News:

• April 27, 2024, 06:15:25 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: NEW AMERICAN PERKY POSTAL CONTEST  (Read 2658 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
NEW AMERICAN PERKY POSTAL CONTEST
« on: September 19, 2007, 09:54:34 AM »
          While the world only needs one Perky Postal Contest Black Hawk Models would like to sponsor an American Perky Postal Contest. While I, as most of you already know, an against rules there need to be a few for safety. Start date 1 January 2008, End date .. July 4, 2008.
Trophies for:
(No trophies or awards for the highest speeds.)
Ignition engine
Diesel engine
Glow engine

Engine size
Glow .14 to .1525
Diesel .14 to .1525
Ignition .19 to .23

Control lines, plus leadouts, .015. (or larger) Two line control system only.
Line length from center of handle to center of plane 52' 6".

Suction feed only.
No tuned pipes or performance enhanced exhaust systems.

Model built to plan outline.
Builder must fly and submit times.
Two wheels of at least 1 1/2" dia.
Reccomended but not enforced as a rule: Bellcrank mounted to/attached to motor mounts.
Recommended fuel 10% nitro or less

16 laps (one mile) timed.
3 entries per contestant allowed.
Winner is the closest to the average time, in case of tie best time under average time wins.
No entry accepted with speeds over 90 mph.

Since Black Hawk Models will not be present for any building or flying of any models competing in this or any other event we reccomend that ALL safety measures be enforce at ALL times. We recommend that ALL equipment and ALL aircraft be examined carefully before each flight and that if there is anything that might, in any way malfunction, break or cause the model to perform in an unsafe manner that and any future flights with this model and/or equipment be terminated until satisfactory repairs and/or replacements can be made. Black Hawk Models does not accept any liability for any injuries or damage caused by any model aircraft, or equipment that may be used injunction with any model aircraft, in this event or any other event. We do recommend that ALL equipment used be approved by the AMA and sanctioned by them for the use that it is intended for. We also recommend that ALL model aircraft be tested by the AMA standards and in conjunction with ALL AMA rules and guidelines this is to include, but not limited to, a pull test and the use of a control handle thong to secure the handle to the pilot.

All entries must contain:
Name
address
Type and name of engine used
date of flight
flight time/speed
optional photo
« Last Edit: September 24, 2007, 06:43:07 AM by LARRY RICE »

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: NEW AMERICAN PERKY POSTAL CONTEST
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2007, 07:52:59 AM »
Line size suggestion:

I'm a veteran of only one summer of Perky action, but several decades of F2d (FAI combat).

A healthy Perky has about the same weight and power of an F2d.  In the past (circa 1983) we had so much breakage of .012" lines that a lot of flyers voluntarily stepped up to .015" even before the rules-makers made it official.

I feel a quite a bit unsafe flying Perky on .012's but I don't want to take the handicap of oversize lines.

I would suggest and request that postal contests (yet to begin) mandate .015's.  I addition to a major increase in strength, it will also carry some decrease is speed, which won't be a bad thing for the pilots.

ps: Clown Racers (also similar to Perky'd specs) go like crazy on .015 x 52.5 lines.
pps: We are thinking of adding Perky and Clown to our 2008 contest menu.  It would be nice to use the same lines, and feel equally safe.
Paul Smith

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2007, 09:38:00 AM »
           I am flexable on the line size but I would like to hear from more people on this before I make any changes. I do not understand how a different line size would handicap you in a postal event. I am also hesitant to change it because that might limit those who compete in other Perky events from competing in ours.
Larry  ???

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2007, 10:13:29 AM »
In any speed contest, thinner lines will give a higher speed, but maybe at the price of safety.  Thus, everybody needs to use the same size.

In other events using high-powered .15's, the organizers have gone with .015" minimum.   As I said, F2d and Clown Racing have opted for .015" lines, and I would hope that Perky Speed goes along with that precedent.

AMA guidelines for "unofficial" or "non-rule book" events ask that safety be "no less than similar events".   So as I see it, .012 would, in fact, be less safe than similar events.

As the maker of the kits, writer of the rules, and promoter of the contest, you would be on a treble hook if anything went wrong.  Better safe than sorry.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2007, 11:26:22 AM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2007, 12:54:42 PM »
I don't disagree with anything Paul has said here.  I think that the disconnect is that no one would have envisioned a Perky with an open face Nelson 15 in it--or a current Fora or hopped up CS, etc.

Larry:  I would contact Bill Hughes or one of the NASS guys about the structural requirements for these planes.  If they start going much over 80-90 MPH, they might need to go to .015's like Paul said.

This can be discouraged from the start by NOT offering prizes for the fastest times--just the averages like the postal events.  The other thing that could be considered is to not allow posting of break-uot flights  ie over xx MPH. 

The Perky is a VINTAGE design--it was set-up for ignition engines for crying out loud.

Flying one flat-out with a current .15 is probably not safe--unless the pull testing can ease the concern.

Lets make sure it doesn't start requireing cutoffs, mag pans, pipes etc.

Lager lines are a good way to control the top end and it is well recognized method in the speed community.

But again, I would contact the NASS for recommendations.

FWIW

Curt

Offline Bob Riegl

• Ensign
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2007, 03:23:42 PM »
 S?P The only sticker with the rules I have is the line size of .012, I think with a FISE .15 diesel the speeds might reach 85+mph and I feel queasy about the safety factor. I would rather err on the .015 line side than be regretful on the .012 side with a nice plane going off into the yonder. Additionally I would also opt for the stranded line---this is only because I have seen some rather quick Clown racers in recent times whose speeds were in xs. of 140mph. The Perky is a true speedster before the days of dollies etc., and I believe the design specially with die cut wood is going to be lighter than the original with planked and/or solid wings. Think twice on this subject before you set the rules in concrete IMHO.  8)
FLY
C

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2007, 04:40:05 PM »
One of the fellows that ordered a Perky kit is a NASS member I've asked him for a link to NASS. Also asked for rules. I should be able to have info.
I for one would like to stick to NASS rules.
I do like the idea of a Black Hawk sponsored Perky postal race. And January to July of '08 sounds like a good start.
We still have about 3 weeks before the Perkys end up in peoples hands and then at least a couple weeks before they get flown. That'll give plenty of time to get the rules.
Frank Carlisle

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2007, 06:25:26 PM »
Winner is the closest to the average time, in case of tie best time under average time wins.

This is one of the rules.....NOT THE FASTEST PLANE, the average speed!
I have herd several good ideas and the two I like so far is to limit the speed and use .015 lines.  I will wait on more input.

Larry

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 07:13:03 PM »
In any event, safety rules need to be set to the WORST CASE, not the expected average. 

In addition to Nelsons, there  are plenty of OPS, Rossi, and eastern bloc engines with names most of us don't know.   Suffice to say, 108 MPH is the highest speed claimed to date, and it will be broken on .012' lines for sure.  Probably on bigger lines as well.

These planes won't go as fast as an F2a or an AMA Class A, but they're not just a big ZigZag with a Black Widow.
Paul Smith

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: September 21, 2007, 10:00:31 PM »
OK! Here are the two changes that I would propose:
Flying Lines and leadouts be .015 braided steel lines.  y1
(Here is the one everyone will hate) No speed in excess of 90 mph will be excepted as an official entry.  ???

Well lets hear from you now....Please.  mw~
Larry

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #10 on: September 21, 2007, 11:05:37 PM »
Paul and all,

First,  the Perky Class will become dominated by all-out speed, for bragging rights, if nothing else.  (I flew a Cox Olympic Perky in the first Postal Contest and know that my next one will target 110MPH)  Safety is always an issue, and line characteristics should conform to AMA standards for CL Speed, based on a reasonable estimate of actual speed (timed average or true peak speed?), revised upward as speeds increase.

Stranded cable has got to go, replaced by ASTM music wire.  0.012 music wire just barely conforms with AMA requirements assuming a 24 Oz airplane and 110 MPH.  AMA calculated G on 52.5 ft lines is 20.3 G; times 1.10 (from AMA) is 22.33G.  Using AMA breaking strength data, 33.72 pounds is the maximum pull permitted for 0.012 lines, which is 1.51 pounds for the airplane.(which confirms the 24 ounce maximum airplane weight.  If pull test is rounded up to say 24G, maximum airplane weight drops to 22.5 ounces.

More tomorrow.

Will Stewart
William Stewart

Offline Bill Hughes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2007, 06:19:58 AM »
Well...I was asked for my input so here goes.... I agree, that the Flying Wire Diameter at .012 stranded is a little on the small side. An increase to .015 would not change the speeds much. But would increase the safety factors. Changing to Solid wires would only discorage "non-compeition flyer's". I would also recommend using the Control Line Speed AMA Spec. 10% Nitro Fuel.  The rule about requiring the Bellcrank to be mounted the the engines bearers is a tough one too. How can you prove that the BC is mounted the the engine bearers? Most of the models out there have the BC mounted to the Wing. I have only seen one model fail and that was due to a crash one the flight before. If correctly pull tested before each flight there should be no problem.
More thoughts later....
Bill Hughes

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2007, 09:46:09 AM »
The reason for the safety rule about attaching the bellcrank to the motor mounts:
           The 2 things that seem the most dangerous to me is 1- the lines break and allow the plane to hurl out of control into the spectators and 2- the plane breaks up and allows the engine to fly into the spectators. .015 lines should cure the first problem and even by 1946 speed fliers knew to attach the bellcrank to the motor mounts so that even if the plane came apart the motor would stay on the lines.
Larry

Offline Bill Hughes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #13 on: September 22, 2007, 10:25:36 AM »
Those two scenarios could possibly happen. But, how would you intend on policing that rule in a POSTAL CONTEST? Larger Dia Wires would cure the 1st problem. But, unless there is a tether line connecting the Bellcrank to the Engine like in F2D Combat, the engine could still come off as stated in our 2nd concern.

Also, in other events.. like any of the AMA events, there is not rule requiring that the Bellcrank be mounted to the engine bearers  (to my knowledge). Some of the C/L Racing models (profiles at that, with the BC mounted to the wing) fly much faster than a Perky. Those event events are flown at the same risk as Perky. Perky models do not go that fast. Most of them only weight in at 16-18 oz. not 24 oz as stated in another post. The heaviest that I know of is my old OPS power (the old OPS is a .21 case, so the engine is BIG) and it weights 20 oz.

At all of the "perky contests" over the past years only one model has gone over 100mph. That is of course Carl Dodge's Red Perky. There have been 2-3 others crack 90 mph. Most run between 60-80 mph. Which is not that fast.

Is the real worry that the Perky design from 1946 is not engineered well enough? In my opinion the model construction leaves a lot of room for improvement.

The rules that have been used for the past 7 years have worked pretty well...The only improvement I would recommend is possible a wire diameter increase from .012" to .015" keeping them 7 Strained Wire and a requirement to 10% Nitro Fuel (another tough rule to police in a Postal Event).

Anytime you create a contest, there are people who are going to put enough effort in to there model to make them run very well. This will turn off alot of the "sport flyers". It happens to every event that has come along. This is why the winner is "the best average speed". For the Go-fast guy's all of the contests have given out 4 awards. Best Average Speed, and Top Speed 1st-3rd.

This is a good discussion...

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #14 on: September 22, 2007, 11:36:57 AM »
ALL,

Continuing from last night.  First, did not mean to confuse anyone about airplane weight, the 24 Oz was a maximum model weight ala AMA calculations, as noted in the last sentence.

As for stranded lines, unless the latest AMA rules have changed it, the only racing event allowing multi strand lines is 1/2A mouse racing.  I see Combat uses stranded 0.015 so they are available.  The real safety issue is, as Bill Hughes says, not how the bellcrank is attached, but insuring that the airplane, lines and handle pass a reasonable pull test prior to flight.  I don't have any breaking strength information on stranded wire but note that AMA calls for a standard 25 pound pull test on 0.015 multi-strand in .15 Combat (This may have changed in latest rules), based on 60 foot lines and a four pound maximum aiplane weight.  (For the numbers to work in this class, a four pound airplane would only be pulled 6.25G, which is scary)  If AMA considers 0.015 multi-strand only good up to 25 pounds pull test and max Perky weight is 24 oz, this works out to only 16.7G (20G for a 20 oz airplane), way under AMA calculations.

Next step is for the advocates of multi-strand to provide breaking strength data similar to what is available from AMA for solid ASTM wires.

Will Stewart

William Stewart

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: September 22, 2007, 01:08:28 PM »
Bill,
          I have adjusted the rules and I am happy with where they are. As to policing a postal race You know that there is no such thing and so do I. If a person wishes to he could submit an entry and say he flew at 250 mph and not even own a plane. It all comes down to a matter of honor and the fact that the fastest speed will not get you a win.
Thanks for your assistance, I hope that you are satisfied with the new rules.
Larry

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: September 22, 2007, 01:25:17 PM »
Larry,

Reading the rules as presented in the first post, I'd strongly suggest adding "or larger diameter" after ".015" in your rules to cover the litigation averse, and add a reasonable preflight pull test for the same reason.  Trying to stay within AMA insurance coverage.

Will Stewart
William Stewart

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #17 on: September 22, 2007, 03:00:52 PM »
Along those lines, simply requiring a photocopy of an AMA card of the entrant to be attached could be good.  Then one has some help in the litigation sense in that the AMA safety rules requires certain precautions taken by the pilot--ie pull test.

Curt

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: September 23, 2007, 05:26:22 AM »
We have several decades of data from F2d that proves that .015" stranded lines are perfectly OK for this sort of application.

In the "golden age" when we could use big venturis, pressure systems, and all the nitro you could afford, the best could do was 120 MPH.  That was with 350 square inches of wing area and no wheels.

I consider the wing area vs landing gear something of a wash.  The target-weight of a Perky and an old F2d was the same, about 16 ounces.

Compared to the "old FAI", Perkys are already speed-limited by SUCTION FUEL SYSTEMS, which forces a small venturi.  I think a nitro limit would be a needless constraint and also a fatal rule for the owners of exisitng engines designed to use nitro. 
Paul Smith

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #19 on: September 23, 2007, 06:10:29 PM »
OK! This is starting to get stupid. It should be simple but now the lawyers are involved. God I hate all of this nonsense.
Larry
« Last Edit: September 23, 2007, 09:30:57 PM by LARRY RICE »

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #20 on: September 24, 2007, 07:41:11 AM »
Larry;

Ignore the latrine lawyers.  I'll bet none will build or post an entry in the postal contest.  I've built 3 so far using different engines.  Mine have been in the 65 to 75 mph range.

Tom Wilk 

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #21 on: September 24, 2007, 08:27:01 AM »
OK! This is starting to get stupid. It should be simple but now the lawyers are involved. God I hate all of this nonsense.
Larry

Well LArry you asked for input in this regard by indicating you were looking at changing the rules.

And as far as the latrine lawyers comment, anyone with a business in today's (mainly US) society better be watching their back.  If you've never been through a product based liability action, then you don't have a CLUE of how stupid it can really get.

That is All..

Curt

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #22 on: September 24, 2007, 11:36:17 AM »
Hi Tom,

Missed your name on Bob Langelius' Perky Postal summary.  My official time was listed as a woeful 70.29 with a Cox Olympic .15. 

While I'm not an attorney, latrine or otherwise, I have testified  under oath in a deposition, involving a Dynajet ship into the crowd at an airshow held at Mercer County airport, Trenton N.J, in Sept 1959.  Even tho the plaintiff's lawyer was a dim bulb and the suit of the lady, whose arm was brushed by model shrapnel, was dropped,  I'd like to spare you the experience since it was no fun.  (My ship, MagnaModel Jet-someone else's engine and the pilot's lines which broke at the handle). 

Do as you see fit, but my flights will be preceeded by a witnessed pull test.

Cheers,   Will Stewart

William Stewart

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #23 on: September 24, 2007, 12:38:21 PM »
to all;

I'm not a lawter - latrine or otherwise but i have competed at St. Louis with perky's.  my plane was subjected to the pull test required and we used the fuel supplied - except when i flew a diesel.  all i will say is that i helped bring down the average.

Tom Wilk S?P S?P

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
« Reply #24 on: September 24, 2007, 05:02:29 PM »
OK GUYS THIS IS AS CLOSE AS I HAVE COME TO ZAPPING A POST. I BELIEVE STRONGLY IN FREEDOM OF SPEACH BUT THAT CAN BE DONE WITH OUT ANY NAME CALLING . PLEASE KEEP IT CIVIL . JOEY A.M.A.#9806, N.A.S.S.#88
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: September 25, 2007, 05:56:02 AM »
I didn't see any personal attacks (maybe it was deleted), just a discussion of safety vis-a-vis line size.

Many of us buy our 7-strand corecable from McMaster Carr.  They list the breaking strength of .012, ,015, and .018 lines as 25, 40, and 55 pounds, with a warning not to use the breaking strength as the working load.

If you double these numbers, they all work.  However, as a "worst case scenario" you have to assume somebody (not me of course) might hang the model on one line (at least momentarily).  That would put the .012" right on the borderline of acceptable, based on a 25 pound total system pull test.

I understand the promoter has responded by going to .015, so the issue can be considered closed.  We're on track to hold Perky Speed, with .015" (or bigger) lines at our May contest.
Paul Smith

Offline frank carlisle

• 2013 Supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: September 30, 2007, 07:41:35 AM »
I've never paid much attention to events other than stunt although I've watched them all at one time or another.
Based on what I've read here the Perky if flown and powered according to the rules won't pose much of a threat in the hands of most pilots.
It appears that the Perky is an entry level speed model....That's me.
Frank Carlisle

Offline Bill Hughes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #27 on: September 30, 2007, 06:53:45 PM »
Someone..not I,  has requested that Perky be added to the list of events run during the AMA Nats as an Unoffical NASS Event. Well, it has been added to the AMA Nats Schedule for Wednesday being run with the other Proto Timed Events, F-40 and .21 Proto. To do this, NASS will be looking at the Flying Wire requirements as stated in the AMA Rule Book. We will have the NASS Perky Rules posted as soon as possible.
Regards,
Bill Hughes

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here