News:

• May 01, 2024, 01:38:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Expected RPM for a McCy 60 series 20?  (Read 4052 times)

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Expected RPM for a McCy 60 series 20?
« on: August 19, 2014, 01:08:24 PM »
Hello Everyone.
I have been advised that something like a Rev Up 9x12 prop would be a god starting point for a McCoy 60 series 20. Can anyone tell me what sort of RPM will this make on the ground (and perhaps a guess as to in the air?).
I suppose what I am really asking is what RPM to set on the ground so that I get the maximum revs in the air? When I last flew speed near 50 years ago, I wasn't too good at setting the needle and I don't suppose I have got any better in the intervening years! So any info to get me near the right ground revs would be much appreciated. There are not many place that I can fly vintage speed and those few places will only give me a few flights per session, so the nearer I get first time , the better.

Thanks,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
Re: Expected RPM for a McCy 60 series 20?
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2014, 03:07:54 PM »
Hello again,
The only review of the McCoy 60 series 20 that I have been able to find says that it peaks at around 16,000 RPM so I would guess that launch RPM would be around 14.500? Any suggestions gratefully received, as I don't want to fry my nice shiny Mac on its first flight.

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2014, 06:06:56 PM »
The flights we did last year were on a rev up wood speed prop 8x 9  using 10% nitro set a little rich on the ground. the great thing about using hard tanks is the repeatability. never did put a tac on it.
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline rustler

• Captain
« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2014, 01:44:51 PM »
The flights we did last year were on a rev up wood speed prop 8x 9  using 10% nitro set a little rich on the ground. the great thing about using hard tanks is the repeatability. never did put a tac on it.

Wow. A Mac 60 on an 8 x 9? We used to fly on 9 x 10. Mind you they were toothpicks.
What speeds were you getting? Presumably fibreglass or carbon fibre?
Mono/two lines?

Come to think of it, 8 x 9 was our preferred rat prop!
Ian Russell.
[I can remember the schedule o.k., the problem is remembering what was the last manoeuvre I just flew!].

Offline Bob Heywood

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2014, 01:50:23 PM »
I ran a narrow Rev-Up 9 x 12 on my McCoy -60- with a pen bladder and 60% nitro. The drill was to get the engine started and bring the needle to peak, back off a bit, lean to peak again and then back off rich just a little. The engine would unload in the air. I don't recall any particular problems. The McCoy is a pretty tolerant engine. I never did put a tach on it. I always started it by hand using 10% as a prime fuel.
"Clockwise Forever..."

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2014, 06:28:11 AM »
Back in the day you could not buy a $20 photo tach.

I think the few tachs in use were $300 precision instruments that had to engage the prop hub - with an adapter you had to make yourself.
Paul Smith

Offline Andrew Tinsley

• Admiral
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2014, 07:20:43 AM »
Hi Paul,
I still have one of the old mechanical tachs somewhere. You only had to put it on an engine and you could hear the revs drop way off! Not really much good, now why haven't I thrown the tach away, I suppose that it might come in useful someday! Probably go in the dumpster when I shake off the mortal coil. The kids will have a field day with most other flying bits and pieces going in the same place!

Regards,

Andrew.
BMFA Number 64862

Offline FLOYD CARTER

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • owner
« Reply #7 on: June 07, 2015, 12:04:48 PM »
The simplest tach was the resonant reed ("Vibra-tach")?  Non-contact, but for accuracy, they had to be calibrated.  That was difficult because I had to use a high power audio amplifier, loudspeaker, audio signal generator and a frequency counter. 

Floyd
89 years, but still going (sort of)
AMA #796  SAM #188  LSF #020

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2015, 06:23:24 AM »
I still have a OS multi-rod tach.  You held it against the mount and one rod vibrated, indicating the RPM.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here