News:

• April 27, 2024, 03:45:29 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fresh Meat  (Read 893 times)

Offline captcurt

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Fresh Meat
« on: June 12, 2007, 07:32:39 AM »
Gentlemen:  (and Ladies too)

I am a reasonably competant Stunt guy. experienced builder and machinist.  There are a couple of us up here in the Detroit area with some interest in speed, particualrly Jet.  I'm in the process of building a Perky but know that it is pretty far off the Jet environment.

I've prowled around the speed circles at Nats and talked some with Barry here in town so know a little--also have some back issues of speed times and other articles.

Question is, should there be a progression of entry into jet, or does one just jump in and build one first--if so, what platform.  I understand there are some limited kits etc being done.

Not sure we have a pylon at Rouge Park or not--no fence though.  I think there was a pylon at Flint Broome but not sure it is usable now, I know Dayton, and now Akron is available--anywhere else in the area  of Detroit?

Last question is the PJ itself.  Friend has an old Dyna.  Should we spend time with that, or perhaps look at one of the new ones from Jet Bill??  Are his legal for sport jet?

Anyway, thanks, and look forward to some flights that are FAST and level for a change! ;)

Curt
Livonia, MI

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
Re: Fresh Meat
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2007, 08:26:25 AM »
your Dynajet is still being used.  any on the later models will work.  Jet Bill's sport jets made their debut at Dayton this weekend.  the latest model is TARFU. it was in Speed Times (the NASS newsletter).

contact me at;  tawilk36@cpinternet.com   

Offline jetbill40

• The fast one
  • Ensign
    • jetbill products
« Reply #2 on: June 12, 2007, 10:05:15 AM »
Yes my engine debuted at Dayton and out in Cali. Yes it is sport jet legal. Dave Cotton turned a 150+ using my engine with more to go and Will out in Cali turned a 147 so yes they are kicking Dynas butts.   JB
William Capinjola

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: June 12, 2007, 06:43:11 PM »
Curt,

Sport-Jet is the best beginning speed class (other than Perky) for someone with CL skills.  This class does not require the time investment or learning curve of the serious recip speed classes.  You will need a spark ignition source and an air tank, or someone to run a tire pump.  Starting a sport jet is instant, but noisy.  One point to consider from a safety angle, where there is no enclosure to fly speed in, is the potential (and in my view) serious danger to bystanders of a takeoff dolly.  Jets move fast, and a dolly can travel quite a distance after separation.  Underwing skids make it easy to take off without a dolly, both on present short lines as well as possible longer lines.
A stock DynaJet will get you going just fine, but I believe you will need a new Jet Bill, or old Bailey sport engine for serious contest work.

Practice on the pylon with your Perky, using lines shortened so you cover 10 lap in, say, 18 seconds or less.  Build an upright airplane which does not need a dolly, and you'll be on your way.  Good luck.

Will Stewart
William Stewart

Offline Thomas Wilk

• Commander
    • Tom Wilk's old mag plans on CD
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2007, 06:39:12 AM »
last weekend at Dayton this was the results in NASS sport jet

1. Dave Cotton - Jet Bill's new green sport jet -  150.07
2. Dave Mark - Bailey sport jet - 141.90
3. Glenn Lee - Dynajet - 139.16

Tom Wilk

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 01, 2007, 09:02:57 PM »
Jets were flown off the Rouge Park circle in a past millenium.  The pylon was only needed for contests.  I would suspect that Barry Tippett is holding it now.

No need for a cage.  It's forest on two sides, a hill on one side, a just combat flyers on the other.

Having crewed jets there before, both speed and scale, the protocal is for the timid to retreat behind the big oak.

Getting the "Model A" spark coil was a problem 40 years ago, it can't be getting any easier.
Paul Smith

Offline Robert Bolton

• Lieutenant
    • Noclass Mac
« Reply #6 on: August 01, 2007, 10:09:00 PM »
Ive picked up a few model t coils on the dreaded Ebay for about $5 each  costs more for postage too NZ. Very easy too use and seems to be very reliable..

Robert

Offline captcurt

• Commander
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2007, 04:58:51 PM »
Cattle prods or piezo igniters!

OR

Pretty much ANY old ignition coil could be made to work.

Curt

Alan Hahn

« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2007, 06:40:37 PM »
At the Treetown meeting this week, Glenn Lee was transfering some Pulse Jet Stuff to Rich Tupper. :!

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here