News:

• April 27, 2024, 09:47:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: A Rudder isn't necessary for a Control Line plane.  (Read 1529 times)

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
A Rudder isn't necessary for a Control Line plane.
« on: December 14, 2023, 02:50:32 PM »
While maybe not the greatest lie ever told...

Real planes have rudders, but they don't fly in constant yaw. 

My evidence:
Saw friend flying a non-flapped kick-about CL plane.  I don't remember the exact plane, something like a Flying Clown.   A flip over on landing knocked the rudder off.  "That's OK, control line planes don't need a rudder anyway", was the sentence uttered.  The flight sans rudder was quite chaotic and lasted only a couple of laps.  It was flying fine before that.  The crash left it needing more than a rudder reattached.  So, I kind of concluded they were a good idea.

I had a Super Ringmaster that eventually lost the outboard wing.  Performance was diminished, but it still flew and did loops.  The inboard wing flew "a bit high", and it didn't like hard control inputs.  So, I do understand that flying without appendages can be done.  But it looked dumb and flew better with a wing.

So, with consideration of concepts like Center of Pressure, Weathervane, lead-out rake, Hinging, and such...

- Do control line planes need a rudder?

- How much rudder offset is right?  (Just use what the instructions says?)

- How do you know if you have too much or too little rudder/offset?

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
Re: A Rudder isn't necessary for a Control Line plane.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2023, 03:44:05 PM »
While maybe not the greatest lie ever told...

Real planes have rudders, but they don't fly in constant yaw. 

My evidence:
Saw friend flying a non-flapped kick-about CL plane.  I don't remember the exact plane, something like a Flying Clown.   A flip over on landing knocked the rudder off.  "That's OK, control line planes don't need a rudder anyway", was the sentence uttered.  The flight sans rudder was quite chaotic and lasted only a couple of laps.  It was flying fine before that.  The crash left it needing more than a rudder reattached.  So, I kind of concluded they were a good idea.

I had a Super Ringmaster that eventually lost the outboard wing.  Performance was diminished, but it still flew and did loops.  The inboard wing flew "a bit high", and it didn't like hard control inputs.  So, I do understand that flying without appendages can be done.  But it looked dumb and flew better with a wing.

So, with consideration of concepts like Center of Pressure, Weathervane, lead-out rake, Hinging, and such...

- Do control line planes need a rudder?

- How much rudder offset is right?  (Just use what the instructions says?)

- How do you know if you have too much or too little rudder/offset?

In my opinion, In general, what it needs it to be at least neutrally stable in yaw without counting on the lines. Whether you need a fin/rudder to achieve that depends mostly on how much lateral surface area you have in front of and behind the CG - say a big deep forward fuselage and a stick to hold the stab/elevator, then it will probably be unstable and require a fin/rudder. Short skinny nose and a big turtledeck fuselage is probably stable without a fin/rudder.

More subtle effects matter too, like how much yaw the prop induces, more stable and the more power/prop diameter you can handle without excessive yaw motion.

In general, you don't need rudder offset, and airfoiled fin, or anything like that.  You do not want the airplane to want to crab sideways, limited only by the lines pulling it back straight. I think what you want is to fly tangent to the circle, and have as little yaw motion induced in the corners as possible.

How much offset is the right amount is best determined by test flying, start out with it at zero offset, or at least just enough to make sure it is not nosing you inboard. Set the leadouts where they would naturally fall either by using the LINEII or LINEIII computer program, or using various rules of thumb. Then fly it and adjust the offset until you get the minimal yaw motion in the corners. That will line up the leadout position and rudder offset to be consistent with each other, and if the leadouts are in the right place, you will be flying nominally tangent to the circle.

Too much/too little rudder offset (for your leadout position) will cause the airplane to yaw as you enter corners, and generally, yaw the same way on both insides and outsides. Too much inboard might cause it to come loose and chase you, or get abnormally light on the lines.

Most kit plans show large amounts of rudder offset. This seems to be to compensate for too-far-forward fixed leadouts and/or cover the possibility that the airplane is not straight, or just to add additional line tension, at the cost of cornering smoothly.

Brett

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2023, 07:56:16 PM »
Too much/too little rudder offset (for your leadout position) will cause the airplane to yaw as you enter corners, and generally, yaw the same way on both insides and outsides. Too much inboard might cause it to come loose and chase you, or get abnormally light on the lines.
This is the main reason I use the "cam" rudder.  Whether it is up or down I get an extra 1/8" outboard movement at the TE of the rudder in all corners.  I fly with a slightly forward leadout position and just as the line whip starts to yaw the plane in, the cam kicks in and yaws it out so what happens is it stays straight.  I get no rudder at all for the first 5 degrees of elevator, so it doesn't mess with the rounds and eights like the Rabe does.  It is most noticeable in the 2nd corners of the triangles and hourglass where you have a natural loss of tension.  A well fed active timer can do the same thing.  I like having both.

Ken
AMA 15382
If it is not broke you are not trying hard enough.
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2023, 11:29:21 AM »
A rudder might not be needed, but a tail fin helps.

I always include a tail fin in my designs to equalize the side area of the front of the fuselage, even it the rules do not require it. 
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 15, 2023, 11:41:35 AM »
Years and years ago the late Bob Palmer wrote an article about control line planes for stunt and combat.  He stated it depended on the design if a rudder was needed or not.  Can't remember the plane but he stated  the plane was doing an acceptable pattern.  But on a flight he got too low inverted and knocked the rudder off.  Any way the plane still flew the pattern with little effort.   He also stated that one plane he plew would make you work your tail off to do the pattern with out the rudder.  Main thing was that no rudder wit left turn would never work.  This was way before Al Rabe came up with the movable rudder.  I my self have set rudders straight or a degree or two off set to out side of circle.  I do know too much rudder is worse than no rudder. D>K
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: December 15, 2023, 03:00:44 PM »
Rudder? RUDDER? I don't need no stinkin' rudder!

Bob Hunt

Offline Steve Thompson

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2023, 12:39:09 AM »
Thank you all for the excellent information.

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: December 16, 2023, 08:31:02 AM »
Rudders are a steering device.  Many of what we call rudders are actually vertical stabilizers which, in tethered flight serve no real purpose other than balancing side area aft of the CG, esthetics or giving you a place to mount a rudder. Yaw is controlled by other means. A VS produces drag which has become an issue we never paid much attention to before because we didn't have a battery constantly reminding us.  Aside from side area, the only thing a rudder can do is counter yaw and add drag.  We tend to use it to cover up not selecting the right lines, leadouts, CG and all the other trim items that cause loss of line tension and for most of those, engine offset is more effective.  A lot of yaw issues are isolated.  If we use rudder to fix an isolated issue, then what do we do for the rest of the pattern to unfix it?  Other than the Cam, I don't have an answer for that one.  Bob did, he designed a plane that didn't have one, so it was not there to let him cheat on the trim although, I doubt that was the reason he tried it. 

I am a product of the 60's and I can tell you unequivocally that no matter what the trim issue was there were only two fixes, add nose weight and more rudder offset.  Life was good.  LL~

ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Colin McRae

• Captain
  • Are we having fun yet??
« Reply #8 on: December 16, 2023, 11:40:38 AM »
My first build a couple of years ago was a Brodak Shark 402 stunt trainer. OS 25LA powered. Being a rookie builder and not knowing any better, per the Brodak plans, I put in rudder offset as well as used washers to produce a bit of engine offset. Since I was only able to do some basic beginner maneuvers, the model flew OK.

But over the past 2 years I have read a lot about this rudder offset topic, and that it is basically not needed, or can even hurt model flight performance. I also noticed that expert flying buddies had no rudder offset on their models.

So, I decided to redo the rudder on my Shark 402 and also remove the engine offset. I am a convert to the no rudder offset design or designing the model with an adjustable rudder. My Shark flies better than before, and still has plenty of pull.

My most recent build is a SIG Skyray 35 with no engine or rudder offset. (I did build it with an adjustable weight box and adjustable lead outs.) It is my best flying model to date.

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 16, 2023, 02:28:29 PM »
Rudders are a steering device.  Many of what we call rudders are actually vertical stabilizers which, in tethered flight serve no real purpose other than balancing side area aft of the CG, esthetics or giving you a place to mount a rudder. Yaw is controlled by other means.

I was mostly with you earlier, but a fin/rudder is *critical* to controlling yaw, fixed rudder and no offset notwithstanding. There are plenty of other disturbing forces in yaw that you have to deal with somehow, products of inertia and/or precession, not to mention the kinematics during corners - it's yawing with a angular momentum vector pointing vertically, you do a 90 degree corner, and it needs to be yawing with angular momentum pointing horizontally a 1/4 second later.

That means something has to apply a fair bit of torque to something, and ignoring any tricks you might want to try with products of inertia, the only thing you have working for you in the right direction is the fin/rudder trying to line it up with the direction of flight. Note that if you do nothing, and it was neutrally stable, the *lines* would have to straight it out for you, which guarantees that you are going to whip up the lines.

The yaw from this is relatively benign, but it also couples into roll, and affects the pitch response since it also causes the line tension to vary, altering your control gains.

I will grant that most of the differences people are concerned with at the earlier stages of skill primarily about having lots of rudder offset. That's where the "I knocked the fin off and it flew better!" stuff came from - because most airplanes of the early era had lots of offset and when you got rid of it, it flew better. But beyond that, you have to also deal with these other issues, which very strongly suggest you want some (or in my case, a lot) of yaw restoring force.

Brett

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2023, 04:58:38 PM »

There are plenty of other disturbing forces in yaw that you have to deal with somehow, products of inertia and/or precession, not to mention the kinematics during corners - it's yawing with a angular momentum vector pointing vertically, you do a 90 degree corner, and it needs to be yawing with angular momentum pointing horizontally a 1/4 second later.
I think we may be saying the same thing only your explanation is much better.  I basically ignored the roll aspect.   What I am reading into this is that, over simplified, "rudder good, offset bad".  Given otherwise good trim, offset seems to only aid if applied early in a corner and released as the plane resumes straight flight - basically stopping yaw before it starts instead of correcting for it after it happens.  This could be why the future may be with electric twins.  :!
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Brett Buck

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: December 17, 2023, 04:37:43 PM »
I had a much longer response that somehow got lost...

I think we may be saying the same thing only your explanation is much better.  I basically ignored the roll aspect.   What I am reading into this is that, over simplified, "rudder good, offset bad". 

Not really. Fin/rudder, aft side area, all impart "passive yaw stability" that opposes any torques that drive it off in yaw WRT the free stream, or, in the example, applies the torque necessary to reorient the angular momentum vector without solely relying on the lines (which would set off line whip). It also damps out any unexpected/unwanted motion.   I find a desired leadout location, then adjust the rudder around that, which, ultimately, gets me flying tangent to the circle with minimum reaction in the corners.

Of course, this is not the only way to go, it's just the best way I have found. I find gadgets like the Rabe Rudder (which is generally trying to/asserted to do approximately the 'right thing') to be far, far more prone to maladjustment and vary significantly from day to day. I note that Al and I had endless (and fun) arguments over this over the years, and his method for adjusting it absolutely did not yield the least amount of yaw motion, or hold the airplane tangent. Igor's use of a similar mechanism is much different than what Al claimed.

Brett

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: December 17, 2023, 10:50:28 PM »
Not really. Fin/rudder, aft side area, all impart "passive yaw stability" that opposes any torques that drive it off in yaw WRT the free stream, or, in the example, applies the torque necessary to reorient the angular momentum vector without solely relying on the lines (which would set off line whip). It also damps out any unexpected/unwanted motion.

I can relate to all of that.  I do not have the engineering background to properly explain what is happening, but I do understand the physics of it.  Most of what I have been commenting on is the original question is "A Rudder isn't necessary...".  I think what we are really discussing is whether a vertical stab(fin) is necessary.  I think it is for all of the reasons you stated.  I think the rudder is only necessary as a trim tool and it should be adjustable.  As I have stated numerous times, I use a derivative of Keith's CAM rudder.  I found very early that it was not as effective in controlling precession as I hoped but was very effective in controlling yaw.  I contribute that to the height and shape of my rudders.  Like Igor's most of my rudder area is below the thrust centerline.  Al's on the other hand had very tall rudders.  I have settled on a cam that gives me a small but rapid right rudder at control movements over about 5%.  It only deflects in corners and releases on exit.  Interestingly, it is more effective on the plane with the canard.  I attribute that to partially breaking up the prop vortex but that is pure speculation.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline fred cesquim

• Captain
    • Fred Cesquim Aeromodelos
« Reply #13 on: December 19, 2023, 04:56:29 AM »
Rudder? RUDDER? I don't need no stinkin' rudder!

Bob Hunt
this is the classic case when a picture worht a thousand words & theory. Just check the ammount of hardware the Genesis won with Bob Hunt 
maybe rudder-less is the way to go....
i donīt add rudder deflection to my models anymore

Offline Ty Marcucci

• 23 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #14 on: December 19, 2023, 12:38:07 PM »
Not rudder so much as side area, thus the Genesis,  I have built two of them.  The "rudder" on this jewel is the very end of the fuselage. Kinda sneaky H^^
Ty Marcucci

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 19, 2023, 01:26:01 PM »
Not rudder so much as side area, thus the Genesis,  I have built two of them. D>K
I am with you with the side area, even the Genesis has added side area via a long thin fin.  Interesting though, all of Bob's newer designs have rudders (really vertical stabs).  I wish I had the time to put huge "rudder" on a plane and whittle away at it till I found the sweet spot.  My Trifecta design has about 50sq in of "rudder", Endgame about 5. Both fly extremely well. Neither of them display any of the problems a rudder is supposed to cause or cure.  Both have -0- offset and both have CAM rudders.  The one with the larger "rudder" stays tight above 45 a bit better, but that could be due to a thousand other reasons.  I corrected that with the timer on the small rudder one.

Ken
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Offline Air Ministry .

• Admiral
« Reply #16 on: December 19, 2023, 08:48:09 PM »

NOW , in theory . . . .  VD~

Online Bob Hunt

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 20, 2023, 10:22:08 AM »
Okay, Ty caught me with the disguised side area thing. Attached is a photo of the Genesis LC, which has the disguised side area and a couple of small twin stab tip plates (otherwise known as twin rudders). This thing grooves like a freight train and turns amazingly well; due, I think,  to the lack of spanwise flow off the elevators. Yeah, I know, it's not a new thing...

Later - Bob

Online Ken Culbertson

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
AMA 15382
USAF 1968-1974 TAC

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here