News:

• April 26, 2024, 08:44:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Team scale project  (Read 2216 times)

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Trade Count: (0)
  • Admiral
    • Fellowship of Christan modelers
Team scale project
« on: December 01, 2014, 08:10:56 AM »
Mike McHenry and I are building a Extra 300S for "Team Scale". It started out as a Great Planes kit but like most R/C kits the wording on the kit information is "semi-scale". With the help of Greg Prater at the plans department at AMA he took the scale three views and blew them up to the scale of the kit. The wing was pretty close to scale but the stab & elevator, fin & rudder had to be tweaked. The landing gear angle was off too but that took little work to make it scale. We will power it with a OS 65 glow and 2.4 radio.
If you like you can follow the build progress, go to the NASA web site on the "Flicker" page; https://www.flickr.com/photos/99965155@N02/sets/
Have a great building season and we'll see you at the Toledo show and at the 2015 Nats. (Lord will-en)

Blessings
Allen

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
Re: Team scale project
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2014, 10:57:10 AM »
When I built the Great Planes RV-4 kit the elevator and rudder were wrong also, I had to cut new parts that matched the 3-view

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2014, 01:41:48 PM »
Fred, as you know some R/C scale kits are a good place to start. And we also know a person must have the "scale" drawings to start with too. It makes for a faster build then designing one from scratch. But if you are a sport flyer only it really does not matter.

Blessings
Allen

Offline John Rist

• 24 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2014, 02:47:53 PM »
As most know I have an EXTRA 300 S built from the Great Planes kit.  The biggest problem I had was it was heavy.  It pulls like a bear.  I have a Sato 120 4C for power.  It works great.  I had all kind of trouble getting a 2C to idel reliably.  I also had quitting problems at mid range.  If at all possible consider a 4C for power.  Are you going to use smoke? PS it is great flyer.  Lands smoothly and handles high flight well.
John Rist
AMA 56277

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2014, 04:28:01 PM »
John, I have had that problem too, but have cured that by using an on board glow driver. I have had that problem with both 2 & 4 strokes.
Mike and I are building this airplane with throttle only and all our options will be aerobatic, loop, figure eight, wing over,  inverted flight, throttle control and finishing up with taxi. I thought about smoke but we wanted to keep it simple.
What are your plans for 2015? Hope to see you at the "Nats" next year.
Blessings
Allen

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
  • Just here for the fun of it also.
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 06:21:05 PM »
Allen,

Nice aircraft to model, the Extra 300.  H^^

I have an idea for the scheme and the graphics. I have them, but full size. All I have to do is scale them down!  ;D

Good luck with the project!

Trump Derangement Syndrome. TDS. 
Avaiojet Derangement Syndrome. ADS.
Amazing how ignorance can get in the way of the learning process.
If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 06:49:26 PM »
Charlie, can you fix me up with some "Red Bull" graphics?
Blessings
Allen
« Last Edit: December 01, 2014, 07:31:05 PM by Allen Goff »

Offline Fred Cronenwett

• 2016 supporter
  • Admiral
    • Lafayette Esquadrille
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2014, 08:16:20 PM »
Here is a picture of John's Extra 300 that he flew at our 2014 Broken Arrow CL scale contest this past September in St Louis

Fred
Fred Cronenwett
AMA CLSCALE7 - CL Scale
Model Aviation CL Scale columnist

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2014, 08:49:12 PM »
Charlie, can you fix me up with some "Red Bull" graphics?
Blessings
Allen

Gee, I don't know Allen, that's a tough one.

But seeing I've already made them for many modelers, including this modeler, at different sizes BTW, I guess so!  LL~ LL~ LL~

Gotcha!

I will need measurements for the exact fit, even though I have them sized for the Extra 300.

Blessings Allen

If you're Trolled, you know you're doing something right.  Alpha Mike Foxtrot. "No one has ever made a difference by being like everyone else."  Marcus Cordeiro, The "Mark of Excellence," you will not be forgotten. "No amount of evidence will ever persuade an idiot."- Mark Twain. I look at the Forum as a place to contribute and make friends, some view it as a Realm where they could be King.   Proverb 11.9  "With his mouth the Godless destroys his neighbor..."  "Perhaps the greatest challenge in modeling is to build a competitive control line stunter that looks like a real airplane." David McCellan, 1980.

Offline Allen Goff

• Charter Member
  • Admiral
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 05:38:32 AM »
You-da-man Charlie. I'll take some measurements and get back to you by pm. Thanks. mw~
Blessings
Allen

Offline Avaiojet

• 22 supporter
  • Admiral
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 06:46:46 AM »
You-da-man Charlie. I'll take some measurements and get back to you by pm. Thanks. mw~
Blessings
Allen

Allen,

Are you sure you don't like this scheme, it's authentic, not Photoshop, these are photos of the full size aircraft.    ;D

Advertise Here
Tags:

Advertise Here