News:

• April 30, 2024, 09:06:24 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Perky Postal for 2015  (Read 9112 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Perky Postal for 2015
« on: July 24, 2015, 08:07:56 AM »
I have started a postal event for this year.

Please open the attached Excel spreadsheet.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 01:35:44 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Perky Postal for 2015
« Reply #1 on: July 24, 2015, 08:19:22 AM »
If you don't want to bother with the whole document, here's the quick-and-dirty,.

Place    Name     Speed    Event
1   Al Ferraro       111.8       Brodak
2   Peter Lott       106.5       Brodak
3   C.T. Schaefer      105.0    Brodak
4   Bill Hughes      101.9           Nats
5   Carl Dodge        99.9           Nats
6   Bob Whitney   98.1           Brodak
7   Dave Hallas    96.5           Brodak
8   Paul Smith        95.7           Brodak
9   Patrick Hempel    90.0    Nats
10   John Moll          88.64     Nats
11   Dave Evar           83.7            Brodak
12   Price Reese    82.2    Brodak
13   Don Sopka            69.3    Brodak
14   Ken Towers    63.2    Brodak

The event is open until November 15, 2015.  Please submit any improvements.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:36:50 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #2 on: July 24, 2015, 04:46:38 PM »
 #^ #^ Paul!!  Paul!!  Thank you!!  This is great!! ;D Can I "play"??   ???  I built mine but I've had no occasion to really use them until now.  So if I'm allowed to "play", I'm assuming the requirements will essentially be the same as published for Brodak:

Models, engines, lines, pull test and fuel will be  per NASS Perky rules or Brodak Clown Race rules.
Lines must be .015 minimum stranded. Line length is 52' +/- 6" measured from the center of the plane to; the center of the handle.
Fuel will contain no more than 10% (by volume) nitro-methane and have a minimum 20 % oil (by volume) with the remaining being methanol.
A contestant may submit up to three 16-laps scores using one or more models.
An airframe and/or engine may be used by one contestant only.
Any flight that completes 16 laps from a standing start will result in an official score.
Scores will be posted in MPH to the tenth, computed by dividing the seconds into 3600.

Will any other documentation other than type or engine, i.e. photos or videos of the plane/flight be required?  Once I have completed my flight, am I to enter my data onto the spreadsheet you've so graciously provided and send it back to you or just enter it on this thread?  I really look forward to your reply.  Thanks in advance!!   :D

Jim Carter

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: July 24, 2015, 05:25:51 PM »
No problem.  Just do 16 laps from a standing start and submit your data.

The line length is 52'-6" minimum with no negative tolerance.  I'll take your word on the 10% nitro.

I just checked the NASS site.   

9. The flying wires shall be 52’6’’ in length as measured from the center line of the fuselage to the center of the grip on the control handle. Only 2 wire control systems allowed.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2015, 09:34:10 PM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2015, 10:50:53 AM »
I just did 115 in my back yard does that count?

MM

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2015, 11:54:03 AM »
I just did 115 in my back yard does that count?

MM

Sure.  All postal events involve the HONOR SYSTEM.  You did what you say you did.
Paul Smith

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #6 on: July 25, 2015, 07:27:35 PM »
Remember. Perky rules specify .014 solid lines only. That is the World Standard.  We would like some of that backyard air!!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2015, 09:00:11 AM »
 :(  Doggon'it!!  I searched EBay "American Wire Products" and I haven't found any dadgum .014" solid wires  :( Looks like this is gonna' be a show stopper for me .... I've got some 7 strand, 52' and some Spectra 52' but no .014" solids!! :'(   I found some on the Brodak site for about $27 delivered to my door but at 66, on fixed income and the wife doing what she can to stretch the pennies daily, at this point in time, I just can't justify spending for something I'd probably never use again.  Besides, I'm only using a stock Fox.15 and OS .15 that I've had in my cubby hole for nearly 30 years!!  Oh well, ain't no need cheatin' if the rules call out for .014" solids.  Sorry, it would have been fun to see how low I would have placed and skewed the really fast times :-\ !

Jim

Offline Charlie Johnson

• New Pilot
« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2015, 09:49:07 AM »
http://www.mbsmodelsupply.com/Catalog.pdf   A set of .014 solid 60's goes for $5.10 from Melvin.
MBS has everything you need to fly your Perky or any other control line event.  Shipping is actual cost
and you pay sales tax only if you live in Kansas.

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2015, 11:29:37 AM »
Remember. Perky rules specify .014 solid lines only. That is the World Standard.  We would like some of that backyard air!!

Won't find any in the backyard! It's all behind the monitor! And it's all hot! LL~ LL~ LL~
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2015, 03:39:08 PM »
http://www.mbsmodelsupply.com/Catalog.pdf   A set of .014 solid 60's goes for $5.10 from Melvin.
MBS has everything you need to fly your Perky or any other control line event.  Shipping is actual cost
and you pay sales tax only if you live in Kansas.
Hey thanks Charlie!  Very kind of you!  I've bookmarked this page!  Now to sweet talk the wife!!   :)

Offline Motorman

• Admiral
« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2015, 10:33:07 PM »
lol I was just yankin' Als chain, I don't even have a Perky.

MM

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2015, 05:28:13 AM »
Yes. We know. Why not build one. We will put it in our sanction next year. :!

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2015, 02:37:06 PM »
 ;)  I LOVE MY WIFE!!  That sweet little woman gave me permission to get a couple sets of the .014 solid lines and some thimbles so I can make up a couple sets of lines for my Perkys.  I ordered the supplies from MBS as recommended and I was treated very kindly and patiently.  I am very pleased with the service and support and I received the lines just a few days later.  Now to get busy and rig them up for flying!!   ;D

Jim

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2015, 10:15:00 AM »
I don't like the crimped thimbles.  I like to use the old copper wire and solder method.   I neutralize the flex with baking soda and water, then get rid of the water with WD-40.

In any case, comply with the 52'-6" minimum.  This is SPEED, not combat or racing.
Paul Smith

Offline don Burke

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: August 07, 2015, 11:33:34 AM »
Since soldering the wraps is only to prevent the wrap from unraveling I've started to use CA glue instead.  IMO, it doesn't stress the wire like soldering.
don Burke AMA 843
Menifee, CA

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #16 on: August 07, 2015, 01:17:37 PM »
Do what you wanna do.  It's your lines.  But I don't condone crimped tubes, except maybe for combat lines with a life expectancy of four minutes.

I have made lines with copper wire wrapping with solder, Hot Stuff, epoxy, hot melt, bath tub sealer, and heat shrink tubing.  They ALL work better than crimped tubes.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #17 on: August 13, 2015, 09:50:11 AM »
 ??? Okay, well, I did it .... I made up a set of those solids like y'all say I "gott'a" have 'ta be legal  :-\ .  I followed the instruction according to the AMA rule book and the video Fred Cronenwett (sp??) posted on YouTube.  Guy's, I gott'a be honest, in my heart, I don't like 'em ... I'm uncomfortable!!  They just don't seem all that safe.  Even with the twice around the thimble, the wrapping with the Sig copper wire and the soldering and cleaning while that area is strong enough, all it takes is an accidental bend/kink where the solder ends and "bingo" the line breaks and that's all she wrote!!  At least using the .015 or .018 cable there's a good probability of being able to detect a couple of broken strands ahead of time.  I looked at all the categories listed in the NCLRA and none of them are restricted to solids and unless I'm missing something I believe many of their classes are faster than the majority of the Perkys, aren't they?  (jus' askin' cause I'm not sure).  Is there something I'm missing with regards to the rationale for the restriction to solids only?

Jim

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #18 on: August 13, 2015, 12:44:14 PM »
Frankly, I don't like the rules either. Over the years I have broken solids with painful results. Including last year at Brodak (up line. plane survived and placed 3rd this year) But, remember, this has nothing to do with NCLRA. AMA racing and speed require solids and, since this event and Fox speed are 'speed events' they are governed by those rules. So, if you want to play, you gotta go with the published rules. I use stranded lines for all practice flights.  ;)

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #19 on: August 13, 2015, 12:58:07 PM »

It is amazing to me ,these line sizes have been the same for at least 5 years

first off ,NCLRA is a RACING organization ,Not speed, ,that said they have two class's that require solids Rat and Scale racing, both with  over 120 speeds on a good airplane, they are both on .014 solid lines Plus F2C uses .014 solids again a good plane over 120 mph .Mouse 1 and 2 require .010 solids, .if u want to use braided u must go to .012 which is a big disadvantage.i don't know of anyone that uses them.

Speed, which i believe the Perky is ,requires solids in all class's

in all the years i  have been flying ( 62 years ). i have  only had one solid line failure and that was because the loops did not have a big enough radius and broke

i usually replace my lines every season but do have some that are over 2 years old and still work fine
rad racer

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #20 on: August 13, 2015, 05:14:57 PM »
Thanks C.T.!  Thanks Bob!  Yes, I understand the rules and don't get me wrong, I will comply!!  I'm just curious and seeking understanding and yes, even when I was in the military I sort'a build a reputation as a safety inspector for "beating the horse to death then flip'em over for another round" .... to me, the "way its always been" just isn't sufficient!!  We'd still be using carrier pigeons or party lines for communications, versus cell phones and computers.

Bob, C.T. and really anyone who can, based upon with your experiences, I'm guessing the use of solids came about because of some particular rationale, right?  Is it that they are safer than cable in some way? Are they stronger in tensile strength  i.e. .014 solid versus .015 stranded? Is there a slight gain/perceived gain in lap times thus mph? Now this may  sound silly but please tolerate me a bit longer .... what is the difference between speed and racing?  Is it because there's more than one person in the circle at a time?  If so, is it considered that stranded cable be the safer? If not why aren't the pilots allowed to use solids, again assuming there is some sort of lap/speed differential?

Granted, I don't have any fancy scientific equipment, just my analog South Bend 50# fishing scale and my bench vise, I just did a series of tests with some of the .014 solids that I had left over from making the lines for my Perky.  As a curiosity I made 5 different sizes "kinks", using my trusty old protractor (180, 140, 90, & 60 degrees) in the lines and any over 60 degrees failed (broke) somewhat easily after attempting to straighten them and in doing the same radius "kinks" bends in .015 stranded and attempting to straighten them I didn't have even one strand of the cable snap.  I really do wish I had access to some laboratory grade test equipment as this stuff was fun!!  :D

Jim

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #21 on: August 13, 2015, 05:45:36 PM »

it looks simple enough to me, Dont Kink them
rad racer

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #22 on: August 13, 2015, 05:57:38 PM »

it looks simple enough to me, Dont Kink them

Yeah .... guess you're right about dat'   LL~ LL~

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #23 on: August 14, 2015, 06:25:00 AM »
In reality, both solid and stranded lines can be damaged.  A proper pull test should protect you from in flight failure.

If you ever fly at a contest run by hard core speed flyers you will need the solid lines. 

They fly F2d on .015" (metric) stranded lines and subject them to a lot more stress than Perky Speed. Being that Perky is a special sport event you could make a case that .015" stranded is legal.  Of course you will be subjecting yourself to a little more frontal area and slightly lowering your score.

In the world of Speed, if they allowed solid or stranded of equal strength the stranded would be A LOT bigger.  So everybody would use solid.  That's the way it went.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #24 on: August 14, 2015, 07:08:34 AM »
Wow, thanks Paul, this is some good info!!  I didn't know about the F2d, that there's a difference in the lines, thanks.  I'm trying to put together some sort of intelligent data dealing with the solids vs stranded, vs the new hi tech fibers.  It'll probably be rejected, but with guys like you, Bob, C.T. and others, I've learned so much and I can never thank you guys enough.

Jim

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2015, 07:05:07 AM »
Any more Perky results?

If you have any scores besides the Brodak and Nats, please get them to me. 
Either through SH or via e mail.

crickballs01@aol.com
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #26 on: October 25, 2015, 12:34:04 PM »
I have updated my Excel spreadsheet to include St Louis in addition to Brodak and Muncie.

Please tell me your city & state and engine & engine position if I don't already have it.  Also, I could use some pictures in addition to those I took at The Brodak.

Also, any other events beyond the three I listed?
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #27 on: November 15, 2015, 03:39:25 PM »
If you don't want to bother with the whole document, here's the quick-and-dirty,.

Place    Name     Speed    Event
1   Al Ferraro       111.8       Brodak
2   Peter Lott       106.5       Brodak
3   C.T. Schaefer      105.0    Brodak
4   Bill Hughes      101.9           Nats
5   Carl Dodge        99.9           Nats
6   Bob Whitney   98.1           Brodak
7   Dave Hallas    96.5           Brodak
8   Paul Smith        95.7           Brodak
9   Patrick Hempel    90.0    Nats
10   John Moll          88.64     Nats
11   Dave Evar           83.7            Brodak
12   Price Reese    82.2    Brodak
13   Don Sopka            69.3    Brodak
14   Ken Towers    63.2    Brodak

The event is open until November 15, 2015.  Please submit any improvements.

Greetings Paul!  Well, I just back home and with the help of the wife I was able to get both of my Perky's in the air  :-\.  I'm a bit ashamed because I really thought I could get some better times but this is all I could get out of them today :-[.  Hope it's acceptable  :-\.  At least I tried and not to repair Perky 01  :'(.

Jim Carter (01)    61.3    Postal   Titusville   Florida   OS Max 15   vertical
Jim Carter (02)    64.2    Postal   Titusville   Florida   Fox 15   vertical

Offline C.T. Schaefer

• Captain
« Reply #28 on: November 15, 2015, 06:24:23 PM »
Dude, This has been a long running thread and it's really cool to see it taken to a conclusion. You built 'em and flew 'em both before the cut off. Congratulations!! You can always work on them to go faster.  TS   Pictures?

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #29 on: November 16, 2015, 07:20:49 AM »
Dude, This has been a long running thread and it's really cool to see it taken to a conclusion. You built 'em and flew 'em both before the cut off. Congratulations!! You can always work on them to go faster.  TS   Pictures?
Thanks!  I wanted to get these flights in much sooner but "life" kept getting in the way :-\.  Thankfully 01 will be ready to fly in a couple of days and then I'll probably sell both of them because there's no activity close by (less than 200 miles) and none of the guys I fly with are interested  :(.

JC

Offline GregArdill

• Commander
« Reply #30 on: November 21, 2015, 04:08:19 AM »
Thanks C.T.!  Thanks Bob!  Yes, I understand the rules and don't get me wrong, I will comply!!  I'm just curious and seeking understanding and yes, even when I was in the military I sort'a build a reputation as a safety inspector for "beating the horse to death then flip'em over for another round" .... to me, the "way its always been" just isn't sufficient!!  We'd still be using carrier pigeons or party lines for communications, versus cell phones and computers.

Bob, C.T. and really anyone who can, based upon with your experiences, I'm guessing the use of solids came about because of some particular rationale, right?  Is it that they are safer than cable in some way? Are they stronger in tensile strength  i.e. .014 solid versus .015 stranded? Is there a slight gain/perceived gain in lap times thus mph? Now this may  sound silly but please tolerate me a bit longer .... what is the difference between speed and racing?  Is it because there's more than one person in the circle at a time?  If so, is it considered that stranded cable be the safer? If not why aren't the pilots allowed to use solids, again assuming there is some sort of lap/speed differential?

Granted, I don't have any fancy scientific equipment, just my analog South Bend 50# fishing scale and my bench vise, I just did a series of tests with some of the .014 solids that I had left over from making the lines for my Perky.  As a curiosity I made 5 different sizes "kinks", using my trusty old protractor (180, 140, 90, & 60 degrees) in the lines and any over 60 degrees failed (broke) somewhat easily after attempting to straighten them and in doing the same radius "kinks" bends in .015 stranded and attempting to straighten them I didn't have even one strand of the cable snap.  I really do wish I had access to some laboratory grade test equipment as this stuff was fun!!  :D

Jim
A little off topic but the question of tensile strength of lines was discussed over on the Barton CL Forum some years ago - my memory of it is a bit sketchy now but if you want to read up on it here's the link:
http://controlline.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=8437&highlight=line+tests

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #31 on: November 21, 2015, 08:06:28 AM »
Kool!  Very interesting.  Thanks  :)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #32 on: November 23, 2015, 07:00:40 AM »
How did it crash?

My guess is a torque roll on takeoff.

With only a 18" wingspan (9 on each side) these things need more tip weight than you might guess.  When you pick up the Perky by the nose cone and tail you want to see the outboard wing go down with gusto.
Paul Smith

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #33 on: November 23, 2015, 08:50:40 AM »
How did it crash?

My guess is a torque roll on takeoff.

With only a 18" wingspan (9 on each side) these things need more tip weight than you might guess.  When you pick up the Perky by the nose cone and tail you want to see the outboard wing go down with gusto.

Well, it could have been but we've flown it a few times before, generally it was hand launched because of the depth of the grass.  I probably would have done it over grass again except my wife can't do it and she was my helper. I was on a ratty old blacktopped surface and it's possible one of the lines snagged for an instant and it turned in towards me climbed into a wingover with lines somewhat slackened and .... into the ground!  I'm just thankful there wasn't any more damage.  I've got all the repairs made as I write this and I only have to re-cover the wings and mount the engine with a new spinner.  Unfortunately I don't have any of the transparent blue monokote left so I'll have to come up with another color scheme  :)

Jim

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #34 on: April 02, 2016, 07:32:04 AM »
 :D  Greetings everyone!  Please pardon the resurrection of the post but I was curious of the results for the event.  I think I missed them and couldn't find any other postings.  Also, will there be another postal event for 2016?  I hope so!!  #^

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #35 on: April 02, 2016, 10:52:38 AM »
I sent the results to Brodak in early February.  They should be in CLW within a month.
Paul Smith

Offline Ken Burdick

• Captain
« Reply #36 on: April 02, 2016, 11:00:58 AM »
When I first heard about Perky Postal, it made me think of "Liars Poker" you know, I have a flush, I have 4 of a kind and then someone calls you on it and you have to show. It might be fun to do that with Perky's maybe ignition only?

Just a thought.

K

Offline bob whitney

• Admiral
« Reply #37 on: April 02, 2016, 01:09:43 PM »
Diesel only
rad racer

Online Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #38 on: April 02, 2016, 07:11:25 PM »
               (it made me think of "Liars Poker" you know)
   Come to Brodak this year and witness the return of "THE WORLDS FASTEST PERKY"  y1
Maybe we should sell tickets   ;D
Al

Offline Jim Carter

• Admiral
« Reply #39 on: April 03, 2016, 09:31:18 AM »
               (it made me think of "Liars Poker" you know)
   Come to Brodak this year and witness the return of "THE WORLDS FASTEST PERKY"  y1
Maybe we should sell tickets   ;D
Al
LL~ LL~  Betcha' a "KFC Meal Deal"  'dat I can fly slower that you  ;D   LL~ LL~

Online Al Ferraro

• 24 supporter
  • Captain
« Reply #40 on: April 04, 2016, 11:52:34 AM »
( Betcha' a "KFC Meal Deal"  'dat I can fly slower that you )
 Ok , I'll accept 'dat bet. But I'll save you some $ %^@, just make it a hot dog from the Brodak wagon. They're delicious and only 50 cents  #^

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #41 on: April 04, 2016, 06:12:39 PM »
Al's Perky did 111.8 MPH at The Brodak before A LOT of witnesses who were duly impressed.  Legit in every way.

That wa after seeing 106.5 by Peter Lott with another high tech Perky and 105 by CT Schafer with a basic low tech Perky which was even more impressive.

Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags: Speed Perky 

Advertise Here