News:

• April 27, 2024, 04:01:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Trouble  (Read 1142 times)

Willis Swindell

• Trade Count: (0)
Trouble
« on: April 30, 2007, 08:21:16 PM »
Joey
Your Dad sent me some pictures I took for a magazine back in the seventies. It was the first piped B job you probably flew. The picture got me into trouble the first time my first wife saw it and again now trying to explain the story of the model “female type” to Bernie. The picture did make it into the magazine, I wonder why?

Willis  mw~ mw~
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 09:33:54 AM by Willis Swindell »

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
Re: Trouble
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2007, 05:19:15 AM »
never did think you guys got into trouble,guess i was wrong. that picture makes me want to go fly a b speedwith the dolly.that on had a super tiger 29 if i remember right.there was a sister ship done up with light and dark wood the painted clear it was a heavy plane,the darn thing pulled me through the pylon at bill pardue's contest in carolina. the good old days when we would fly speed racing and combat all the same day.
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline Robert Mathison

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2007, 06:20:43 AM »
Willis , I can remember every thing about that B SHIPand all the fun we had flying it, this was the best of the B SPEED SHIPS.
   When we took it over to the school parking area for the first flight and as soon as we started the ST.29 it came on pipe and would every time we would fly it.

BOB

Willis Swindell

« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2007, 09:14:25 AM »
Bob

Funny I don’t remember any of that. I just remember her smelling fruity, like pears.
Willis   ;D

« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 12:36:53 PM by Willis Swindell »

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2007, 11:15:18 AM »

Willis;

You are the only one here that dosen't know me, but after this reply you will? Bob emailed me these pictures this morning and them PM'd me here to see if I had gotten them. My reply went something like this-----

Hmmmmmmmmm Pictures, lets see. 5'5" tall, long dark hair,35-29-32, legs all the way from her butt to the ground, knee high white boots, hot pants and a partially see thru blouse. Oh yea and holding a "B Speed Ship" YUP I GOT THEM.

Does this tell you anything"

"Billy G"   ;D
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Willis Swindell

« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2007, 12:39:30 PM »
Bill
Only that great minds think alike.
Willis  (PE**)

Offline Shultzie

• Admiral
  • Don Shultz "1969 Nats Sting Ray"
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2007, 02:03:39 PM »
"G"MAN!......THANKS FOR THE E MAIL ON THIS POST!...INDEED A LOVELY YOUNG LADY!
Interesting how many covers on model airplane publications..showed lovely young lady's. However it just wasn't modelmags...
Even the old Boeing Company used pretty young stewardesssisisisissss' posing in bathing suits in Dash 80 and 707s advertizements.
Geeee...today this would never sell and would get soooooooomany folks in trouble..at home AND ON THE JOB!
Still just the same.....models rule...all of um' (PE**)
« Last Edit: May 01, 2007, 02:26:17 PM by Shultzie »
Don Shultz

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2007, 05:14:54 PM »
Dad,Willis,Bill and Don that b speed is now ready to fly with some new glass cloth and a new control unit just missing the dolly wonder where she went.

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2007, 05:33:30 PM »

Joey;

Man, this is gettin interesting. By "DOLLY" I am assuming you mean the undercarriage left behind after a successful take-off. Or am I to ASSUME otherwise because of the placement of the word "SHE"? This can't be happening, this is just to easy, so many assumptions so little time. Nice pictures regardless of the outcome of this thread. How much heavier is it now Joey?

"Billy G"   ;D
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline Leo Mehl

• Admiral
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2007, 06:46:59 PM »
So whats the big deal we all have seen speed models with great legs. Just because there is some extra carving on the fusalege there is no reason to get excited. Damn I must be getting old. Oh well I can dream can't I? HB~> mw~ LL~ LL~

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2007, 07:33:10 PM »
G  man back in the day my dad built these planes with negative washout in the tips durring the rebuild i sanded all that old school stuff out so the wt. is close to the same i guess i dont have my scale i gave it to my dad years ago for his free flight planes.there were some areas that were just about see through hence the glass job over the whole ship.this model has seen a lot of differant motors first a side exhauste st 29 then a rear exhauste ops29 then a x29 and now back to the side st 29.it has a few nats trophys one nats Billy Hughes was starting it for me at the end of the day one of them 5 min to 5 flights and there were mere seconds left to start it when the battery lead fell off and he jambed it in the starter and it fired up. we had been fighting with this thing all day not getting a run.this one seemed no differant it was the last att. so i got in the pylon with it blurbing around very rich there are 3 laps requried before the timing starts and on the third lap it must of sucked up the perfect size chunk of dirt and she pipe up for the 6 laps of timing then the dirt went through and back to blurbing rich. that was a very lucky flight but it also gave the morris/ mathison team the points to win the nass hi point trophy for 1989.the motor was a x 29 that glen dye had put together the week before the nats. thanks glenn and thanks billy hughes for all the help and memories over the years. 

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: May 02, 2007, 05:27:30 AM »

OK you win Joey (a guy can't even have a little fun) lets get serious. If that ship worked OK with negative washout why did you sand it out? What side exhaust .29? I assume it is Mono? Is it "Vintage Speed" eligable?

"G-Man"  ;D

Also while I am here, thank-you for pushing the "Ringmaster Plus" to it's fourth page. I have everything here to start, so I may disappear for a while. If you don't see me you know where I am.   (PE**)
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Willis Swindell

« Reply #12 on: May 02, 2007, 09:29:27 AM »
Negative wash out might be old school but I haven’t personally seen any thing to prove it wrong. Just Joey setting all kinds of records with out it . Clark y at the root and 1º negative at the tip, people use to pick up our Goodyear's and tell us do you know your wing is warped? Our planes flew level Most others looked like they flew nose high too me, especially the speed planes. Just my take on it.
Willis    ??? n~

• Captain
« Reply #13 on: May 02, 2007, 04:46:20 PM »
you are right willis the old planes flew very stable. with the 10%nitro rule it change things a bit with the d speed it needs to take off very rich much like you used to set them off but with the new fuel they run to cold so you have to fly them hi and make them work so the engine will heat up and clean out. a large tank is needed for this also takes 6 to 8 laps rich for a maxed out run many will say that the tank is in the wrong place but the trophy's on my wall so either i am lucky or it works. with the neg. wash out the planes would not stay at the top of the circle they had a tendency to be hi on one side and low on the other. so now you are set get dad to build that pink lady i have given him a handel lines plans and a pan. just don't let john fly it. #^ #^ #^ #^

Willis Swindell

« Reply #14 on: May 03, 2007, 01:19:31 PM »
Joey
I would think you would be to young too remember something that happened that long ago. After the fourth hit the engine rolled out the bottom of the pan. John still doesn’t like to talk about it.
Willis  S?P S?P LL~ LL~

• Captain
« Reply #15 on: May 03, 2007, 04:45:58 PM »
fox 29, plane was orange and black and he flew it at the manor high school parking lot. after that i did all the 1 line stuff. the modern day speed planes fly completly differant. i think john could fly a modern day b speed with no problem. if not i would be glad to help i am coming home around labor day for a visit. S?P

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here