News:

• May 05, 2024, 11:57:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Southwest Sport Speed  (Read 892 times)

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Captain
Southwest Sport Speed
« on: April 02, 2009, 12:56:36 PM »

I just saw this event listed in a contest announcement for the Knights of the Round Circle in L.A.  Does anyone know what engines are typically used?  Rules say front intake, side ported, suction tanks, originally costing < $100, any mods.  Sounds like an event I might be physically able to fly. 
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
Re: Southwest Sport Speed
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2009, 02:43:12 PM »
The event was just run last weekend at Cabin Fever.  Think the winner was just under 40 seconds for the mile, right around 90 mph.

I don't know what engines are being used.  It's basically a slow rat, 35 engine and a 9-6 prop, I think.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2009, 03:02:30 PM »

Don, Thanks for the info.  Do you recall roughly how many entries there were in the sport speed event?

Kim
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline eric conley

• 2018 Supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #3 on: April 04, 2009, 12:02:29 PM »
     The sport speed event at Cabin Fever was won by Burt Brokaw with a time 35:34 which is a little over a 100mph. His plane was powered by a Thunder Tiger Pro .36 that he barrowed off his Skyray 35 carrier plane. These are a great little engine and can be picked up for $74.99 at e-hobbies. At the carrier plus meet held in 2008 the winning plane was powered by an EVO .36 with a speed of 94mph. I think the EVO plane got second an the Cabin Fever meet with a speed again of 94mph. eric

Offline Sonny Williams

• Lieutenant
  • Control line builder and flyer since 1946.
« Reply #4 on: April 07, 2009, 08:02:55 AM »
Can you tell me a bit more about the rules and in particular line length and line size. What type model, speed model, rat model or what? Thanks for response.

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: April 07, 2009, 03:17:21 PM »
Basically it's a FOX/SSR racer with a max .36 under $100 engine.   Profile fuselage, 300 sq in, 1" thick wing, 22" prop washer face to elevator hinge line, .015 x 60' (-0") lines. BTYW, The race rules allow -6" on the lines so most racers would need a new set of lines.
Timed 14 laps from a standing start, 1 lap to get in the pylon.  From watching it's a very easy event to fly.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #6 on: April 07, 2009, 03:38:41 PM »
Timed 14 laps from a standing start, 1 lap to get in the pylon.  From watching it's a very easy event to fly.

Could be a fun event for old geezers like myself, what don't get 'round the pylon so swift no more.   ~>
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Wayne J. Buran

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 08, 2009, 04:22:10 AM »
Question on the lines, .015X60 minus 0 plus 6? What kind of lines, solid or stranded?
Wayne
Wayne Buran
Medina, Ohio
AMA 14986 CD
USAF Veteran 35 TAC GP/ 6236 CSG, DonMuang RTAFB, Bangkok, Thailand 65-66 North Coast Controliners   "A fine is a tax for doing wrong. A tax is a fine for doing well!

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 08, 2009, 09:55:47 AM »
Far as I know, not specified, use whatever.  But finding .015 solids might be a bit of a problem.  FOX/SSR rules are .015 stranded, that's probably where the number came from.  As far as the length, best idea is to make them the minimum, usually cl of airplane to cl of handle grip.  Anything longer is going to add to your lap time.  Remember, your wrist is required to be in the pylon fork, that automatically adds some length to the lines.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Kim Mortimore

• 2013 Supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2009, 11:26:04 AM »
An email I have, originally sent by Burt Brokaw on March 30 of this year, says the line requirement is .018 stranded, 60' +/- 1" center-to-center. 

The email also says that the engine requirement is UP TO .36.  One of my flying friends says that several guys tried to enter their Super Slow Rats with plain bearing .25 engines in SW Sport Speed at Cabin Fever in a previous year and were told by the officials that the event is for .36 engines only.  Another friend from So. Cal. told me the original purpose of the speed event was to attract SSR/Foxrace fliers and allow them to enter their racing planes with little or no modification.  Go figure.  I have also been told that the rules have changed from year to year.  I emailed George Brown for a copy of the current rules (after Cabin Fever), per the instructions on the kotrc dot org website for the Cabin Fever contest, and have not yet received a reply.

I am curious if anyone keeps a record for this event.  All California speed contests are record-ratio contests, so it might be possible to fly SWSS out here if there is a record for comparison. 

Also of possible interest to those who like this type of event, the Northwest now has a local event, F2C Proto, for airframes that look like enlarged 1/2A Profile Protos, running F2C .15 combat engines.  I hear that these babies blast off the line like they were shot out of a cannon and reach top speeds in the 100 mph range on 52' lines.  Another fun event for speed amateurs.

Kim Mortimore

« Last Edit: April 08, 2009, 04:47:32 PM by Kim Mortimore »
Kim Mortimore
Santa Clara, CA

Offline Randy Bush

• Lieutenant
« Reply #10 on: April 08, 2009, 04:45:22 PM »
Here's a set of rules and an official contact from the 2009 Cabin Fever flyer:
(quote)
Southwest Sport Speed .35 Rules
Airframe: same as NCLRA Fox
Engine: Front Rotor, Side Ported Up To.36 Displacement originally available for under $100.00 (any modifications)
Prop: 9 x6 APC, Rev-up, Master Airscrew, or any other unmodified over the counter 9 x 6 (no fiberglass or carbon fiber)
Lines: .018 braided steel only, 60 feet long centerline to centerline, plus or minus 1 inch – 35 pound pull test each flight
Tank: Suction Feed Systems Only
Procedure: Timed first14 Laps from start, in-the-yoke before second lap.
Fuel: 10-10-10 / 70 Methanol (Event Supplied) .......................
Sport Speed Rules available from: George Brown, tempemachine@gmail.com
(unquote)

Before I built an entry for this event, I would confirm the current rules with Mr. Brown or the contest director.

Randy

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here