, should be close to the (ready?) cube root of the average of the cubes of the dynamic radii. Lift's dynamic radius? The actual radius to the point lift is equal to  the inside and to the outside as the model flies in that neutral condition. It includes some of the length of the flier's arm, of the line connector overhang, the eye-to-eye line length, the distance from the connectors at the inboard wingtip and the span to the outboard tip.

How do you figure that?  It looks like you are assuming that lift is proportional to distance from the center of the circle squared: a rectangular wing with constant lift coefficient.  If so, I get radius for the sideways lift center = .75(Rr^4-Rl^4)/(Rr^3-Rl^3), where Rr is the distance from the center of the circle of the right tip Rl is the distance from the center of the circle of the left tip.  Then I did a trapezoidal integration of the moments every .01 foot using Excel, which is how I usually do it, because it's easy and works for oddball wing shapes and Cl distributions.  For a left tip 67.5 ft from the circle center and right tip 72.5 ft from the circle center, I got .714" right of airplane centerline using both those methods.  Your cube average thing says it's 1.07" right of airplane centerline. 

Brett has proven to me that he can tell within .017" of where the lateral CG location should be just by watching an airplane fly.  To wit, he can tell if your tip weight is off by one gram. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #22 on: February 16, 2012, 06:26:24 PM »
No fair coming up with some clever means of using an inexpensive RC item in the service of CL Stunt.. ;->

There may be only 3 or 4 blood vessels to my brain which are not blocked by bacon grease.

L.

"Procrastination is the art of keeping up with yesterday." -Don Marquis

Offline L0U CRANE

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2012, 01:19:40 PM »
Howard, to your #24...

Thanks! Really. When I started college, they didn't even teach matrix math. First saw it in a refresher skim course I took about 15 years later.

As I recall it, I was trying to include the first order area term, as well as the velocity-squared term, as used in the basic lift equation. The areas swept inboard of and outboard of the 'sideways lift center' over the course of a lap seemed to differ. It is further around at the greater radius, no? ...in the same time, no?

I welcome corrections that I did not have the math to do, then - or now actually. Most of the results I got with the cubes averaged^1/3  found the 'sideways lift center' shift smaller than your example. The 'center' related to the structural span mid-point is half the panel span difference, right?

In any event, I began by emphasizing that the approach was coarse and crude, but worked well for my humble talents. Refinements from the Rocket Scientist faction are always welcome.

I also did not try to account for planform variations, as most stunters back then were modestly tapered.

With the many other variables present in our low altitude circular flight, I was glad to have something that might be consistent with a +/- 10% "accuracy."
\BEST\LOU

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2012, 04:17:38 PM »
Wow............. now I am going to have to do some serious reading and study to catch up in this conversation I started........... LL~ LL~ LL~

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #25 on: February 19, 2012, 08:38:22 AM »
I generally use cable leadouts.  I have gone to buying nylon coated fishing leader cable.  I figure 80 pound test leader is OK for a 40 size stunter.  Leaders are available in a number of strengths, and tubes of the right size for crimping as well. 

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #26 on: February 19, 2012, 11:17:50 AM »
I also like the nylon coated fishing leader. It was my belief that .027" was the diameter of {uncoated} braided wire leadouts.

Some swear by solid leadouts, but I've never liked them. They rattle, and they're a pain to terminate. One sharp bend and they're ruined. I see no significant benefit to them (feel free to englighten me).

Just sayin'.. ;->

L.

"Ability is a poor man's wealth." -M. Wren

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: February 19, 2012, 02:58:51 PM »
Nylon coated cable can snag on brass eyelets, as His Excellency the PAMPA President can attest.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #28 on: February 19, 2012, 03:18:10 PM »
Howard that's why my leadout guides have both ends flared..

(I experienced the same problem once - and uncoated braided wire can also catch. I suppose this is one obvious advantage to using solid leadout wires, isn't it?)

L.

PS - A small round punch can be used to flare brass tubing.

"You are the weakest link. Goodbye." -Anne Robinson

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2012, 03:41:05 PM »
Is there a standard thickness for leadouts?

Why solid leadouts? I've never used solid leadouts?

Pros vs. Cons?

Charles

Solid wire lead outs are very easy to install (simply thread them through the ribs in one go), very easy to terminate (just bend up a loop or diamond  shape) and it is more than possible to form those ends as integral line clips when using smaller models and have no need for any reinforcing 'eyelet' or tubes at either of their ends.

The down sides are the annoying rattle they produce in the back of the car on the way to the field, and the chance that their straight run can get kinked at the wing tip if the model is kicked or rested on that tip by accident but that can happen with cable lead outs also.

So, if used with care there is no valid reason to disqualify their use in any model and it seems to me that their lack of a 'cool factor' on stunters may be their down fall rather than any lack of functionality.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2012, 03:47:58 PM »
.. and I forgot to mention, the solid leadouts lack coolness ;->

L.

"If life was fair, Elvis would be alive and all the impersonators would be dead." -Johnny Carson

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: February 19, 2012, 04:38:34 PM »
I think that people who use solid leadouts do so because the rattle reminds them of good times from their youth.  For me, it's the rattle of combat plane pushrods not yet attached to control horns.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #32 on: February 19, 2012, 05:18:46 PM »
Just extending on the use of wire in models, it seems that years ago the humble piece of wire was an incredibly useful piece of material to have for model aircraft.

One could fashion undercarriages, push rods, lead outs AND their guides, bell crank pivots, tail wheel skids and their stooge attachment points, and flap horns in any form dreamt possible.

But these days just about all of the above can be substituted for a more fashionable and less labour intensive item.

But does the more modern equivalent work any better? Probably ...... but not by much though.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: February 20, 2012, 12:17:22 AM »
... less labour intensive item.

Not the way I do it!
The Jive Combat Team

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2012, 06:26:53 AM »
I had a solid leadout break about 20 years ago ~^. I had solids in a 46 powered stunt plane and one got damages at the leadout and I didn't trust it so I changed it. A week later at a contest at Atlanta that leadout broke 12" from the bellcrank. I found that the wire was made with a defect. It was very thin at the spot were it broke. I check all solid wire now before using it. I still use solids on a few planes.
Here is the plane the leadout broke in,I called Nostromo. It had Flap Fences and they helped in the wind.Nostromo was the space ship in the movie Alian. Everone said this plane looked a little strange S?P
Ed
Locust NC 40 miles from the Huntersville field

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2012, 04:30:10 PM »
I found that the wire was made with a defect.

Hi Ed,
            I take it that the faulty wire was not true music wire?

That stuff has a very high standard of manufacture with no inclusions in the material (and when was the last time anyone heard of a piano string breaking?)

Anyway, I think that Nostromo looks just fine as it is.

Cheers.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2012, 04:39:26 PM »
The flap fences are intriguing to me. What do they do to improve flying in the wind? Do they turbulate?

They LOOK cool. ;->

L.

"Injustice is relatively easy to bear; what stings is Justice." -H. L. Mencken

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2012, 05:16:37 PM »
Chris 
 The wire was the same music wire that I used for years. The problem was not unique at that time. I believe Windy had it happen also. Windy was at that contest and he let me use one of his backup planes.
Larry
   The plane was balsa covered foam wing. I had noticed how many of the foam wing planes did a side slip in the wing over and coming into the wind. I tried the fences and the plane was better through the corners. I added them after I had flown the plane a few dozen times. I have had them on two of my Juno's with the fat flaps. It seems to work best with flaps that do not go all the way to the wingtip.
Ed

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2012, 05:38:49 PM »
Chris  
 The wire was the same music wire that I used for years. The problem was not unique at that time. I believe Windy had it happen also. Windy was at that contest and he let me use one of his backup planes.

Ed

Hi Ed,
          would that brand of wire by any chance be K+S?
Talk to any supplier of real music wire for pianos they will soon tell you that there is an absolute world of difference between real music wire and hobby store spring steel.

Pages from site says it all -

http://books.google.com.au/books?id=7dODrrDI1kEC&pg=PA122&lpg=PA122&dq=piano+wire+inclusions&source=bl&ots=5Ll4rV9Itv&sig=JpdLYAwus5wV14hgjubm64cVuYQ&hl=en&sa=X&ei=rTlET_v7M4-YiAe819yyAw&ved=0CD0Q6AEwAg#v=onepage&q=piano%20wire%20inclusions&f=false
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2012, 07:31:09 PM »
Do they turbulate?

Maybe if the wing were going in the other direction.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2012, 08:21:30 PM »
Is 'turbulate' even a real word?

Spell check pings it, as does Google.

Fence technology on wings attempts to arrest span wise airflow much the same as a baffle on a piston top tries to arrest flow across it.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2012, 09:23:36 PM »
I presume that "turbulate" would make flow turbulent when it wasn't before. Flow oughta be turbulent by the time it gets to the flaps.  From what I've seen, transition is at about 20% chord when the flaps are deflected. 

Fence technology on wings attempts to arrest span wise airflow much the same as a baffle on a piston top tries to arrest flow across it.

Sounds like the people who installed the fences gave them the wrong instructions.  I think the airflow would resist arrest, but may take a tumble.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2012, 09:53:34 PM »
Chris     The plane was built over 25 years ago so I have no clue what type of wire was used. I had two piano tuner friends who gave me wire but more than likely it was hobby store wire.
Ed

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #43 on: February 22, 2012, 09:18:53 AM »
Is 'turbulate' even a real word?

Spell check pings it, as does Google.

Try googling 'turbulator'..

L.

"Charms strike the sight, but merit wins the soul." -Alexander Pope

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #44 on: February 22, 2012, 04:30:30 PM »
Sounds like the people who installed the fences gave them the wrong instructions.  I think the airflow would resist arrest, but may take a tumble.

Straight from Wikipedia -
"They obstruct span-wise airflow along the wing, and prevent the entire wing from stalling at once."

And they are commonly called 'stall fences' in the trade.

Of course the flow is going to resist that arrest so where are the 'wrong instructions?'

I am perplexed.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #45 on: February 22, 2012, 06:29:35 PM »
You anthropomorphized the fences, saying they attempted an arrest.    They are (or were) used on swept wings.  I'm not an authority on the subject, but I suspect that, although they look like they'd directly stop spanwise flow,  the main effect of such a doodad is to generate a vortex that brings faster air above the wing down next to the wing to keep the flow attached better at high angle of attack than if the doodad weren't there.  They are used to keep ailerons working at high angles of attack and to keep the wing from pitching up at high angles of attack.  Real or vestigial engine pylons below and in front of the leading edge or vortex generators on the upper surface of the wing may be better ways to do this.  Now you got me curious as to why those fences went out of fashion (if they did).  I'll try to research it. 
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #46 on: February 26, 2012, 02:55:06 PM »

So I guess my question would be, "Has anyone ever placed leadouts ahead of the CG?

Thanks,

I think that racing and speed models may do this, as well as slight in thrust but flying at the speed of death requires very little help with line tension.
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #47 on: February 26, 2012, 03:23:20 PM »
Best idea: fly it and try it. Creep up slowly and see what happens.

Every model airplane is different and requires specific trim to be optimum.

L.

"If he were to give you directions, you would never get lost. And you'd arrive at least 5 minutes early." -He is the Most Interesting Man in the World

Offline Jim Thomerson

• Admiral
« Reply #48 on: February 26, 2012, 03:54:03 PM »
On my Humongous, built from Ted Snow's quarter scale pencil drawings, had some rudder offset, enough that the leadouts ended up slightly ahead of the CG.  In a high wind, coming around into the wind, the line drag would be enough that it yawed in and had very little tension. I thought it kind of interesting.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #49 on: February 26, 2012, 08:12:10 PM »
Well the technical info quickly flew over my head, but I am still wondering what, if any advantage the split LO guide would offer.  Having the LO's close together is already something I do.......

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Chris Wilson

• Admiral
« Reply #50 on: February 26, 2012, 08:47:06 PM »
Well the technical info quickly flew over my head, but I am still wondering what, if any advantage the split LO guide would offer.  Having the LO's close together is already something I do.......

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM

Hi Bill,
        two things come quickly to mind mate, one, if the locking bolt mechanism is outboard of the individual guides then you could narrow the gap between them to almost whatever you like, and two, perhaps one bolt per guide is a bit of a fail safe.

One could let go and allow slippage whilst the other is still holding tight, that sounds 50% better than the whole guide system sliding to and fro in the advent of failure!
MAAA AUS 73427

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #51 on: February 26, 2012, 11:24:50 PM »
Hi Bill,
        two things come quickly to mind mate, one, if the locking bolt mechanism is outboard of the individual guides then you could narrow the gap between them to almost whatever you like, and two, perhaps one bolt per guide is a bit of a fail safe.

One could let go and allow slippage whilst the other is still holding tight, that sounds 50% better than the whole guide system sliding to and fro in the advent of failure!

Hi Chris,

I put up a practice flight at Huntersville one year and found out after the flight that the bolt had come out of the slider and they would just move end to end in the slot!  It felt funny at times during the flight, but definitely not unflyable......... ???

Bill
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2012, 01:03:54 AM »
Well the technical info quickly flew over my head, but I am still wondering what, if any advantage the split LO guide would offer.  Having the LO's close together is already something I do.......

I think you can ignore all of the technical stuff above and not miss anything helpful for this question.  Brett posted something useful, and I was hoping that Randy Powell or Paul Walker would write in.  They were fiddling with leadout spacing to fix a problem Randy had.  I forget what it was.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline louie klein

• Commander
« Reply #53 on: February 27, 2012, 06:22:47 AM »
For me it's part of the crafting experience and the addition of the learning curve we all go through. I don't feel it takes that much more time to do if all is prept from the begining. As I was tought by this hobbies influence is always try to make the next plane better than the last with some kind of improvement that you learned or want to try. IMO. Good luck!---LOUIE  H^^ D>K

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #54 on: February 27, 2012, 09:03:42 AM »
I remember Randy talking about moving one leadout to address a specific issue on one manuever, perhaps the hourglass? but that's about what I recall, not much help,,

HEY RANDY
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline EddyR

• Admiral
« Reply #55 on: February 27, 2012, 10:56:43 AM »
The fences on my plane in the picture above run from front to back on the flaps. They made the plane cleaner in tight corners in the wind. They seemed to hold the air on the flap. These flaps were very stiff and did not bend or flex at all. I noticed I/beam planes flew cleaner,smoother,than foam wing planes. That was the thinking behind the ribs on the flaps. It was one of those things that gets tried but never followed through to prove it was of any gain. mw~
Ed

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #56 on: February 27, 2012, 06:29:04 PM »
..much longer than you'll ever need  <=

L.

"2 is not equal to 3 - not even for very large values of 2." -Grabel's Law

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #57 on: March 02, 2012, 11:27:07 AM »
Charles,

I really couldn't say. All I intend to suggest is that you have plenty, and when it comes down to
your actual useful range, you will find that it's a fairly short adjustment area. No harm in what
you're doing, it's likely wise until you find where your particular model trims in.

Trimming and experimenting will reveal what you seek. Once you determine it, you'll be
able to generalize for that design, in a meaningful way.

I strongly believe in providing options, this is an example of a feature that doesn't really
cost anything.

Good luck in your venture.

L.

"Life is a progress, and not a station." -Ralph Waldo Emerson

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #58 on: March 02, 2012, 11:30:57 AM »
Charles, how do you propose to adjust it? I dont think you can get a ball driver through that slot to make any adjustments. Mine are usually closer to 1/8" wide. ( vertically) and depending upon how far back into the tip the adjustor is, you may end up wearing the sides of a narrow slot with the leadouts.
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #59 on: March 02, 2012, 12:21:29 PM »
Charles, how do you propose to adjust it? I dont think you can get a ball driver through that slot to make any adjustments. Mine are usually closer to 1/8" wide. ( vertically) and depending upon how far back into the tip the adjustor is, you may end up wearing the sides of a narrow slot with the leadouts.

It does look a bit narrow, 1/8" is a practical finished slot height. Problem is, a thin wing tip piece doesn't
provide a lot of room for a wider slot. Also, it is useful to laminate 1/64" plywood strips to upper and lower
slot surfaces to make it durable. This adds another 1/32" to the needed slot height in the balsa, making it 5/32".

I'll attach a couple of snapshots from my 2007 Laser Continental kit AutoCAD design for Bill Sawyer,
which illustrates an approach to a laminated tip. That model used 1/32" plywood on the slot upper and lower
surfaces, but 1/64" would be my choice.  (1/32" plywood was used in the kit because it was available on other
part sheets.)

L.

"I have the heart of a little boy:  in a jar of formaldehyde on my desk." -Robert Bloch

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #60 on: March 02, 2012, 03:37:55 PM »
Larry,

Thanks for the reply.

OK, that's good news.

What measurement will I need? Forward of the CG and aft? Half inch forward and an inch back?

Charles

HI Charles,

Since we do not really have a clue yet as to where you will be starting out with the LOs, it's hard to say how much is a minimal distance to add to both sides. 

How do they adjust?  I cannot see a way to get a tool of any source in there to adjust the guide.  A general guideline is 1/8" to 3/16" opening for the slot.  Always remember the KISS principle especially for things that are simple.

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #61 on: March 03, 2012, 12:38:08 PM »
Sounds interesting. I'd like to see a shot of and/or details of your adjustment device. Did you
show that in the earlier thread? Can you direct me to the earlier thread?

I'm always interested in this sort of thing.

Thanks,

L.

PS - almost forgot - one trick to make your slot more durable, short of adding laminates, is to saturate the balsa
surfaces with thin CA to harden them, and use an emery board nail file to smooth the slot out.

"He was pulled over for speeding, but he let the officer go with just a warning.." - said of The Most Interesting Man In The World

Offline Mark Scarborough

• Admiral
« Reply #62 on: March 03, 2012, 01:06:08 PM »
Mark, Bill,

That "slit" is all I need! I'll probably line each side with thin brass or aluminum sheet. Keep the lines a bit snug plus to keep the lines from wearing down the balsa.

I'm not using the traditional adjustable leadout device which is available, as I mentioned above. I said I may not use it.

I've designed a different one, as I mentioned in a Thread, way back, when I first saw what was available.

I'll have to see if it works correctly once installed.

Charles
Charles, remember every gram is significant, 1/32 ply is a lot lighter than aluminum or brass, and it will not fray the leadouts either. You do not want the leadouts to touch the sides of the slot. it will cause problems with in flight control. remember, there is no self centering servo on this, its only line tension and  your deft touch that centers the controls. I typically encourage innovation, but there is also a time to look at what has been done and think about WHY its done the way it is now. often times there is a very good reason.. but then who knows you may come up with the next great mousetrap...
EXILED IN PULLMAN WA
AMA 842137

Offline Howard Rush

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #63 on: March 03, 2012, 05:31:11 PM »
That "slit" is all I need!

Reminds me of some blues song.
The Jive Combat Team

Offline Larry Cunningham

• Red Hot Lover
  • Captain
    • Stephanie Miller
« Reply #64 on: March 15, 2012, 08:47:44 PM »
Howard, as you no doubt know but are chosing to ignore, many of the more advanced religions on this planet recognize the living status of ALL things, even those you think of as simple material bits. This is why if you curse a stunter, it will typically respond by being a worthless POC. Meanwhile, a beloved model, even if it has a canted stab/elevator, and other aerodynamics which are crookeder than the proverbial dog's leg, it often returns the affection, making itself a beloved creature.

I want you to back down off all this negative crap, my friend. Model airplanes are PEOPLE TOO!

L.

'I had an uncle who was a leper - he only did the  "pull my finger - fart joke" 10 times' -Steven Wright

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #65 on: March 21, 2012, 11:32:49 AM »
Hi Charles,

How are you securing the setting with your adjustable lead out?  There has to be some way to adjust and then secure........

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

Trying to get by

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here