News:

• April 27, 2024, 01:59:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Entry Level  (Read 1211 times)

Offline Bill Gruby

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Entry Level
« on: August 27, 2008, 03:46:50 AM »
 Is there an entry level, ie starting point for this event or does the new guy have to take his licks running with the "Big Dogs" so to speak? This is not a rules question, this is a where the heck do I start question. I would like to give it a try.

"Billy G"  H^^
« Last Edit: August 27, 2008, 12:59:39 PM by Bill Gruby »
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
Re: Entry Level
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2008, 01:58:03 PM »
Billy,

Give us an idea of your background.  Do you already fly control line?  Have you successfully flown CL ships of your own design?  How comfortable are you with engines?

If your answers to the above are "a little", then I believe that a good starting point would be a simple, small  upright "profile" with as hot a .21 as you can afford- starting with landing gear to eliminate need to build a takeoff dolly at this time.  You could compete in Sport 21 Speed while developing your skills in flying and engine set-up.  You will have to develop capabilities in soldering a tank, and fabricating and maintaining control lines early, tho you might be able to buy these items pre assembled. 

Go to the Speed Forum and the NASS website for more info.  There are lots of speed flyers that would scan plans for a beginning speed profile for you.

Do you live near where contests are held?

Speed flying is super exciting and challenging; best of luck.

Will Stewart
William Stewart

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2008, 06:45:43 PM »
i would have to say sport jet is a good starting place. the 21 sport event is not a entry level event anymore. maybe try perky or some vintage b speed. but 21 will cost you as Will has stated. being the machnist that you are i am sure that you will have no trouble getting started. 
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2008, 12:38:54 AM »
 Thank you both, as for my background I have been flying c/l for the past 50 years on and off. I have been scratch building for the past 15 years or so. I have fabricated just about any parts I have ever needed for 30 years. Joey I like the "Vintage Speed" idea, this is what I have been thinking about.
 I joined the C/L Speed forum the other day and have been watching very close. I am a little reluctant to post there because of my limited knowledge of what is discussed there. I didn't want to put anyone off with with my entry level questions. I will keep looking.
 Again thanks.

"Billy G"  H^^
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2008, 05:32:20 AM »
there is a guy that lives back in va. that is a member of the brotherhood of the ring that you also belong to  that will help you. he was the one that built the planes for me to crash while learning to fly monoline. billy try your fox 29 in a K twister  good flying plane  will go 140 to 160 mph that should have you spin dizzy. y1

Offline Bill Gruby

• Admiral
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2008, 06:42:26 AM »
 Hi Joey;
  I seem to remember the ole coot you are talking about. I talk to him about three times a week. We discussed the mating of the "Bathtub" with a "Pink Lady". Instead of catching the "Lady" in the "Bathtub" you will catch sight of the "Bathtub" in the "Lady".   LL~  Any thoughts about that option? Will, I want to hear more from you too.

"Billy G"   VD~ VD~ VD~
Bill Gruby
AMA 94433
MECA 5393-10

Offline dynasoar1948

• Commander
« Reply #6 on: August 28, 2008, 08:36:49 AM »
Billy and Joey,

I'm building myself a monoline trainer around a hot but beat up Atwood .49, using a C McCoy Invader aluminum wing and tail, to be ready to fly my beauty of a McCoy 49 engine (which I flew as a Sr. in 1952 at 138 on two lines) in a Vintage monoline C ship.  The trainer will have landing gear, and resemble the  profile ship that I had in mind to recommend to Billy.  Joey, you'll have to check it out for me at Whittier.  We can also try out my Jet Starter, on your Fast Jet, which will spray in fuel with the compressed air.  This might help with the priming./ starting situation.

I was tempted to suggest Sport-Jet to Billy as a good starting class, but didn't want to scare him off.  Other than the lines being too short at 60 feet for someone not used to turning that fast, it is really the fun class.

See you at Whittier,   Will
William Stewart

• Captain
« Reply #7 on: August 28, 2008, 05:25:01 PM »
yes gman the pink lady is a good flyier as is the kan twister the big wing really helps. the older planes suck they are like a rock on a string with them little wings when flying them if you get up to 25' hi on one side of circle you will hit the ground on the other side.that is how the falsehood about how hard it was to fly monoline came about. if you want to with modern day sidewinders you can trim them to where they are imposiable to hit the ground. very differant flying chareteristics in the old school and new school planes i have tried both and the laydown sidewinders are the cream of the crop.

• Captain
« Reply #8 on: August 28, 2008, 05:27:01 PM »
thats great will see you soon

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: August 28, 2008, 05:39:17 PM »
OK! I know that this is self serving but......there a lot of entry level, and guys who just want to try it out folks flying the Perky. The catch is you should like to build. For those not into that muck building there is the British speed plane Phantom. Yes, I make them both.
WWW.BLACKHAWKMODELS.COM
LARRY

Willis Swindell

« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2008, 08:04:12 PM »
Sport speed started as a entry level speed event,  which worked great for about six months then it turned into another speed event. I imagine sport jet might have stared the same way.
willis
Joey as I write this I’m looking at your 1986 Fun 21 speed, as it was called then, Nat’s  trophy. S?P

Willis Swindell

« Reply #11 on: August 29, 2008, 08:30:54 PM »
You don’t even need a mono line unit to make a trainer. It’s not AMA legal but take a half A solid wing plane and hook the mono line wire directly to the wing tip and glue the elevator solid in neutral use 30 or 40 ft line to learn then shorten them up to simulate the speed you want. I don’t know if Joey remembers the .020 10 inch plane with 20 ft. lines we used to practice on.The twist of the wire moves the plane up and down.
Willis

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2008, 10:53:26 AM »
Bill Gruby
Except for you- I don't know of anyone within reasonable driving distance to me who has interest in speed - and there are no longer any contests held in Flushing.  I believe the Flushing speed crowd have moved on to tether cars since they have a track on Long Island. I lost interest in actively flying speed before even learning to fly monoline- but I would be interested to get together with you next time I'm down in your area to fly with Peter Hess at the Avon R/C field. Is there a site nearby where a speed model could be flown? Especially a jet? I pitted a Jet at Whittier Narrows a few times and it was a rush- but I can't imagine flying one any where down in Conn.

For equipment, have a monoline twist unit I can loan to you.- It has  the cast aluminum style grip, I think I bought it from Bill McGraw - last used when I was flying with Santo and I had a B speed. I wish I had the plane- it was styled with elliptical wing - like the Bob Lauderdale Dizzy Bee- it "mysteriously" disappeared from my home workshop when some repair man had to get into the garage to work on the garage door.  I couldn't prove anything- but I was ( and still am) heartbroken. My only proof it ever existed are a few photos. The engine was Tigre 29X RR with the Rossi B full pipe. Engine was setup by Nick Shur. Last flown at Whittier Narrows - best time was 186- with Revup 7-10 1/2, in the day before the 10% nitro limit was introduced.
I think I also have the "B" line wire, but it may not be legal length or size for todays rules - but OK for training. I also have a partly built duplicate of the "B" plane - with a DARP B pan which has not yet been prepped. I also have the Mousetrap style dolly. Do not have an appropriate B engine.

Other goodies I have include ST 15X RR with the Rossi pipe that has never been started or seen fuel- it might have also been built by Nick-in the day before the 10% nitro limit- and a DARP "A" pan that has never been fitted with an engine. I don't think the engine would be legal for the nostalgia speed event.
Lyle
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here