News:

• April 27, 2024, 08:22:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: ignition fuel tank  (Read 505 times)

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
ignition fuel tank
« on: May 15, 2007, 01:56:49 PM »
i'm building a Buzz for an O&R 60 ignition.  what size tank should i make for gas and oil and alky and castor.

Tom Wilk

Offline dynasoar1948

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: ignition fuel tank
« Reply #1 on: May 17, 2007, 09:05:51 AM »
Tom,

My first AMA official as a Junior, was with a sideport ignition Ohlsson 60 powered PDQ Sr, thin wing, no landing gear, on gas and oil fuel.  The fuel tank was a Hillcrest transparent plastic wedge with volume about the same as the original Ohlsson tank.  Held enough for several timings- maybe 25 laps.

Next contest, when the older contestants saw that I was serious, I was given some "hot" fuel to try.  The engine would not run on it, so it was back to the gas and oil (probably with some residual methanol/castor in the tank) fo a faster official- somewhere around 80 MPH.  Prop was a 10/10 Scamper.

The problem was the Ohlsson spraybar not passing enough methanol fuel.
With my hand drill and a piece of music wire, I drilled a second hole, using the original hole as a guide, did some test runs on the ground with hot fuel developing surprising power, and flew the ship, with dope dissolving, plastic tank shriveling and the motor mounts beginning to come loose in its last contest.  Mid to high 80s. The tank only held enough hot fuel for a single timing, which was OK with me since the engine was getting ready to depart along with its Ambroid cemented mounts.

At this point, I traded the outfit for a new Arden !9 and was off to the races.  The Ohlsson ship, with Weldwood glued mounts and Plasticote fuel proofer was flown the next season, on Glo plug, by another Jr.  I later traded for the engine, and still have it.

William Stewart

Advertise Here

Advertise Here