News:

• May 01, 2024, 05:17:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: White Ink?  (Read 666 times)

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
White Ink?
« on: February 24, 2009, 09:45:27 AM »
I just realized that you can not print white on most printers.  I have the clear water slide decal material. I need to make white iron crosses and white letters for my DO335.  Has any one came up with a neat way to do this?

HB~>  HB~>   ???  ???  ???
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
Re: White Ink?
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2009, 10:50:47 AM »
John, there is white decal base stock available. Or you could paint a white base where the decals will be. This might be the better way since the decals I have printed didn't have very much opacity to cover dark colors.
Chuck

Offline Andrew Hathaway

• Captain
« Reply #2 on: February 24, 2009, 11:05:20 AM »
As mentioned use the white decal paper.  It just requires cutting close to the edge of the finished decal or you'll have a white outline.  I only use the clear when I'm making a decal with letters or numbers, to keep the spacing and alignment.  The rest of the time I print on the white paper, since the printed image is more true to the graphic anyway.  Anything printed on the clear paper tends to be semi-transparent.

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2009, 10:34:35 PM »
To answer my own question. Some one at work suggested that I print the mirror image on the paper backing of white monacoat trim sheet.  You can then use the image to cut out the letters and you then have peal and stick lettering.  You have to hand space the letters one at a time but it should work.
 #^
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 14, 2009, 10:14:32 AM »
The problem was to make small white lettering for the tail number on my DO 335.  The final answer was to use a color text box with a white number in the middle.  I then fiddled with the color text box till it matched with the airplane.  Printed it on white bumper sticker vinal stock.  I then cut out the box (cut very close to the number) and stuck it on the tail. Looks OK.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Ralph Wenzel (d)

• Captain
« Reply #5 on: March 14, 2009, 01:00:05 PM »
Some years ago, there was a series of PC Printers from ALPS, which could do just what you ask. They also printed great metallic colors, as well. Unfortunately, they've been out-of-business (or, at least, unavailable) for at least 5 years.

Perhaps you could use Higgins Waterproof Ink with a refillable Tech Pen from Rapidograph or Staedtler ? ?

(Too many irons; not enough fire)

Ralph Wenzel
AMA 495785 League City, TX

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here