News:

• May 13, 2024, 03:13:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: USAAF font software  (Read 4170 times)

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
USAAF font software
« on: April 23, 2016, 10:20:47 AM »
Does anyone have the software for the type fonts used on Army Air Force planes?

It would be great to have it with or without the stencil marks, but I would be happy with it either way.
Paul Smith

Offline bill bischoff

• Admiral
Re: USAAF font software
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2016, 12:25:22 PM »
The font is called "amarillo"

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2016, 01:04:51 PM »
"amarillo"
Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2016, 01:42:27 PM »
I've heard of "amarillo".  I had it on past computer.  What is the current source?
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2016, 02:27:07 PM »
I've heard of "amarillo".  I had it on past computer.  What is the current source?

Paul

What are you looking to do? Do you want the font to bring into your program for decal making?

Cut a mask by hand?

For your cutter/plotter?

Charles

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Welcome to the Stunt Hanger.
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2016, 10:10:45 PM »

Another accurate font is AIRBORNE.  y1
Narrowly averting disaster since 1964! 

Wayne Willey
Albert Lea, MN U.S.A. IC C/L Aircraft Modeler, Ex AMA member

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: April 24, 2016, 08:40:47 AM »
Thanks, I will try your suggestion.

I got Amarillo USAF to work on an older computer.  It seems that their installation procedure had not been updated to be installed on Windows 7 (which is also on the way out, but that's another issue).

I sent a message to the source of Amarillo.  Maybe he has method to get his products onto current in near-future computers.

I want to create the marking on my computer.  Once that is done I will try to make home printed decals or go to a shop & have stickers of spray masks made.   
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2016, 09:05:54 AM »
Interesting thing about fonts and the aircraft they are going on is, you really have to take a good look at your documentation. Follow your documentation.

Sometimes the numbers are condensed and the spacing changed. Even insignias, if the aircraft your modeling has been restored, the application may not be totally correct. So, the model shouldn't be correct either to be correct. Correct?  LL~

Here's a good example on this award winning scale model I did the graphics for. The word NAVY is condensed because of the fit. Not the fit on the model, but on the actual aircraft. A few other numbers were altered from the "correct" font also as was the Star n Bar insignia. The red is a tad thinner. As this appeared on the actual aircraft.

Also, you can't just condense a font because the verticle strokes get thinner than the horizontal and you can see this. The entire letter has to be changed so the stroke thickness stays the same.

I follow documentation as best I can if there is some.

Charles

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2016, 01:45:42 PM »
With some help from the source, I was able to get it working.  Unfortunately, the subject aircraft (like countless others) no longer exists.  It's the world we live in unless everybody wants to model the B-29 FiFi.   I got a couple of first hand photos when the plane existed, better than none.  If I planned on modeling it I would have taken more.

I'm doing a hurry-up job to get it in the air this year.  Today I did the pre-paint weight-in.  Everything except final assembly glue, paint, and bolts.  The airframe weights 2.8 pounds and the powertrain weighs 2.7 pounds for a total of 5.5 pounds, my heaviest model ever and still maybe 1.5 pounds form the goal line.
Paul Smith

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: April 24, 2016, 06:42:33 PM »

What are you building?

Wayne Willey

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2016, 06:23:53 AM »
TB-25J, based on the Brodak B-25 kit.

The TB was a bomber stripped of all weapons and used at Reese AFB from 1946 to 1954, then displayed until circa 1990.
At that time the aircraft, despite strong protests from the city of Lubbock, was taken away and sold to a museum.
The museum dummied it up into a fake B-25B Doolittle raider.  As anyone can figure out, the display has to be a fake because all the real ones were lost.

Perhaps my model will go the same route as the prototype and be converted to a Doolittle raider after flying for a while as a TB.

All I really need are the tail & fuse numbers and U.S Air Force for the nose.  The lettering in the photo is maybe a bit more stretched-out than Amarillo
 USAF.
Paul Smith

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2016, 09:40:23 AM »
Many of the numbers that were on the stab/rudder of aircraft, sides sometimes also, were of a military "stencil" font. As is the aircraft in the photo.

There is a separation or space cutting the letters. Here's one example, but there are may variations.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: April 26, 2016, 02:02:23 PM »
I got as far as a bond paper proof.  The next step is conversion to stickers or stencils.  

I had to convert to jpg and modify the font in PowerPoint.  So now my product is a jpg.
Paul Smith

Offline wwwarbird

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2016, 06:28:50 PM »

Cool! Please keep us posted on the build! y1

Wayne Willey

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2016, 06:35:29 AM »
Not all were "lost", as one landed in Russia. They got to keep it. I wonder what they did with it?  Sure didn't reverse engineer it like they with the three B-29's. H^^

Right.  Lost to us anyway.  I won't be photographing the one in Russia.
It seems like due to the secracy of the Toyko raid and bad weather at sea, there isn't much good documentation of actual Doolittle raiders.  Just fuzzy black-and-white stuff.

Of course, you could go to a museum in Texas and photograph MY TB-25J which has now been modified into a Doolittle B-25B replica.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2016, 06:56:50 AM by Paul Smith »
Paul Smith

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #15 on: April 28, 2016, 11:41:12 AM »
Problem solved!   I found a local race car lettering shop with a very good library of fonts.   They did all the masks I need for my current project. 

Pit Stop Graphics.   586-991-2426

Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here