News:

• May 02, 2024, 06:04:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Wathen collection of racers at Fla Bob Airport, Riverside, Ca.  (Read 469 times)

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
Wathen collection of racers at Fla Bob Airport, Riverside, Ca.
« on: December 07, 2010, 11:57:20 PM »
I sure am kicking myself for not bringing a camera today. My dad and brother-in-law flew to a local airport, Fla Bob, to eat lunch and wandered into Bob Wathen's hangar. He is a wealthy industrialist that bought the private field after the owner died and has involved the community by investing in education for the local youth with a trade high school, and other philanthropic gestures. He is an old airplane nut, too. In his hangar were four full sized, true to original replica 30's racers, ready to fly.

DeHavilland DH88 Comet as in McRobertson Race winner, 1934. Caudron 460 Racer like the winner of the 1936 Thompson, Rider R-4, better known as the Shoenfeldt Firecracker flown by Tony LeVier, and the Laird-Turner Meteor, winner of the 1939 Thompson.

The Firecracker has a Ranger inline 6, the Comet had it's ultra rare props for the Gypsy Majors off for overhaul, and the Meteor just looked hulking with it's P&W R-1830 and 9 foot 3 blader (said to be from a PBY). The Polish inline six in the Caudron is a beaut and turns left handed just like the Renault in the original.

I've learned my lesson!
Chris...  
« Last Edit: December 08, 2010, 12:30:55 AM by Chris McMillin »

Offline Balsa Butcher

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • High Desert Flier
Re: Wathen collection of racers at Fla Bob Airport, Riverside, Ca.
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2010, 11:31:47 AM »
Chris: You've gotta go back and get some pics...or I've go to find a way to visit. Love those old racers.  8)
Pete Cunha
Sacramento CA.
AMA 57499

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here