News:

• May 08, 2024, 04:13:30 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Tri-Pacer build  (Read 938 times)

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • www.authorwillhinton.com
Tri-Pacer build
« on: March 20, 2010, 01:12:04 PM »
Well, guys, I finally got around to doing some building after the building season is about over here in Northwest Ohio.  I'm building a fun scale Tri-Pacer as a test unit for an intended F4B scale "Tripe".  The fun scale ship is so I can model the full scale airplane I a)got my private license in, B)purchased later to start my flight school with, and C)didn't take enough pictures of it to model properly!  The F4B ship will be built using Mark Lanterman's DVD documentation.  It's really good.
My partner and I repainted the full scale one and I love the scheme, so here it is.  (First picture.)
The model is a 58" span, this one is from a kit that Roger Wildman gave me by Sterling.  (And yes, it IS a typical Sterling kit!
Power here is a Saito 56, 4 stroke, while the F4B ship will have my RCV60-SP so I can totally cowl it.  The nose gear is built using brass telescoping tubing, high temp silver solder, and pickup springs from my guitar parts bin.  I made the arm from 2024 aluminum knowing that I wanted a quite long one to lesson the range of travel and it also is the main keeper for the gear.  I'll shorten the set screws later.
This will be a long build for me as I don't put a lot of time in at the model bench any more, but it won't take me until 2020 as Roger claimed!

The last picture is of the male buck I have ready to use to make the female mold for a combination fiberglass/carbon fiber unit.  You can't tell much in this picture, but since I took it I'll post it.   I was just informed my files are too big for a single post.  I'll put the rest of the pics below in reply posts. The last picture is of the male buck I have ready to use to make the female mold for a combination fiberglass/carbon fiber unit.  You can't tell much in this picture, but since I took it I'll post it.

Control will be with Clancy's 5 channel unit and will use flaps, steerable nose gear, throttle, and maybe brakes.  The last depends on how clever I can get to build a set.

This won't be any steady reporting like the great Proctor Jenny or Allen's re-do on the Waco, but I'll try to keep you abreast of the project as I go.
Blessings,
Will
John 5:24   www.fcmodelers.com

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Tri-Pacer build
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2010, 01:14:59 PM »
Two more pictures.

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2010, 01:16:11 PM »
And the mold buck.  Can't tell much here, so please be patient.

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2010, 07:15:24 PM »
Now THAT is a mighty fine start - on a cool subject. Always been a little odd to me that there ar so many Cubs out there and not nearly so many Vagabonds, Pacers and Tri Pacers.

What, no piped 75? ???   ??? LL~ LL~ LL~
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2010, 08:04:53 PM »
Nope, the dummy pilot objected to the hot pipe going back under his seat!   ~^ ~^ ~^

Offline Dennis Adamisin

• 2019 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2010, 06:02:38 AM »
Nope, the dummy pilot objected to the hot pipe going back under his seat!   ~^ ~^ ~^

sounds like that pilot is NO dummy!    :o  ;D   LL~  8)
Denny Adamisin
Fort Wayne, IN

As I've grown older, I've learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake!

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
« Reply #6 on: March 21, 2010, 10:00:39 AM »
GREAT TO SEE YOU HAVE A GOOD START. AND NEVER MIND WHAT ROGER SAY'S, ALTHO I TALKED WITH HIM YESTERDAY AND HE HAS HIS SPEZEO TOHOLER (NOT SURE ON THE SPELLING) IN COLOR AND TWO COATS OF CLEAR.
 KEEP CRANKEN OLD MAN. #^ #^ #^

BLESSINGS
ALLEN

Offline Mike Keville

• AMA Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #7 on: March 21, 2010, 07:21:29 PM »
Delightful project, Will.  I am rapidly becoming more interested in Scale.  Please do keep us posted on your progress with this one.
FORMER member, "Academy of Multi-rotors & ARFs".

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2010, 06:36:01 AM »
Will do, Mike - I've been threatening to do scale for way-too-long with no action so figured it was time to take the plunge.  I have three good stunters, so who needs more of them?  (Hopefully I didn't just jinx them!) '' ''

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 03:23:37 PM »
Great project, Will. I've always had a soft spot for those planes, since I learned to fly in a Clipper, the immediate predecessor of the Pacer ( had sticks instead of control wheels, no flaps and a 108 hp Lycoming). Coincidentally, I was just in Dayton, Washington over the weekend and there was a derelict Pacer tied down there at local dirt strip. No, I don't need another project!

Good luck with the project, she'll be a neat looking bird.  H^^

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2010, 11:33:14 AM »
Thanks all. 
John - I took my first 6 hours in a Pacer.  Was the Clipper as prone to ground looping as the Pacer?  I thought the fool thing was out to get me!
Will

Offline John Witt

• Captain
« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2010, 01:49:31 PM »
Lordy, yes. I think all the Piper tail draggers were that way, but the Clipper and Pacer were probably the worst. The CG was high above the wheels and too far aft of the wheels. I bought mine in partnership with two brothers (life long friends) and it had a broken tip bow when we got it. I was the only one who didn't ground loop it, and I came close. You really had to dance on the rudder pedals. I think anyone who can fly those planes can handle pretty much anything in the tail dragger department. Other than that point it was a great, economical, flyer that could carry its own weight.

Anyone who has flown an RC Cub that has a scale LG location has probably ground looped it. Just move the gear aft about half the distance to the CG and it will behave entirely differently. The Tripacer mains are aft of the CG, so the ship is directionally stable with the nose wheel off the ground.

I have many fond memories and a couple not so fond of the Clipper.

John W
John Witt
AMA 19892
Edmonds, WA
"Houston, Tranquillity Base here. The Eagle has landed."

Offline Will Hinton

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #12 on: March 23, 2010, 04:06:45 PM »
John, I shouldn't confess this, but I gotta.  I never ground looped the Pacer, got out of it to the Tri-Pacer in time, I guess, but after that experience and after flying a couple of other short coupled draggers, I, with around 600 hours and some CFI time, got careless and actually ground looped a CHAMP!  How in the world?! HB~> HB~>

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here