News:

• April 28, 2024, 11:13:39 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Three Views and Photos of N-3159D  (Read 2010 times)

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
Three Views and Photos of N-3159D
« on: June 18, 2015, 09:06:47 PM »
   Hello Scale Guys!
    Would anyone be able to help a stunt guy out? I'm looking for three views and photos of the Air Truck AT-301 that is painted up like Dusty from the Disney movie "Planes." The owner of the plane is Rusty's Flying Service in Texas and I have tried contacting them by email but have not gotten a response yet. They have some photos on their web site that help, but don't show a decent shot of a "plan view" of the airplane. They rebuilt the airplane from an AT-301 (I think) reciprocating version into the current turbo prop configuration. Since they did the rebuild, I would thing a three view of the airplane might have been created.
  I have contacted the Air Tractor factory, and they don't have a three view of the airplane as it exists now, nor photos. I have some photos that I took and a friend took at Oshkosh in 2013, but they don't show some of the details and out lines that I'm looking for. If I can't find anything better, they may have to do for now.
   I have emailed with Dave at Bob's Aircraft Documentation, (Bob Banka's old company) and struck out there also. Models resembling Dusty have been built for R/C already that I have seen on line, but no way of contacting the owners. They for the most part have replicated the cartoon character, not the full scale representation.
  Any help will be greatly appreciated!
   Type at you later,
    Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Wade Bognuda

• Commander
Re: Three Views and Photos of N-3159D
« Reply #1 on: June 19, 2015, 05:38:50 AM »
Rusty Lindeman in D'Hanis, TX. Call his paint shop. A 301 becomes a 401 when you hang a kerosene burner on the front. Air Tractor in Olney, TX builds new 401's call the sales department.

Offline Bill Little

• Admiral
  • Second in COMMAND
« Reply #2 on: June 19, 2015, 04:48:28 PM »
Hi Dan,

Best of luck on the drawings and documentation!  It seems many of us stunt fliers who have not won the Walker Trophy start looking at Scale when we are around 60! ???   Just a coincidence? 
(Don't count Keith T. he's the exception! LOL!!)

BIG Bear
RNMM/AMM
Big Bear <><

Aberdeen, NC

James Hylton Motorsports/NASCAR/ARCA

AMA 95351 (got one of my old numbers back! ;D )

Trying to get by

Offline Dan McEntee

• 23 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: June 19, 2015, 05:47:23 PM »
Rusty Lindeman in D'Hanis, TX. Call his paint shop. A 301 becomes a 401 when you hang a kerosene burner on the front. Air Tractor in Olney, TX builds new 401's call the sales department.

Hi Wade;
    I've emailed Rusty's Flying Service and have not got a response yet. Will try again. Calling through the day during normal business hours is difficult now. I've emailed with Air Tractor, and they don't have anything on the Dusty modifications. I lifted a three view of the 401B from their website, and they told me it was the same dimensionally as 3159-D, but there are some differences between the two in the fuselage outlines. The three view isn't too critical at this point in time, and after doing some other searching on the net have come up with some more photos that may help me with some outlines, surface detail, and color scheme color placements.
   This is just for a fun type project for right now. Might consider doing a serious scale model later. I got to see the airplane up close at Oshkosh in 2013, and wish I had takem better pics then. Just didn't have this project in mind at that time. I'll muddle through some how!
   Thanks a lot,
   Dan McEntee
AMA 28784
EAA  1038824
AMA 480405 (American Motorcyclist Association)

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2015, 05:42:02 AM »
Dan,

you can use the 3-view you have for documentation if it's close, then show the judges where the full size is different from the 3-view with your photographs. The judges will use the 3-view first and if there are differences they will use the photographs of the full size for outline if there are differences. The photos will take priority over the 3-view if there are any differences.

It's best to point out the differences so that you don't confuse the judges

While it's nice to have the 3-view match the full size exactly that sometimes does not happen due to modifications done by the owner. Remember you can not modify the 3-view. If you create your own 3-view it has be approved before you can use it in competition.

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here