News:

• May 09, 2024, 07:00:21 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Postal Perky Event  (Read 1691 times)

Offline Patrick Hempel

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Lieutenant
  • Genes Jet
    • DMAA web site
Postal Perky Event
« on: August 22, 2012, 09:03:58 PM »
Postal Perky Event.

September through October 2012

See Perky rules on NASS web site for more info. Average speed wins a Custom Medallion made and supplied by G. Hamby.

Send the fastest times, name and address to my email ptrckhem at aol. com  by November 1st. or post up here.

The Medallion will be mailed to the winner.

The more interest the better.

So far we got four (4) entrees from around the world.

No entry fee just your enjoyment.

Thanks and good luck.
Patrick Hempel

Offline rustler

• Captain
Re: Postal Perky Event
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2012, 02:53:12 PM »
I have two Perkies, well, one actually with two engines. Can I enter twice? ;)
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Patrick Hempel

• Lieutenant
  • Genes Jet
    • DMAA web site
« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2012, 03:16:26 PM »
Your Question. I have two Perkies, well, one actually with two engines. Can I enter twice?
Yes sir, you may enter twice.
Post up a picture of it? so we can see it.

Here are the rules.
November 6, 2007
NASS Perky OTS Speed Rules
Reviewed and approved by NASS Technical Director to ensure compliance with AMA Safety rules.
This is a one design speed event. The Model is the 1946 Matt Kania designed Megow Perky. The rules are pretty basic.
1. The Model must be built to the out line of the original 1946 Megow Perky design. Construction modifications allowed.
2. Model must be equipped with a 1 ½” or 1 ¾” Spinner.
3. Model must be equipped with two wheels of 1 3/8” to 1 ½” Diameter.
4. Only Suction type Fuel Systems are allowed. No Pressure Systems.
5. The Engine size shall be .15 cu in Glow or Diesel. Or .19 cu in Ignition engine.
6. Glow Engines are to use the AMA 10% Spec Control Line Speed Fuel. No fuel restrictions for Diesel or Ignition Engines.
7. No Tuned Pipes or Megaphone exhaust extensions allowed. Mini Pipes and Mufflers are ok.
8. Maximum Model weight shall be 23 oz.
9. The flying wires shall be 52’6’’ in length as measured from the center line of the fuselage to the center of the grip on the control handle. Only 2 wire control systems allowed.
10. The flying wires shall be .014” Diameter Solid Steel Music wire. Wire material shall be the AMA required ASTM A228M Spec wire.
11. A Pull Test of 25g’s shall be applied to the model, flying wires, handle and safety thong prior to each attempt.
12. The Model will be timed for 1 mile, 16 Laps from the point of release.
13. The Pilot is not required to use the AMA Speed Pylon.
14. A Contestant may enter more than one model.
15. For each model entered, the Contestant will be given 4 attempts to complete 3 official flights.
16. All other safety rules in the AMA Rule book apply.
There will be one award for the Model closest to the Average Speed of all Models.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2012, 07:11:14 PM by Joey Mathison 9806 »
Patrick Hempel

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 02:17:16 PM »
Your Question. I have two Perkies, well, one actually with two engines. Can I enter twice?
Yes sir, you may enter twice.
Post up a picture of it? so we can see it.

Here are the rules.
November 6, 2007
NASS Perky OTS Speed Rules

5. The Engine size shall be .15 cu in Glow or Diesel. Or .19 cu in Ignition engine.
6. Glow Engines are to use the AMA 10% Spec Control Line Speed Fuel. No fuel restrictions for Diesel or Ignition Engines.

Uh oh! My engines are O.K. 0.149 and O.K. 0.19. I see the .19 is not allowed! So only one entry. I'm using 10% nitro.
Pictures - should be able to do this soon.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Patrick Hempel

• Lieutenant
  • Genes Jet
    • DMAA web site
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2012, 08:24:15 AM »
Hi,
We got two entry’s so far. If you want to enter there is two weekends left. Till NOV. 3rd and 4th 2012
10-13-12
Carl Layman Houston TX speed = 75.41
Patrick Hempel Rockwall TX. Speed  = 75.78
Patrick Hempel

Offline Robert Bolton

• Lieutenant
    • Noclass Mac
« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2012, 01:54:17 PM »
Brendan test flew his yesterday and went quite well... did a offical on the test fly.. Will let him email you the result but its 80 something

Robert

Offline Dave Gardner

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
  • AMA 717
« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2012, 02:48:25 PM »
Hi guys.....(Patrick, Ian..et al...),

I'm working with Tom Knoppi (ex F2C US Team Member) on a couple of Perky's for the event.  We got started too late for this year, apparently, so my questions are:

Is this to be run as an annual world-wide event, reporting to you, Patrick?

Can the flights be run anytime during the year, or does an official specific event have to be sanctioned?  It would seem to document conformity to the rules, timings, etc., that a contest official (CD?) would have to be present.

I believe the question has been asked by others, but only peripherally addressed;  can the engine be mounted inverted?  One of the models shown in photos, as examples, has an inverted engine, while most of the others are upright, per the original Bantam 19 mounting!  The rule noting 'stock outlines' could be addressed both ways, depending on whether or not the engine outline on the plans is considered to be the 'stock outline'.

As a side comment, it would seem that .014 solids seem excessive for a 23 oz model flying on two lines at ~80 mph.  The earlier edition of the rules was noting .012 braided lines.  These are rated as satisfactory for PA event, up to 40 oz weight, with a 25 lb pull test.  For larger lines, .015 braided are allowed up to 64 oz with a 40 lb pull test.  These rules basically call for a 36 lb max pull test.  I do realize that NASS is the SIG for speed events, and is properly the rule maker here.  I only bring it up because a lot of us do NOT have .014 solids on hand, but have many reels of .012 and .015 braided lines.

We have considered having a Perky even with the annual Ringmaster fly-in, to make a Matt Kania day of it. I'd like to see the PhantomMk XV included, even though it might not be competitive.

Thanks for your input!

Dave G.

Dave G.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: October 20, 2012, 09:00:25 PM »
.014" solid is the standard for this event due to the possibility of going really fast with a good engine. The custom is to allow .015" stranded to accommidate sport flyers.  This isn't exactly legal in the world of speed, but it's done.  I've been flying Perky with those line sizes for about six years with no problem.  Sure they'd go faster with shinny lines, but the standard is the standard. 

We have times from The Brodak in June, but they seem to be before the window of this event.  Correctomundo?
Paul Smith

Offline Dave Gardner

• 2018 Supporter
  • Ensign
  • AMA 717
« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2012, 05:29:21 PM »
Thanks, Paul, for that note!  Since it's generally an 'average speed' event, the issue of the lines noted should not make a lot of difference.  The difference in line drag can be offset by concealed vs. exposed leadouts!

...and Ian, why are you not considering using an RM OT Mk 3 in yours?  I'd be concerned about that Cub 14 getting the Perky off the ground!  ....but then again, my experience with that engine was in the early 1950's...and I never looked back!

All the best,

Dave G.
Dave G.

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2012, 01:34:15 PM »
...and Ian, why are you not considering using an RM OT Mk 3 in yours?  Dave G.

Whoa! Am I too late? 63mph. O.K. Cub 0.149.

Dave - The kit was a prezzie from a pal in the U.S. The engine was given to me from the estate of a very good friend, now deceased, by his brother. This is a great way to put both items to very enjoyable use.

I have a KK Phantom for use with a variety of O.T.'s and clones. Right now it's starting off on a CS Tiger. I'm starting at the bottom and working my way up, culminating in a Rothwell R250 and one of my ABC Tigers! Which one will win? I think honour will be satisfied for both parties, as they are not directly comparable. Remember I'm an engine nutter, and don't slavishly fly only my own motors! 8)
« Last Edit: November 08, 2012, 04:48:13 AM by rustler »
Ian Russell.

Offline Patrick Hempel

• Lieutenant
  • Genes Jet
    • DMAA web site
« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2012, 08:00:10 PM »

Hi,
Anyone interested in participating in the Perky Postal CL speed world-wide event for 2013.

I was asked by a CL speed flyer, if we could have a perky postal event, for two months this year, That’s how this got started.
The person that did the postal event in the past, stopped doing it this year, (there was a lack of participation) and the cost involved.
Looking for sponsors so far Dallas Model Airplane Association / George Hamby member will provided the event medallion for the average speed for 2012 and 2013.

If interested in participating. There would need to be some rules.
Email info. To ptrckhem@aol.com Or mail To my address, speed w/picture of the model preferred. Or post info. here at this site. It’s ok w/the moderator.
I will post the info. again at the beginning of 2013.

1) Starting 2013 from April 1st to Nov 1st.
2) Post one speed for the year.
3) Model Requirements: it shall look like the Perky not a Phantom.
4) Up-right, Side-winder or Inverted model is OK.
5) No cowl covering the front end of the motor head (cowl break line) conforming to plans.
6) Refer to the NASS Perky Rules dated 11-06-07 and NASS Speed calc. and AMA line termination rules.
7) One Award for the average speed of the year and 1st – 3rd.
8) No need for the speed info. to be at a sanction event, just participate.
9) Line size shall be .014 solid as per NASS rules.
10) No entry fee it free just send your speed in and be safe.

2012 perky postal event results Sept 1st – Nov 1st participates mph speeds.
1) Brendan Robinson/New Zealand = 80.66
2) Patrick Hempel/USA Rockwall Texas = 75.78
3) Dave Layman/ USA Houston Texas= 75.41

Patrick Hempel
Patrick Hempel

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #11 on: November 09, 2012, 01:17:13 AM »
I have a mostly built Perky and a Taipan Goldhead that should become one in time for next year's contest season.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2012, 08:42:55 AM »
I just need to get my Perky in the air.  Almost two years since I completed it.
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here