News:

• May 02, 2024, 02:20:20 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Team Scale  (Read 454 times)

Offline chuck snyder

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Commander
Team Scale
« on: May 14, 2010, 11:10:49 AM »
One of the rule change proposals that has not been rejected yet calls for the establishment of a Team Scale event. Builder and Pilot are different people. Logic is that people lose their physical ability to fly a C/L model. I heartily agree with the concept. HOWEVER: The Queen City U-Control Club held this event at a couple of their local contests several years ago, and sponsored Team Scale as an unofficial event at the Nats for 3 or 4 years around the turn of the century. Participation was dismal to nonexistent.

I have no reason to expect that there will be more participation now. Any local club that includes this event at a contest will probably get burned for the cost of the awards. Participation at the Nats, if ever scheduled, will probably not be high enough to warrant continued support of the event.

So I offer some food for thought and a possible cross-proposal. Allow proxy pilots in the C/L Profile and Sport events provided the builder is present and stipulates that he cannot physically fly the model. This would also get more participation, and a few bucks of entry fees, in events that are not particularly overcrowded.

Chuck

Offline Trostle

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
Re: Team Scale
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2010, 02:19:02 PM »
Chuck,

Your idea warrants a cross proposal.  I think the cross proposal could be done in one of two ways, or that two separate cross proposals could be made.

1.  For one cross proposal, add words to the existing proposal to allow proxy flying  for those events you mentioned.  the only way this sort of cross proposal could then take affect is for the basic team scale proposal to be approved.

2.  This alternative would be a bit more tricky, but I think the cross proposal process is flexible enough to handle this.  Go ahead an make reference to the team scale proposal.  But then add words as a separate paragraph that could be adopted to the rulebook, either as part of the team scale wording, but also as a stand alone paragraph in case the team scale proposal is rejected in the final vote. Recognize also that the Interim Vote could result in the failure of the basic team scale proposal if the somewhat similar basic proposal and cross proposal(s) are structured and prioritized accordingly.  (This is one of the reasons that the Contest Board Chairmen and the Board members are paid so handsomely for their services.)

Keith

Offline Clancy Arnold

• Admiral
  • I am 5 Ft. 8 In., the Taube is 7 Ft. 4 In.
« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2010, 04:46:00 PM »
Keith, Chuck
No proposal is necessary.  Proxy flying is allready allowed in Control Line Scale, See rule below.
Clancy

The Competition Regulations: General Information all categories, page 10 Section 8. Proxy Flying: A proxy flier may be designated by the builder only in those cases where the CD is convinced of the physical inability of the builder to fly the model himself.  The proxy flier must be of the same age classification as the builder or, if younger, must have the Event Director's approval after he has assured himself that the younger pilot is capable of flying the aircraft.  Inexperience or absence shall not be considered physical inability within the meaning of this ruling.  It shall be required, in cases where physical inability is not readily apparent, that the builder produces written evidence to this effect from a competent authority.  Proxy flying is specifically prohibited in the following events: Outdoor Hand-Launched Glider, Indoor Hand-Launched Glider, Control Line Combat, Control Line Navy Carrier, Control LIne Aerobatics, and all Radio Control events.

Clancy Arnold
Indianapolis, IN   AMA 12560 LM-S
U/Tronics Control
U/Control with electronics added.

Offline chuck snyder

• Commander
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2010, 05:57:45 PM »
Clancy,
The Scale rules, page SC-2, section 4 in effect prohibit proxy fliers except in R/C team scale. I would think the event specific rules supercede the general rules.

Offline Paul Smith

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: May 17, 2010, 06:06:43 AM »
I think that if a person is able to dominate a event for 50 to 60 years, that's a real accomplishment.

But if somebody dominates an event for 50 years (using the stated rules to his legitimate advantage), then campaigns for a rules change to allow him to dominate it forever, that's dirty pool to say the least.  The guy probably wouldn't have won the first 40 years, if a master builder could recruit the best possible pilot, regardless of absence or disability, but just because he could get a better pilot.  Having the same person win forever does not make for a healthy sport in the long run.  Outside of modeling, the most popular sports have a limited window of opportunity to rise to the top.

Pilotage is a key element in Scale, with 50% of the points in Profile & Sport and 90% in Fun.  Letting a hired gun do the flying isn't any more acceptable than hiring a CLPA or Combat pilot.

Perhaps if the new "top scale" event is run like AMA Scale in the early 60's (about 300 points static and 20 flying), I could agree with letting anybody fly the 10 laps.
Paul Smith

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here