News:

• May 01, 2024, 09:21:49 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: D Speed Engine Choices  (Read 1617 times)

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
D Speed Engine Choices
« on: December 13, 2006, 10:02:05 PM »
I'd like to fly a bit of monoline speed again. Something with a mini-pipe would be ideal. So, it boils down to D, what with the monoline requirement. I looked for an OS a bit, when Ron Salo was still with us, but never came across one that he said was a good deal, at least not when I actually had the $  f~ up my pants.

Last month, when CLW came to my mailbox, I was surprised to read about a Nelson .65. I've actually seen/held one, but it had a different name on it, that of the guy that sponsored the first batch of 10, I think. Are they really available? How much $? Delivery time? Parts stocks? While on the subject, the CLW Speed article also said Nelsoni .29's were the bomb...pretty much the same questions. How fast would one go with a mini-pipe? I really liked B, back in the 1960's, (the G.65 I had was a POS)  plus I was a pretty skinny kid to hang onto a .65. Not so skinny anymore... **)  Steve
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

Offline Joey Mathison 9806

• Captain
Re: D Speed Engine Choices
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2006, 06:03:14 AM »
no the nelsons are not around any longer i don't think henry is going to make them any more your best bet is an ops from billy hughes he stocks them ans has parts . a 29 on a mini pipe 165 mph
200 mph man ama#9806 joey mathison

Offline Bill Hughes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2006, 02:03:33 PM »
I stock the OPS .29 with pipe $350.00. I have done 175mph with it. The OPS has been 2nd the past 2 years at the NATS. I also stock the OPS .65 for Class D speed $350.00.
I have only been out at one contest with it. 175 mph, (stock). But it shows that it should go much faster.
I can be reached at  williamhughes4@comcast.net
Bill Hughes

Offline Steve Helmick

• AMA Member and supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2006, 02:29:31 AM »
Thanks for your replies. I'll have to think on it. I got really bummed with Italian engines in the '60's. Too difficult to get parts, so couldn't fly as much as I'd have liked. I looked at the Planet Hobby/Rossi website today, and it didn't look like they actually had much in stock; not a big surprise. The .21 Proto event would be very cool, if monoline was allowed.  HB~> Steve

PS: The pic I posted above of me with the B Proto. This was my 3rd B Proto, an original design. I don't recall that I gave it a name, but I frequently did. It had a G.21 .29rv and did 133mph in 14 laps from a standing start, about a year behind NATS winning speeds. Pen bladder, TF 8-8 speed prop. Engine had a K&B .40rr venturi fitted to it, otherwise pretty stock. I guess this was '65 or '66. Mom took the picture, bless her heart.
"The United States has become a place where professional athletes and entertainers are mistaken for people of importance." - Robert Heinlein

In 1944 18-20 year old's stormed beaches, and parachuted behind enemy lines to almost certain death.  In 2015 18-20 year old's need safe zones so people don't hurt their feelings.

• Captain
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2006, 05:16:33 AM »
we now fly on contest supplied 10% fuel my 65 has won the nats for 4 years in a row now same everything, parts do not seem to wear out as often as with the hi nitro days.

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2007, 10:01:07 PM »
I just finished reorganizing my garage and unearthed my ST 15 RIRR with Rossi A pipe and DARP A pan- engine was never fitted to the pan or in an airplane or even bench run. -it was built in late 80's with ABC piston & liner  thus it  is setup for for high nitro fuel.
Is this engine  suitable/ competetive with today's technology?
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline Bill Hughes

• Lieutenant
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2007, 10:28:59 PM »
Lyle,
The engine you asked about...ST .15 is not competitive anymore in Class A Speed. Most everyone uses a F2A type engine and model with monoline control. Profi or Irvine engines are the type used.
The S.T. .15 could be used in Vintage Speed class that is being started up.
Bill

Offline Lyle Spiegel

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2007, 05:41:40 PM »
Bill
Thanks for response. Just to clearify- my engine is the X15 RR RI - not G series.
I bought it some time around 1986 - it was modified when I got it -similar to the setup that Nick Shur was using- it might have been set up by Nick- or perhaps George Brown- at that time I had hopes to build an A ship with help from Santo but it never came to reality. Maybe I will consider a "classic A speed - I have two additional 15X ST engines that are still factory new as far as I know- I think one has ABC piston & liner- other is steel piston.
Lyle
Lyle Spiegel AMA 19775

Offline John Barker

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2007, 12:05:12 AM »
Lyle:
  The vintage speed rules aren't finalized, but the engine cut-off date was to be 1964, no ABC or AAC or schneurle ports. Planes to match those flown up to 1964. Check with Tom or Steve Wilk on C/L Speed Forum for more info. Cheers!

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: February 01, 2007, 06:09:47 AM »
john he said classic not vintage.

• Captain
« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2007, 06:29:25 AM »
nely 65's

Offline John Barker

• New Pilot
« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2007, 01:27:21 AM »
JOEY,
   PARDON MY IGNORANCE ABOUT THE DEFINITION OF CLASSIC SPEED. I'VE BEEN OUT OF THE SPORT SINCE 1960 ( WENT CAR RACING AND CAN'T KEEP UP MONEYWISE ) SO I DECIDED TO TRY C/L SPEED AGAIN. I AM EXCITED ABOUT THE PROSPECT OF THE VINTAGE SPEEDSTERS BEING FLOWN AGAIN. SO TELL ME WHAT YOUR DEFINITION  FOR CLASSIC SPEED IS?  CARS AREN'T CLASSIC UNTIL THEY ARE 25 YEARS OLD.      CHEERS,  JOHN  BARKER       

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2007, 05:52:04 AM »
John the classic rules have yet to be wrote should vintage catch on i am hoping that we would have classic speed also much like the very popular stunt guys have done.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here