News:

• May 02, 2024, 05:38:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: whitter in trouble  (Read 1184 times)

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
whitter in trouble
« on: November 30, 2009, 06:36:20 PM »
looks like we may be loosing whitter as a flying site. seems like some lighted socker fields will be built there according to the new construction plan.
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
Re: whitter in trouble
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2009, 12:09:05 AM »
Cool more soccer fields to replace a good flying site, just like mission bay HB~>. I guess the next thing will be a golf course. R%%%%

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2009, 05:14:30 PM »
Does that still leave the Basin Available?

Les

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2009, 10:08:27 PM »
That would be a real shame. I was at a contest at Whittier Narrows last month. It was a stunt contest but speed, racing, combat and tether cars were practicing on the other circles and the grass area. Sure, the basin has 3 circles but no tether car area and no fenced circle for speed. Sounds like all the model groups that utilize the Narrows need to get together and make some noise - it'll probably be as effective as it was at Miles Square but worth a try. Is there a time frame for this construction atrocity, I mean plan? HB~>
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 02, 2009, 05:33:38 AM »
i think the meeting is dec. 16 the car guy's are very actice in this matter.
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: December 02, 2009, 02:11:50 PM »
Damn game. I wish we'd never invented it.  ??? :'(
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2009, 05:28:31 PM »
Well we are losing our circle in Topeka KS to a childrens museum.  I was sent pictures of a construction shack sitting in the middle of the corcle.  I hope you guys can save your site.  In Kansas City KS we lost our lone circle to a lighted soccor field that is not even used anymore. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 02:14:43 PM »
Quote from: john e. holliday
In Kansas City KS we lost our lone circle to a lighted soccor field that is not even used anymore. 

Any chance of reclaiming it? Complete with lights of course!  y1
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Dwayne

« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2009, 04:10:41 AM »
Please tell me this isn't true it just can't be, I started back in the hobby there back in 86 and have so many good memories I attended my first combat competition there in 87 what a blast! The ywo gents that stick out the most are Russ Graves and Barry Baxter I showed up one day with a scratch built model based on the Lil' Satan and they took the time to launch me and teavh me how to fly combat Russ even offered to sell me one his old Combat Specials, at the first La. Money Nats I helped in their pits and had a great time it's becouse of them and the Narrows that I am still in this hobby and it would be like losing a good freind if this happens, is there anyway we can stop this?  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>  HB~>   HB~>  ''  ''  ''  ''  ''  ''

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #9 on: October 04, 2010, 08:48:05 AM »
This all happened some months ago;
The local clubs showed up to the meeting and explained some logistical problems, like parking, relocation area incompatibility, etc. Plus the munincipality doesn't have any money to change anything about the park, and won't for some time in this economy.
All is well, for now.
Chris...

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: October 04, 2010, 09:11:59 AM »
That is good news Chris.  Now keep the city, county and state broke so thay can't take it.  In reality losing our circle in Topeka is a blessing.  With the tireless efforts of Brenda and Melvin Schuette we have a new site with a flat paved circle and a grass circle with center pad.  No more turbulance over the trees like we used to have.  Chris has flown at the old Gage Park Circle.   They are in the process of moving the War memorial that is still at Gage. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: October 04, 2010, 12:44:38 PM »
Heard a couple of weeks ago that the US ARMY CORPS of ENGINEERS which administered the Whittier Narrows flood control site had lost control to the county since some wag used some sort of boat and floated the length of the San Gabriel river thus making it a navigable stream instead of just a flood runoff passageway.  Certainly shows the lengths that some will go to with single minded purposes.

Hope it doesn't bode ill for the flying site.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #12 on: October 05, 2010, 03:36:17 PM »
It looks like the only way to preserve the sport might be finding a way to buy your own land. Shrug. Yeah not cost effective but seems like the only way to prevent losing it.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 09:19:57 AM »
I see you've never had property condemed by city, county and state for just their purposes.  One guy I know wouldn't take the offer the city made him for his property.  After a court battle he lost he only got a small portion of what was offered.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline jim gilmore

• Admiral
« Reply #14 on: October 08, 2010, 01:25:48 PM »
And maybe Terry nickels was right...

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here