News:

• April 30, 2024, 10:39:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: WHAT SIZE MUST A SCALE MODEL BE?  (Read 2149 times)

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
WHAT SIZE MUST A SCALE MODEL BE?
« on: June 04, 2008, 09:51:49 AM »
When I was entering scale contest, in the 60's, there was a lot of us building 1" to the foot models. Now that there are so few scale models showing up at most contest maybe we should drop the nonsense about size. After all isn't the SCALE and the CRAFTMANSHIP what is to be judged? This last year a young man entered a 1/2a Mucsiano model in a local scale contest and due to the lack of other contestants in his age group he won, but that should not be the case. If the model measured up to scale and the workmanship was up to snuff the model should have been judged on it's own merits.
         If we limit the size of the entries then what size does it take? I guess if you taxie a P-51 up to the table you would be ok! What I am trying to say is that scale models are meant to be smaller than the full size plane and the Musciano models should be treated the same as any other model. Scale and craftmanship..... not to small.
        Also with the smaller, cheaper models, you may find more contestants.
Larry

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: WHAT SIZE MUST A SCALE MODEL BE?
« Reply #1 on: June 04, 2008, 01:03:23 PM »

(clip)

"...due to the lack of other contestants in his age group he won, but that should not be the case. "

Why should that "not be the case"?  If he won because there were not other entries as you suggest, why should he not win?

"If the model measured up to scale and the workmanship was up to snuff the model should have been judged on it's own merits."

Was not that model "judged on it's own merits"?  If there were not any other models in his age group, what "merits" was it judged on if not on its own?    

"If we limit the size of the entries then what size does it take?"

Where did this idea come from that "we limit the size of the entries"? Thee is nothing in our AMA rules that limits the size of a CL Scale model other than weight and displacement limits.  Is there iome idea somewhere to impose some kind of an artificial limit on the size of a CL scale model?  I certainly hope not.

(clip)

"...the Musciano models should be treated the same as any other model. Scale and craftmanship..... not to small."

Why would a "Musciano model" not be treated as any other model?  Scores for scale models are based on fidelity to scale, craftsmanship and flying points.  Is there some process somewhere that is different than what the rulebook specifies?  What is "too small"?

"Also with the smaller, cheaper models, you may find more contestants."
Larry

Small and cheap models (compared to more expensive and larger models) could result in more contestants.  That would be good.  But, smaller and cheaper models can be built now.  We do not seem to see large turnouts at any scale contest that I am familiar with  with any size scale model.

Larry, somewhere in what you wrote is a message, but I guess I am a little slow here, I do not understand what it is you are trying to say.

Keith Trostle

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: June 04, 2008, 01:17:20 PM »
Well, Keith, I guess that I did not make it very clear.
         I have seen twice in resent times now that the Musciano models were rejected from competition do to their size and even in the contest that this young man entered he was religated to compete with other small models and not allowed to compete with the other larger planes. Since there were no other planes he was handed a trophy and sent on his way ( no one judged the model).
       So I guess that I am just blowing off steam. Please disregard this whole thing...I am old...and it is nap time.  Z@@ZZZ

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 04, 2008, 01:42:11 PM »
There is no rule that says you can't enter a very small model in scale contest.

However the rules favor BIIIIIIIGGG models and you will see that important contests are won by people who don't mind paying for the wood, paint, fuel, lobotizimed R/C systems, storage space, and transport vehicles to come armed with the BIGGGEST models allowed by the rules.

It would be nice if at least some of the classes were reserved for ecomony models, but at the moment, even PROFILE and "FUN" scale are wide open.

Paul Smith

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2008, 02:24:01 PM »
Larry,
There is an upper weight limit of 20# in the Sport Scale Classes and 6 kg in FAI (7 kg for a twin). Size can be anything you can build to that weight limit. There is a minimum for line length that might come into play for the small models.

Beyond that, bigger flies better--it's an aerodynamics, Reynold's number thing. The rules favor models that fly well.

We have seen 1/2A models at the Nats over the last few years.

The contests I have attended have been very liberal about what constitutes a scale model. Often they got poor scores; as it should be in my opinion.

I have picked up first place trophies in Fun Scale with a 1/12th scale model and 3-line system with several competitors registered.

Chuck

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2008, 05:29:57 PM »
Even a 1/10 scale model of a WW II type airplane (42 inch span) won the Natinals Precision Scale event in 2000.

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2008, 05:33:34 PM »
Here is another picture of that same Martin Baker MB 5.

Online Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #7 on: June 04, 2008, 05:44:20 PM »
Wait till you see my new ship. da de DA DA!!!! I hope it is finished for the nats. Half a twin.

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #8 on: June 04, 2008, 07:52:46 PM »
Larry

I do not understand the problem!

Here is a photo of my FAI Scale C-7A Caribou.  It is built at 1 inch to 15.2 inch scale, 1 inch equals 1 ft 3.2 inches.  That should be a small scale model except that the actual airplane has a 95 ft wing span.  My model had a 75 inch wing span.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline LARRY RICE

• 2014 Supporters
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: June 04, 2008, 08:00:57 PM »
 LL~ Ya! I was talking about planes with an 18" wing span. Well, everyone seems happy that scale is going away and I guess that will be a good thing. I still live in the past and the future looks very bleak.
Larry

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: June 04, 2008, 08:28:25 PM »
It would be nice to start up a new "low end" scale class.

Maybe .25 cubic inches, 3-line mechanical controls only, and no retracts.  It seems like we already have four  "unlimited" events.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2008, 03:39:54 PM by ama21835 »
Paul Smith

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2008, 09:36:57 AM »
I think I now understand the matter that Larry was talking about.  And I even agree with the idea that Paul Smith just posted.

We have several categories of CL Scale.  I am not sure what happened at the end of the last rules change cycle but it appeared that the Scale Contest Board voted to eliminate the CL Precision Scale event.  However, it is still in the AMA rulebook.  Nevertheless, we still have the FAI Scale event that is flown, sometimes, at the Nats and it can be flown at any contest if the organizers choose to do so.  So, we have one or maybe two CL events for precision scale where all sorts of detail and flight options would be necessary to successfully compete with other similar models.  One of the problems with these events is that there is a mandatory point deduction if the model does not retract its landing gear an it is   a model of a full size aircraft with a retracting landing gear.  Also, there will be a point deduction if flaps and/or any other function on the full scale aircraft are not operated in flight because of the realism of flight factor in the scoring.  These rules have the unfortunate result that many people do not build the airlane they would like to build because of the "required" complexity of the model.  Because of these complexities, many potential CL Scale modelers just do not build for these events.

For the so-called Designer Scale event, the same rules essentially apply with the same result that few participate.

Then there is CL Sport Scale.  There is a similar situation here because of the realism of flight scoring category and the rules which state that the model of an airplane equipped with a retractable landing gear "should" retract its gear in flight.

Profile Scale exempts the retract rule, so a wide variety of models can be more readily selected by a builder to compete.  Profile Scale can be viewed as an entry level to encourage modelers to build and fly in a scale competition.  There are varying degrees of interest in this event in different parts of the country.  Some very nice models have appeared from time-to-time and the event certainly merits continued support.  But there is a problem with "Profile Scale" in that in itself, it represents an anachronism.  Some people may view these models as caricatures of an airplane with their "slab" fuselages and will shun the idea of ever building such a "scale" model.  (That is unfortunate, because these are fun ad can be easy to do based on my experience with these at the local and Nationals level.)

Even though Profile Scale can be viewed as being an "entry level" event for CL Scale, it may not appeal to very many potential CL Scale modelers.  So, is there a solution here that I think Larry is asking for?  I think that the ideas brought forward by Larry and Paul are worth considering.  Why not try establishing a simplified CL Scale event that restricts flight options to something like only throttle control and further limits the number of flight options that can be scored.  There should be no penalty for not having a throttle, but then one of the neat things about Scale would not be encouraged.  Building a throttle equipped model is not difficult and it is tremendously enjoyable to fly.  The models should be limited to a total dispalcement of say .25 cu in and some equivalent electric power.  Or the models should be limited to a maximum wing span, but I think it better to just limit the things by its engine/motor.

I am not suggesting an immediate formal rules change proposal.  Rather, local groups can set up their own events and see what works and what does not work.  Then, over time, if the interest justifies, start thinking about establishing a formal rules proposal for such an event.

Mike Keville has done something like this with his "1/2A Multi-Engine CL Proflie Scale" event.  (there is that "dreaded" Profile thing again.)  The first of these contests was held in Tucson last Fall and there is an indication that more will enter this year particularly with proxy flying allowed.  (Mike is the originator of the Vintage Stunt Championships and we have seen what that has turned into during the last 20 years.)

There is an example of how a "simplified" set of rules might encourage participation in an event.  Look at the "unofficial" .15 Profile Carrier event.  I know that, locally, there are getting to be as many .15 Profile Carrier entries in our local contest as with the "Official" events of Class I, Class II and AMA Profile Carrier.

Food for thought.

Keith Trostle

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #12 on: June 05, 2008, 11:50:57 AM »
I guess I pretty much agree with Larry that C/L scale is about dead. Since I am not qualified to read minds, I won't offer my opinions as to why people don't build scale models.

I don't agree with the comments that one has to have a multi-function model to win. Based on what I have seen at the Nats over the last 8 or 10 years that I have attended, it is not necessary. I suspect my Sport Scale Typhoon is one of the very few models with more than throttle control. It doesn't have retracts so I guess I suffer on realism, but not as much as guys with small models and high wing loadings that have to fly at a scale speed of Mach 2 or 30 degree angle of attack. FAI is the most demanding class, as it should be. To be competitive the model must be capable of the lazy 8 maneuver or some other aerobatics, or have a mechanical option beyond the throttle. Two of the models on the current USA Scale Team are a Spacewalker and a Piper Cub--not exactly complex airplanes.

These are competition events. Hence the bar will be raised over time, there is no getting around that. We have demonstrated over and over again that "beginners" events can't last. A little logic can show why. What are most beginner events?--something a guy expects to win with his Ringmaster and Fox .35. He painted it blue and put stars on it so it is entered as a Bearcat. But some other guy hooks up a throttle to his blue Ringmaster (Bearcat) and revises the stab--and beats guy #1. And off you go to a "professional level" event that is just too difficult, expensive, or whatever for the guy who does not want to rise to the challenge.

Stunt has the answer for bringing on new competitors: the skill classes. That is not realistic with the small number of people who have scale models.

Maybe there is a market for 1/2A, minimal rule, proxy events and Maximum .25 displacement models. Time will tell.

Chuck

Online Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #13 on: June 05, 2008, 05:08:22 PM »
Chuck,
       I do think scale is dying. When the AMA designed the Muncie sight no consideration was giver for overflying the C/L sight with the R/C stuff. That is why scale has to be flown separate from all other events. Had the R/C sight been put on the south side of the flying area we could have had a true nats . The stunt guys are some of the best builders available and some would compete in C/L scale if it was held when stunt is held. Either at the beginning or end of stunt. I could name a few but the list would be very long.

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #14 on: June 05, 2008, 09:57:22 PM »
Chuck,
       I do think scale is dying. When the AMA designed the Muncie sight no consideration was giver for overflying the C/L sight with the R/C stuff. That is why scale has to be flown separate from all other events. Had the R/C sight been put on the south side of the flying area we could have had a true nats . The stunt guys are some of the best builders available and some would compete in C/L scale if it was held when stunt is held. Either at the beginning or end of stunt. I could name a few but the list would be very long.

I think when the C/L Scale group hitched their wagon to R/C through the NASA SIG thing, including the schedule, that eliminated any participation by Stunt flyers (or any other C/L flyers) that don't live in bordering states of Indiana.

Scale used to be flown by Stunt, Carrier, Racing and Combat guys. Now it cannot be done during the C/L Nationals because... it's not being offered. Big problem.

Solution? Hold C/L Scale during the C/L Nats. Sort out any problems with NASA so as to do so. This looks like a must, or else it is dead. (Judges, circles, times and all are just scheduling problems, not impossible dreams, etc, it CAN be done.)

Chris...

As for 1/2A Scale, here is Jeremiah McMillin's 1991 Jr. Scale Nats winner, a Consolidated Typhoon with a twin port Babe Bee. It was good looking, got a decent static score and qualified easily.
BTW, Jeremiah also flew Speed and Racing, and his dad flew Stunt, at the same Nats. 
« Last Edit: June 06, 2008, 10:12:34 AM by Chris McMillin »

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: June 06, 2008, 05:30:41 AM »
The marriage of CL and RC Scale was a bad one, and one that needs to be annulled. 
Perhaps in the style of Henry (VIII) Tudor.

Free Flight Scale (vol libre) saw the downside of getting cozy with RC on the downstroke and  took a  hard (and effective) stand agianst joinin the "Scale catagory".

The flawed logic of pairing events by flight function rather than FF/CL/RC could just as easily be (mis)applied to aerobatics, racing, and combat.
Paul Smith

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #16 on: June 06, 2008, 11:18:46 AM »
I do recall when Nats scale adjoined the C/L week and there were competitors there that I have not seen since. I have also attended one Nats review/planning meeting (as the NASA rep) after having been C/L scale ED at the Nats. There was an effort made to get scale and C/L together and I thought it was to be for 2008. I was not part of any other planning, so do not know why the schedule subsequently changed. One of the biggest scheduling challenges for the Nats is motel accommodations--there are not that many rooms in Muncie. Events have to be grouped to balance the number of expected participants. Moving C/L scale to whenever C/L is flown would have a couple other hurdles that I see immediately. (1) where to hold static judging. Cost of a facility is significant. Maybe it could be combined with the stunt appearance judging. (2) Reimbursement of judges expenses. I have not seen the cash in /cash out details, but it is entirely possible that some of the R/C money that flows through NASA is subsidizing C/L (both dues and Nats entry fees). Getting judges is a challenge; they are only partially reimbursed now. A lesser reimbursement probably won't help.
Chuck

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #17 on: June 07, 2008, 08:12:49 AM »
I agree!! with Paul on most of his recommendations for a new event.

I would differ in only 2 areas:

1.  Limit the engine displacement to a smaller maximum.  A .25 engine can pull a big model and would bias the playing field toward the bigger engines. 

2.  Allow throttle control to be done either mechanically or with a single function electronic control.  A single channel electronic control is easer for the contestant to set up and operate than a three line system.  It also has the advantage of safety, if line tension is lost the throttle can still be controlled.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #18 on: June 07, 2008, 12:23:22 PM »
The Muncie motel room impact of having Scale at the CL Nats would be minimal.  What, four more rooms?   

The theory is that, when combined with the rest of CL, there would be some degree of overlap with stunt, carrier, and other events, as is days of yore at "The Navy Nats".

I also think the issue of "qualified judges" is overrated.  At a combined Nats there are more people around to induce into working part time, hence, no travel money.  Historically, both Stunt appearance points and Scale static juding were done ON THE FIELD.  No need for a banquet hall, unless you want a banquet hall.
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
A new ELECTRIC-FREE event.
« Reply #19 on: June 07, 2008, 12:30:57 PM »
With all due respect to the man who sells electronic controls, we already have plenty of market to them in Precision Scale. Sport Scale, Profile Scale, Fun Scale, and F4B.

The intent (at least my intent) is to provide a refuse from the buying of advantage with electric stuff in a fundamentally MECHANICAL sport.    Thus, I say: You can use a 2-line bellcrank or a 3-line bellcrank, and nothing else.

I'm perfectly willing to abandon the old events to lobotimized radios, but I sure wouldn't work to make a new one that's no different from the old.
Paul Smith

Online Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #20 on: June 07, 2008, 02:33:18 PM »
Interesting stuff.

Chuck says there was an attempt to get C/L Scale back to the C/L Nats. Good, it should be and possibly will be, and that will be for the better.

Clany's idea of single function electric or two or three line bellcrank is the ticket. More flying, less complication. That idea should make the rules change cycle.

C/L Scale has allowed electric function since at least 1970 since that is the first time I recall seeing it in a beautiful Corsair. The wires went down the flying lines externally and was a huge drag bucket. The electronic systems are easy and reduce line drag and increase the aerobatic possibilities of Scale ships. Acro in scale is something I haven't seen in a long time, but I haven't seen a Scale contest in a long time either!

Sounds like the National Flying Site is ill equippped to deal with a flourishing and successful and full field of events. The people that dreamed up this plan must have been looking at something other than the success of a competition oriented national sanction. Look at the grading and pavement for the Racing and Speed circles and tell me that it is a fine engineering acomplishment!

Chris...

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #21 on: July 23, 2008, 03:05:19 PM »
I have read all of the above post. It looks like to me that I best hurry up and make it to a scale contest if I want to fly in one.

My thoughts on an entry level scale contest:  It probably isn't going to work. All the young kids are flying electric park flayers.  Besides scale by nature is an advanced modeling sport.  Most don't start building scale they evolve into it.  My first airplane was a Ringmaster. 50 years later I finally have the skill, time, and money to take a stab at scale.

Electronics:  I am an electrical engineer so I love electronics. The EXTRA 300S that I am building will have 7 servos in it and a control system of my own design. Not fair you say?  Well what I consider not fair is you guys that can work magic with an airbrush and have flown in many of a stunt competion.  My point is run what you brung and hope you brung enough.  But above all have fun.

High Cost:  For this I have no answer. I built my own electronics, the servos are used from an old RC airplane, the motor is a well used ST G90.  Still I will spend several $100 on this project.  But it is still cheaper per hour then drinking beer and much better for you.  As with any hobby it will cost something. Right now at the cost of gas it will cost more to go to 2 or 3 contest a year then the airplane will cost.

Size:  I must admit I picked a large kit to build. It is a 64" wingspan EXTRA 300S by Great Planes.  I picked this plane for 3 reasons. 1) I already had the ST 90. 2) It takes a certain amount of room to install 7 servos, custom electronics and a smoke system and 3) It doesn't have retracts.  On top of this you have dozens of paint jobs to pick from.

If the creak don't rise and this thing flies, hope to see some of you over the next year or so at the few scale contest left.

PS it would be better if the scale U-control was held at the same time as the U-control nationals.
 S?P
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2008, 08:05:45 AM »
Larry and all,  look at what Mike Keville has done in Tuscon.  This year will be the second year for 1/2A Scale at Christopher Columbus Park.  I was hoping to have one ready to ship out, but, other things have gotten in the road.  I now have several Blackhawk Models kits that would qualify.  But, as in RC flying everybody thinks big is better.  Just look at how many of the smaller stunt planes made the top twenty.  It would be great of the NATS scale competition flew under the same rules as some local scale contests.  How can you tell what a plane is doing a half mile away.  The giant scale planes were flying over the racing circles while we were trying to paint the circles.  By the way I have often thought of a Blackhawk Contest in this part of the country.  Later,  DOC Holliday
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here