News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:32:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: THE COMMING OF PERKY  (Read 870 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
THE COMMING OF PERKY
« on: August 23, 2007, 10:21:59 PM »
           I do not know if anyone is interested in how we make a kit all come together but with a little time on my hands I thought that I would tell you about how we are doing the "Perky". I saw it in a magazine and liked it so I presented it at the next partners meeting. Because it was a step in a different direction it took a little convincing. I sent out to get the plans with all sorts of ideas in my head on how we could make the kit....they were all wrong. With plans in hand we talked over how to do what we wanted to and produce a good kit. With this being Perky's 60th birthday we opted to reproduce the kit much like the original one was. The print wood would be replaced with laser cut parts so the laser and cad people were scheduled and the plans sent off. We wanter to put "Ventage" type hardware into the kit, since that takes time to get it had to be ordered early (it is still in the mail). The decisions on how to machine the nose blocks (hollow and shape) was the next step, done.
          In the mean time the box art was being set up and a decision was made to serial number all kits made this year for the benefit of the kit collectors and to add a "60th Anniversary" decal. Decal design complete. I did not see this one comming but the directions need to be reworked, save that for next week. Cad done. Laser starts tomorrow. Cut boxes, next week. Order wood in two weeks. Print decal two weeks.
          So everything is moving from the four corners of the country and Canada all toward California and we seen to be on time.
          If no one was interrested then I am sorry that I took up your time.
Larry
There more pictures on my web site under comming attractions. WWW.balckhawkmodels.com

« Last Edit: August 24, 2007, 03:01:08 PM by LARRY RICE »

Offline Buz Johnson

• New Pilot
Re: THE COMMING OF PERKY
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2007, 06:19:20 AM »
Hey Larry,

I for one, don't think it was a waste of time at all. It's interesting to at least read about how a model airplane kit comes into being. How about some fotos? I think what Black Hawk is doing is not only an important project for c/l modeling in general, it's virtually unheard of from a business standpoint. Who else but some dedicated model airplane nuts produce a kit with no guaranteed return on investment? Bravo, and Thank You.

Back in the early sixties, our model airplane club (Pelicans MAC) got to tour the Carl Goldberg plant when it was located in Chicago. It was on a Sunday when the plant was shut down. What a treat!

Regards,
buz
« Last Edit: August 27, 2007, 06:08:22 PM by Buz Johnson »

Offline Douglas Babb

• What goes through your mind first as a line breaks?
  • Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2007, 11:08:24 AM »
I went to your site, man that plane looks good. Congrats to the builder. I have one question about the add, it says class A .19-.30 for engine. was the Perky designed for engines larger than .19, either way I want one.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2007, 12:33:29 PM »
         The Perky was designed for an ignition .20 to .30 engine and a speed range of about 50 mph most people today put a .25 glo engine in it and fly at about 120 mph. The Perky is a nice plane and I am sure that we will have an excellent kit available soon.
Larry

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 27, 2007, 09:07:08 AM »
Hi Larry,  the old DOC here.  I have been watching on and off on the stuff wyou have been doing.  If you don't forget, I would be very interested in one of the kits if not more.  Maybe I can get the son and kids back to flying again.  Have fun,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #5 on: August 27, 2007, 04:36:44 PM »
the perky shown was built by Billy Hughes - pres. of NASS.  it is powered by a new OPS 15.  timed speed was 90.82 mph.

Tom Wilk

Offline Bob Riegl

• Ensign
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2007, 11:23:10 AM »
 #^ Wow!!! Color me happy, put me down for at least one mebbe two. My first post on the site and I have been looking at the Perky on the Yahoo site and trying to get plans. But, a kit as described is much better so I will wait patiently and hopefully get one of your first run.  y1
FLY
C

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 03, 2007, 12:12:02 AM »
Well! Here is another up date. We are in the middle of filling two large orders and a massive heatwave has hit. We had to cut everyones hours due to the heat, 100 deg. today and tomorrow. The Laser cut parts are on the way, due in on Friday. I picked up the last of the hardware yesterday and only need the wheels to complete it, should be here by Friday too. Got the finial OK on the decals so I will start printing them tomorrow. Can not start cutting leading edges and nose blocks until the laser parts are here so the sizes can be checked. I think that I will bend wire later this week so the landing gear will be ready.
        I still need to do the plans and the up date book. That can be done in a day or two. Sharon wants to put up the hardware packs but I want to try to find 1947 type packaging for it instead of the plastic bags we usually use. This kit should be a trip back to 1947.
Larry

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 07, 2007, 11:57:05 PM »
A lot is happening on the Perky now. The wheels finally made it and the laser parts were sent to the wrong address....will get them Monday. The plans have been redone and will be copied next week. The wood is on the way now. The original Megow kit was released October 16, 1946 we will release our Anniversary Edition October 16, 2007. The kits will be dated and serial numbered until January 1, 2008. The kits will be sold though our Authorized Dealers only. I will post the names and contact information of the dealers who will be stocking them. List Price is $49.00.
Larry  H^^

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here