News:

• May 06, 2024, 08:10:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 28 buggy engine as b speed engine ?  (Read 967 times)

Offline Mike Greb

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
28 buggy engine as b speed engine ?
« on: July 30, 2008, 08:12:16 PM »
Has anybody used one of the current 28 car or buggy engines in a b speed model ?

Offline Les Akre

• Commander
Re: 28 buggy engine as b speed engine ?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2008, 03:50:28 AM »
Hey Mike

The late Ron Salo used a Sirio or some such .28 car engine in a B speed Job about 4 years ago. He built an assymetric "B" speed airplane hardly larger than an F2A ship that weighed around 23oz., just to show it could be done. It flew fine, and only needed some sorting out propeller and possibly pipe wise to be competitive.
The airplane now belongs to Marty Higgs, and probably won't ever be flown again, which is too bad really.

Les

Offline Ron Blombery

• New Pilot
Re: 28 buggy engine as b speed engine ?
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2008, 06:54:48 PM »
Hello Mike,
I thought you might be interested in my experiences with a Picco 28 car engine.  First thing is that there is a fair amount of work to be done, including replace carburettor with venturi/needle valve, fittings for pipe, custom spinner to fit crankshaft, and perhaps mods to the head.  I raised the liner by .030 to get 180 deg of exhaust timing, and then lowered head by same amount, converting it to a head button and clamp ring arrangement.   With no other modifications, it turns a 6.5 x 6.5 at 28,500 rpm on the ground. 

The plane is an asymmetric using an F2A wing, and weighs 23 oz, of which the engine accounts for nearly 10 oz.   On its first and only flight so far, it did 138mph but the pipe had come loose from the silicone coupler, so it was running without a pipe.   Based on the bench tests, it should be able to do at least 150mph in its current form, maybe more with a bit more development (and running in!). 

Hope this information helps – please ask if you would like to know anything more.

Regards
Ron

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here