News:

• May 06, 2024, 06:51:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Whats the best way to launch speed plane?  (Read 984 times)

Offline kenneth cook

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Whats the best way to launch speed plane?
« on: March 31, 2009, 04:28:45 PM »
     My son and I were out at the field the other day. He recently picked up a swap meet plane with a Supertigre.29. This kind of plane is new to me to fly. I wasn't quite sure of line length for starters. I happened to have a set of .018's that were 58' long. I figured this would suit the plane. First question is, can this size plane be flown on 015's? I started the plane and tilted the outboard tip to the ground and slightly outboard of the circle. I launched typically like a one wheel Flite Streak. My son signalled and off it went. The plane instantly uprighted and turned into the circle. He tried to snatch it quickly in which he almost did. The gear is configured in a manner that its bent to accomodate the outboard wing being on the ground. I'm aware that the torque can roll it inboard, I just didn't expect it. My next question is, how do I address this problem? In the event this size plane could use 015's did the 018's extra weight weigh the inboard side down? I was just trying to figure out exactly what happened. I don't know exactly how much tip weight in oz's there are on it but would adding more assist it? I even thought of a wire skid on the inboard side just under the leadout guide. No damage was done to the plane it just kinda ate the lines which stopped the engine. Luckily it was the last 2 feet before the plane. I was wondering if my line length was a bit much as well. I can now shorten them a bit. I recently launched a .40 size ship of this style in which it didn't roll in as violently. At least the plane is still good besides a prop. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Ken and Shawn

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Whats the best way to launch speed plane?
« Reply #1 on: March 31, 2009, 05:01:05 PM »
Sounds like your pilot needs to be on his toes.  In other words he needs to be moving just before release.  You don't state what prop you are running.  Also you need to be running solid lines if you go with .015's.  If you have some weight you can bolt on to the tip, do it. 

Once your pilot learns how to get ahead of the plane on take off you can then remove some of the lead.  By the way I hope you are talking about counter clock wise flight.  Most speed planes fly clock wise to use the torque to keep them on the end of the lines.

Now for the experts to step in.  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2009, 05:32:38 PM »
      John, counterclockwise is the rotation of the plane in question. There is or was a 8x8 prop on the engine. This is what was on the plane when we bought it. Would a raised arm help with the take off? I assume that I was correct going with the 018's for this plane as well. I thought of an inboard wire skid, but I reconsidered this due to the possibility of it snagging on the ground and doing a lefty into the circle. Ken

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: March 31, 2009, 07:54:11 PM »
remove the gear and build a dolly. but if you feel that is to much have your pilot run back at release after 20 foot of roll it won't come in at you.
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 12, 2009, 07:45:26 PM »
Hate to bring up an old thread but I may have the answer.

First a question
Does the .29airplane sit at a steeper angle than the .40?
If the P factor is winning.

Many years ago as a Jr George Cleveland was trying to talk me into flying a quicky type rat in rat race.
The airplane belonged to a 3rd party and had a reputation of doing what you describe.

George insisted I was capable of flying it.

The trick he said was to hold some down elevator at release until the wheel cleared the ground.
Well sure enough it worked!

I refused to fly it again in the contest.
Imagine a 90-100lb boy hanging on to a ST 40 powered Rat!
That thing scared me you know what less!

This trick came in handy years later when me and 2 friends started 1/2A rat racing for fun on the weekends.
Jim Ong took and developed the idea and now its called mouse racing I think.

Hope this helps out!

David

David Roland

Offline kenneth cook

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 14, 2009, 02:13:24 PM »
       To date, we solved our flying in problems. We did several things immediately to remedy. We put tip weight on and another 1.25 ounces and with some engine offset in. As for your question, yes the .29 does sit a bit higher. We also bent the landing gear extermely to the one side as to counter the torque as it tries to roll over. The gear was already bent  we just gave it a tad more. We've had nothing but successful flights with the plane other than a minor tank leak and a blown plug. I have another waiting completion and I hope it goes as good as this one. For certain the snatching it off the ground while running back was the best advice. My son is much more relaxed now flying it. I was wondering if the offset could be removed to gain a bit more speed. Ken

Offline W.D. Roland

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 14, 2009, 11:05:28 PM »
Shouldn't have to snatch it off the ground
what is the weight and wing area?

Seriously--hold slight down from neutral elevator to get the tail up, this way it is out of "P' factor quick enough.

You can go to neutral or even a little up as soon as the tail is up(you want the tail up immediately on release)
It should be in the air flying in feet or possibly inches

Hold the lines relaxed--not tight or that will help 'spring it in'
The person launching holds  the airplane from moving forward, do not hold it down!

At steep ground angle and the airplane moving forward has the out board prop pitch  way up in pitch numbers relative to direction of travel and the inboard blade can be reversed pitch-to the direction of movement.(P factor)
IT IS GOING TO TURN LEFT upon release.

If it is Quickie Rat or short pan type it probably has this problem.
If it is a Pan Pat type with proto length pan or longer than normal quickie it may not have it.
Pan Rats were usually good with about 2 inches between rear of fuselage and ground.

Part cure is long tail skid--and may still need down on take off. Tip skid needs to almost hold airplane level left to right.
10deg tilt to outside?

This effect exist on all tail draggers--C/L race/speed planes probably have it the worst.

Hope this helps get it right.
Then take out 1/2 the out thrust and see what happens--and remove some of that tip weight--in stages.
Trying to turn right in a left hand circle will slow you down!

Heck-- post a couple of pics worth a 1000 words

David
« Last Edit: August 15, 2009, 12:24:00 PM by W.D. Roland »
David Roland

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here