News:

• April 27, 2024, 02:35:10 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: sport jet  (Read 2625 times)

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
sport jet
« on: November 02, 2006, 06:43:08 PM »
 f~ f~ f~ f~ f~ got no dog in this fight was asked to do this by a sj pilot f~ f~ f~ f~ f~
« Last Edit: November 02, 2006, 07:29:07 PM by Robert Storick »
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline Ken Deboy

• Commander
    • Silk and Dope
Re: sport jet
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2006, 07:29:14 PM »
I would say no, but it would be interesting to read about the pros and cons. Any links?

cheers,
Ken
There is a fine line between "hobby" and "mental illness"

Offline Patrick Hempel

• Lieutenant
  • Genes Jet
    • DMAA web site
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2006, 08:11:07 AM »
Thanks Joey,

1) I believe that the model should represent something? (History) like the (Fi-013)=(V-1), Super Burp, Etc… = Upright models. This could be like some of the CL racing events that states the type of model design, (keep in mind this is not fast jet (sidewinder)! (We already have this event (309).

2) The line size should be discussed as well. (Not that big of a deal).

3) The eng. should be stock, short head and run on suction. (Not to big of a deal here, but someone could soup theirs up but whatever) as long as the pipe is 19” long and has the correct volume.

Would like folks input on this subject. If you fly it or not?
However it would be better if it were limited to those who have entered the event in the past?

Thanks,
Patrick Hempel

Patrick Hempel

Offline Will Stewart

• New Pilot
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2006, 02:26:59 PM »
Wow, Joey 

I hope nobody thinks I put you up to this.  There shouldn't be any restrictions on airplane design beyond those in the NASS/NW Sport-Jet rules.

The problem with SJ is the NASS short lines (and the NW thin lines).  Every effort should be made to consolidate the S-J rules of both organizations with each giving a little.

A problem which has not been really examined, in both Sport and Fast jet, is the speed of the dolly when the airplane lifts off., which is much faster than with prop jobs  It was mentioned on the Speed Forum that, if anyone gets hit, dollys will probably have to be tethered
of banned by AMA.  For this reason, since sidewinders seem to require dollys, there might be problems on the horizon for this design. and we all would have to skid off.

If this happens, the LIGHTER the line the better skid-off performance, regardless of line length (do the Math).  The only way to slow dollys down is with large wing area for the airplanes, which is a whole nother problem.

Joey, you should be in favor of longer S-J lines to reduce your contest work load.

Dynasoar 1948

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2006, 05:14:00 PM »
will i am staying out of this one i have no sj jet if i did i would want it to be monoline. as far as the dolly trouble the saftey fence is going to catch that dolly if you got no saftey fence hide. 

Online Jim Rhoades

• Commander
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2006, 05:23:54 PM »
In response to Patrick's questions I'd like to add my 2 cents worth.  I don't think there should be any restrictions on SJ design just like there is none in Fast Jet 309.  There is nothing in those reles that say you have to run a Sidewinder.  A properly set up sidewinder is probably faster but the rules don't require you to run one and I feel no design restrictions were originally intended in SJ nor should any be added.  There are probably more uprights flown now than Sidewinders and one of the 3, Will Stewarts, 150 mph sport jets is an upright.

I'm fine with the 60' .022 line size we have now although I'd still fly if we went to 70' say .020 but that would not be my preference as I feel the pull and rotation at 150 mph is not a problem with my 67 1/2 year old legs.  Rotation speed in F2A however is.

The stock engine rules per NASS are good with me although the NW rules allowing fin removal and possibly cowl behind the mouth would be alright with me.  I could go along with no spark plug as both DJ and Bailey both made pipes without plug holes.  I had to put one in on mine to conform.  Require the original anodizing in the intake throat and ports to be present.

Jim Rhoades  

Offline Robert Bolton

• Lieutenant
    • Noclass Mac
« Reply #6 on: November 05, 2006, 02:15:18 PM »
Hi All I thought I'd put a comment in from New Zealand due to the fact a Kiwi won sport jet this year.  We have been doing a lot of work with our jet designs and most of us fly up rights as was Andrews Winning model..  We  Have found no advantage in flying either design as long as the Model Is Light and flies straight!!! We fly on 0.5mm line with a 19.9m length which is close to 65 feet with no problems at all..   Andrews and my model are usually hitting just over 150 mph in our conditions.  My model weighs in at a dry weight of 23 oz which I guess is light by your guys measure??

Just another note isnt sport jet an unofficial event???  If so why not allow people to fly on the longer lines if they wish! Just time them for the reduced laps! As I dont think its about winning but making alot of beautiful noise j1

regards
Robert Bolton

Offline Will Stewart

• New Pilot
« Reply #7 on: November 05, 2006, 03:12:25 PM »
Robert,
Thanks for your excellent post.  I've been preparing a proposal for NASS to permit official flight with either 60 ft X 0.022 or 70 X 0.020 lines. on a provisional basis.  Currently covering the safety issues of the longer lines.  The longer lines will theoretically cost between 2 and 3 MPH, but, as appears to be the case with experimental flights on the new 65 foot A lines, no noticable loss has  been observed.  Possibly a case of the pilot not holding the airplane back as much.

I hope that ultimately NASS and North West Sport-Jet rules can be unified.  Ultimately NZ?

Will Stewart

Offline Will Stewart

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: November 05, 2006, 08:49:57 PM »
Reply to Robert Bolton-

Robert, Could you copy me with NZ Sport-Jet rules?  I think they might be helpful in my efforts to broaden NASS rules.  I assume that you time  eight laps, for one km. 

Some S-J contest results might help as well.

Check out my latest S-J on Joey's picture site.

Will Stewart

Offline Patrick Hempel

• Lieutenant
  • Genes Jet
    • DMAA web site
« Reply #9 on: November 13, 2006, 11:51:55 AM »
New SPORT JET MODEL
Patrick Hempel

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: November 13, 2006, 06:59:33 PM »
pat i remember that one from the 70's

Offline Patrick Hempel

• Lieutenant
  • Genes Jet
    • DMAA web site
« Reply #11 on: November 14, 2006, 08:20:22 AM »

Hello Robert,
If I remember correctly from talking to Andrew at the Nats you folks don’t use propylene oxide in your fuel for the jets do you?
Are you folks using nitro instead?
Any other type of igniter (ingredients) yawl use?
I remember when the fuel was unlimited in the jet event here in the U.S. in the past. (Is this how yawl play this sport there)?

Thanks,
Patrick

Patrick Hempel

Offline Will Stewart

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: November 14, 2006, 04:26:04 PM »
Patrick,

Is that your 1/2 delta Sport-Jet shown in the photo?   The engine looks unrun so I would guess that it has not yet been test flown.  Please keep us informed when you fly it.

John Strollo would really be interested in this ship.

Will Stewart

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #13 on: November 18, 2006, 12:18:51 PM »
 ;Dwellllllllllllllllll  joey mathison.....jim welch in virginia to say hi...just got the puter up again...whats up?
AMA 89335

• Captain
« Reply #14 on: November 18, 2006, 01:41:45 PM »
good to here from you jim glad you are flying again. been flying a lot of sport planes and a little bit of speed got a d speed going in the 190's and a jet in the 200's sounds like the gang is all back together man i miss those days we had a ton off fun. remember when we broke the pylon right out of the ground at the nats in lake charles?

Offline jim welch

• Commander
« Reply #15 on: November 19, 2006, 06:44:29 PM »
Sure remember joey was an amazing thing to see a d plane move your big carcas flatfooted 10 feet outa the center and watch you bulldog it back even though our 203 wasn't allowed because louisiana asplalt is soft in 110 degree weather he he he.flew today at fentress with your dad willis and john tate.one airplane a month ago turned into 6 today.Cleaned out the hanger and got a lot of room. Seems strange without 20 combat planes d speed 21 speed rats formula 40's  etc. but have much room for jello as they say.I'll be yapping with you soon   jim
AMA 89335

Offline Robert Bolton

• Lieutenant
    • Noclass Mac
« Reply #16 on: November 21, 2006, 12:06:24 AM »
Hi Guys Ive been away for a few days!!!   So too reply to everybody our jet rules are fairly relaxed. As there are no destintion between fast and slow models our main idea is to get in the air and make noise as part of our % speed. The Fuel is unrestricted so a 50/50 brew is always possible. Andrew has run this in his sport jet and did 170ish on a good day.  Propylene oxide is availabe and I do run it as I find it a fraction more consistant.  The Robinson crew all run a 20% nitro 5% ether the rest methanol. The ether makes the starts easier. This brew is about 5mph down on the PO brew
Lines are 19.9 m long  0.5mm for 2 line and 0.8mm for monoline The run is timed for 8 laps (1km) So if any of you guys come to NZ you will go very quick on the smaller lines and unrestricted fuel!!!  The other restriction we have is engine size which is anything goes as long as its under 500grms in weight. So its all fun fun fun  8)    And Dont fforget we bring in the new years with a bang  f~   

regards
Robert Bolton

Online Jim Rhoades

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2006, 08:22:06 PM »
Robert,

Good to see you here on this forum.  I'm packing now to go to Whittier Narrows for the toys for Tots meet to fly Sport Jet and F2A.  It will be the last meet of the year and the weather report says mid to upper 70's f.  That's 24 to 26 c for you guys.  That's nice pleasant weather especially compared to the high today in the mid 20's that's about -4c and too cold for me.

If the weather and temp's co-operate and I'm home I hope to start off the new year with a bang also.  Unfortunately new years eve here usually means temps well below freezing but if we have an unseasonably warm evening I just might lite off the Sport Jet to wake up the neighbors.  If it's cold I'll probably be asleep myself.

Say hi to the NZ gang for me.

Jim Rhoades

Offline Robert Bolton

• Lieutenant
    • Noclass Mac
« Reply #18 on: December 20, 2006, 06:18:35 PM »
Jim I will definately pass on my regards to the crew here in NZ and I hope you are able to get  the jet engine running on New Years Eve . We are hoping to do a bit of sport jet 2 up flying at some stage! Its just a matter of getting enough people.  I am sure having 2 jets flying at midnight would be better than one  f~

If it does happen we will let you know and hopefully have some pics.

I havent had much chance to do much flying or building recently as My little daughter comes 1st but over the school holidays Ive been promised some serious building time.

Have a Great Christmas and New Years everybody

Robert Bolton ( New Zealand )

Offline johnstrollo

• New Pilot
« Reply #19 on: December 27, 2006, 06:09:37 AM »
Except for practice, Sport Jet seems to be the perfect event for both experienced as well as new-to-speedsters.

I hesitate to say it is a good beginner event because I am certain that there is no good speed event for a rank beginner. Speed flying is not nearly as technical as stunt, carrier, racing and can't be more demanding than scale, but ANY speed engine setup can be a PITA. Running a recip on the ragged edge of RPM demands attention to many variables in terms of prop, compression and fuel delivery. Mr Tenny in his infinite wisdom provided us with an almost perfect propulsion system [I for one can live w the heat and actually like the sound]

Use common sense to keep it simple [read easier, but not easy]!!!

Even with no prop or plug, there are still enough variables in skill and design to keep it interesting. DO NOT LIMIT DESIGN!!! Let us Rube Goldberg types enjoy something.

The event existed in several places and seemed to be very popular in the Northwest, using some form of rules that must have worked for everyone involved. This proves both the worth of the event and the necessity for SOME rules.

I always mention Mouse Racing when I get on one of these JAGS. Don't allow SJ to become MR!!!

.21 SS, like almost all other events, has advanced to the point where the top 5 competitors can EXCHANGE airplanes and the results will be the same. This is a good thing, because this is REAL racing. A body of knowledge exists, and if a person is patient and attentive, this knowledge will become apparent.

SJ, with varibles limited to "stock" engines or readily available BOLT IN replacement parts, leaves only airframe, building and flying skill as the focus. I am sure that there is "a perfect" design out there for SJ, but so far, none has become apparent.

Funny, a stock DJ is probably the simplest speed engine to maintain. [just a little touchy getting helpers]

BTW
The thing I like about this FORUM is that it may attract some guys that fly other disciplines, just as it seems BIG JOEY has turned to stunting!!!

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 27, 2006, 06:44:23 AM »
John that was a good post keep up the info we need it . there has been a lot of talk of sport jet latley i hope that it remains just a fun event. as far as stunt i would not call it that it is more like sport flying i don't even know the pattern i usualy go inverted as soon as the plane is air born. that is what i like to do go out and fly we fly every weekend here in vegas even starting a new club called control line association of nevada. (clan)

Offline johnstrollo

• New Pilot
« Reply #21 on: December 27, 2006, 08:31:11 AM »
I usta think stunt was low tech, then I went to Bob Hunt's place...building those things, at least the top of the line stunters, takes some serious effort and quite a bit o jack [$$$] Also, time to build, like sometimes a year??? And they get into these very serious discussions about engines...

Also, the real guys fly this pattern thing and they seem to be able to tell the difference between one pilot and another [I can't tell any difference]

• Captain
« Reply #22 on: December 27, 2006, 07:01:43 PM »
get yourself an arf and try it out you may just like it it is a lot of fun and the other flyers will help you as if you were family. #^ #^ #^ #^ #^

Offline johnstrollo

• New Pilot
« Reply #23 on: December 27, 2006, 07:16:48 PM »
nah
I don't have the time or the interest
just like going fast

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here