News:

• May 05, 2024, 04:34:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Two new Rules Change Proposals by Charlie Bauer  (Read 695 times)

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
Two new Rules Change Proposals by Charlie Bauer
« on: March 06, 2010, 09:19:22 AM »
I have just read the two new Rules Change Proposals submitted by Charlie Bauer.

CLS 11-20  Drop Event 510-F4B 

Reason: F4B is no longer an FAI Event.

Comment:  Should we resurrect Precision Scale to replace it, otherwise those F4B models will be competing in Sport Scale and there goes the static scores.

CLS 11-21  Add Event 527 CL Team Scale

Wording of Rule proposed: All of the same rules as (Event) 509 (Sport Scale) except that the pilot and builder must be present.

Reason: RC team Scale is doing great with many entries. This would allow many modelers who can still build but cannot fly because of disability to compete.

Comment: This would establish a separate event whereas the Competition Regulations General Information, All Categories - Section 8 Proxy Flying: Authorizes a Proxy Pilot to fly the model if a physical inability prevents the builder from flying the model.  Proxy Flying is prohibited in Outdoor Hand-Launched Glider, Indoor Hand-Launched Glider, Control Line Combat, Control Line Navy Carrier, Control Line Aerobatics, and all Radio Control events.

Clancy
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline John Witt

• Captain
Re: Two new Rules Change Proposals by Charlie Bauer
« Reply #1 on: March 06, 2010, 09:56:58 AM »
I can see an added rational for a team scale event, which is the case of a builder who invests a large amount of effort and money in a model, but doesn't feel he has the requisite experience/skill to fly it without damage. I suspect this is a reason for many of the RC scale builders to participate that way.

We probably haven't quite reached the expense level of the RC boys, but I know for one case, I am unlikely to ever build another Jenny, simply because of the time it takes. I currently have no problem in flying it myself, but I am certainly (like many of us) approaching an age where I might have enough physical impairment to not feel confident about flying a high value model. I might not be disabled in the legal sense, or perhaps in the somewhat undefined sense that is described in the general rules, but still lack the skill level to participate.

In addition, there are undoubtedly some folks who have no interest in learning to fly, but who would like to see a model they have built flown by someone else.

It seems to me (with no actual data) that a team scale event would add to the pool of scale competitors rather than further subdivide the existing competitor group.

Regards,

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline john e. holliday

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 06, 2010, 10:41:29 AM »
I too like the idea of a team scale event.  I think there are several around here that would bring out their planes if they knew someone or had someone to fly for them.  Now for F4B what can I say.  Guys don't like to compete on the world level anymore it seems like.   H^^
John E. "DOC" Holliday
10421 West 56th Terrace
Shawnee, KANSAS  66203
AMA 23530  Have fun as I have and I am still breaking a record.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 06, 2010, 11:17:22 AM »
Team Scale is OK as a separate new event.

But in regular events the builder and flyer need to be one and the same unique individual person.  Otherwise, the events will be dominated by All Star Teams composed on a master builder and an expert flyer, thereby leaving genuine modelers in the dust.

As in baseball, a top notch pitcher paired up with a slugger DH is better than pitcher who has to bat for himself.

Will these alleged "disabilities" actually have to be proven to justify bringing in a pilot?
Paul Smith

Offline Chris McMillin

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • AMA 32529
« Reply #4 on: March 06, 2010, 01:03:42 PM »
No Paul,
The event is being touted as a new and separate event.
People have been proving their "disability" of not being able to fly scale models ever since I can remember, there should be no proof necessary. That is the whole reason for the event.
It's a well attended and contested event in R/C. Works well.
Great idea.
Chris...

Online Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2010, 01:37:28 PM »
I disagree with dropping the F4B event - why not continue it here in the states just as it is?  This would prevent the need to write new rules for precision, plus, I understand someone said this has happened before due to lack of interest in other countries and then was reinstated after an absence of a few years.  If we continue it here, and they reinstate it, we're way ahead of the game.  There's no rule that says the USA has to follow the rest of the world and no rule that says we can't continue it here.  (Our clpa scoring system is a great example of that.)  Let the rest of the world follow us!  (Oops. a little rable-rousing slipped in there.  Sorry.) n1 n1
I'd hate to see the current crop of F4B ships start to compete in sport scale - Clancy is right on there.
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline BillLee

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: March 06, 2010, 04:24:32 PM »
Where does Charlie Bauer or anybody else think that F4B is gone? If you check the FAI website and download the rules for F4, you will find that F4B is absolutely there.

Now: is there a F4B WORLD CHAMPIONSHIPS? No, due to lack of interest. But that in NO WAY says that there is no F4B.

Regards,

Bill Lee

Edit to add: See page 13 of

http://www.fai.org/aeromodelling/system/files/SC4_Vol_F4_Scale_10.pdf
Bill Lee
AMA 20018

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #7 on: March 06, 2010, 04:55:16 PM »
If you don't fly F4B why do you want to change it. If change has to come, let the ones who fly F4B do the voting up or down.

As for team scale, they use to fly it a few years back, I would vote for that. I would like to team up with someone in team scale, it would make for exciting competition. And if the builder was not capable of flying it for what ever reason, that would allow them to be involved in open competition.

I agree with Will, let the rest of the world do there thing, we can walk on our own.

KEEP F4B..........

Blessings
Allen

Offline Dick Byron

• Vendor
  • Captain
« Reply #8 on: March 07, 2010, 06:33:02 AM »
Allen I agree completely with you. H^^ H^^ H^^

Offline Mike Gretz

• ACE
  • Commander
« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2010, 06:24:04 AM »
Bill Lee is exactly right!  The statement that "F4B is no longer an FAI Event." is wrong

Mike Gretz
District VII - Scale Team Selection Committee

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #10 on: March 08, 2010, 01:52:29 PM »
I sent Charlie an Email showing him what I had posted and invited him to check in to this forum.  I do not know if he will.

Charlie sent me a reply and here is what he said:

Clancy...

Most of F4B models will end up in Designer scale...Precision scale
was never offered at many contests because of time required to do the
static....Team scale has been very successful in RC scale....

Charlie
Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here