News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:54:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Hornet 60  (Read 2008 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Hornet 60
« on: June 16, 2015, 12:57:23 PM »
Hello,
I have just taken delivery of a Hornet 60. I shall fettle it over winter for some vintage speed. The rear intake has a screw in jet one side and the other has the remains of a needle valve, about 1/2inch of thread and about 1/8inch of taper. Being lazy, anyone know the thread size on the needle and I assume the taper is probably about 3/8 to 1/2inch long, before it became vandalised?
Now to show my complete ignorance. The rather nice brass venturi is screwed into the back plate, however below the nice flare. there is an oblong brass piece that has the jet one side and the NV the other. Here is the rub, you cannot unscrew the venturi, because this oblong chunk of brass hits the centre casting extension which holds the disc shaft. Ok, I cannot see any joint on the brass venturi, i.e. the oblong was fitted (shrunk, silver soldered etc). It all looks machined from the solid. So how did the venturi get screwed into the back plate?
I am quite happy if you want to make a fool of me, there must be a simple answer!

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
Re: Hornet 60
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2015, 03:24:14 PM »
OK, I have got it figured! The block and the venturi are separate items. They are held together by the needle valve and the spigot on the other side. Dismantle the NV and spigot and the block becomes loose and then you can unscrew the venturi.
I still would not mind finding out the thread on the NV, I have thread gauges but the eyesight seems to be failing me!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Carl Cisneros

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2015, 06:16:12 PM »
Andrew

possibly 2-56?

can yo upost a picture at all with some thing for a size comparison? like a dime or penny perhaps.
Carl R Cisneros, Dist IV
Control Line RB

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 21, 2015, 09:58:27 AM »
Hello Carl,
I will try to upload a picture, It usually takes me some time!

Thanks,

Andrew.  n
BMFA Number 64862

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2015, 02:14:25 PM »
Just digressing slightly - Dick Roberts, who writes the "Enginear" column in "SAM 35 Speaks" has a couple of Hornet 60's to be tested. Mine is a rather "loose" bulge bypass, Peter Fox's is a not so loose (maybe new or unrun) std. engine.
I'll post the results when we get them.
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here