News:

• May 02, 2024, 12:28:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Jet FUEL  (Read 952 times)

Offline Greg Settle

• Trade Count: (0)
  • New Pilot
Jet FUEL
« on: July 25, 2009, 06:07:59 PM »
The time has come to rethink what the C/L speed JET fliers use for fuel! Red Max is no longer going to supply 20% prop x80% methanol! I can understand WHY as I shoped the internet briefly & found prop to cost $154.54 per liter + shipping ++++ HAZMAT FEES! Granted this was the LAB GRADE STUFF- 98% pure BUT STILL an indicate of the cost of commercial stuff!!!
 Doc Davis & myself, use to use 20% Nitromethane + 80% methanol to practice with & found that it took 2 jet sizes larger- started ok & was about 2 M.P.H. SLOWER than the prop mix!
 I am here also to announce that the Denver contest on Labor Day WILL BE SUPPLTING (20%NITROMETHANE x 80%METHANOL) FUEL FOR ALL JET FLIGHTS AT THIS CONTEST!                                 Greg L. Settle  E.D. C/L SPEED

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
Re: Jet FUEL
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2009, 07:24:42 PM »
 thanks for posting this info Greg it is much better to be proactive than reactive. please let us know how this works out for you. did you have to get permission from anyone to run this mix as it looks like we will have to go to this mix for the remaining contests in whitter narrows this year?
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2009, 09:45:36 AM »
In the past, they just ran white gas in the jets.  Is that not possible today?

I have no intention of ever flying the event, but I wonder why you would legislate standard fuels that are both expensive and near-impossible to obtain.

Maybe with a cheap fuel you would be able to reduce the line diameter back to where they still go 200 MPH.
Paul Smith

Offline Patrick Hempel

• Lieutenant
  • Genes Jet
    • DMAA web site
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2009, 12:53:10 PM »
Hi,

I sent AMA a jet fuel proposal change back in March 2009, They seemed to have never received it, I asked about it when I was there at the Nats.
I should have emailed it, OK.
I sent out a draft to some jet flyers to get there opinion on the change before emailing it this time, got a lot of good responses back, no one seemed to disagree.
I called my supplier FHS last week they can't get the prop. Anymore, but can get the nitro.
Called my local hobby shop Mikes and the guy said the fuel guy was not in but they don't have nitro on the self.
Should there be a concern about getting the nitro? Before proceeding.
If we cant get the nitro then what?
Would this be considered an Urgent/Safety/Emergency Proposal?

If nitro is used, There may be a need to change the entire period timing  to at least two (2) laps for jet. Due to current tank size, don’t want to change the tank size, model or engine any if at all possible.

This should work you think.

Patrick
Patrick Hempel

Offline Jim Rhoades

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: July 29, 2009, 03:59:32 PM »
In the past, they just ran white gas in the jets.  Is that not possible today?

I have no intention of ever flying the event, but I wonder why you would legislate standard fuels that are both expensive and near-impossible to obtain.

Maybe with a cheap fuel you would be able to reduce the line diameter back to where they still go 200 MPH.
/quote]

Paul,

Yes it is possible to run white gas today but definitely not desirable except from a cost basis.  White gas has a very narrow combustion range making it totally unuseable in other than an upright jet model.  It would not work at all on a sidewinder like over 50% of current Sport Jets or about 90% of current Fast Jets.  It would kill the events if this large percentage of current models were obsoleted by such a fuel change.

The current alky/prop mix and presumably the alky/nitro mix give the needed broad combustion ratio.
Jim Rhoades

Offline dankar

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2009, 08:40:07 PM »
I have a case of red Max jet fuel. 4 quart bottles. 20%prop./ 80% alky. Local Tucson $25.00 for case. I will not ship.
dan

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here