News:

• May 02, 2024, 08:34:42 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Another passing  (Read 547 times)

Offline dennis lipsett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Another passing
« on: September 20, 2010, 01:33:04 PM »
 For those who were flying speed and having engines chromed or reworked on in the 50's and 60's the name Franny Wolfe was well known. Franny passed away last week at the age of 91.
For those that wern't active back then the name Franny's Chrome Specialties was well known and his work was on many national speed and rail car record winning models.
Franny never flew to the best of my knowledge but was an avid rail car racer and was fameous for his work on Dooling and McCoy engines. his last public work was a short stint on an engine clinic in model builder in the 70's and he retired from the model scene soon after that.
I spent a little time in his shop as a young kid and learned a lot just listening and watching.
Dennis

Offline dynasoar1948

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Re: Another passing
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 09:26:04 AM »
Dennis,

My brand new wife Gloria and I, on our honeymoon trip between Princeton and Indianapolis in late 1958, stopped at Franny's in Reading and found ourselves spending a hospitable Sunday afternoon with Franny and his wife.  I came away with a new chromed Dooling 61 sleeve and ring set, as well as a new backplate assembly.  Still have both, once run, in the engine sitting on my desk as I write this.

Enjoyable memory of a very nice couple.

Will and Gloria Stewart
William Stewart

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here