News:

• May 09, 2024, 04:47:56 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Perky Engine  (Read 2184 times)

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Perky Engine
« on: August 10, 2010, 07:50:31 AM »
Hey guys, I am starting to get really interested in this Perky idea, what engines will fit in a perky the magnum 15 would probably be good if it fits, I have a few Fox's slant plug 15 x's but they dont probably turn enough Rpm's for racing. I would like an engine that still in production so I can easily get parts. Will a fox 15 BB fit in a Perky, I would like to try one of them in something. Thanks T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Perky Engine
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2010, 10:48:11 AM »
I have a Fox .15 Schnuerle in  my Perky.  Still waiting to be flown.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2010, 11:33:17 AM »
Hey Doc, Thanks for the reply is that plans built or a kit ? I hope I can make 15 laps going that fast!!! T.J.
AMA 85135                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                                    GSCB

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2010, 01:46:29 PM »
I have a kit, planning to install an O.K. 19. I read somewhere that some engine was not eligible, but I guess my O.K. is O.K.?  ???
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline dssit

• Ensign
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2010, 04:01:10 PM »
butch andrews uses a nelson 15 in his and kicked butt at the nats and other contests. carl dodge uses a taipan. I have two perkys one with cs15 and the other with a rattler 15. both go real good.

Offline YakNine

• AMA Member
  • Commander
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2010, 07:58:31 PM »
Randy Smith has the Enya .15 at a pretty good price just researching right now but will get serious in the fall after harvest time is over, unless I have a lot of welding work to catch up on. Do most guys build from the Blackhawk kit, or scratch build ? I will probably buy the kit or I will never get it done, T.J.

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2010, 08:25:54 PM »
the Blackhawk kit is the way to go.  I've built the kit and scratched 2 planes.  At St Louis they still give the big trophy to the plane closed to the average speed.  I never went for top speed, but the average.  I've used diesels,glow and ignition.  I used the Bantam .19 ign which is legal but a real dog - last place.  the chinese Silver Swallow diesel took the average flown by my daughter-in-law. 

Tom Wilk   

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2010, 05:03:34 AM »
At the 2009 Nats, Dave Wallack went 108 with a team race diesel in his Perky.

If you're just going for average, anything that will start & run will work, but they all need some custom work to fit into the airplane.
Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2010, 09:52:31 AM »
Hey Doc, Thanks for the reply is that plans built or a kit ? I hope I can make 15 laps going that fast!!! T.J.

It is a Blackhawk kit that I think I got from Frank Carlisle or someone up north.   Larry at Blackhawk says buy from the dealers/suppliers.  He has a listing of suppliers on the Blackhawk site.  Be ready for a building experience.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2010, 12:05:55 PM »
I built mine of wood, with a top & bottom like a pan rat.  It worked for me - three times.

I wrecked it twice, going for the max, 97 MPH was all I got.  Now I'm settled into the "go for average" routine.

Paul Smith

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2010, 09:12:36 PM »
Maybe need three tophies.  One for overall average.  One for fastest and one for slowest.  But, it has to be airborne for the required laps to qualify for slowest. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2010, 10:00:42 PM »
     Before I took over the Perky Postal Race there was bragging rites for the fastest plane.  I felt, and still believe, that is a bad idea.  While it would promote the contest and bring more entries in to it, it would also promote unsafe flying.  I understand that one Perky was flown at 130 MPH, a balsa wood plane with out a speed pan is not safe at those speeds ... This is why we have speed pans.  Besides worrying that someone will get seriously hurt I also have to much to loose as the sponsor of an unsafe contest.  For that reason I limited the speed to under 90 mph for my contest.

Larry

Offline ALBERTO CABALLERO

• New Pilot
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2010, 10:06:27 PM »
Hello
If some one  needs  a fast engine , I have the new Profi BULLET .15 racing engine  available , parts for this engine  are available too.

Cheers

Alberto

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2010, 09:13:17 PM »
doc what fuel tank are you using? I have the same engine in mine and was looking for an off the self tank. thanks
AMA 874027

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: December 22, 2010, 08:45:46 AM »
I have a tank that was made by me to take up as much space as I could get.  It is an odd shape custom built to fit t H^^hat area I have behind the engine.  Will take pictures later if I remember. 
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: December 22, 2010, 09:00:29 AM »
I am currently redesigning the Perkys interior to use a standard Brodak tank.  I am shortening the motor mount beams and moving the bellcrank mount back a quarter of an inch.  This will allow for a 1 ounce tank to fit in. The new kits will be available next year in February.  H^^ MERRY CHRISTMAS

Larry

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: December 22, 2010, 11:09:16 AM »
Larry,
A well built airplane will handle 130 mph with no problem especially if your only running 10 or 15 laps. F2C's run very close to 130 and have about the same amount of wood as a perky and run a minimum of 500 laps on race day if built correctly the speed is not a problem. I know this because I built Dave Wallick's Perky and it is capable of a higher speed than what he placed with at the Nats due to the fact it was not peaked out on his initial run.

Scott   
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #17 on: December 22, 2010, 12:17:07 PM »
In a Postal event the sole factor that eliminates cheating is that the average speed is all that counts.  If an award was given for the fastest or slowest model then I would be awarding speeds reaching the sound barrier as there is no way to check what people write in.  While I understand that a Perky has reach 130+ MPH I personally do not feel that is safe outside of a cage, but that does not matter.  If you want to fly at those speeds then do it, you do not need my Okay.  You can tell your friends, write about it in a chat room or buy yourself a trophy.  Since I am not present for the speed attempts to check the models for safety, do pull test and judge the way that the flight is performed I will not award prizes or condone high speed flights.  For those who do not like the rules for my postal perky contest ... run your own.
     When someone gets injured flying an unsafe model at a high speed, I do not want to be in a court room explaining why I encouraged him to do it; count me out.

Larry

Offline Scott Jenkins

• Commander
« Reply #18 on: December 22, 2010, 12:48:39 PM »
Larry,
It appears that you are a bit put off by my last thread in essence all I said was that a well built airplane is capable of 130 mph and you are correct that in a postal event all that counts is the average speed. Unfortunately Perky has evolved into a speed event where top speed is what wins. Only the honesty of the competitor is what is at stake in a postal event he is the one who has to live with his entry. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

Scott
Scott Jenkins
AMA 43122
FAI F2C VOLUME 2 SECTION 4, 4.3.7
m) During the refuelling and the restart of the motor, and until the time when he releases the model aircraft, the mechanic must keep the model aircraft in contact with the ground by at least one point and with the centre line outside the flight circle. During that time the pilot must be crouching or sitting inside the centre circle. He keeps one hand on the ground and his handle and his lines as close to the ground as defined by the F2C panel of judges until the model aircraft starts again.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: December 22, 2010, 01:56:55 PM »
Scott, if I took it the wrong way I am sorry.  I am constantly under fire because I limit the speed that is allowed in the Postal events or that I will not post everyones speed.  I go through these arguments all of the time, it gets real old.  I am proud of what the Perky and its postal contest has done for the speed part of the hobby and that is why I keep the postal contest alive.  Now those who would not normally enter a speed event have a contest that even a poor man can enjoy.  No expensive finely tuned engine, no expensive plane.  I am sure that some of those who try the Perky events will get more interested in the sport of speed flying.

Larry

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #20 on: December 22, 2010, 02:00:44 PM »
1st. couple of flights on my Perky result in dead on 60mph. O.K. 15 engine. Destined for an O.K. 19.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline John KruziK

• 24 supporter
  • Commander
« Reply #21 on: January 03, 2011, 06:29:18 PM »
I measured the space behind the engine and can fit a .75"x.75" x aprox. 1.75"high, where should the fuel pickup tube be. Thanks John
AMA 874027

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: January 03, 2011, 08:30:53 PM »
I made a weird looking tank that fits between the Fox and the bulkhead.  Some of it fits between the engine mounts and over them.  Oval top side to fit in side the cowl.  Fuel pick up goes to out side rear corner above the engine mount.  Fill and over flow at top of tank.  It looks weird but worked on an old time stunt plane.  It's a little over one ounce in capacity. H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: January 06, 2011, 05:32:18 PM »
1/2 ounce of fuel will give you a little over the 16 laps-required to qualify in the Perky event.  For a larger tank you can remove the motor mounts or part of them aft of the bulkhead.
Larry

Offline ash

• Commander
    • I build guitars to pay for CL models!
« Reply #24 on: March 14, 2011, 03:27:12 AM »
Is there a Perky Postal contest running this year?

Mine's about half done with a UCTKAM 2.5 up front sans pipe.
Adrian Hamilton - Auckland, NZ.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: March 14, 2011, 09:02:02 AM »
Yes, all entries must be in before the 4th of July. There is no change in the rules so the ones listed on www.blackhawkmodels.com still apply.  Only winners times will be posted.

Larry

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #26 on: March 14, 2011, 04:31:01 PM »
Larry: Are the new kits you referred to in reply #15 ready yet? Are they available through S&S? Thanks, 8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #27 on: March 14, 2011, 05:04:49 PM »
No, there was to much resistance to it.  Several people pointed out that if  300+ people could build it as the original kit was anyone can, and it would be unfair to those who put the time and effort into building the model.

Larry

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
« Reply #28 on: March 14, 2011, 05:43:54 PM »
Larry, that doesn't make any sense at all but if that's the way it is, I'll pass.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #29 on: March 14, 2011, 06:45:32 PM »
Larry,
It appears that you are a bit put off by my last thread in essence all I said was that a well built airplane is capable of 130 mph and you are correct that in a postal event all that counts is the average speed. Unfortunately Perky has evolved into a speed event where top speed is what wins. Only the honesty of the competitor is what is at stake in a postal event he is the one who has to live with his entry. Sorry you took it the wrong way.

Scott

I was at the 2009 Nats when the glow engine Perkys using 10% nitro did 103 MPH and Dave's F2C diesel Perky with unlimited fuel did 108.  I agree that diesels with funny fuel can probably go somewhat faster yet.  But when you're going that fast, it takes A LOT more power to go faster yet.

But the guys who did 103 with legal glow-Perkys on 10% nitro are pretty good speed men and I doubt they have much left.  A standing mile average of 130 MPH would need almost 140 top end.  That would be tough to achieve whilst obeying the rules.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2011, 01:38:01 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #30 on: March 15, 2011, 09:06:52 AM »
    Well, Paul, if I was going for the fastest Perky I would not start with a wooden plane.  I would go to fibre glass and carbon fibre material. I would power it with one of those expensive Italian Speed engines.  That would be the starting place and with unlimited money I think that I could push the limits of Perky speed.  All of that would be legal for the Perky Postal Event but it would not be what the event is designed for.  The idea behind the event is to make it possible for anyone to enter, without spending huge sums of money and stand a fair chance of winning. 
     I believe that the Perky Postal Event is doing more to introduce control line fliers to speed competition.  While the postal event limits the speeds it allows contestants a chance to experience the thrills of speed flying.  While we limit the speeds, everyone wants to be the fastest.  I am sure that more people, who would never try a speed plane, are now considering it .... has to be good for the hobby.

Larry

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #31 on: March 15, 2011, 09:14:33 AM »
    For those who do not want to put in the work of building the Perky I would suggest the Phantom XV.  It is very easy to build and is being raced all over Europe.  The kit is offered by Black Hawk Models.

Larry

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #32 on: March 15, 2011, 05:57:00 PM »
they run Phantom racing in Europe.  It was flown at Julio's contest in Portugal when we attended.

Tom Wilk

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #33 on: March 15, 2011, 06:59:19 PM »
The above picture is of his award winning Phantom.
Larry

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here